• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

Joqu

Xenoblade X's manual is also super elaborate. Probably not in a fancy design way like this, though.

Thanks, I never checked X's manual out so I guess I should.

So I guess it's not that many games yet. Still, I absolutely love how Nintendo's rethinking manuals with these games, I'll gladly let go of printed ones if the digital ones are at this level of quality.

Okay, so I am watching a lets play of this game and I have to say: this game is full of heart, charme and creativity a complete opposite to the last Mario RPG game, Paper Jam which was generic and boring as hell imo.

A real shame that the battle system and the main story are not appealing to me at all. Hope this game won't sell sooooo bad.

So no spoilers here, I haven't gotten far yet anyway, but I've been told by people who got it early the ending's really good. Take that for what you will, but it's making me think there's more to the main story than meets the eye. Or maybe there isn't, I dunno!

maxcriden

Xenoblade X's manual is also super elaborate. Probably not in a fancy design way like this, though.

This one also is said to have developer commentary, but I haven't checked it out yet. That's a neat addition I'd like to see more of. It also has a spoilery section or two I'm avoiding for now.

Malus

I'm really going to be pleasantly surprised (or rather shocked) if this is as good or better than Super Paper Mario some have suggested. That game was a stone cold classic to me. It'd be a great way to send off the Wii U.

So no spoilers here, I haven't gotten far yet anyway, but I've been told by people who got it early the ending's really good. Take that for what you will, but it's making me think there's more to the main story than meets the eye. Or maybe there isn't, I dunno!

Interesting. I'm still playing through Tokyo Mirage Sessions and very interested in finding out what the hullabaloo about that game's ending was about.

I feel like TMS and Color Splash are sort of contrasts to each other from what I've played/heard. TMS has great presentation and gameplay, but the writing is lacking imo, whereas CS has great presentation and writing, but the gameplay is receiving meh responses.

Zalman

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to these games. I really enjoyed Super Paper Mario. I never played Sticker Star though, but I'll check out this game so I can get a taste of the new style of Paper Mario.

cyba89

Didn't like Sticker Star at all and bought this just based on the positive impressions and reviews, while being pretty anti-hyped about the game beforehand.
And so far it's ... actually good.

Did the first two stars and humor is on point so far (bonus point for the great german localization).
The biggest design flaw of Sticker Star, the unrewarding battles, is now (kinda) fixed and I'm actually motivated to do the battles instead of avoiding them.
Card system and controls in battles are still annoying, but I read there is a button control scheme so I will try that next.

It's not as good as N64&GC Paper Mario or Super Paper Mario but still fun (and also probably the last retail game I will buy for my WiiU).

Joqu

Well, the subtitle for the second OT wasn't about reading the god damn manual for nothing. :D

Haha, fair enough! I dunno about making it the title but the same should definitely go for this game then. Check that in-game manual out, people. It's so good!

And yeah, already said it but button control is an option, you aren't limited to the touch screen during combat. There's so going to be people who never realize this

Probably should've been the default mode tbh, it's not like they disable touch control during it

3 levels in and by now I liked the battle system of Sticker Star more. It sure was far from perfect, but compared to Color Splash you just needed one second to choose your attack and execute it, and now it is unnecessarily wacky. In addition, in Sticker Star combat had the incentive of winning the battles in one turn in order to get the flag achievement, something that is missing here.

On the other hand, as I expected landscapes are much better here than in SS, and like in that one, level design is very good compared to the flat, empty and boring routes of PM64 and TTYD. Sadly, I'd like it to have more variety about the characters, cause I'm really really REALLY sick of generic Toads. I can't understand the path they have taken concerning that.

Malus

The FNintendo review mentions that this game has over 50 hours of play value. Some posts I read on gaf have said they got through it around 20. I wonder how they came to such a difference in game time, usually reviewers don't play as much as everyone else for the sake of deadlines and whatnot.

TheMoon

Haha, fair enough! I dunno about making it the title but the same should definitely go for this game then. Check that in-game manual out, people. It's so good!

