• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

jepense

Yeah I have no doubt that Huey can be helpful, but they can trigger him in those spots to remind you then, I mean they will know which are the common roadblocks when they did testing. Triggering him that often at the start when there is no need for his help is rather pointless.

No, they don't trigger him for hints almost at all after the beginning. He talks about what is happening (plot points and jokes) and gives general directions. That's why he reminds you three times in the beginning, that if you want actual tips, you have to ask for them. It's really good IMO, since you have tips available, but they are not forced on you.

I am completely stuck. There's a blue star in the blue district by the water wheel. I can make a cutout appear, but nothing happens. I just got a pliunger. They want me to find a postman toad. When I ask for advice, I get told "go to the blue district and ask the toads" BUT THEY SAY NOTHING USEFUL. I am so annoyed right now.

To have cutout work, you must align things in the background just right so that they match the outline. In blue district after fixing the bridge, you need to ask the post toad to fix the sign first, and then the cutout will work when you are in the correct position.

No, they don't trigger him for hints almost at all after the beginning. He talks about what is happening (plot points and jokes) and gives general directions. That's why he reminds you three times in the beginning, that if you want actual tips, you have to ask for them. It's really good IMO, since you have tips available, but they are not forced on you.

To have cutout work, you must align things in the background just right so that they match the outline. In blue district after fixing the bridge, you need to ask the post toad to fix the sign first, and then the cutout will work when you are in the correct position.

I don't have the post toad :(

Okay cool, that's good to know then. I'm glad the start was the exception to the norm for Huey. I'm at Cherry lake now, and am starting to get into the flow of the game. Restoring colourless spots is quite addictive, and reminds me of exploring every nook and cranny in Luigi's mansion 2. Good stuff so far.

MicH

I really love this game, but I hate the Battle system. I wish they'd gone full out when choosing a card system. Let the cards be reusable, let us make decks of our favorite card combinations or something. It's too bad because I love everything else about the game

Just because, I made a picture to show the nice variety of the game. Coming from Sticker Star, Color Splash surprised me a lot, and I would be very happy to have another sequel on NX if Intelligent Systems polished the combat system a bit more (heart and deck upgrades should be battle rewards like the hammer ones).

Lots of end-game spoilers ahead, be careful if you are just starting:

colorsplashz2qoy.jpg

Shaanyboi

Banned
Good god, trying to download this damn game is reminding me why I stopped using this system with any kind of regularity. The shop is such a fucking slow pain in the ass to use. Hell, the OS on any level is being infuriating.

MicH

Good god, trying to download this damn game is reminding me why I stopped using this system with any kind of regularity. The shop is such a fucking slow pain in the ass to use. Hell, the OS on any level is being infuriating.
Oh god yes, the Wii U OS is almost unusable to me. It's so ridiculously slow. I hadn't used it much in the past year before I downloaded Color Splash and I was ripping my hair out because everything took forever

crushy

Neo Member
Anyone else experienced a sound bug? In the blue zone when the decor starts rolling up, something went broken in my system and all I could hear from that point was screechy noises and snow. (like a real bad Skrillex-track) played until I could save and thankfully when I restarted the game everything went back to normal

Robin64

Finishing a zone with about 98% of the zone painted might be one of the most upsetting things in the world.

Simbabbad

Oh god yes, the Wii U OS is almost unusable to me. It's so ridiculously slow.
The Wii U is the console with the quickest "turning the console on -> playing a game" delay by FAR. You push the home button, you tap the game you want, it's already launching. Unless you spend your life in the eShop or in the console settings, which would be really weird, there is no issue whatsoever.

woopWOOP

Somehow my local gamestore's delivery date was pushed back to October 8th, but once I get that call I'm picking it up right away. Have been avoiding most streams and videos whatnot, trying to get into this (semi) blind!

I can't say enough how great the humor is. Even though most of the characters are Toads, I can feel their difference in personalities.

MicH

I'm stuck again lol. I've gotten every star currently available to me. Can't clear Sunglow Ridge because of the gate being unpainted and I still need one more key for Crimson Tower. Where do I go?

