• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

Picking this up tonight. So many mixed impressions... best thing to do is just go in and judge it for myself.

With this likely being the final retail Wii U game I buy, it's a bittersweet moment. Bitter due to how short its lifecycle was and how poorly it was supported, but still quite sweet for the number of "best of generation" moments it provided me.

I want to be able to steal this post word for word when my copy hopefully arrives tomorrow.

I bought a physical copy of the game today. Went to gamestop and they only had their already opened display copy and tried to sell it to me as new and I said thanks but no thanks, and went next door to walmart and bought a real new copy of Color Splash. Fuck Gamestop

Only 3 courses in and it's refreshing and charming as hell.

Battle system does feel pointless though, although the 'things' are fun.

Is anybody liking this who despised Super Paper Mario? I've seen a few positive impressions so far, but some of those same people are saying they liked Super Paper Mario. I absolutely hated that game, so I can't "trust" an endorsement from anyone who liked it.

I'm not saying anyone's opinion is wrong of course, but I'd feel better taking a recommendation of Color Splash from somebody else who also disliked SPM, as that would mean our own tastes align more.

Is anybody liking this who despised Super Paper Mario? I've seen a few positive impressions so far, but some of those same people are saying they liked Super Paper Mario. I absolutely hated that game, so I can't "trust" an endorsement from anyone who liked it.

I'm not saying anyone's opinion is wrong of course, but I'd feel better taking a recommendation of Color Splash from somebody else who also disliked SPM, as that would mean our own tastes align more.

Only played an hour or so of SPM years back and loathed it. I loved TTYD, and I'm loving this so far, albeit for completely different reasons.

Only played an hour or so of SPM years back and loathed it. I loved TTYD, and I'm loving this so far, albeit for completely different reasons.

Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a go. I'm still disappointed it's not an RPG, but if it's still a good game regardless, I can look past that. Just as I still enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts despite not being a platformer.

I'm stuck in the Indigo Inderground. There's a wall blocking my way and I can't get around it. I've hit it, painted it and even tried the cutting. I feel dumb I've probably overlooked something.

MicH

Please remind me. What was it?
Creepy Straw Shy Guy racing towards you in a spider walk

The music makes it. Pretty fantastic

I'm stuck in the Indigo Inderground. There's a wall blocking my way and I can't get around it. I've hit it, painted it and even tried the cutting. I feel dumb I've probably overlooked something.
There's a hole in the pillar that's moving up and down near the dead end that you can enter

Kouriozan

This game is amazing so far, but I'll be weird and say that the battle gameplay was better in Sticker Star, might be the lack of visible ennemies' HP or something.

El Odio

Banned
Only part way through Ruddy Road and I'm absolutely loving this game so far. The music and art are just too damn good and the writing is pretty hilarious, me and my girlfriend have laughed at about every other line so far. I realize this is only the second area but it seems like it'll be a solid entry into the series.

I loved that bit with the toads all trapped in the house,
"Yeah, we were all cramped, it got kind of awkward. I'm probably gonna move to another town now."

CrisKre

Yes. Hated SPM. This game is GREAT.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is this a Treehouse localization? Every couple of minutes this game makes me want to Miiverse a screenshot it's so well written. This is almost why I feel like they wouldn't have trouble turning this series into more of an adventure puzzle game with great dialogue, and just ditch this rpg turn battle business.

udivision

Is this a Treehouse localization? Every couple of minutes this game makes me want to Miiverse a screenshot it's so well written. This is almost why I feel like they wouldn't have trouble turning this series into more of an adventure puzzle game with great dialogue, and just ditch this rpg turn battle business.

Yes, this is Treehouse. I wouldn't trust Paper Mario with anyone else, they're so good.

This the second Action Adventure game in the series, it seems like the turn-based system may be a part of their vision for it.

TLZ

Banned
This game is amazing so far, but I'll be weird and say that the battle gameplay was better in Sticker Star, might be the lack of visible ennemies' HP or something.

Well you do see their colours fading which is a different/smart approach to the health bar. I quite like it.

I guess I'll post for a new page, what do you do after Boo Beach? Can't get through the big gate and I've been back to old areas but can't seem to find a way to progress

jepense

I'm at the first proper dungeon (
Crimson tower
), and I like the game a lot. The thing I like most about paper Mario are the humor and fun scenarios, and those are in place. The battle system is ok, although I'd like the action commands to be more varied and the rewards more substantial.

