• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper 2 |OT| My Buns Are Very Toasty!

kevin1025

Banned
Speaking of the discount, I noticed that it doesn't list an end time for it on the store (unlike, say, the Holiday Sale discounts or the FF7 discount, both of which were clearly marked). Maybe there will be permanent Plus discounts for PS2 games?

My guess is that it's because it's a first-party PS2 game. So hopefully those ones get discounts every time.

Camjo-Z

I had fun with this, but it's interesting to see how the games landscape has changed since it was released. This would definitely be a $15 or $20 downloadable title if this came out new today.

Yeah, it certainly wasn't released in the proper gaming climate. $50 for this is a rip-off, but as a $10 digital download it's a much better proposition.

Speaking of the discount, I noticed that it doesn't list an end time for it on the store (unlike, say, the Holiday Sale discounts or the FF7 discount, both of which were clearly marked). Maybe there will be permanent Plus discounts for PS2 games?

It's a timed discount, unfortunately.

c1403266b97296958d8d8679f9e105e3.png

Sorry for the late response, but thanks to Camjo-Z for the PSN credit and for doing the contest in the first place. I figured there wouldn't be a lot of people answering, but 12 people total is pretty crazy. You picked some impressively esoteric shit for the questions.

Anyway, I'll have to hook up my PS4 and let you guys know my impressions. It's been over a decade since I last played it.

Playing this game for the first time in ages,
and man stage 3 might be my favourite parappa song along with the flea market from the first game

dickroach

so I don't have a PS4 but my roommate does. if I buy this can I just log onto my account on his system and download it or what?

loved PaRappa1 and Um Jammer Lammy; never played this.

so I don't have a PS4 but my roommate does. if I buy this can I just log onto my account on his system and download it or what?

loved PaRappa1 and Um Jammer Lammy; never played this.
Yes if you buy it on your own account but when you get your own ps4 you will have to reset the license to your new console

Rated-G

Finally got to start playing. This feels great! I'm so used to having to compensate for the input lag from playing the three games on the PS3 or from the weird timing of the PSP port of the first game, so it's taking a bit to readjust myself.

I'm streaming HERE (mic free) for anyone interested or curious. It's an initial playthrough, but I had already done the first two stages so I'll redo them in stream. I'll at least go through all 8 stages.

I started the game about an hour ago and got done with it fifteen minutes ago. There doesn't seem to be any input issues, but it's hard to tell because the game's so much easier than the other two in the series. I was rappin' bad maybe twice the entire time, which is good because the "getting better" and "getting worse" stuff really does a good job of ruining the entire flow of the gameplay.

Also, I forgot how downright lame the story is. Parappa 1 and UJL ride a fine line between charming and cornball, but Parappa 2 feels phoned in and cheesy, as if it was an episode of a cartoon that's on season 20. The Noodle Syndicate stuff is just stupid.

That being said, the Guru Ant and Octopus Hairdresser songs are some of the best shit in the series.

Moraizen

Just wondering about some small details...

Not sure if people are familiar with the changes between the European, Japanese and US versions, but if not here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmFjboRXuog

In this particular case (which still happens in the US PS4 version) the censored bits are really small and meaningless, so they don't bother me much, but I was wondering about that little typo in the subtitles at minute 1:17 and 1:22, where the word "man" is missing. Can someone with the NTSC (US) version confirm if that was corrected?

I'm on the fence about buying the PAL version because of the crappy PS4 conversions we got so far with Dark Cloud and the rest, but if someone in Europe assures me that we got a nice one this time, I'll probably throw some moneys at it. Otherwise, NTSC it is.

Also, I guess this is a way to discover if they actually correct little bugs in these conversions or they release them completely unchanged.

Neff

I'm on the fence about buying the PAL version because of the crappy PS4 conversions we got so far with Dark Cloud and the rest, but if someone in Europe assures me that we got a nice one this time, I'll probably throw some moneys at it. Otherwise, NTSC it is.

Also, I guess this is a way to discover if they actually correct little bugs in these conversions or they release them completely unchanged.

I wouldn't even risk it. If PS4's approach to brute-forcing 50hz games through a 60hz 'bottleneck' is the same as Wii U's VC (which results in ugly duplicated frames and delayed/missed inputs as a result), then it's going to make this kind of game a nightmare.

I went with the US version just to be safe and it's fine.

Finished the game on my first try so my fears of being too old and lacking the rhythm of my younger days are gone.

That being said, every song is plain terrible compared to number 1. They make even less sense, some barely rhyme and flow and the lyrics and beats are extremely forgettable.

Great price though for some quick fun and nostalgia.

paulogy

Is it just me, or is the upscale on these graphics looking a whole lot better than expected? Makes me wonder if they're actually modifying game assets, not just performing post-processing.

