• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack/Puzzle League series turns 20

Been on a real Panel de Pon kick lately, only to have it suddenly come to my attention that today is its 20th anniversary! Whoa! Let's talk about this awesome series!

NkM5sb0.png

For starters, Panel de Pon is a series of puzzle games published by Nintendo and generally developed by Intelligent Systems. Though it's gone by many, many different names (at least outside of Japan), Panel de Pon's gameplay has remained virtually identical. Like many other puzzle games, the goal is to clear blocks of the same color by lining three or more of them in a row. The twist is, unlike puzzle games of its ilk, there are no falling blocks for you to place. Instead, rows of blocks rise from the bottom of the screen, and you control a cursor that can move freely around the board and swap the position of any two blocks horizontally. As a result, Panel de Pon is a very action-heavy, fast paced puzzle game with the potential for players to create huge combos on the fly. Arguably, the meat of the game is played competitively, either vs. a computer or another player, where players can drop garbage blocks on the other by clearing 4 or more blocks in a row, or creating combos.

Panel de Pon (JP) / Tetris Attack (US/UK)
Platform: SNES, Wii VC (JP), Wii U VC (JP)
First Release: 10/27/95

The beginning of the series, as well as the brand confusion. Panel de Pon stars the flower fairy Lip, whose fairy friends have been cursed by the devil king Thanatos. Lip sets off to free them of their curse by besting them in puzzles, and then going to take on Thanatos. For a puzzle game, Panel de Pon came packed with a number of modes and features, including a single player Story Vs. mode, an Endless Play mode, Timed Play, Line Clear, Puzzle Mode, and tutorials, in addition to featuring two player modes.

It was decided that magical fairies and the name "Panel de Pon" likely wouldn't be very marketable outside of Japan, so the decision was made to rebrand the game to release in western territories. Nintendo decided to utilize the Tetris license and name the game "Tetris Attack" (which has caused issues for potential rereleases of this version) and altered the majority of the visuals in the game to be themed after Yoshi's Island. Rather than being about Lip and her friends, the story of Tetris Attack involves Yoshi freeing the inhabitants of Yoshi's Island from a curse Bowser placed on them, and also includes some arrangements of tunes from Yoshi's Island. Otherwise, it's essentially the same game.

Brief additional mentions to BS Panel de Pon - Event '98 and Yoshi no Panepon BS-ban, two Satellaview releases which I don't know a whole lot about, aside from the latter being an adaption of the Yoshi-themed Western version.

Yoshi no Panepon (JP) / Tetris Attack (US/UK)
Platform: GB, 3DS VC (JP)
First Release: 10/26/96

Released a year after the SNES version (around the same time as the US release), the Game Boy version of Panel de Pon adopts the Yoshi's Island themed aesthetic for all regions. It's a very similar, albeit less favorable version of the SNES game, with the most noteworthy difference being the absence of computer-controlled fields on screen. Instead, the opponents in the Story Mode have a health bar that is reduced as a replacement for dropping garbage blocks on their field.

Pokemon de Panepon (JP) / Pokemon Puzzle Challenge (US/UK)
Platform: GBC, 3DS VC
First Release: 9/21/00

Panel de Pon once again gets a reskin, this time themed after Pokemon Gold and Silver. Once again, very similar to the last handheld release, but this time with improved gameplay more similar to that of the SNES version, and far superior graphics and sound (including new arrangements of music from Pokemon Gold and Silver). However, Story Mode still uses the health bar from the GB version. New to the series are unlockable characters, which require fulfilling specific conditions in the Story Mode to unlock, and Garbage Mode, which is essentially Endless Mode with garbage blocks continuing to fall on the field.

Interestingly, it's possible this game may have been initially intended to retain the Panel de Pon theming from the SNES game and be Game Boy compatible, as within the game, an early version of Panel de Pon GB is accessible, including visuals and music based on the SNES game. It's even still accessible in the 3DS Virtual Console rerelease, try it out!

