• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash Hands-on Previews - "a far better game than Sticker Star"

Ridley327

I really hated how these 3D objects didn't fit into the style of Paper Mario in the 3DS version.

For the Wii U version I wonder if they actually reward doing the battles, the paint meter already sounds like an improvement in that area. In the 3DS game I just tried to walk past enemies as the battles were so boring. The main issue of the 3DS game wasn't that it was bad, it was just boring.

They do. In addition to experience to level up your paint meters, it's also the only way to get enemy stickers for combat.

Toxi

Banned
They do. In addition to experience to level up your paint meters, it's also the only way to get enemy stickers for combat.
Enemy stickers look completely useless though in the footage I've seen.

"It ran away!"
Great writing as always, it's light on memes but there are one or two occasions where they couldn't resist.
I don't really mind memes of this kind because they still fit the context and are funny if you aren't familiar with the meme.

It's not like Toad's mentioning Harambe.

-shadow-

Considering how terrible Sticker Star was that's not much of an achievement. But I do have to admit that the game looks absolutely amazing visually and from what I've seen far improved everything Sticker Star has done. It's just that the 3D object and the battle mechanics still look absolutely terrible.

Edit:

I had such high hopes for this game back when it was still a rumor and all we knew is the Koopalings were involved. I had hoped you'd be able to recruit them as party members -- former enemies, working together -- and as you adventured together, you'd get to know them better. Maybe the game would start with Iggy begging Mario to help rescue Bowser from some greater threat, and Mario reluctantly agrees, gathering up the other Koopalings as he goes.

Ah well.

Why do I want this so badly?

Instro

Can muster much excitement for this when it isn't doing much in several areas I care about. Looks better than SS though.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Considering I had fun with Sticker Star (yes... FUN!), this should be very enjoyable. Still a bit disappointed it's not a sequel to TTYD, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Yukinari

The easiest hurdle to cross ever. Far better than Sticker Star can be miles and miles away from being a genuinely good game.

There was another interview with producer Risa Tabata done last week that I haven't seen here before. Some of my favorite quotes:

Risa Tabata might as well be like, "you want TYD again?"

tumblr_inline_oc6itw5pD91tqxm6i_500.gif

Lunar15

I don't think Sticker Star was a bad game, but it's more that they ripped all of the charm and appeal out of the paper mario series and made something comparatively generic.

Telling me the gameplay is better, while good to hear, doesn't really do anything to stem my disappointment.

Dont worry Paper Mario fans we heard your main concerns and made the puzzles better.

Because you know thats why you played Paper Mario, for the paper gimmick and puzzles.
Because the soso overarching story, babbys first JRPG character progression and piles upon piles of slightly different NPCs were the real draw.

Face it, PM 1&2 were great because of their witty moment to moment writing, great leveldesign and gameplay, which all seem to be carrying over well to Colour Splash.

Toxi

Banned
I don't think that really counts as a meme. I feel like I've been hearing lines like that since the Saturday morning cartoons of my youth.
edit: Turns out I'm mistaken.

You are right though that similar lines have been around for a long time, like Die Hard's "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."

Ninjimbo

I don't think Sticker Star was a bad game, but it's more that they ripped all of the charm and appeal out of the paper mario series and made something comparatively generic.

Telling me the gameplay is better, while good to hear, doesn't really do anything to stem my disappointment.
Calling it generic is a bit much seeing as how nothing out on the market plays like Sticker Star.

Yukinari

Because the soso overarching story, babbys first JRPG character progression and piles upon piles of slightly different NPCs were the real draw.

Face it, PM 1&2 were great because of their witty moment to moment writing, great leveldesign and gameplay, which all seem to be carrying over well to Colour Splash.

Color Splash has the funny dialogue but nothing else you mentioned in this post.

Final boss is bowser again by the way because thats very original and creative. Fuck the Shadow Queen or Dimentio, we got Bowser.

Javier

It actually originates from Company of Heroes from 2006, it's just a perfect line that works well in a common fictional context. I didn't even realize it was a meme until recently.
Actually, the gag is originally from the Asterix series of comics, and it goes all the way back to the 1960s. It was usually said by the Roman Legionaries ("Join the army, they said. You'll see the world, they said"), but it soon became a running gag and had lots of variants throughout the series.

Im caucious with this one honestly, Paper Mario 64 is one of my favorite games ever made but Sticker Star made me into the untrusty cynic i am today.I'll pick this one up eventually.

Toxi

Banned
Actually, the gag is originally from the Asterix series of comics, and it goes all the way back to the 1960s. It was usually said by the Roman Legionaries ("Join the army, they said. You'll see the world, they said"), but it soon became a running gag and had lots of variants throughout the series.
Thanks for the correction.