I've played quite slowly so far, trying to fetch both paint stars if I see there are two at the end of a level. But it seems the second one almost always just opens up an alternative path on the map. Is there any reason to grab the multiple stars early? I have realized by now that many levels require you to revisit them for story reasons. Am I meant to grab the extra stars then?

I also ran into a situation which was unfair:
Kamek flipped all my cards when I was fighting a spiked helmet guy, and not knowing my cards, I ended up dying from jumping on him multiple times. It a nice twist that your cards get altered, but why would you remove my ability to make any decisions?

jepense

I guess I'll post for a new page, what do you do after Boo Beach? Can't get through the big gate and I've been back to old areas but can't seem to find a way to progress

I can't remember exactly the order, but I think you need to get the second star in Cherry lake (use cutout). In any case, you need to restore things in Port Prism, get access to a couple of more levels, and find three special toads to open up a door later on. You also need to find the 3 purple squad members. It really is not clear at all, and I spent some time running around at that point too.

I can't remember exactly the order, but I think you need to get the second star in Cherry lake (use cutout). In any case, you need to restore things in Port Prism, get access to a couple of more levels, and find three special toads to open up a door later on. You also need to find the 3 purple squad members. It really is not clear at all, and I spent some time running around at that point too.
Hm, I tried cutout but it didn't seem to work, will try again and do some of the other stuff you suggested. Thanks for the help!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Are you kidding me.

So, just for the complete & utter hell of it, I decided to give my copy ONE more cleaning & tested a few other Wii U discs of mine (also booted into to get rid of some notifications on the download management screen), &.......IT WORKS NOW. I don't know why, but it just decided for the hell of it, it wanted to work now!

....granted, I gotta leave for work in an hour, but hot damn, I don't have to worry about returns & such!

Edit: NOPE: didn't even finish the first in-game cutscene before it gave me the error, uuuggghhhhh

I swore off this game a while ago, but after reading a lot of the impressions, it's on my radar again. Didn't like SS at all, though, so I'm still a little leery.

Question: How are the environments/atmosphere in this game? Are they unique and interesting? And I'm not really talking about level design here, but just the themes and tones of the areas. One of the best things about TTYD, on par with the amazing characters, was how unique some of the settings were, so if CS can make up for a lack of unique NPC's in that regard, I'll probably bite. Especially after being so burned with Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam's NSMB-fication.

Aeana

I'm 3 areas in and overall I'm feeling the same way about it that I did about Sticker Star. I dread going into battle because I'm just going to have to use some of my limited card stock and the only thing I'm gonna get for winning is some paint, maybe a card that may or may not replace what I used in battle, and some hammer scraps. Winning a regular battle feels barely above zero sum and the process of selecting a card and getting it into play is starting to feel tedious. Oh well. I'm not surprised, this is exactly what I thought I'd feel like.

The writing is cute, though, as always with Paper Mario. Just not sure how much further I can go.

I'm 3 areas in and overall I'm feeling the same way about it that I did about Sticker Star. I dread going into battle because I'm just going to have to use some of my limited card stock and the only thing I'm gonna get for winning is some paint, maybe a card that may or may not replace what I used in battle, and some hammer scraps. Winning a regular battle feels barely above zero sum and the process of selecting a card and getting it into play is starting to feel tedious. Oh well. I'm not surprised, this is exactly what I thought I'd feel like.

The writing is cute, though, as always with Paper Mario. Just not sure how much further I can go.

Why Nintendo won't just go full action-adventure game with this series when they have already stated they don't consider it to be an RPG series anymore AND the series has already had an installment with non-RPG combat is absolutely baffling. The leftover pieces of the RPG Paper Mario corpse is just holding the series back at this point.

Why Nintendo won't just go full action-adventure game with this series when they have already stated they don't consider it to be an RPG series anymore AND the series has already had an installment with non-RPG combat is absolutely baffling. The leftover pieces of the RPG Paper Mario corpse is just holding the series back at this point.
Or they could return to the roots of the series and make battles worthwhile again.

