• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

A pet peeve of mine is that Spider-man seems like he is picking up speed a lot when he is in mid air and going thorough the window and well after he bounces from the column... it looks like he picks up a lot of speed all of a sudden.

That's because he's shooting webs either side of the window to thrust himself through. Look at how his arms behave after he leaps from the column.

Not really sure the fact you are voting for Gary really matters, was not really that you supported a pro Trump organsiation was far more what that group was doing and saying in particular the racist stuff. I would be very worried if gaming culture was this upset just because someone is voting Trump (who personally think is a really bad choice and said some really disgusting things) that is there right and should not impact there work in gaming (might be some jobs it would be justified to impact them but gaming/tech is not one of them). This (atleast from my point of view) it is a lot more the fact you were funding people to spread offensive crap, does not matter who you politcally support if you are a public figure should not be funding trolling/racisim in 2016.

Breads

Banned
At first glance he does look like a troll. I didn't know who he was before watching the video linked in the previous page, and my first reaction was to think that had to be an act. I mean, I'm still not convinced that's real. It's too much. :-|

Worthless distinction. Yes he's a troll. His popularity skyrocketed from the fact that he was hoisted up as one of the good gays for pretending to be self-hating, framing bigotry as "controversial opinions that the liberal media is trying to snuff out", and misogyny as "thin skinned PC culture". He is propped up by GGers, the alt-right, and internet hate mobs in general and he is their figurehead. He fetishizes free speech and outrageousness, while selling the LGBT community out (dangerous faggot tour!) to a formerly disenfranchised group of people who felt like their right to discrimination and bullying was being oppressed. He gave a voice to the basket of deplorables because he found it a way to line his pockets with money. And nothing more.

What does it matter whether or not he is doing what he does as a troll. He still does it. This is his career.

That's because he's shooting webs either side of the window to thrust himself through. Look at how his arms behave after he leaps from the column.
I hope this is going to be a thing that sporadically pops up throughout the rest of this thread.

"It's not just about supporting Trump, Luckey supports a xenophobic hate organization."
"Oculus' response is not nearly good enough. I'm out."
"Regardless of how much of what he's saying he actually believes, Milo is a harmful garbage person."
"Where do you draw the line for a boycott?"
"THE REASON SPIDER-MAN ACCELERATES IS THAT..."

superbeau

Neo Member
Milo does like to play his provocateur schtick (if it was revealed he isn't gay I wouldn't be shocked) but if someone is trying to convince me that they're a bad person; I believe them.

I don't like calling him a troll though. That kinda lumps him in with the airheads online informing me they humped my mother. It belies what a despicable mound of fermented excrement he's proven himself to be. He's human jenkem.

Though I hate to ask someone to catch me up, butwith Palmer under the microscope these past days, is there any reason to think he doesn't explicitly support gamergate and their actions?

Milo does like to play his provocateur schtick (if it was revealed he isn't gay I wouldn't be shocked) but if someone is trying to convince me that they're a bad person; I believe them.

I don't like calling him a troll though. That kinda lumps him in with the airheads online informing me they humped my mother. It belies what a despicable mound of fermented excrement he's proven himself to be. He's human jenkem.

Though I hate to ask someone to catch me up, butwith Palmer under the microscope these past days, is there any reason to think he doesn't explicitly support gamergate and their actions?

I believe he does. I haven't trolled through his twitter to see if there are gamergate likes, but his girlfriend is a gamergater through and through. She went to gamergate meetups.
xbi1xasccsd78arjgqrj.png

chadskin

I hope that, after a weekend of soul-searching, we'll get another statement from Oculus / Facebook / Palmer today or in the days to come as there are still a number of unanswered questions, in particular with regards to the NimbleRichMan account but also with regards to his purported support of Gary Johnson that doesn't line up with his actions (participating in a Trump rally, liking pro-Trump tweets, contributing to a group founded by The_Donald moderators). Arguably, he should also shine a light on the type of his relationship to Milo Yiannopolous in the interest of full disclosure.