Pokemon Puzzle League (US/UK)
Platform: N64, Wii VC
First Release: 10/25/2000

Another Pokemon themed Panel de Pon game, released within days of Puzzle Challenge, but somehow very different! Rather than being based off of the Pokemon games, this game's theme is inspired by the Pokemon anime, and the dubbed version at that (as this game was never even released in Japan). Characters from the first two seasons of the Pokemon anime appear, and the music primarily consists of hilarious MIDI versions of tracks from the 2.B.A. Master CD. New to this version are higher difficulty levels for the computer, a 3D mode with a horizontally-wrapping field, and the ability to make custom puzzles, making this the most packed home console version of the game released in the West.

Nintendo Puzzle Collection (JP)
Platform: GCN (JP)
First Release: 2/7/03

... all in all, though, I'd consider the Nintendo Puzzle Collection version of Panel de Pon to be my favorite out of all of them. Both Dr. Mario 64 and Pokemon Puzzle League were never released in Japan, so enhanced versions of the two, in addition to a new version of Yoshi's Cookie, were packaged together in this collection. The game returns to the setting of the original Panel de Pon, but this time features a new cast of fairies, including the main protagonist Furil, who's... more or less indistinguishable from Lip. In addition to enhanced visuals and music, the most noteworthy change in this version is the addition of up to 4 player multiplayer. One other neat feature of the game is that it came packaged with a GBA/GCN link cable, allowing you to transfer a mini version of the game to your GBA. The GBA version was very barebones, but it's still a neat feature. Sadly, this would not only be the last time a Panel de Pon game retains its original aesthetic, but it's also the last character-focused Panel de Pon.

Dr. Mario & Panel de Pon (JP) / Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (US/UK)
Platform: GBA
First Release: 9/13/05

From here on, the series finally decides to permanently adopt the "Puzzle League" name from Pokemon Puzzle League in the west. Panel de Pon is once again packed in with Dr. Mario, but this time there's not really a whole lot remarkable about it. Though for the first time on a handheld version, CPU opponents have a visible field, there's not much in the way of improvements beyond that. All the features from Pokemon Puzzle Challenge are intact, aside from the replacement of the Story Mode with single rounds against the computer. Additionally, no characters are present in the game. Giving it, if you ask me, a bit of a sterile feel. Still, in the end Panel de Pon is Panel de Pon, right?

Panel de Pon DS (JP) / Planet Puzzle League (US) / Puzzle League DS (UK)
Platform: DS
First Release: 4/26/07

Panel de Pon makes its way to the DS as part of the Touch! Generations brand. This game is probably the most different from its predecessors, with changes not limited to touch controls and some mechanical changes. Fortunately, for fans of previous games, all these options can be altered to make the gameplay identical to that of previous versions, and operate with button controls. Though the lack of Story Mode and characters are still lamented, this is a pretty packed version of the game, with significant new features like Online Play, Download Play for up to 4 players, new types of Puzzles, and customizable visuals (including a Japanese-exclusive Panel de Pon theme featuring Lip and her theme music). Although some weren't thrilled about the aesthetic direction of the series, it remains a solid entry.

Chotto Panel de Pon (JP) / Puzzle League Express (US) / A Little Bit of... Puzzle League (UK)
Platform: DSiWare
First Release: 1/29/09

Another mini version of Panel de Pon, this time based on the DS version. There are no Puzzles or Multiplayer in this version, but it's nice to have a downloadable version of Panel de Pon to take with you wherever you go. Still, with Pokemon Puzzle Challenge available on 3DS Virtual Console, this game is a bit of a hard sell to any 3DS owners, with its main advantage being visible CPU fields and additional controls and settings.

- - - - -

So, that's more or less the current state of the series. I'm personally very surprised that it's been over 6 years since a new entry in the series (really 8, given the DSiWare version is just a cut down port). I have no idea how well the games do or anything like that, but I doubt they're particularly large endeavors. At the very least, I'd love a new version I could play online (and another character-focused one, if I'm being greedy).

