• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

fernoca

This is quickly becoming my favorite game of the year.

But then, I'm probably the only person that wished the painting in here, meant actually painting the cards. Taking it even a bit beyond, by painting on a specific color, you could add attributes to the attack. So a red boot causes fire damage, blue either water or ice, etc.

But Advanced touch will do. Select, hold to paint and swipe.

Just love everything about this.

Bog

Junior Ace
Took me an hour before I finally had to look up where the vest was for the Toad in Cherry Lake. Come on, there was barely any "tell" there.

Just beat the Colosseum level. That is some fantastic level/scenario design right there. So with that I just got the second star, and I've basically 100% everything the game will allow me to up to that point. As others have said, battles are mostly a chore, but the game is fantastic otherwise. At least after each main star they "level up" your hammer and jump attacks so you can smash enemies in real time without having to do a proper battle.

TheMoon

Took me an hour before I finally had to look up where the vest was for the Toad in Cherry Lake. Come on, there was barely any "tell" there.

I found all of them without even looking for them just on my normal way exploring stuff. Don't think they're particularly tough to find.

boxter432

Same here. I guess there was a reflection but the actual item sticking out of the dock was basically nonexistent.

I walked past it about 6 times before I finally saw it, definitely my main "stumped" moment of the game.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Sorry if this was ask before,but for those who are playing it, or already finished it, is the game story good enough to overwrite the battle system mechanic.

I've never been so indecisive about a game before, but this game managed to do it.

Sorry if this was ask before,but for those who are playing it, or already finished it, is the game story good enough to overwrite the battle system mechanic.

I've never been so indecisive about a game before, but this game managed to do it.

The story is kind of whatever (it's just a generic Mario plot), but the dialog is fantastic and the game is fun to play. The puzzles are great.

Some will say yes, others will say no.

I submit the battle system isn't as bad as some think it is, and the rest of the game more than makes up for its misgivings regardless.

Every time I play through a cool part of the game I go "man, that was totally awesome. I bet they can't top it!" And then the game goes and tops it.

Just got the game a few days ago . Is there anything special for finding the hidden Luigis? I only found two of them so far and I'm at Plum Park. I feel like I missed some other hidden Luigis at this point.

Kebiinu

Banned
Just beat the quiz level, and wow am I enjoying the hell out of this game. The level of polish is insane, the conclusion to that haunted hotel, for example? Wow.

This game really is a gem.

Biske

Really loving this game, the writing is great, I'm a big fan of the contained levels and all that. Great follow up to Sticker Star.

BUT

One thing I fucking hate. Hate hate hate, is how tedious the battles can be.

They made them an absolute chore. Pick you card. paint it, confirm you want to use them, flick them.

Like for god sakes.

I wish it would just auto paint the cards or some, like keep a fuckin normal battle menu, I choose hammers, and the strength and it auto paints and attacks, don't make me do this tedious shit as an excuse for using the gamepad.

I love this game and I love the game pad, but that kind of shit reaks "gotta use the game pad"

Fuck you, and fuck your card bullshit.

(I don't have a problem with using cards as attacks, just the way they implemented it)

LoveCake

I got Paper Mario Sticker Star when it came out on 3DS and I loved it, I had not played a Paper Mario game before Sticker Star, I know that a lot of people didn't like Sticker Star but I loved it to bits, so not wanting to offend anyone, but how does Colour Splash compare to Sticker Star? the previous Paper Mario just didn't appeal to me even after playing through Sticker Star.

Kinsei

Banned
Just got the game a few days ago . Is there anything special for finding the hidden Luigis? I only found two of them so far and I'm at Plum Park. I feel like I missed some other hidden Luigis at this point.

You need to find them to get 100% of the cutouts.

Yeah, you've missed one.

TheMoon

I got Paper Mario Sticker Star when it came out on 3DS and I loved it, I had not played a Paper Mario game before Sticker Star, I know that a lot of people didn't like Sticker Star but I loved it to bits, so not wanting to offend anyone, but how does Colour Splash compare to Sticker Star? the previous Paper Mario just didn't appeal to me even after playing through Sticker Star.

Color Splash is like Sticker Star but with a lot of the things people didn't like fixed/addressed and the humor turned up to 11.

You'll like this one too, probably better than Sticker Star.

