• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

MicH

I've hated on this game since reveal, but here I am, waiting on the download to finish so I can play it :D Quite excited to start it.

Also, as someone who hasn't really used the Wii U in the last year or so - my god does this system have the slowest OS I've ever experienced. So fucking terrible

Alpha_eX

I know I'm going to hate the combat but I love the charm and adventure this game seems to offer. Picked it up at lunch from CEX here in the UK, brand new and sealed :)

Want to get this one done and dusted before Dragon Quest Builders takes over my life.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really wish the music in the New SMB series was more like this. This is the evolution of Mario music I want, not that hideous BAH BAH stuff.

This game has "play me in the winter months when darkness envelopes you" vibe all over it for me. I can deal with some of the complaints that I've heard on the combat system with the art and humor.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think I just saw an Exorcist reference in the first underground zone, lol.

Vibed

As much as certain things with this bother me...I can't resist Paper Mario. Since TTYD when I was 8, I've bought all the titles on release day.
So excited.

Why do I have to go to work today? I want to keep playing. ;_;

Does anyone know if there's an option to control card selection during battles with buttons instead of touching?

maxcriden

Why do I have to go to work today? I want to keep playing. ;_;

Does anyone know if there's an option to control card selection during battles with buttons instead of touching?

Yeah, there are multiple options--quoting myself here from the review thread:

I really like the advanced touch controls. They remove one step of battle screens and you still get the palpable card flicking which I enjoy, especially with the sound up in the GamePad which we only started doing last night. Easy to forget to turn that on when you usually play on the tv.

People who prefer buttons to touching I'm guessing will like the button controls option best though. Haven't tried it but just basing that on what I've read.

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself!

Just started playing through the introductory sequence (then the baby needed some attention) and even though I can already tell that the combat system is nothing to be thrilled about the whole presentation is simply amazing. To be honest, I don't think I've seen many games that look better than this. The fact that this old brick can produce graphics like this goes to show that all this teraflop-4K-HDR crap is kind of nonsense to sell us some slightly faster hardware.

Just started playing through the introductory sequence (then the baby needed some attention) and even though I can already tell that the combat system is nothing to be thrilled about the whole presentation is simply amazing. To be honest, I don't think I've seen many games that look better than this. The fact that this old brick can produce graphics like this goes to show that all this teraflop-4K-HDR crap is kind of nonsense to sell us some slightly faster hardware.

I love art-styles like this, especially compared to the realistic take so many games try to do.

Tearaway on the Vita has some of the best executed graphics I've ever seen. It doesn't push a billion polygons or anything crazy, but it absolutely NAILED its aesthetic to the point where it looks more "real" than a lot of AAA games to me.

I can't wait to pick this up soon. I loved Sticker Star and everything I've heard makes this sound like an even better version of that.

Feels weird having both this and Mafia 3 same day - opposite ends of the violence / kids spectrum

looking forward to both

TheGrue

Dan from Giant Bomb had me a little scared about this game, but played a bit this morning and I don't feel the battle system is as slow as he makes it out to be. Was pretty easy to get my cards out there and the game told me about an option to go into an Advanced mode, which I've turned on, but didn't get a chance to do a battle with it. The description in the game made it sound like it makes readying a card quicker, so wondering if Dan missed that and never enabled it. If anyone has turned it on, let me know what you think.

Really enjoying the game so far. The writing has been pretty enjoyable.

Oh, I guess so you know whether you can trust my opinion or not, I've enjoyed every Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario game Nintendo has released (yes, even Sticker Star). I'm not one of those who feels Paper Mario has to hang on to its original routes and have enjoyed where they've taken the series.

Xenoboy

Got the first mini star, the game has been nice so far. I loved how a blue toad talked about being killed by the first Goomba.

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished Ruddy Road. I am a monster for helping that Toad at the end.

There are invisible blocks that you have to paint after you hit them. That's just mean.

It's pretty fun so far.

maxcriden

I just finished Ruddy Road. I am a monster for helping that Toad at the end.

There are invisible blocks that you have to paint after you hit them. That's just mean.

It's pretty fun so far.

The dialogue in the line of Shy Guys waiting for coffee is exceptionally fun.

maxcriden

I hate the card battle system. I'm almost completely out of cards already. What do I do now?

Sorry to hear it. In addition to the shop mentioned above, there will soon enough be a new additional battle mechanic you will gain access to that will address this issue.

Xenoboy

tumblr_oeosggs8xa1u8hrm1o1_1280.jpg
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

TheMoon

Dan from Giant Bomb had me a little scared about this game, but played a bit this morning and I don't feel the battle system is as slow as he makes it out to be. Was pretty easy to get my cards out there and the game told me about an option to go into an Advanced mode, which I've turned on, but didn't get a chance to do a battle with it. The description in the game made it sound like it makes readying a card quicker, so wondering if Dan missed that and never enabled it. If anyone has turned it on, let me know what you think.

Never go to Giant Bomb for Nintendo opinions. Go to Giant Bomb for mainstream coverage and misinformation. :D

Never go to Giant Bomb for Nintendo opinions. Go to Giant Bomb for mainstream coverage and misinformation. :D

Seriously this. I don't know if they've always been this way, but they feel like they've been especially cynical recently (and yeah, they're not exactly the biggest Nintendo fans)

AdanVC

Gawd damn, this game looks amazing. The art direction is just fantastic.