Though this may not come as a surprise due to the number of releases the series saw up until 2007, Intelligent Systems themselves seem to have been pretty invested in the series. Over the course of a decade, they managed a Panel de Pon homepage, featuring official assets like sprites, art and music, tutorials, fan-submitted art, stories and videos, and even endorsed fansites and Panel de Pon tournaments. Sadly, support for the site, and the community as a whole, seemed to fall off a cliff around the release of the DS game. It's a shame, but I had no idea a community for the game even existed until just recently, so I just think it's cool that it was there at one point.

I suppose there's not really a whole lot to talk about in regards to the series due to its current status, but I figure it might be fun to reflect on it, for any fans. I suppose it's possible to do netplay games, but I've never attempted anything of the sort lol. But yeah, feel free to share your thoughts on the series, hopes for the future... whatever!

CE8goDx.gif

okaygeraldo

Neo Member
Awesome post OP. Would like to see this series come back somehow. I have such fond memories of kicking ass in Tetris Attack.

Arcadey versus puzzle games need to make a return. Would love to play something like this on PC with good online and an active community.

jackal27

Banned
I absolutely love these games. Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle Challenge are my favorites. The music in both of those is absolutely fantastic as well. It never ceases to surprise me how many people haven't played these games.

Some of the best puzzle games ever.

Azure J

Wow, this series is 20? :O

My first ever experience with this was getting horribly bodied at it thinking it was like Tetris/Tetris 2 when a friend brought me over to try it in grade school. Never really got the hang of things, but it was always a game I wanted to go back to.

Hearing the story of its localization changes always had me interested in the original aesthetics and the character of Lip, giving them all an identity of "jilted actors" replaced by bigger faces over the years.

Edit: This thread's timing is pretty interesting as well given the post I was making over in the Smash Ballot thread in community side regarding Lip. :lol

Eolz

Great thread OP.
Also nice to link the website, made an old post/thread about this months ago:

Just checked a bit more in-depth the Panel De Pon website and this is a goldmine:
Concept Art
Music
Some sort of Pre - "Iwata Asks" interview (click on the pictures lower)
Fan-art / letters
etc

A shame it hasn't been updated since 2006, but it's really nice they didn't delete any content, despite some dead links. Just make a bit more sad about the lack of new games in this franchise, but still a nice feeling to see all of this.

Really cool :)

Would love to see the franchise return, and as Panel de Pon rather than Puzzle League, that was pretty bland.
Panel De Pon's Director, Hitoshi Yamagami actually became the Manager of SPD 2 (the group helping other 3rd party studios for collaboration, before the new restructuration) and was one of the reasons Kamiya worked on W101 (he's a big fan).

Again, great OP with great descriptions. People should try this game, it holds up really well.

roknin

Love love love this series. Only wish there was a console, online release.

Favorite puzzle game of all time.

KNT-Zero

Best puzzle game ever! (IMO)

I managed to get my cousins to play it and I would always own them :p
They somehow got tired of it though... :/

PSqueak

Banned
Why are all of these sequels completely devoid of Lip and all the other fairies? I want my addictive fairy puzzle game, nintendo! Bring the fairies back!

We play this game (mainly Tetris Attack and Pokémon Puzzle League) competitively at MAGFest (Music and Game Festival) here in Maryland/Virginia. We have HUGE turnouts for tournaments and it's probably the most intense puzzle action game ever witnessed.

I've been playing this game since I was about 9 and I can pull off 10x chains easily. It's a lot of hard work but it's mainly muscle memory and mental reflexes to pull that stuff off. I usually come in 2nd place at tourneys. I was once in a 15+ minute match with one guy a few years ago. It was intense.

This, Meteos, Lumines, Tetris DS, Puzzle Fighter II, and Magical Drop are my favorite "VS puzzle" games.

Great thread OP.
Also nice to link the website, made an old post/thread about this months ago:

Really cool :)

Would love to see the franchise return, and as Panel de Pon rather than Puzzle League, that was pretty bland.
Panel De Pon's Director, Hitoshi Yamagami actually became the Manager of SPD 2 (the group helping other 3rd party studios for collaboration, before the new restructuration) and was one of the reasons Kamiya worked on W101 (he's a big fan).