The Wii U is the console with the quickest "turning the console on -> playing a game" delay by FAR. You push the home button, you tap the game you want, it's already launching. Unless you spend your life in the eShop or in the console settings, which would be really weird, there is no issue whatsoever.
Quick launch is amazing, but everything else about the OS is horrendously slow

jepense

I'm now a couple of levels beyond the second big star, and so far I'd say this is the best Paper Mario game - better than TTYD. Yes, the combat is not as deep as in TTYD, but there has actually been quite little of it. Most of the game is puzzles and investigating the world, which was the best part in TTYD anyway. Chapters 3 and 6, specifically, were my favorites in that game, and Color Splash is constantly giving me the same feeling as those chapters. (Of course I'm not very far yet, so it could be I'm just at a high point in this game, like chapter 3 in TTYD...)

jepense

I'm stuck again lol. I've gotten every star currently available to me. Can't clear Sunglow Ridge because of the gate being unpainted and I still need one more key for Crimson Tower. Where do I go?

The red key is at Cherry Lake, the blue key is at Bloo Bay, and the yellow key is at Daffodil Peak.

Kinsei

Banned
Locking unique cards behind roshambo is really stupid. I've been trying to beat the first wizard for an hour now.

Robin64

Between Big Star 1 and 2:
Marmalade Valley, the second encounter with Princess, the big chain chomp, is shiiiiiiiiit. Keep getting game over while I figure out the way to go a little more each time. Who thought this was a good idea? Should just restart that section right away upon failing.

Then you need to
repair the bridge in Port Prisma, for which you need to find the bridge toad. If I remember right, he is at crimson tower, where you get by finding the second star in Cherry lake. You need to use cutout to reach it.

I've repaired the bridge. No Post Toad. The newspaper Toad says to find him and he hopes noone has thrown him away in the recycling bin. But I can't find him :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Only an hour in and I already groan at every fight that I come across. Not a good sign. Really enjoying the humor and exploration though.

MicH

The red key is at Cherry Lake, the blue key is at Bloo Bay, and the yellow key is at Daffodil Peak.
Thank you! Didn't think to revisit that place.

Also, fuck Kamek. I swear everything he (she?) turns my cards around I pick the Thing I need. I'm going insane. Literally happened with my
plunger in the dungeon where you fight Morton.
Drives me crazy!

Blues1990

I borrowed a copy of the game from a friend, & after getting about 1/4 way through, I still feel 'meh' about the whole experience (despite trying to keep an open mind).

I don't know, maybe some cool shit will happen soon, but I'm considering dropping the game if something doesn't pick up.

Just finished Ruddy Road. This is a very fun, relaxing and charming game. Exactly what I needed.

For those who despise the combat, have you tried whatever the quick customized battle options are that Huey was talking about? How is it?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just finished Ruddy Road. This is a very fun, relaxing and charming game. Exactly what I needed.

For those who despise the combat, have you tried whatever the quick customized battle options are that Huey was talking about? How is it?

More steeamlined in terms o input

Robin64

Kamek switching cards over isn't too bad. As long as you sort your cards, all your Things are on the far left. If you can guess how many jump and hammer cards you have, you can sort of pick what you want. Another clue is to look at the paint meter top left when you hover over a card, it will tell you how much paint of what colour it will use to paint the card, and that's a big clue.

Sami+

Smash takes fucking forever lol. Easily the slowest console from my experience, my PS4 just boots me right back to where I stopped. Maybe that's just Smash tho.

More streamlined in terms of input

I'd like to be able to select, paint and flick the cards on the one screen. I think it would make things flow better, well for me anyway. I keep flicking the card first then clicking the button and flicking them on the next screen. All in one screen would be a neat option.

Between Big Star 1 and 2:
Marmalade Valley, the second encounter with Princess, the big chain chomp, is shiiiiiiiiit. Keep getting game over while I figure out the way to go a little more each time. Who thought this was a good idea? Should just restart that section right away upon failing.

It is. The worst thing is there is more of that stupid stuff in the rest of the game.

Bersi

Played 3 hours last night, really enjoying it so far, game is georgeous, the soundtrack is amazing and the writing is pretty good, combat system is nothing special, but i don't find it annoying for now, i almost immediately switched to the advanced setting so that i can skip some input, much better for me at least.