It is indeed. One of the most beautiful looking games of the year IMHO. Wish there was some sort of collectible book with concept art of this game (and past Paper Mario games too) I'm sure the devs had a great time designing all this crazy and creative paper worlds. Too bad this is Nintendo we're talking so we never going to see any of that :(

Joqu

Everyone go to advanced settings and enable button control for battles. I don't mind the touch controls too much but it was annoying having them disabled by default, muscle memory and all that

Some thoughts:

Game's good! Don't know for sure HOW good yet, but much better than Sticker Star, which I enjoyed but definitely didn't like as much as any other Paper Mario game. Lots more (albeit generic) NPCs, and as a result writing, good writing. Environments have been much more varied compared to Sticker Star too, and the Paper aesthetic looks fantastic. Best looking Paper Mario game by far, and that's saying something. Those games hold up.

And remember that Snifit or Whiffit moment in Sticker Star? That is to say, one of the few really memorable Sticker Star moments? Color Splash has had plenty of scenarios like that already, and that's fantastic.

Paint mechanic is fun, if somewhat finicky and the cards are an improvement over the stickers so far and leveling up your paint meter makes the battles feel less pointless, so that's good too. And Huey's a fun companion. Definitely more of a Tipi than a Kersti.

Now, this isn't some The Thousand-Year Door 2, I miss the variety in NPC and enemy design. It's definitely got some of TTYD's darker humour though. Still quite different, and not exactly what I want out of a Paper Mario game, but it feels more like say, a Super Paper Mario now. That is to say, definitely an experimental one, but one that keeps the spirit of the first two games. Though it's probably closer to a 64-2 with less RPG elements in terms of actual design

So basically I'm pretty damn pleased, and if this is what we would've gotten after Super instead of Sticker Star I think people would've been a whole lot more pleased with the new formula. This wouldn't have felt out of place after Super at all. (I loved Super for the record)

Oh yeah, and the soundtrack is AMAZING.

But I do still miss the partners, NPC variety, and enemy variety of older Paper Mario games. If they add that stuff back in with the next one they'll have something damn near perfect, because this has been a really solid effort so far

mattiewheels

I wonder how many people will pass on this because of Dan's comments on the Bombcast. He's right to a degree, but there's also misinformation that might have made him feel better about the experience (button controls, card roulette if you don't have the right card). Personally wish the cards had a "grid view" option, since the real tedium now comes from having to scroll for a while in every battle. It's weird that he loved it for the most part but then said it was possibly worse than Sticker Star?

TheGrue

Dan's the one Nintendo guy, though. That being said, I typically don't pay attention to Dan's opinions. Thus why I bought it anyway.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Won't lie that the comments on the Bombcast kind of made me wonder if it was THAT bad, because man, that was the first time I've ever heard the guy who mad about a game, but then Gamexplain's review kind of made me wonder "wow, is it REALLY that much better than Sticker Star? & this is coming from someone who disliked SS!"

If anything, at this rate, I'm very curious as to how I'll receive the game since I felt it could've worked if they fixed some stuff....though it's still a shame that everyone is pretty much a damn Toad, I miss the variety from the previous games.

Edit: JUST got my copy from UPS, gonna try & quickly finish getting the platinum for Odin Sphere, then I'll pop this in.

Dan absolutely loves Nintendo games, though. No need to pretend Giant Bomb is biased against Nintendo or something just because you disagree with them.

iidesuyo

I ordered the game somewhere in July and had totally forgotten about it. Today it's suddenly there.

Just started it and the graphics are very nice!

Kinsei

Banned
I managed to find a hidden Luigi in Bloo Bay Beach which netted me 300 coins. I wonder how many of them are scattered throughout the game.

I really like how open the game is so far. I've completely ignored what I'm assuming is the first boss stage.

TheMoon

Seriously this. I don't know if they've always been this way, but they feel like they've been especially cynical recently (and yeah, they're not exactly the biggest Nintendo fans)

Back when they started it was all fine and well. The cynicism got really bad in recent years which is why I don't go there anymore (used to be my favorite site once). They don't even have to be big Ninty fans, it's just the misinformation and lack of understanding for certain types of games/game design schools that bothers me there.

Dan absolutely loves Nintendo games, though. No need to pretend Giant Bomb is biased against Nintendo or something just because you disagree with them.

Don't put words in my mouth! :)

Dan's the one Nintendo guy, though. That being said, I typically don't pay attention to Dan's opinions. Thus why I bought it anyway.

I know, doesn't change the rest of the circumstances :D

maxcriden

I managed to find a hidden Luigi in Bloo Bay Beach which netted me 300 coins. I wonder how many of them are scattered throughout the game.

I really like how open the game is so far. I've completely ignored what I'm assuming is the first boss stage.

That hidden Luigi was delightful. And, really well hidden. We only found it because we saw it in a video of the level that we'd looked up to figure out how to get past one part. We really liked Bloo Bay Beach in general.

Joqu

Oh yeah, that manual. Gosh they put some love into that manual. I've been reading through it despite not needing any help

Mario Maker's in game manual was amazing too. Any other game that does this?

TheMoon

Oh yeah, that manual. Gosh they put some love into that manual. I've been reading through it despite not needing any help

Mario Maker's in game manual was amazing too. Any other game that does this?

Xenoblade X's manual is also super elaborate. Probably not in a fancy design way like this, though.

Okay, so I am watching a lets play of this game and I have to say: this game is full of heart, charme and creativity a complete opposite to the last Mario RPG game, Paper Jam which was generic and boring as hell imo.

A real shame that the battle system and the main story are not appealing to me at all. Hope this game won't sell sooooo bad.

TheMoon

Can someone please tell me how to take pics from the game directly with the console?

->

How do you take screenshots on Wii U?

To post 720p screenshots, hit HOME, go to the web browser, go to your preferred image hoster (imgur.com/abload.de are recommended), click the "browse" button and then pick either the TV or GamePad screen and upload. Ideally you should have an account so you can easily access your uploaded pics via the gallery on your computer.

Top Bottom