Again, great OP with great descriptions. People should try this game, it holds up really well.

Oh yeah, that's where I first noticed all the cool stuff they had on the website, I see my comment there lol. I was just really taken aback by how comprehensive a site it was. I can't say I know what the norm is for Japanese game sites in the late 90s, but... man, putting up all those sprite sheets, original illustrations, uncompressed music (though admittedly I like the SNES versions better lol)... it makes it feel like a real labor of love they were very proud of. And that's not even going into them maintaining the site for a decade with fan content. Like, again, I dunno what to expect from Japanese developers or fan communities around that time, but that's just really striking to me. It's so cool to see a developer be so into their series and its fans. I've got to imagine that if they were given a chance, they'd go right back and make a new game starring the original cast.

Kamiya posting about Panel de Pon is actually what made me notice that today was the anniversary, lol. But I had no idea about Yamagami, the giant gap in his works between 2003 and 2008 seems odd. Nice to see that he's at least getting to work on puzzle games again with the Wii and Wii U Dr. Mario games. Maybe he'll be able to get Arika to work on a new Panel de Pon game, I think they'd be a pretty good match, lol.

I still play Tetris Attack pretty much every week with my girlfriend. It's one of the few games she actually likes. I would love for it to be remade on Wii U on something (a rerelease on Virtual Console would also be cool) so I can use modern controllers. It truly is one of the best puzzel games ever created and also one of my favorite multiplayer games.

I remember playing Terri's Attack long time ago, but bought Pokémon Puzzle League as part of the series.

3D mode made long combos a lot easier, plus I was surprised the game had animated clips. You don't see that in many N64 carts.

randomkid

The other day I was checking the current value of my SNES carts and it's amazing that in these exorbitant inflated times this game can still be got for relatively cheap. People need to grab it, the Yoshi theming (HOOKBILL KOOPA BOSS!) and the music make it the ideal version even after all these years. Aeana's got it right, it's the best game ever made.

I've spent an embarrassing amount of time on the Pokémon versions. I'm not big on puzzle games at all, but I'm always down for some Panel de Pon.

Damn, I love this series. I remember one summer I got my friend into it by letting him borrow my SNES (he had never had one before). Now, even to this day, I can barely beat him anytime we fire it up.

FSLink

Banned
It would be really cool to see more Panel De Pon love in Smash someday. Lip's Stick and Kirby's downB are the only references. Would be really awesome to get a stage, Assist Trophy, or Lip herself playable.

EDIT: Oh yeah and this awesome remix that debuted in Brawl and reused in Smash Wii U:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeuZK_5Fjm8

This is definitely my favorite puzzle game of all time. I still load up Nintendo Puzzle Collection on my Wii U (through Nintendont homebrew) from time to time. Before the homebrew stuff, playing it on my JPN GC or playing the N64 Pokemon Puzzle League was my way to go.

Also Panel de Pon (Super Famicom) got a fan translation awhile back: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1144/
E1vEsC5.png

l7viVsS.png

W3BEAQD.png

tZnUYm5.png

Kouriozan

Bougth and played every games, even the JP only ones. (Not the satellaview one, obviously)
Might be my favorite series ever, I'm still going back to Panel de Pon SNES though, it's faster and harder than the Yoshi version.

woopWOOP

I'm so bad at this game :p
Still, I'm sad that Lip never made an appearance in a Western released game yet. If they make a new Tetris Attack for the NX/mobile I kind of want those fairies to return.

Also for some random trivia: the official Nintendo webpage for Panel de Pon has an extended version of the opening/title theme they used in the game. Click one of two links below the first red square to listen, the extended bit makes it one of my favorite SNES tracks actually.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Panel De Pon was 50/50 created between Nintendo R&D1 and Intelligent Systems. Hitoshi Yamagami from Nintendo is considered the creator by many people. Nintendo R&D1 also developed the original Game Boy version without any IS involvement.

wondermega

I super loooooved this game. I discovered it several years after release and picked up a used copy of the SNES game; we'd play it all day on weekends, battle mode still has yet to be topped.