According to CNET, "Luckey declined to reply to repeated requests for comment" on Friday after his first statement, so I hope the media will continue to press Oculus / Facebook / Luckey to comment on this. With Oculus Connect coming up in two weeks, I don't think they can, or should, just try to sweep this under the rug and hope it all blows over. Imagine if this had happened to Sony or MS and E3 were two weeks away, that'd be the number 1 question everyone would ask every Sony spokesperson about and it'd seriously cloud the corporate message they'd be trying to send out to the public.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I hope that, after a weekend of soul-searching, we'll get another statement from Oculus / Facebook / Palmer today or in the days to come as there are still a number of unanswered questions, in particular with regards to the NimbleRichMan account but also with regards to his purported support of Gary Johnson that doesn't line up with his actions (participating in a Trump rally, liking pro-Trump tweets, contributing to a group founded by The_Donald moderators). Arguably, he should also shine a light on the type of his relationship to Milo Yiannopolous in the interest of full disclosure.

According to CNET, "Luckey declined to reply to repeated requests for comment" on Friday after his first statement, so I hope the media will continue to press Oculus / Facebook / Luckey to comment on this. With Oculus Connect coming up in two weeks, I don't think they can, or should, just try to sweep this under the rug and hope it all blows over. Imagine if this had happened to Sony or MS and E3 were two weeks away, that'd be the number 1 question everyone would ask every Sony spokesperson about and it'd seriously cloud the corporate message they'd be trying to send out to the public.

I'm imagining come 9am PST there is going to be a line 40 people long to get into the HR office at the Oculus HQ.

They're going to need to install one of those "take a number" systems.

Arkeband

Banned
Nah, man. Fuck Joe Rogan. Dude can go around being the comedy police but then he has to be fair he gives a platform to someone like Milo? Inexcusable.

I'm glad that a person routinely being given a platform by the mainstream media is given the opportunity to sit down with a long form podcast host and be forced to reason out all of his ridiculous views. Joe yells "bullshit" at Milo and starts arguing with him during the first interview. He's feeling him out while he interviews him. And then after Milo leaves he basically shit talks him to other guests saying that he's playing a character, something Milo vehemently denies.

Joe being the "comedy police" is also not a bad thing, it keeps comedians on their toes and also makes the general public more aware of just how prevalent stealing bits is in the industry. The only people he's gone after are known hacks, and killing Mencia's career was a public service.

This is getting off track though, this is supposed to be about Palmer Luckey, not Joe Rogan.

Grief.exe

The tale of two billionares

Elon spends his money on projects he deems will extend the life of the human race the longest.
Luckey spends his money on spicy white supremacist memes.

tesla-motors-ceo-elon-musk-paid-over-600000-james-bonds-lotus-esprit-car.jpg

palmer-luckey-creator-of-the-oculus-rift-founder-of-oculus.jpg

Eirwat

Neo Member
Whenever I read stuff like this I just get sad. What reason does lucky have to project his problems and fears on these people?

demigod

Guys lay off of Luckey, the man is innocent. Lets sit back, take a deep breathe and forget about all of this. Go back and enjoy videogames and VR!

Luckey if you're reading this, PM me for my address for the cheque.

sasliquid

Elon spends his money on projects he deems will extend the life of the human race the longest.

Tbf Musk is also a bit of bigot but not on the same scale and he spends his money a lot better

Kelsdesu

tesla-motors-ceo-elon-musk-paid-over-600000-james-bonds-lotus-esprit-car.jpg

palmer-luckey-creator-of-the-oculus-rift-founder-of-oculus.jpg

That is what I find most disconcerting. Elon musk is like birthright Lex Luthor and Palmer is like Jesse Eisenberg Lex.

thuway

I just don't understand what could have motivated Palmer to ignore the success and good will he's earned from Oculus, the VR community, the gaming industry, and the myriad of people who praise him for innovating (even if not accurately so) VR.

How does a person whose reputation gave off the vibe of being a likeable passionate and enthusiastic visionary harbor such hurtful confrontational beliefs? I think that's what gets me more than any thing else. He's surrounding himself with a group of people who've made a living and a following destroying other people' self esteems and playing the prodigal Devil's Advocate. Why would he- want to do that?

To make matters worse - Oculus and the employees and developers that are making games for it - are suffering for it.

