• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper 2 |OT| My Buns Are Very Toasty!

Akibared

Damn it, I finally got it to hit Cool, but I didn't last long.....It's a pain trying to reach it, but even harder to stay in it.

Oh freakin' hell, I got a Cool on my first Stage 4 attempt, but didn't even last 2 verses.

Also, how do I get 40 hits in that mini-game? How do I even get it? Seems rather random.

What do I need to do during cool? As for the 40 hits that was pretty easy just waiting for them to say "hi-ya" and then hit the button.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I haven't figured out the exact methods for getting Cool. I just add extra notes & try to add rhythm to open spots. It's even more confusing figuring out how to STAY in Cool.

Got the 40 hits last time, now on the final stage.

Camjo-Z

I've managed to get Cool 3 times so far, though every time I've done it I followed the master's timing exactly with no changes... very weird.

Also, I recommend not bothering to go for Cool until you've unlocked the yellow hat, because unless you beat a stage with that hat on Cool mode the record shop won't unlock that stage's music, which is required if you want the final trophy.

Another trophy hint: you have to beat Vs. Mode on every difficulty if you want the last record, so if you're having trouble with it try following the current beat exactly as you're supposed to rather than attempting to freestyle. You won't lose or gain points if you do it correctly, and the CPU will tend to mess up its improv often enough that you'll win by default.

What do I need to do during cool?

You just have to press the buttons in a rhythmic fashion, and you don't have to worry about timing your presses out to make him say full sentences (although it sounds cooler that way).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Do I have to do Vs. Mode with the Yellow hat as well? & does it HAVE to be EVERY difficulty? I just jumped right to level 4 on Stage 1 after beating it for the first time since I read about having to do all the Vs. Mode stages on the hardest diff. to unlock the final record.

Camjo-Z

Do I have to do Vs. Mode with the Yellow hat as well? & does it HAVE to be EVERY difficulty? I just jumped right to level 4 on Stage 1 after beating it for the first time since I read about having to do all the Vs. Mode stages on the hardest diff. to unlock the final record.

I don't think it matters for Vs. Mode. The game doesn't keep track of what hat you have for those, whereas with Cool Mode you can see what difficulty you earned it on by looking at the color of the crown above the stage. If it's not yellow, it won't count towards the record. And yes, you have to beat Vs. Mode on every difficulty, I tried beating them all only on the easiest setting first and I didn't get the last record.

On a side note, you can swap the hat color once you've unlocked them all by going back to the title screen and moving the right analog stick, but it'll just be a cosmetic change that doesn't affect anything else.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So you can't just beat levels 1 & 4 for each stage? That's a bummer. That's basically 32 vs. battles you gotta deal with....

I was reading on GameFAQs that the final record is unlocked for beating all Vs. Mode battles on diff. 4 and that should be good, don't have to worry about diff. 2 and 3.

Guess I'll just focus on getting the rest of the hats, halfway done with using the blue hat.

Camjo-Z

So you can't just beat levels 1 & 4 for each stage? That's a bummer. That's basically 32 vs. battles you gotta deal with....

I was reading on GameFAQs that the final record is unlocked for beating all Vs. Mode battles on diff. 4 and that should be good, don't have to worry about diff. 2 and 3.

Guess I'll just focus on getting the rest of the hats, halfway done with using the blue hat.

It could just require beating the hardest difficulties only, I haven't tested that. Would certainly be less cumbersome than doing all of them.

The final verse of the final track seems broken to me. I always end up with a 'getting worse' despite hitting the notes at the (apparently) right time. Then I end up in a total mess for the last section, because following the 'getting worse' animation it drops me back into the game with the timelines already scrolled past the first button prompt. It feels bugged.

I finished it on the first difficulty (had the same problem and it felt like a fluke to get through it) but on blue hat I can't get past it. When it comes to the good/bad mechanic it feels completely random to me.

The final verse of the final track seems broken to me. I always end up with a 'getting worse' despite hitting the notes at the (apparently) right time. Then I end up in a total mess for the last section, because following the 'getting worse' animation it drops me back into the game with the timelines already scrolled past the first button prompt. It feels bugged.
The real problem is you have to get the first triangle or it counts as a bad. It is definitely the hardest verse though.

newjeruse

I finished it on the first difficulty (had the same problem and it felt like a fluke to get through it) but on blue hat I can't get past it. When it comes to the good/bad mechanic it feels completely random to me.
The final lesson of the final song is definitely bugged with what you described. Not sure if it was like that in the original game.

IrishNinja

it's the least of the series (PSP port aside), but im happy seeing a PaRappa OT here! one day, Lammy will have one too <3

The real problem is you have to get the first triangle or it counts as a bad. It is definitely the hardest verse though.

Ok, thanks for the tip - i'll give it another crack tomorrow.

I enjoy it for the general wackiness and sense of fun, but as someone who never played the earlier games I don't think it's very good at telling you why you're going wrong. I mean, sometimes it's obvious, but sometimes there appears to be nothing wrong and it hammers you.

Spades

Finished the game last night
for the first ever time
and really enjoyed it. Whilst the songs didn't quite click with me like those in the original did, I thought some were great; especially the last stage!

Quick question regarding hats; I see that I'm now wearing a blue hat but don't have any options to start a new game or anything. Is it just a case of re-runing the 8 levels again with a blue hat on to upgrade to the next hat and get the "Beat the game while wearing the Blue Hat" trophy?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty much. Clear all the stages while wearing the blue hat, you'll get the pink hat, then beat all the stages a THIRD time to get the yellow/gold hat, then beat them all A FOURTH TIME to unlock something else.

I think on the title screen, if you press left or right on one of the analog sticks, you can swap between the hats.

Spades

Pretty much. Clear all the stages while wearing the blue hat, you'll get the pink hat, then beat all the stages a THIRD time to get the yellow/gold hat, then beat them all A FOURTH TIME to unlock something else.

I think on the title screen, if you press left or right on one of the analog sticks, you can swap between the hats.

Awesome, thanks!

Top Bottom