Is it just me, or is the upscale on these graphics looking a whole lot better than expected? Makes me wonder if they're actually modifying game assets, not just performing post-processing.

You'd be surprised how many PS2 games look ridicilously good with emulation.

KalBalboa

Banned
The PS4's emulator for PS2 games seemingly only enhances resolution, frame rate, and polygonal visuals. 2D assets don't see any improvement, if Digital Foundry is to be believed.

It makes Parappa 2 an interesting case study.

5taquitos

The PS4's emulator for PS2 games seemingly only enhances resolution, frame rate, and polygonal visuals. 2D assets don't see any improvement, if Digital Foundry is to be believed.

It makes Parappa 2 an interesting case study.

Yeah, the title cards and other 2D assets are still quite blurry, but the 3D stuff is noticeably crisper.

I cannot get Cool on anything other than Big (Stage 3). Got my pink hat tonight.

Hint for new players: On Stage 8, pay attention when "Say Ho" comes on. Screwed me up big time.

Got a full playthrough on my YT channel if curious.

KalBalboa

Banned
Seeking Parappa advice from anyone who knows this games:

Other than just trying to match the controller symbols to the timeline as it plays out, can I do anything else to gain "points" or perform better? I've heard people talk about free-styling and looked through the manual but I don't feel like I have a firm grasp of how Parappa handles that kind of thing.

Camjo-Z

Seeking Parappa advice from anyone who knows this games:

Other than just trying to match the controller symbols to the timeline as it plays out, can I do anything else to gain "points" or perform better? I've heard people talk about free-styling and looked through the manual but I don't feel like I have a firm grasp of how Parappa handles that kind of thing.

Any recommendations on getting a "Cool" rating other than mashing buttons?

Admittedly, the one aspect of PaRappa 2 I have never been able to get a handle on is Cool Mode. I can easily do it in PaRappa 1 and I managed it on Lammy with some practice, but in this game it has always eluded me in all but a couple stages. I plan on actually making an attempt this time around though, and here's a quote from GameFAQS on how to do it properly. If I find a better way I'll be sure to mention it here.

The easiest way to freestyle is to press a button multiple times
more than needed, while following the beat. It's kind of hard to explain,
so here are some examples:

(Example 1: Basic Freestyling)
Let's say something like this comes up on the Rhythm Bar:

O - - - O - - - O - O - O - O -

You could try something like this:

O O O - O O O - O O O O O O O O

See? All you have to do is follow the song's beat and press the button
along with it. DON'T just jam the buttons randomly at any pace or
you're to drop to AWFUL in no time. Get it? Got it? Good!

(Example 2: Squeezing In More Notes)
Here's something a little more complex:

A - O - - - X - - -

And here's some freestyling that could take its place:

A A A - O O O X X -

Unlike in PaRappa 1 or UJL, since there are two rhythm bars in the interface
box, and the teacher goes through the top rhythm bar, you can't play before
Parappa's face icon goes over the bottom rhythm bar for a higher score, making
it more difficult to squeeze in more notes. I'm not sure about it, but I'm
quite positive. But anyway...

(Example 3: Less Can Be More)
Okay, sometimes lines with huge amounts of notes that can be tricky
to play at a decent pace. These kind of lines are just BEGGING to
be freestyled. Take a look at this line:

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A

Now pressing the A Button that quickly for that long can throw
off your timing or wear you out. Instead of trying to hit EVERY
beat there, try leaving some out, like this:

A - A - A - A - A - A - A A A A

Now the freestyled verse not only gives you more time to think
between beat and lets you hit them more dead-on, it scores you
more points for originality!

Finished the game on my first try so my fears of being too old and lacking the rhythm of my younger days are gone.

That being said, every song is plain terrible compared to number 1. They make even less sense, some barely rhyme and flow and the lyrics and beats are extremely forgettable.

I think when people say "the music isn't as memorable as the first game", it's important to remember that PaRappa 1 literally had static 4-second loops for music, with maybe another 4 second loop for the bridge between lessons, all using loud and bombastic instruments. When you hear something like that over and over, it's no surprise that it becomes an ear worm.

If you listen to something like Romantic Love's instrumental you can hear how much more effort there was into creating an interesting song. Even though there's still a repeating 4-second loop throughout the rap parts of the song, during every "lesson" they change at least one element up to make it sound more dynamic, and it's not afraid to go for a bit of a smoother and more subtle sound than the in-your-face beats of the first game. This is why I like PaRappa 2's music better.

I will agree with you to some degree on the lyrics though, there are definitely more non-sequiturs than I would have liked and Sista Moosesha's stage loses all focus at the end arguing about where stuff is. But overall I think it still has just as many classic lines as the first game. I actually had trouble picking just one for the OT title. In the end I decided to use an incidental lyric close to the beginning of the game to avoid spoiling anyone on some really good lines, I was really tempted to use "I can eat anything... but cheese". My other choice would have been "I'M A TAXPAYER!".

