• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash Review Thread

I'll pick it up later, no way im paying $60 for a Paper Mario with little to none RPG elements, ive made that mistake before.

Can't you get it somewhere else cheaper? I'm from Europe and most prices in my country vary from 39 to 45 euros. Most time it's more expensive here than in the us.

Toxi

Banned
Reviewers liked Sticker Star decently enough. Color Splash is a better Sticker Star. So this is what I expected.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
My review: Wiitalia 8/10

"Un titolo così curato, infatti, che non stanca nemmeno dopo parecchie ore di gioco, con il carisma estetico e dialettico qui mostrato, potrebbe presumibilmente offrire un vero capolavoro qualora avesse il coraggio di essere realmente se stesso."

"Such a well crafted game entertains for many hours thanks to its aesthetic charisma and its great dialuges, and could be even more near to the masterpiece aura if more brave in offering a true adventure experience, getting rid of the rpg elements of the past, being its true self"

Seems like I'll be buying it this month, instead of waiting for it to become a "selects". I'm glad it's turned out well.

Still sucks about the lack of original characters.

So we're Back to SPM levels. Which means Paper Mario's Fine. The Lack of original character designs beyond huey is disappointing, but the memorable experience of the characters in each stage exudes charisma from every seam.

OmegaFax

I'm a little surprised by the reviews. I think Nintendo holding the embargo up until two days before its NA release is telling that they didn't know which way reviews would go.

To the game's benefit, the developers did tweak things to make them better than Sticker Star. You have more inventory space for attack cards from the start and it looks way nicer, and plays well enough on the gamepad only.

I personally haven't been that motivated to come back to the game after the first boss fight. I'll probably finish it before the end of the year. It's still Sticker Star with better art direction.

Edit: Yes, it's 720p. The opening cutscene for the game is encoded at 720p@30 to maintain consistency with the game itself. It looks way better scaled to the GamePad but won't blow you away on a TV (personal option).

TimmiT

Well it'd be good to read the content of the reviews and watch some gameplay footage. There should be plenty enough out there to make an informed decision.
I did for Sticker Star as well. I'm not just looking at the scores, but in the case of Sticker Star a lot of the bad was a lot more bothersome than reviews made it out to be. Going by the reviews and footage I didn't expect battles to be as tedious and pointless as they are.

AdanVC

Now I don't know if I should wait till this game get's a price drop like Star Fox Zero did. Especially since newly released games here in Mexico are at around 80 bucks and this one is no exception...

Happy to see it doing well. I love the series (even Sticker Star) and I love the Wii U library, both were due for some critical acclaim.

Yukinari

Pretty much what i anticipated.

The game is a polished sticker star. Theres no way it was gonna review worse especially considering the visuals and music.

...well damn :( Handhelds are another thing, but 60fps should really be standard for console Mario games these days.
Most console Mario games are 60fps but Color Splash can be pretty demanding and the drops only occur in intense moments. The engine can handle like 50+ models on screen without any noticeable drops and the lighting effects are insanely good, I noticed the clouds cast shadows which slowly moves in real time.

There's one sequence full of hundreds of bob-ombs where the frame rate plummets but it's for mere moments.

The frame rate is solid most of the time.

Apparently the battle system, while not great, is no longer useless this time around since it helps you upgrade your hammer, recharge your colour meters and even get you cards that you can't get outside of battle. That alone is a massive improvement over Sticker Star from what I can tell.

The Dutch site InsideGamer gave it a 6.5.

The biggest criticism they have is the useless combat and the fact that the game recycles levels and characters a lot.

Everybody is a toad basically which is really disappointing but also kinda expected seeing the direction the series has been going in.

Don't mean to be rude but InsideGamer 'died' long ago. Imo...Site is pretty meh nowadays

Well, having read reviews in more detail the consensus seems to be the combat is too simplistic and a bit of a chore. This is countered by the excellent writing, humor and presentation.
Don't know if I'm still interested in this game. The core gameplay mechanics are a big deal in a long game like this. If it gets too tiresome, the game may suffer and knowing how impatient I am with games that drag on for too long (unless they are amazing games of course), I will probably stop playing the game at some point.
Suppose I'll have to wait for the gaf consensus a few months after release.