Far from a perfect game, but SO GREAT. well worth playing and battling contains more depth than most give it credit for. You need to suffer through other aspects of it, yes, but there is strategy. The coin/card economy seems a bit broken at the moment given the roshambo temples, but I hope i get a larger wallet later on and certain things in the game require massive coin spend

LoveCake

Color Splash is like Sticker Star but with a lot of the things people didn't like fixed/addressed and the humor turned up to 11.

You'll like this one too, probably better than Sticker Star.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look, I have got a couple of games still to get through on my WiiU.

fernoca

Really loving this game, the writing is great, I'm a big fan of the contained levels and all that. Great follow up to Sticker Star.

BUT

One thing I fucking hate. Hate hate hate, is how tedious the battles can be.

They made them an absolute chore. Pick you card. paint it, confirm you want to use them, flick them.

Like for god sakes.

I wish it would just auto paint the cards or some, like keep a fuckin normal battle menu, I choose hammers, and the strength and it auto paints and attacks, don't make me do this tedious shit as an excuse for using the gamepad.

I love this game and I love the game pad, but that kind of shit reaks "gotta use the game pad"

Fuck you, and fuck your card bullshit.

(I don't have a problem with using cards as attacks, just the way they implemented it)
If you haven't already, try switching to Advanced Touch controls. You choose, paint and confirm cards in one screen, then just go to the "flick screen".

The original Basic setup and Basic with Buttons have you go through one screen to choose cards, another screen to paint and confirm and another screen to flick it to the game.

Unless you tried already and still not like it. XD

Biske

If you haven't already, try switching to Advanced Touch controls. You choose, paint and confirm cards in one screen, then just go to the "flick screen".

The original Basic setup and Basic with Buttons have you go through one screen to choose cards, another screen to paint and confirm and another screen to flick it to the game.

Unless you tried already and still not like it. XD

I still don't like it, its better, it helps, but still super tedious.

Its one thing if its like a boss and its a fun fight and it matters. But when its just a stupid goomba fight?

And then another, and another.

It's just not fun.

Its like if in an RPG, instead of just doing a physical attack, "what do you want to attack with? The Sword. Okay get the sword ready! Use the sword!"

multiple times in a battle, it wears on me.

Watch what the toads are doing.

EDIT: Looks like you edited so you probably figured it out already.

Even then, you are given almost no time to react. I died twice on that. First time was because I didn't break the board with my hammer fast enough, second was when I ran to the left and didn't hide with the Toad. That segment is terribly telegraphed and there's no reason why getting hit by the chomp needed to be an actual game over and send you back to the title screen.

Hell, sending the player back to the title screen when they die is an incredibly boneheaded decision. The game lacks multiple save slots (despite the previous PM entries giving you multiple slots), so there's no point to the title screen anyways. It's just an extra step.

Even then, you are given almost no time to react. I died twice on that. First time was because I didn't break the board with my hammer fast enough, second was when I ran to the left and didn't hide with the Toad. That segment is terribly telegraphed and there's no reason why getting hit by the chomp needed to be an actual game over and send you back to the title screen.

Hell, sending the player back to the title screen when they die is an incredibly boneheaded decision. The game lacks multiple save slots (despite the previous PM entries giving you multiple slots), so there's no point to the title screen anyways. It's just an extra step.
Can't disagree there. I died two or three times on that sequence and it was a pain in the ass. But it would be fine if they just had a retry option.

El Odio

Banned
I honestly don't understand how anyone can actually have any trouble with the chomp sequences. The first one gives you a crap load of time to run in the only possible direction you can and to safety while the second one feels incredibly obvious in what to do.

That segment with the train though, that one got me the first time if only because I was laughing so hard at first with how it all went down before I was like "Aw fuck it's coming right at me!"

I was not prepared for the Green Energy Plant segment, hot damn that section was cool as a cucumber.

Not only do you get a SMB3 throwback, but a Super Paper Mario throwback as well. I really wasn't expecting the latter at all, it was pretty cool to see that ability come back. The Thing Cards you get in that stage are pretty neat too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Think I'm stuck. I need 3 more Yellow Rescue Toads but not sure where to look.

Edit: nevermind, I found them

Its one thing if its like a boss and its a fun fight and it matters. But when its just a stupid goomba fight?

And then another, and another.

fairly early on your hammer gets powerful enough to kill goombas and rats with only the B button in-level attack, netting coins but no shot at paint, cards, or hammer level ups. Its not a solution, but is something

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Should I give in & get the pack of 30 cards from the Snifit for 1,000 coins? Not like I'm gonna spend them on anything else.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
.............please tell me I don't need to get a perfect on Snifit or Whiffit....