And yeah, already said it but button control is an option, you aren't limited to the touch screen during combat. There's so going to be people who never realize this

Probably should've been the default mode tbh, it's not like they disable touch control during it

With XCX it was more about missing a whole bunch of gameplay systems and explanations for stuff that the game doesn't tell you otherwise.^^ It really was mandatory reading.

With this it's more "hey this is really cool!"

André from GameXplain also tweeted this out. Don't sleep on the options menu, people! :D
@AndreSegers Oct 5
ProTip: Switch your battle controls in Color Splash to Touchscreen Advanced. You'll thank me later

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So from the sounds of it, I should give the advanced touch control scheme a try, & if that's not clicking, give the button controls a try.

Developed by: Intelligent Systems
Published by: Nintendo
Release Dates: October 7, 2016 (NA/EU) / October 8 (AU) / October 13 (JP)
Genre: Sunshine-ly Epic Adventure Game with Lite RPG aspects
Price: $59.99/€49,99/£39.99/AU$79.95/¥6,156
Official Site: PaperMario.com
Supported Controllers: Wii U GamePad
Off-TV Play: No
amiibo Support: No
Miiverse Integration: No
eShop download size: 9614.39 MB
Game Credits: Here
Manual Web: Here

OP the game actually does have the option for off-TV in the ingame options.

MicH

I can't figure out what to do next. Just got the mini star in Blue District in the town. Unlocked Indigo Underground and Crimson Tower, but I seem to run into roadblocks in both levels. Anyone know what to do?

TheMoon

OP the game actually does have the option for off-TV in the ingame options.

I sent him the table like that, my fault. The NOE site didn't mention it (they usually do list features). I already sent max the correction earlier but he's probably busy splashing color.

Oh shit I assumed this game wasn't coming out till Sunday. I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Nintendo hasn't released a video game on Sunday in years. Friday Friday Friday. Always.

CrisKre

I played for 5 hrs. yesterday and I have to say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this game.

It is a mix of some of the concept introduced in Sticker Star with the clever writing and more inspired scenarios of previous Paper Mario titles LOTS of lol moments so far), all wrapped up in an incredibly polished wrapper that just elevates the series and is just a joy to expore. I cannot stress enough how incredible the art direction in this game is. It makes me trully want to see each new area and even classic set ups are rendered fresh by the paper theme. I find it even more realized than Wolly World, and that´s saying something.

The battles have more depth and thought that I was lead to believe. Choosing your cards has a lot of strategy attached to it, and the battle system expands as you play. Really enjoying this aspect of the game actually. The paint level increase gives an incentive to fight as well, so its an elegant solution to SS´s biggest issue.

I also really like how paint is incorporated to level completion. It gives incentive to explore everything without being irritating or overwhelming so far.

Can´t wait to dive further into the title later today.

Intru

I want this game, but I can't imagine finding the time to play it between Forza, Gears, WoW, and Dragon Quest Builders...

I sent him the table like that, my fault. The NOE site didn't mention it (they usually do list features). I already sent max the correction earlier but he's probably busy splashing color.

Nintendo hasn't released a video game on Sunday in years. Friday Friday Friday. Always.

Sunday has been Nintendo's AAA title launch day as long as I can remember. I guess I just don't buy Nintendo games anymore to have noticed the switch :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The idea of having your 100% stages randomly drained of more color by shyguys sounds frustrating enough to make me not try and 100% anymore.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sunday has been Nintendo's AAA title launch day as long as I can remember. I guess I just don't buy Nintendo games anymore to have noticed the switch :(
To be fair, I remember Super Smash Bros. Brawl being released on a Sunday. But yeah, I think starting with the 3DS, they started going for Friday releases.

The idea of having your 100% stages randomly drained of more color by shyguys sounds frustrating enough to make me not try and 100% anymore.
That's one thing that I kept hearing that made me go wtf, because that sounds super frustrating to 100% a level only for the game to randomly decide "naaaah, let's take away that 100%, better be quick or else you'll be back at 0%!!"