Dram

Maybe he's always had these beliefs, but he was only able to let his mask drop once he became a millionaire? Apparently the same thing happened with the guy who made Minecraft.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Maybe he's always had these beliefs, but he was only able to let his mask drop once he became a millionaire? Apparently the same thing happened with the guy who made Minecraft.

I think he's always been this way. The money he has allows him to weaponize his hatred.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The most troubling aspect of this is that now GamerGate/Alt-Right has their crosshairs firmly on the VR industry thanks to Palmer fucking Luckey.

If those assholes start harassing my developer friends in the VR industry that happen to be women like they did to my friends in the game industry I'm going to absolutely lose my shit.

FB has to do something about Luckey.

There is a goddamn GAMERGATER in charge at Oculus. How can FB/Oculus not understand the implications of this???

The craziest thing is that if GG/Alt-right starts harassing a woman/minority/LGBT at Oculus, their BOSS is funding them to do so. Can you imagine?

Hell, given the news of Palmer sneaking around reddit/4chan funding alt-right groups and him being buddy-buddy with Milo and other GG/Alt-righters, for all we know Palmer himself might be anonymously harassing people as well for a "jolly good time".

Paz

I believe he does. I haven't trolled through his twitter to see if there are gamergate likes, but his girlfriend is a gamergater through and through. She went to gamergate meetups.
xbi1xasccsd78arjgqrj.png

This can't be real, Luckeys partner is an active member of Gamergate?

Like, what in the actual fuck, she wants to be involved in the hate movement targeting developers?

I guess this puts his funding if racist assholes in perspective. Hoping this is a fake screencap tbh cos the alternative is just too sad.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Like, what in the actual fuck, she wants to be involved in the hate movement targeting developers?

I guess this puts his funding if racist assholes in perspective. Hoping this is a fake screencap tbh cos the alternative is just too sad.

He's been "liking" her GG-related twitter posts for a very long time as well.

Wallach

It's not fake. I mentioned it offhand a while back (way before all this) when he originally tweeted about going to the Game of Thrones premiere and tagged her in that tweet. When I went to look at her profile to see who she was all of that shit was there. It went way, way back.

inner-G

Banned
Whether it's deserved or not, he's the face of Oculus. He's the one on their magazine covers.

You have to give up some public individuality when you're in a public position like that. It's how the real world works.

He's going to drag Oculus under with this.

Buburibon

Worthless distinction. Yes he's a troll. His popularity skyrocketed from the fact that he was hoisted up as one of the good gays for pretending to be self-hating, framing bigotry as "controversial opinions that the liberal media is trying to snuff out", and misogyny as "thin skinned PC culture". He is propped up by GGers, the alt-right, and internet hate mobs in general and he is their figurehead. He fetishizes free speech and outrageousness, while selling the LGBT community out (dangerous faggot tour!) to a formerly disenfranchised group of people who felt like their right to discrimination and bullying was being oppressed. He gave a voice to the basket of deplorables because he found it a way to line his pockets with money. And nothing more.

What does it matter whether or not he is doing what he does as a troll. He still does it. This is his career.

You're right, it doesn't matter. I made the mistake of trying to describe what learning about that individual for the first time last night felt like to me. I just couldn't, and for a moment didn't want to believe someone would act like that on camera, let alone do it professionally to influence politics (which by the way I know nothing about beyond who's running for president in the states this year). In any case, it reminds me to refrain from posting before doing my research on any given subject. Thank you.

Mahonay

Banned

It's real. Her Twitter that she or Luckey deleted when this all blew up was absolutely filled with gamergate stuff and other hateful shit.

Exuro

Have any outlets posted anything today? Don't think Oculus/Facebook should be let off until we get a proper response.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
No acknowledgment/response from FB yet? They're gonna try sweeping this one under the rug aren't they? For shame...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Are there any good links to these memes that he's funding? Trying to figure out how memes are even funded on that level.

Mahonay

Banned
No acknowledgment/response from FB yet? They're gonna try sweeping this one under the rug aren't they? For shame...
Seems like it.

Oculus can go fuck themselves this point forward for me personally. I'm sure there are plenty of others that are not going to let this down either, as much as Oculus are trying to treat this like just a blip on the radar.

Paz

It makes me sick to think that the founder and face of Oculus is funding and supporting racist shitposting, it makes me doubly sick that his partner is a gamergater and that means his views are likely aligned, that is a hate group that targets developers specifically.