I'm on the sixth mission, which I got to wth no game overs, and it keeps dropping me to 'bad' even when I get what appears to be a perfect run of button presses. Am I misunderstanding the game or something?

I'm on the sixth mission, which I got to wth no game overs, and it keeps dropping me to 'bad' even when I get what appears to be a perfect run of button presses. Am I misunderstanding the game or something?

The game judges more than just timing, it also judges style so if you think you are getting it right every time, try adding more buttons in-between the dead air.

The game judges more than just timing, it also judges style so if you think you are getting it right every time, try adding more buttons in-between the dead air.

Ah ok. So as long as you press the correct buttons when required, you are free to do as you please with the free space?

Glad I got to play this - it's one of those titles i've always been curious about. Reminds me of Warioware, another game series I can't help but enjoy whenever I have a go.

Am I supposed to hit the buttons during the top segment or just the bottom for parappa's? Game a little confusing.

Also it seems to judge pretty harshly for slight misses either late or early:/

Oh, and is there a way to pause during a song without having to restart or exit the level?

Deft Beck

Am I supposed to hit the buttons during the top segment or just the bottom for parappa's? Game a little confusing.

Oh, and is there a way to pause during a song without having to restart or exit the level?

Both segments.

No way to pause the stages without having to restart. Blame early PS2 game streaming audio limitations.

Deft Beck

Parappa 2 is very inconsistent. Um Jammer Lammy is phenomenal.

I started the game about an hour ago and got done with it fifteen minutes ago. There doesn't seem to be any input issues, but it's hard to tell because the game's so much easier than the other two in the series. I was rappin' bad maybe twice the entire time, which is good because the "getting better" and "getting worse" stuff really does a good job of ruining the entire flow of the gameplay.

Also, I forgot how downright lame the story is. Parappa 1 and UJL ride a fine line between charming and cornball, but Parappa 2 feels phoned in and cheesy, as if it was an episode of a cartoon that's on season 20. The Noodle Syndicate stuff is just stupid.

That being said, the Guru Ant and Octopus Hairdresser songs are some of the best shit in the series.

Parappa 2 has a lot of flow issues, between the Boxy Boy tutorials and the GETTING BETTER parts.

Lammy's story is just insane, and beats the really strung-out story of Parappa 2. Parappa 2 still has a lot of great gags, though.

I think Big is one of the best songs in the series, next to Parappa's version of Vital Idol.

Camjo-Z

Not sure exactly what you mean but if you're asking what I think you're asking, you don't have to press buttons when the master is rapping. It's like Simon Says, they say something and then you repeat it back.

The game doesn't have a pause feature, but luckily thanks to being on PS4 you can press the PS button and it works as a pause button.

I think Big is one of the best songs in the series, next to Parappa's version of Vital Idol.

Ha, I think PaRappa's Vital Idol is the worst song in the series. Goes to show just how wildly tastes can vary!

FaintDeftone

I never got a chance to play Parappa 2 but I loved the original and Unjammer Lammy. I may grab this now that I know input lag isn't an issue.

Ha, I think PaRappa's Vital Idol is the worst song in the series. Goes to show just how wildly tastes can vary!

I mean, musically, it's a pretty all right song, but I hate, hate, hate that Teriyaki Yoko level. When I found out that the original Japanese/European version of the game had that level set in hell, it made perfect sense, because it always felt like hell for me to play...

I 100%ed Lammy on my PS1 ages ago, but I'm still stuck on the Lammy version of Vital Idol on my PSP today.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, I can't get it to even try to move to Cool on Stage 1. I was able to just barely pass Vs. Mode on the hardest setting. Also noticed I can't do that thing where you hold left or right on the d-pad.

I also forgot how catchy the loading screen was.

Drippy

So I finished this game 4 times with different hats, but still don't get it how to launch cool mode. I tried to push some buttons to the rhythm between displayed ones but it doesn't work for me. Overall, it was a really fun game although the story is very dumb.

I've never been able to get Cool in Parappa 2. It is the hardest game to get Cool in I think. It's easiest in Lammy, though. You'll often get it just by accident in that game...

(Also, IMO Vital Idol Lammy is the absolute best in the series, but Vital Idol Parappa is the absolute worst. But funny enough, there's a remix soundtrack called "Milkcan: Make It Sweet!" that somehow manages to butcher the Lammy version and makes the Parappa version sound awesome...)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn it, I finally got it to hit Cool, but I didn't last long.....It's a pain trying to reach it, but even harder to stay in it.

Oh freakin' hell, I got a Cool on my first Stage 4 attempt, but didn't even last 2 verses.

Also, how do I get 40 hits in that mini-game? How do I even get it? Seems rather random.

Top Bottom