My only complaint so far is that goddamn the toads are all similar, even the "special" ones like the architect are all dressed the same, i don't get it :(

Velcro Fly

Man I totally forgot this game was coming out. So focused on 3DS RPGs.

As someone that liked Sticker Star enough to almost do two complete playthroughs, this seems like a no brainer. Seems like it improves upon that game in many ways that people complained about.

bart64

Banned
What a beautiful game! Music is masterful too. But the writing is just two steps above anything In the industry, bravo.

I'm not even mad at the battle system, It's a bit shallow but it's ramping up nicely already.

Curious why there is such an impossible standard this game is judged against. Ttyd was groundbreaking, but it also had lots of padding and annoying spikes, and we forgave it for that. Was it that part where the perspective shifts in the plaza that has everyone worshipping that game?

Aeana

What a beautiful game! Music is masterful too. But the writing is just two steps above anything In the industry, bravo.

I'm not even mad at the battle system, It's a bit shallow but it's ramping up nicely already.

Curious why there is such an impossible standard this game is judged against. Ttyd was groundbreaking, but it also had lots of padding and annoying spikes, and we forgave it for that. Was it that part where the perspective shifts in the plaza that has everyone worshipping that game?
My complaints with the game have absolutely nothing to do with any other game in the series. TTYD's quality has no bearing on the fact that battles in this game are a waste of time.

Haunted

It's certainly a beautiful game, with solid writing, charming characters and humour, and all around fun exploration. Just feels good to whack things and splash paint all around. Top marks on all of those.

But I concur with Aeana that most (i.e. regular enemies around the levels) of the battle system is a waste of time with absolutely minimal depth and a UI that needs way too many steps to input even the simplest commands. It's a shame since that whole part takes up so much of the game. I'm only a couple levels in and I'm already trying to avoid enemies as best I can - that's not the sign of a well-designed system.

All that said, I'm still enjoying my time with the game outside of the grinding combat (the special encounters and bosses are great).

edit:
giving the Thing Cards completely over the top battle animations akin to FF summons is bloody brilliant.

MrBadger

I think the difference here is that it's the core gameplay of Colour Splash that's the issue for people, rather than a few dull moments. If you don't like the way the combat's designed, you'll be dealing with it for the whole game. Easier to forgive something if there's something better waiting for you after you plod through it.

I sort of only want to pick up this game because of an inclination I have that in about 3 months no new copies will exist and the value will quadruple. But it's good to see it's improved on Sticker Star.

ScOULaris

I got the game the other day and I'm a few hours into it so far. Once you get past the training wheels portion of the game (usually the first hour or so in modern Nintendo action/adventure games) it really picks up in quality. You start having to actually think to solve puzzles, and battles get ever-so-slightly more strategic. The combat is definitely the biggest letdown in the game, though. It's just too simplistic and doesn't yield enough rewards for partaking in it.

That being said, everyone should be using the Simple Touch + Buttons control scheme for battles. Having to constantly tap and swipe on the Wii U pad's touchscreen gets old quickly, so just using the d-pad and A button for all of your card selection and painting makes it feel much snappier.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think I'm gonna have to check out of this game... got it early, but haven't picked it up in a week. Apparently, I'm a purple toad shy of getting the only missing available star in the map. Don't know where the hell that turkey is and I'm getting tired of jumping from course to course looking.

The battles are boring as hell. I try real hard to avoid them but end up getting caught occasionally. Every time I get caught in one where the guy with the broom flies by, fucks up my cards, and breaks the 'flee' button I ask myself "what did I do to deserve this punishment".

Hyperbole, yeah, but this stuff is getting pretty grating. I'd rather the battles not even exist at this point. Just let me waltz through the pretty levels and enjoy the story.

Kinsei

Banned
The Kiwano Temple music is amazing. At least i'll have something nice to listen to as aI race through it since for some reason they decided to place two paint stars right next to each other at the end of the stage.

Despite choosing each area from a world map, the world feels more connected than TTYD.

Top Bottom