• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

maxcriden

colorsplashotbanner8gu4t.jpg

info4jskh.png

Special Thanks: TheMoon for the awesome images, collaboration and design work as always!
Developed by: Intelligent Systems
Published by: Nintendo
Release Dates: October 7, 2016 (NA/EU) / October 8 (AU) / October 13 (JP)
Genre: Sunshine-ly Epic Adventure Game with Lite RPG aspects
Price: $59.99/€49,99/£39.99/AU$79.95/¥6,156
Official Site: PaperMario.com
Supported Controllers: Wii U GamePad
Off-TV Play: Yep!
amiibo Support: amiinope
Miiverse Integration: No
eShop download size: 9614.39 MB
Game Credits: Here
Manual Web: Here

info_icon_dl.png

EU web eShop link: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-...h-1090845.html
JP web eShop link: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/20010000024167
NA web eShop: http://papermario.nintendo.com/buy/

gameplayiws2f.png

A colorful mystery is afoot on Prism Island

A mystery is afoot on Prism Island - and only Paper Mario can solve it by restoring the island's vanishing colors with his new Paint Hammer and the powerful Battle Cards up his sleeve. These fresh layers of strategy, along with the hilarious action adventure gameplay the series is known for, make this one of the most colorful Paper Mario action-adventure games ever.

A hilarious action-adventure game set on mysterious Prism Island.
-The Paint Hammer lets Mario restore the drained color of Prism Island
-Color in colorless spots to solve puzzles and search for clues.
-Revive Toads who have been drained of their color.
-New Battle Card system
-Cleverly use Battle Cards during puzzling battles to defeat enemies.
-Summon objects with Things cards.
-Use Enemy cards to summon allies.
-The new cutout feature allows you to extract areas from environments to overcome obstacles whenever possible.

story57s2s.png

char-slurpqcscq.png

screenshotstvsnm.png

tv1xfbsje.png

controller1x40s6t.png

cardsi5svg.png

videosldsl9.png

reviews59scn.png

Review Thread

OpenCritic: 80

Metacritic: 79

Nintendo Life said:
Paper Mario: Color Splash isn't just painting by the numbers. The series still straddles that awkward middle ground between pure RPG and adventure title, but this most recent entry has successfully found a comfortable niche that has silenced many of our prior gripes. Almost everything has been polished to a papery sheen - showcasing some of the series' best writing and presentation to date. Both the battle system and the overall plot are still some of the weaker aspects of the experience unfortunately, though they're moving slowly in the right direction.Simply put, even when we were left unsatisfied by enemy encounters, Prism Island was always a joy to explore, with diverse environments and an endless amount of catchy tunes to keep you engaged from start to finish. It's a game of memorable moments that we would love to share but wouldn't dream of spoiling on you. Take Color Splash for what it is, and you might just find it to be a messy work of art.

Nintendo Life: 8/10

IGN said:
Paper Mario: Color Splash is a step in the right direction for the series after the 3DS’s Paper Mario: Sticker Star, continuing its shift from RPG to action-adventure game while also introducing some smart changes to its battle system. The beautiful Wii U graphics and playful humor stay true to the spirit of the Paper Mario franchise, but the story is straightforward and a bit bland. Inventive level design in the second act offers some much needed diversity to some of Color Splash's otherwise linear gameplay before the disappointing third act regresses into simple and uninteresting battles. Though Color Splash still isn't back to the high points of the first three games in the Paper Mario series, it's a strong step in the right direction.

IGN: 7.3/10

Kotaku said:
Color Splash is so damned imaginative and beautiful, though, so colorful and confidently funny. Even when it annoyed me, it was only fleetingly. It makes the abstract world of Mario so personable. Its gentle, playful weirdness and irreverence contrast so positively with the prevailing seriousness of fall’s big games

Kotaku: Unscored

funggs8m.png

img_Staff_bottomL.png

maxcriden

Will put the finishing touches on this tomorrow.

Some of my pre-release thoughts from that thread, we've played a bit more since and are enjoying it all the more every time we play it:

BTW, I know there were some concerns (and some concern trolling XD) earlier that you wouldn't know how much damage your attacks do because no damage numbers are given. As a moderate alleviation of that concern, I think it's worth noting that when you attack enemies they lose color from the bottom up, depending on how damaged they are, and when they're nearly defeated they're almost devoid of color and the top of their body curls forward.

While this doesn't give an amazing idea of how much damage each hit does, it does show you how close the enemy is to defeat, which is at least as useful and IIRC not present at least from the get-go in any Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi game (I think badges might give similar functionality).

FWIW, though, since non-boss enemies almost never give the player a very hard time in the Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi games, seeing how close an enemy is to defeat is at least as useful as seeing how much damage you've done to them. It's also pretty evident which attacks are stronger or weaker than others based on the aesthetics of the card.

In the prior Mario RPGs (excepting SMRPG, which I can't speak to since I haven't played it), you know which gear and moves are more potent due to numbers given, but apart from "this thing is stronger than (or provides more defense than, raises speed compared to, etc.) that thing," it's not as though serious number crunching was generally necessary.

So in this game there is no permanent gear to equip that I've come across, but, purely on a combat side though there is definitively less depth, it's not as lacking as it may have appeared. I personally enjoy it and the enemies' moves and banter is clever, it's interesting to be able to summon enemies from cards, the timing is limited to one button but is often trickier than in at least the Paper Mario games for some of the basic attacks, and I believe it was indicated the Thing attacks have their own timed attack benefits but I'm not sure yet how to find out what they are.