Except that's exactly what they did and people still complained.
Star Fox Adventures, Assault and Command were just like the first two games ?_?

The point was that for ~10 years, Most games in the series were different from the first two games, just like what's happening to Paper Mario now.

Kinsei

Banned
Seems to be a big step up from Sticker Star.

I don't see why the feel the need to shoe horn combat in there. If they want to make PM an adventure game then they should go all out and remove combat. The boss fights can just be more elaborate puzzles. I also don't see why everyone has to be Toads. Even if IS is forced to only use preexisting Mario characters then they could use Piantas, Nokis, Beans, etc.

NotLiquid

Pretty much what i anticipated.

The game is a polished sticker star. Theres no way it was gonna review worse especially considering the visuals and music.

Plenty of games end up being looked back upon a bit more critically and I don't think Sticker Star is an exception. Even though a game might be technically superior it doesn't mean that people won't be more harsher on a subsequent game. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze for example, a game most fans would agree is vastly superior to Returns, was less well received than Returns.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It's still not a Paper Mario that should have been made.

Paper Mario is an RPG series. Period.

George W Bush is president. Period.

I need to finish the game but I've liked it quite a bit so far. Probably nearing the 10 hour mark but haven't been able to pick it up for a few days.

Here's mine:

Mariocastle.it - 25/30 (8.3/10)
Paper Mario: Color Splash is a new experiment in the Paper Mario series, and this time it's a successful one. It may not be perfect, it may not be what everyone wanted, but it's a fun, creative and polished adventure, with clever writing and imaginative worlds.
Pros and cons:
+ Creative, well designed levels
+ Lots of exploration
+ Fun writing
+ High production values
- Flawed battle system
- Same old enemies and characters
---
GameXplain: Liked-it-a-Lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvc0rUJl41Y

Ultimately, Color Splash is the sequel to Sticker Star I never knew I wanted. It largely fixes the biggest problems of the original, while adding in the one thing it was missing completely: Heart. Color Splash is a whimsical and enchanting experience from beginning to end that, despite its obvious differences, brought back memories of the Thousand Year Door more than just a time or two, in terms of scope, charm, and sense of adventure.
Couldn't agree more.

Oh, shit, I'm hyped. Never played SS, and based on the backlash, completely ignored this game's existence up until now. So now I'm hyped and completely unspoiled. Nice!

Edit: Oof, just read Jeremy Parish's breakdown of the battle system over on USGamer, and it sounds like the opposite of fun...

Mory Dunz

Yeah? None of those reviews seem to be calling it fantastic, aside from maybe one.

maybe the rating it's fantastic to him? Maybe reading reviews makes him want to buy it? I don't know
It's literally just a one word post.
Why you went after it with no details is weird.

Man, after this week's bombcast, I was expecting the overall score to be lower. Dan fucking hated the game, and from how he described it, I totally understand.

Yukinari

Plenty of games end up being looked back upon a bit more critically and I don't think Sticker Star is an exception. Even though a game might be technically superior it doesn't mean that people won't be more harsher on a subsequent game. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze for example, a game most fans would agree is vastly superior to Returns, was less well received than Returns.

DKCTF reviewed worse than DKCR which is laughable but still.

EDIT: Beaten.

Tropical Freeze is an insanely hard platformer.

Color Splash is a light adventure game.

Kinda easy to see why one got lambasted and another didnt. Gamespot's review for TF is laughable.

Mory Dunz

I ind of wonder how Paper Jam reviews compare to CS. As in, the content. Too busy to read all that now.

There's actually some similarities so curious how it was viewed.

Vastly superior is quite a stretch. Returns was a GREAT game. That's one of the reasons why people were so disappointed with Tropical Freeze. It didn't "need" a sequel because it was so good.

Top Bottom