Feel free to ignore the self-promotion, I designed a mobile game which was very much a tribute to this (knicking the crazy chaining system) but sort-of crossed with Bust a Move a bit. Instead of swapping adjacent pieces, they are 2-sided and can be flipped over. The action is just as frantic and I wish we made a multiplayer mode because that would have been just insane.

How to Play
Crazy Combo video

The SFC version of Panel de Pon was released on New 3DS Virtual Console yesterday in Japan. I've never played it before - and while it's now really obvious to me that Pokémon Puzzle League shares a lot of the same code with this game (right down to the physics in the menus and artwork) this game is as good as ever.

Missing the relentless AI of the N64 game, though. But really, it's amazing how they managed to pull games like this off in the late period of the SNES. The audio's fantastic and the soundtrack's very different to what we expect from Nintendo titles today (or modern puzzlers in general), and the way the blocks warp under pressure and how the game over screen comes crashing down still feels timeless today. Modern operating systems like iOS have adopted these kind of physics in their user interface since 2013 - 18 years after this game.

I'm glad Intelligent Systems still has breathing room to experiment with this genre with the likes of Pullblox/Pushmo, let's hope they've got something entirely new in store for NX, eh?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
First booting up Tetris Attack and seeing the Yoshis sing is one gaming memory I'll never forget.

Celegus

So depressing there's not a good way to play this on a modern system. Tetris Attack was one of the best games ever to play with my siblings growing up. That and Bomberman led to many many many late nights.

The SFC version of Panel de Pon was released on New 3DS Virtual Console yesterday in Japan. I've never played it before - and while it's now really obvious to me that Pokémon Puzzle League shares a lot of the same code with this game (right down to the physics in the menus and artwork) this game is as good as ever.

Missing the relentless AI of the N64 game, though. But really, it's amazing how they managed to pull games like this off in the late period of the SNES. The audio's fantastic and the soundtrack's very different to what we expect from Nintendo titles today (or modern puzzlers in general), and the way the blocks warp under pressure and how the game over screen comes crashing down still feels timeless today. Modern operating systems like iOS have adopted these kind of physics in their user interface since 2013 - 18 years after this game.

I'm glad Intelligent Systems still has breathing room to experiment with this genre with the likes of Pullblox/Pushmo, let's hope they've got something entirely new in store for NX, eh?

I was interested in this, but it lacks multiplayer too, right? That's a shame.

Zubz

Banned
Didn't the DSi Puzzle League have multiplayer? It's technically playable on a modern system that way, even if the game lacks any distinguishable aesthetic. I love Puzzle League, and I really hope Nintendo does something with the concept again doing! I just hope we get more life in the game's visuals outside of... Chrome.

Kouriozan

Each day I pray that Panel de Pon will have a proper release outside of Japan, heck, in Europe Tomodachi Life sold very well, so weird game have chances here.
If Nintendo is so scared that little fairies don't sell, just make a crossover Yoshi and co. VS Lip and co.

I'm just so desperate to have a new game of my beloved IP.

ggx2ac

Each day I pray that Panel de Pon will have a proper release outside of Japan, heck, in Europe Tomodachi Life sold very well, so weird game have chances here.
If Nintendo is so scared that little fairies don't sell, just make a crossover Yoshi and co. VS Lip and co.

I'm just so desperate to have a new game of my beloved IP.

I'd want Panel de Pon SNES or GCN version localised too. It seems weird that the Nintendo of 20 years ago shouldn't be the same as now especially when they can't release Tetris Attack again unless they can get a licence for the Tetris brand.

Otherwise, give me something new to get over it like a Fire Emblem Puzzle League with the Live 2D models seen during matches like in Magical Drop 3, it'd be great and they wouldn't have to make sprites for saving time.
Plus a good soundtrack.

Top Bottom