...or is that what the snifit at the beginning of the stage helps you with?

Joqu

.............please tell me I don't need to get a perfect on Snifit or Whiffit....

you do and yeah, the snifit helps. one of those money spending monents. he gives you the cards you need only.

if you reach the bonus rounds (which you'll need to beat) and fail you can pay the snifit to go straight to those too

El Odio

Banned

In addition to what's said above you don't need to perfect it at the moment. You can get further along in the story without doing so until you reach the boss of
Fortune Island.

Joqu

In addition to what's said above you don't need to perfect it at the moment. You can get further along in the story without doing so until you reach the boss of
Fortune Island.

I'd just do it in one go tbh. makes it a little easier to remember the rounds

but yeah, that's up to you

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Phew, got through it. I just recorded some of the questions on my phone to ensure I got them right. If anything, the one where you have to correctly fill in the amount of paint was the one I had issues with.

Thank goodness, that wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Vibed

Just beat the game and did everything besides donate the last 30 enemy cards. Probably not gonna do that, not worth the time spent for 8 pieces of concept art.

By the end, I was shocked by how much I loved it. The battle system was pretty fun imo and I found myself engaging in battles at least half the time. To me it's similar enough to the first few games except with inventory management. It just needed some incentive to do, which the Hammer scraps and the enemy cards were plenty for me. Music and visuals wowed me all the way through. The charm of it all was so infectious, I couldn't help but love every minute. And boy, I was so invested that that ending *almost* made me cry.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
A few hours in and I enjoy the battle system thus far. Similar to Sticker Star, which I really enjoyed too, I clear an area of enemies at least my first time through. I haven't hit any of the 'missing card you critically need' in a fight like you had with stickers in SS, yet, so I'm happily trekking along.

I do really love having the world broken into courses like this. I wouldn't care for that in Zelda, or a Metroid, but it fights perfectly with Mario. By the way, Paper Metroid.. would just be lovely. Morph Ball just being Samus crumbling herself up is very obvious, but fits perfectly. :p

Kinsei

Banned
A few hours in and I enjoy the battle system thus far. Similar to Sticker Star, which I really enjoyed too, I clear an area of enemies at least my first time through. I haven't hit any of the 'missing card you critically need' in a fight like you had with stickers in SS, yet, so I'm happily trekking along.

I do really love having the world broken into courses like this. I wouldn't care for that in Zelda, or a Metroid, but it fights perfectly with Mario. By the way, Paper Metroid.. would just be lovely. Morph Ball just being Samus crumbling herself up is very obvious, but fits perfectly. :p

I'd prefer to have a Paper Zelda first. I feel like the enemies from Zelda have a lto of potential as partners. I can just imagine exploring a paper Hyrule alongside an octorok, leever, skulltula, end so on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
3rd big star obtained....the boss fight was so easy, I didn't even take any damage & got a perfect bonus.

How much longer until I can go to that Green Plant place?

Kinsei

Banned
3rd big star obtained....the boss fight was so easy, I didn't even take any damage & got a perfect bonus.

How much longer until I can go to that Green Plant place?

Quite a while. It's
two stages before the final big star.

Bog

Junior Ace
The insta-death section in the excavation site is fucking obnoxious. Way to insta-ruin a good area by sending you to the TITLE SCREEN. I've been playing a few hours, and now I just want to quit for the night. Idiotic.

Kinsei

Banned
Does anyone use enemy cards?
(in particular the Koopa Kid cards you get from Roshambo)?
Or is it worth just donating them?

I didn't use them. koopas and buzzy beetles are useful early on since they hit every enemy on the ground but they get outclassed very quickly. I imagine that the cards you're talking about in your spoiler would be useful if they didn't run away when you are fighting a boss but they do so I'd say they are worthless.

Timeaisis

The
pirate ship level
was awful, awful, awful.

There's a lot of stupid nitpicks I have with this game. I wish they cut the bad stuff out.

Cobalt was really fun. Loved the
MGS fallout.

I didn't use them. koopas and buzzy beetles are useful early on since they hit every enemy on the ground but they get outclassed very quickly. I imagine that the cards you're talking about in your spoiler would be useful if they didn't run away when you are fighting a boss but they do so I'd say they are worthless.

Thank you! Really wanted more room in my inventory, and these enemy cards are just hoggin' up too much damn space.

Top Bottom