Then you have people like Jason Rubin defending him as a person and I just don't even know what to say anymore.

Then you have the Oculus CEO basically saying it's a non issue and I think at this point I've stopped caring that I know there are good people at Oculus.

Fuck this whole thing. Someone needs to write an article that puts all of these points in context and explains just how wrong the whole situation is.

foltzie1

Seems like it.

Oculus can go fuck themselves this point forward for me personally. I'm sure there are plenty of others that are not going to let this down either, as much as Oculus are trying to treat this like just a blip on the radar.

What are you expecting Facebook to do?

Do you know that at least one prominent FB board member is actively supporting Trump and spoke on his behalf at the RNC convention?

Mahonay

Banned

Do you know that at least one prominent FB board member is actively supporting Trump and spoke on his behalf at the RNC convention?
I said Oculus only. I mean maybe Facebook would step in but I don't see it happening.

Also THIS IS MORE THAN JUST TRUMP SUPPORT, for the hundredth god damn time. He directly funded a hate group with thousands of dollars and has shown no remorse for it.

If they haven't said or done anything by the end of the day I imagine its not going to happen. I'm highly considering selling off my Gear VR even though I love it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I like Joe Rogan's podcast. His thing is that he really lets the guest take the topic in whatever direction they want. He'll have guests from all walks of life and he never shuts anyone down or argues too much with them. He does a really good job of letting the guest give their own viewpoint on whatever subject they may be discussing. With the non-confrontational free-form 3 hour format his guests really do let their guard down, and they exhaust their talking points really quick, so it's enlightening to listen to what people have to say contrasted to how they comport themselves in a standard 10-30 minute tv appearance.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It makes me sick to think that the founder and face of Oculus is funding and supporting racist shitposting, it makes me doubly sick that his partner is a gamergater and that means his views are likely aligned, that is a hate group that targets developers specifically.

Then you have people like Jason Rubin defending him as a person and I just don't even know what to say anymore.

Then you have the Oculus CEO basically saying it's a non issue and I think at this point I've stopped caring that I know there are good people at Oculus.

Fuck this whole thing. Someone needs to write an article that puts all of these points in context and explains just how wrong the whole situation is.
The lack of perspective/empathy from high profile people like Rubin & the CEO is fucking insulting imo. Keeping the focus on the company image and how it affects the company but completely dismissing/ignoring why this whole thing blew up and is so fucked up in the first place. It is a reality lesson which I'm constantly reminded on a daily basis; people with money/power are no better than your average humans and can be even blinded by it in most cases. It is a fucked up reality we live in but luckily we have conscious humans who see the bigger picture and won't let this be swept under the rug as if it's nothing. Hopefully more conscious people in the media will follow up and put greater effort towards exactly what you described in your last sentence.

This is not something we can just forget or forgive. A public figure like that must be held accountable for his fucked up actions.

SummitAve

Banned

You'd think they'd go after The Daily Beast or Gideon Resnick for libel unless they're cool with their employees and product being completely defamed?

I'm guessing Palmer is on his way out and it's only a matter of time. There are likely complex contractually concerns with a split like this that could take time to figure out.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I just find it wild that public figures supporting Trump seem to get much larger blowback than Trump does for literally being Trump.

If they haven't already announced a press meeting, I doubt they'll say anything more on the subject.

Fuck Palmer and fuck Oculus, won't support a single time. It's not like they're alone in the shithole technocrat circle but it's easy to avoid these two.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I just find it wild that public figures supporting Trump seem to get much larger blowback than Trump does for literally being Trump.

Literally 5 posts before this one, it was stated for the umpteenth time that this is not about Trump support. I mean what the hell, can you at least bother to read the most recent page before posting?

Mahonay

Banned

Literally 5 posts before this one, it was stated for the umpteenth time that this is not about Trump support. I mean what the hell, can you at least bother to read the most recent page before posting?
YEP
I said Oculus only. I mean maybe Facebook would step in but I don't see it happening.

Also THIS IS MORE THAN JUST TRUMP SUPPORT, for the hundredth god damn time. He directly funded a hate group with thousands of dollars and has shown no remorse for it.

Top Bottom