If they were actually able to successfully blend the RPG and adventures styles of the former and latter entries, then I think the majority of fans would be satisfied.

bibs

Probably gonna echo the sentiments in this thread and say that this game truly is way better than I ever expected. Amazing writing, great graphics and the gameplay itself is really fun. There is something quite satisfying in colouring the empty spots in the world map, much like Splatoon. Only minor annoyance is that for me it's sometimes hard to judge where Mario's hammer will land when you paint something. I've lost a fair amount of paint just trying to aim at at spot to colour and it not hitting where I want to go.

jepense

You should soon have enough money to just go buy a hundred good cards from the shop, and then you can use the basic attacks as much as you like. Once you do that, you are only limited in special attacks. You also get the ability to buy cards during battle, but it's slow to do, so I just stocked up. But I agree that the battle rewards should be better. Also, change to button controls in settings and the battles become a lot faster.

I just got the first big star and had my first laugh out loud moment in the following scene. The writing is probably the best of any Paper Mario.

Mudo

3 hours in and i can safely say i Love this game. jaw dropping graphics, jazzy orchestrated music, on-point consistently funny writing, and perhaps due to tempered expectations, battles are also fun. you can level up paint, get coins paint and cards from winning and they all explode out like a loot piñata. I feel there is enough to make battles worth having. the cards take a bit too long to get set and ready to use which is my only issue with battles. I live the over world , really i'm just in love and shocked that i am. Reminds me a lot of TTYD for some reason - it just (so far) has that....thing...that makes some games special. Can't wait to continue playing all night - a rarity for me nowadays!

sikkinixx

I've been watching my wife play all night so far and she's really into it. Slow paced game. Seems pretty easy and laid back but fun. Writing is funny, music is great and man it looks *so* good. Nintendo continues to crush it with art styles.

El Odio

Banned
POSSIBLY CONTROVERSIAL OPINION

Oddly enough I kind of like the battles in this one so far, dare I honestly say more than in the first two. I never really liked the battling in the original since it never really felt fun and you could honestly just start steamrolling most enemies by chapter 4 in TTYD, in my playthrough last month I pretty much just used multi-bounce/powerbounce throughout the whole thing. Here it feels like there's actually a bit of strategy involved thanks to limited cards and how some enemies react to attacks (I've only seen it regarding koopas and how they'll hide in their shell after jump attacks, allowing you to use them to attack enemies behind them, I'm assuming there's going to be more scenarios like this later.)

Timeaisis

First two courses down, I'm digging it so far. Battle system is OK, but a bit slow. I can see it getting boring quickly, but we'll see. Writing is fun so far, and the graphics are fantastic.

Oh man, I cleared 97% of the Colorless Spots in Indigo Underground and combed the stage for the last 3% and can't find it anywhere. I spent like an hour looking. This is going to drive me insane.

So I've been playing for about an hour now.. and seriously Nintendo.. do I look like an idiot to you? Please tell me that Huey will stop reminding me "I can push up on the d-pad to get his advice" because he just told me 3 times in about 5 minutes. Bringing back those Skyward sword nightmares again.

So I've been playing for about an hour now.. and seriously Nintendo.. do I look like an idiot to you? Please tell me that Huey will stop reminding me "I can push up on the d-pad to get his advice" because he just told me 3 times in about 5 minutes. Bringing back those Skyward sword nightmares again.

44_dxp_msc.jpg

jepense

He only does it in the very beginning to drive in the point that it's actually useful to get his advice. He is chatty, but his comments are mostly great and I enjoy reading his chat. And, it's actually a good thing to remember that you can get hints from him, since there are often situations where you have to go back to a previous level to get a key item, and Huey will tell it to you if you ask. So if you face a puzzle, you can check with him if you are supposed to solve it now or later.

Ugh relax. That's the only time he does it from what I remember. He's nothing like Fi in any way.

He only does it in the very beginning to drive in the point that it's actually useful to get his advice. He is chatty, but his comments are mostly great and I enjoy reading his chat. And, it's actually a good thing to remember that you can get hints from him, since there are often situations where you have to go back to a previous level to get a key item, and Huey will tell it to you if you ask. So if you face a puzzle, you can check with him if you are supposed to solve it now or later.

Yeah I have no doubt that Huey can be helpful, but they can trigger him in those spots to remind you then, I mean they will know which are the common roadblocks when they did testing. Triggering him that often at the start when there is no need for his help is rather pointless.

I am completely stuck. There's a blue star in the blue district by the water wheel. I can make a cutout appear, but nothing happens. I just got a pliunger. They want me to find a postman toad. When I ask for advice, I get told "go to the blue district and ask the toads" BUT THEY SAY NOTHING USEFUL. I am so annoyed right now.

Ok, doing some research online shows me that the post toad is the key, but I can't find him. Where is he? :(

Top Bottom