On a side note, I really need to read Asterix.

tebunker

Banned
It actually originates from Company of Heroes from 2006, it's just a perfect line that fits naturally in a number of contexts. I didn't even realize it was a meme until recently.

You are right though that similar lines have been around for a long time, like Die Hard's "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."
Dude its from well before a video game. Things like that were in Warner Brothers cartoons from the 40s and 50s.

Its a joke about joing the American or French Legion.

A quick google search shows in may have originated in an Asterix comic in France.

In other words its a very old joke/trope.

Lynx_7

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| a far better game than shit

I'm cautiously hopeful it'll be a good game on its own therms but that statement doens't say much. We'll see. If anything, the game does look gorgeous so there's that.

The Boat

I'm having a fantastic time. Nothing but Toads is a shame and the merits of the card system are arguable, but it's a super fun and funny adventure. Absolutely gorgeous and the soundtrack is incredible. Review embargo is still some time off, so my final verdict will wait.

The writing seems actually strong in Color Splash.

Sticker Star also had a fun writing. But in both cases, it's weaker than the previous games, because it's basically featuring Toads and Toads... generic ones at that. Sure, some have costumes. That's all.

Toxi

Banned
I think it just boils down to sarcasm and black humor.
For all that I've complained about Color Splash, I do enjoy that it seems to be getting back to the gallows humor of the pre-Sticker Star games.

I'm not as fond of the absurdist humor for stuff like the thing cards though. I like that style when done well, but stuff like the dancing pig just feels forced.

Yukinari

And props to her for that. No lookin' back.

I think it just boils down to sarcasm and black humor.

I guess im just old man yells at cloud at this point. I just need to stop posting in threads about modern Nintendo games.

I already spent all my hatred on threads about Mario Party 10, cant keep doing it.

They'll never do a PM64 or TTYD like game again because they obviously don't want that. They chose to do Super Paper Mario next and self-proclaimed fans need to accept the developers' choices.
Without having played Sticker Star I can believe it had grave issues that will apparently be ironed out in Color Splash and I'll happily play that.
People calling the battle system bad are just baffling to me. I've played and finished TTYD last month for the first time and the battle system and the light RPG stuff is just the weakest aspect of the game imo.
I can totally get behind the developers' decision to not burden their great humorous games with protracting battles.

jnWake

Final boss is bowser again by the way because thats very original and creative. Fuck the Shadow Queen or Dimentio, we got Bowser.
Bowser's the final boss in the first one and it's still a very good game. I like new villains too but Bowser being the main one doesn't mean much really.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sticker Star also had a fun writing. But in both cases, it's weaker than the previous games, because it's basically featuring Toads and Toads... generic ones at that. Sure, some have costumes. That's all.

Writing does not magically become weaker just because the characters look the same. The overall presentation or humour may suffer though. I still think this problem is way blown out of proportion.

Kid Ying

I guess the people that are playing and liking the game shouldn't be allowed to because people that didn't play the game don't like it.

I'm anxious for this.

Yukinari

Bowser's the final boss in the first one and it's still a very good game. I like new villains too but Bowser being the main one doesn't mean much really.

Im just so spent with Bowser and the Koopalings these days that i would take literally anybody else. The koopalings in this game dont even seen to interact with each other or be as funny as they were in Paper Jam. In fact their battles in Paper Jam were insanely unique and intense.

Still doesn't change the fact that the old RPG mechanics were better, and the story and characters were actually interesting. Oh look, more generic Toads.

Vena

Oh no someone said something nice about the game. Quick pour poison all over it!

Anyway, looking forward to this.

The Boat

Writing does not magically become weaker just because the characters look the same. The overall presentation or humour may suffer though. I still think this problem is way blown out of proportion.
Precisely. I would like different characters, but that has no impact on the writing.
As usual, people won't give this a chance because it's not TTYD.

Great observation.
We are dealing with fans whose feelings got hurt. They are just quoting any point that's different to TTYD as proof that it is one step further for them not caring anymore for the series.
Which is obviously not the case, duh.
I'll predict that in case this game gets something like a 80 on meta- or open critic, they'll just claim that it's just Stockholm syndrom from Sticker Star or something. Or even better that 80 is just a garbage score for a series as beloved and sacred as Paper Mario.

oti

Banned
So far I love this game and I don't mind the lack of new characters. The Toads and the buddy character are hilarious.

Kinsei

Banned

It kinda does. There's no way we're going to get any Peach segments so Bowser being the main baddie means we won't be seeing much of the series' funniest character.

Top Bottom