The bottom line, the combat is definitely not as deep as in the other turn-based Mario RPGs, except for Sticker Star, which it is similar to. But, for the most part enemies seem less densely populated in the areas of the game we've encountered so far, so battles if I'm remembering Sticker Star correctly aren't quite as frequent as they were in that game.

The enemy moves and banter, the ability to use enemies as summons (which IIRFC wasn't in Sticker Star), and the benefit of accumulating paint HP essentially, makes battles have a bit more depth to them than in Sticker Star. But if you disliked Sticker Star, take my musings with a grain of salt because I liked Sticker Star a lot.

BTW, I know there's been a bit of debate over whether there is any purpose to increasing your paint meter. It's really going to depend on how you play the game, I think. If you get into most battles you encounter and are trying to paint all the areas, while paint in the areas is (cumulatively) somewhat plentiful, it helps immensely to increase your paint meter. We frequently are running out of one kind of paint or another (often one sort of paint is not as plentiful in an area that features a color scheme primarily based on the other colors) and will have some battle cards half-painted. In one area we ran out of yellow paint and weren't able to paint some of the spots we saw until we came back. One type of enemy takes a surprising chunk of your paint reserves of one color away and many of the environmental suppliers of paint (trees, flowers) only give you small bits of paint at a time. If you're exploring every nook and cranny and painting, it's significantly beneficial to be increasing the paint meter.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Saw the commercial for this. The graphics were breath taking considering the art style.

AdanVC

Great OT, Max! :D

Wii U's last big exclusive, can you believe it?? And such a nice one! Can't wait to get my copy and be amazed at the graphics and music. Will take lot's of screenshots to share it on the screenshot thread as well since it desperately needs some Nintendo shots there :D

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Will pick this up eventually, but not sure when. Still busy with Dragon Quest.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got my copy from Best Buy arriving tomorrow. Man, PLEASE be better than Sticker Star. I don't dislike the game as most people, but I still understand the issues people had with it (I absolutely dislike the design of the boss battles) & from the sounds of it, Nintendo fixed some of them.

Dmax3901

There's so many games to play from now through the end of 2016, but I think I might try and play this before I pack my Wii U away forever.

bibs

Can't purchase it this weekend due to having so much uni work but ill be getting it at the beginning of next week. Having not played a paper mario since the n64 one, super keen to see the direction it has gone. Will also be the final game i purchase for the Wii U before getting a Xbox One at the end of the year, so hopefully will be really good.

PtM

Banned
I would like to know differences between the NA and EU writing. American's supposed to be funny, no surprises there.

I have to admit, the reviews and impressions so far have made this go from an easy-skip to something I'm willing to check out. I really liked the first three games and some other things I was looking forward to (Gravity Rush, KH 2.8) got pushed back, so hey, why not. Very nice OT.

I really wish they did anything but include hamfisted turn based combat into the game. It looks like an utter delight to explore and exist in that just happens to have shit gameplay :(

kunonabi

Might have to unhook my Japanese Wii U for this when it shows up tomorrow. I have a feeling it's going to look amazing in person. Star Fox Zero is my game of the year so far so it will be interesting to see if Color Splash can knock it off.

TheMoon

Please don't change anything about the story section, it's perfect. All you need to know. :D

I would like to know differences between the NA and EU writing. American's supposed to be funny, no surprises there.

I bet you it's the exact same. Probably too big to have two separate EN translations running plus the humor is a key selling point. Splatoon/TFH were way lighter on text-content that this wasn't a big deal.

Awesome OT, story section is incredible.

I want to day one this but I have loads happening this weekend and probably won't be able to fit much in. Got three days off too, would've been perfect.

Let's see how my willpower holds up throughout work today.

Probably going to borrow it from the library as soon as they get it in. It hasn't sold me enough to buy it, especially for $74.99 plus tax.

It looks like it could end up being really fun, though. I generally enjoy this type of game, too. Just not enough to go through again or need to own it.

ramparter

Banned
That's why going digital is never worth it, I got mine for £34.95.

I know I'm just expressing my disappointment. Actually I wish I could have it boxed and installed on my console without the need of disc, maybe on day there is a legit way for that.

I'll be back in a month , still got a feeling this will get discounted on Black Friday
But the reviews and impressions got me back on the hype train :D

-shadow-

I legitimately can't believe that NOE was to lazy to add one letter on the cover and title screen. Guys it's colour, not the lazy American color here! :(

Just take a look at the title. That right there should say enough.

maxcriden

Updated OP with more info and images. Thanks again to TheMoon!!

Very psyched to hear all of your impressions on the game. You guys will probably beat it before we do!

Great OT! I've no idea when my copy will turn up as i just got my dispatch email from Base.com. Could be tonight or next week but i have my fingers crossed for this weekend.
I was hoping they would spell colour correctly in the EU version but judging by the cover that's not the case :(

Played for about 20 minutes last night. The graphics are gorgeous and the quips are non-stop. The apparent story set-up, someone stole all the colors from this island, seems more like the plot to a platformer than an adventure/mild RPG, but we'll see where it goes.

Used a long-unused voucher for the local electronics market today to get this (and Fast Racing Neo retail version) this morning. Looking forward to try it out on the weekend, I am in the mood for something more relaxing and quirky right now. I was sold on the game some time ago already when I saw some more gameplay and read in interviews that they've addressed the problems with the card battle system - and seeing feedback in reviews and player opinions, they did a good job. Latest trailer was great, too. Anyway, enjoy the game!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
"What in the Lost Levels is going on here?!"

Litri

The game has a fairly good price in amazon all over Europe and has got good reviews so I think I will bite tonight (as I have already said a few times).

Top Bottom