Sami+

I haven't played a Paper Mario before, but this one looked interesting. I saw a few screenshots of NPC conversations that I liked a lot (notably
the Shy Guy on the train - "sometimes I look out this window at the evening sky... wishing I could go to a faraway place"
). I like that kinda stuff but I'd more than just good NPCs lol. Is the story/plot really good?

TheMoon

I haven't played a Paper Mario before, but this one looked interesting. I saw a few screenshots of NPC conversations that I liked a lot (notably
the Shy Guy on the train - "sometimes I look out this window at the evening sky... wishing I could go to a faraway place"
). I like that kinda stuff but I'd more than just good NPCs lol. Is the story/plot really good?

You're looking at the wrong Paper Mario game.

Look at the story section in the OP. What you see there is the extent of it.

Did they leave in the part about "5 Fun Guys" or did they take it out?

Why would they take it out? That was internet nonsense about a thing that wasn't there.

TheMoon

The young woman who made the accusations sure didn't think so. And it caused Nintendo to make an official statement about it.

Anyways, I'm glad they kept it in.

It was because someone stitched two unrelated screenshots together to connect one part to the other. Would be dumb to take it out since it was a clear reference to their own stupid thing from years back.

Damn, I had totally forgotten about the whole five fungis thing. That was a whole lot of embarrassing nothing.

I'm hoping to pick this up on my way home. Been watching some streams and it looks fun as hell. And I say that as someone who ended up hating Sticker Star.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I played the game and my god it is so full of charm and made me laugh a few times.

Battles however a bit mixed with me as I kinda like do them to level up my paint hammer but at the same time I am torn about burning up my cards.

Also it's so much fun hammering everyone. >:D

The young woman who made the accusations sure didn't think so. And it caused Nintendo to make an official statement about it.

She was making a mountain out of a molehill as she didn't bother doing her research at all as Nintendo used the Fungi joke before and the gate suffix is a common term.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Are you kidding me. I'm trying to get my copy to play, but it keeps saying that the disc can't be read & could be dirty, despite cleaning it twice.

I've never had this happen with a Wii U disc, did I get a bad copy? The error code is 150-1031.

MicH

Someone please tell me where the hell the Toad vest is in Cherry Lake. I'm going insane :(

EDIT just found it. Gah these were annoying to find

maxcriden

MicH, just FYI the post above kindly provides the directions and mine has a general hint. Up to you! :)

Someone please tell me where the hell the Toad vest is in Cherry Lake. I'm going insane :(

I went insane also. Check the
aqueous area.

So I played the game and my god it is so full of charm and made me laugh a few times.

Battles however a bit mixed with me as I kinda like do them to level up my paint hammer but at the same time I am torn about burning up my cards.

Also it's so much fun hammering everyone. >:D

She was making a mountain out of a molehill as she didn't bother doing her research at all as Nintendo used the Fungi joke before and the gate suffix is a common term.
Don't worry about burning your cards, once you are a few courses in you will have so much gold you can buy as many cards as you need.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So after about an half hour of cleaning & retrying, I think I can confirm I have a bad copy of the game that just does NOT want to be read by the system, & I can't just go into town & ask for a new copy, this was sent to me by Best Buy.

Now what? Contact Nintendo for them to send me a new copy that could take a few days?

Edit: What a waste of my time, Best Buy took 20 minutes to tell me "sorry, gotta return it at the store" & Nintendo said it'd take a week to "repair" my copy, ugh. I guess I'll just deal with the drive, but god, what should've been an easy swap just became a huge hassle......

Need a bit of help progressing,
where do you go after Boo Beach? The big gate needs to be colored, but obviously I'm not able to do that just yet.

ghibli99

Picking this up tonight. So many mixed impressions... best thing to do is just go in and judge it for myself.

With this likely being the final retail Wii U game I buy, it's a bittersweet moment. Bitter due to how short its lifecycle was and how poorly it was supported, but still quite sweet for the number of "best of generation" moments it provided me.

Joqu

I've filled in 99% of the colorless spots at Daffodil Peak and now that last percent is driving me crazy.

I was gonna ask about this stuff. It's pretty annoying

Just to make sure, they don't ever give you some tool to track down unpainted spots later on, do they?

Top Bottom