• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patents for Dualshock 5 went up in Japan

Mista

Banned
EJqEzVRX0AEJTz6
EJqFYB8XsAA2t5K

Patents for DualShock 5 went up today in Japan. Here’s what’s noticeable:

- Smaller Sticks
- Larger triggers
- USB port
- No light bar

Last edited:

Fbh

Looks like a Dualshock.

Anyway, said it in another thread but while I fully expect to be disappointed, I still hope that given that this controller doesn't seem to actually add any new buttons they make the Dualshock 4 fully compatible with the Ps5

nowhat

That confirms Sony already has PSVR2's tracking option decided upon.

If there is nothing on the dualshock 5 that allow tracking, it means PSVR2 is going to use the equivalent of current PCVR tech specialized all-in-one hand held motion trackers. Makes sense, if you are going to buy PSVR2, you probably are not trying to save money.
That raises the question though - given that current PSVR will be (supposedly) supported by PS5, does this mean it'll support DS4 too?

xrnzaaas

+1 to fuck the lightbar comments

Making the sticks smaller is a strange decision, the current controller is already pretty small for people with large hands (thankfully I'm not one of them).

That raises the question though - given that current PSVR will be (supposedly) supported by PS5, does this mean it'll support DS4 too?
Yes. It would have to. PS5 is suppose to run all PS4 games, including PSVR1 titles. And that compatibility would require DS4 to be usable.

ghairat

Making the sticks smaller is a strange decision, the current controller is already pretty small for people with large hands (thankfully I'm not one of them).

The Xbox one controller sticks are smaller than the 360. Feels much better

Smaller sticks aren't much of an issue as long as they are made out of decent material and have enough concavity to prevent slipping.

llien

By the way, any word on support (or lack thereof) of move controllers?
I found sports games on PS3 to be lots of fun, still play it with kids occasionally.

June

Untitled-8-768x470.jpg

Interessting.

Ffs. The handles need to be longer, not shorter.
The way the controller is now your palms have no support because of how your thumbs need rest/angle themselves to get a comfortable position on the analogues. Shorter handles only makes this worse.

For anyone who doubts, grab your controller and find the position for your palms to rest. Your thumbs will naturally settle about 2cm above the current analogue sticks position.

Why

They fixed pretty much everything that was wrong with the DS4 (which was pretty solid for the most part)

Because the DS4 has a lot wrong with it. Primiarly due to a mixture of its shape design and analogue stick position which gives no good support for your palms/resting position for your thumbs.

Last edited:
By the way, any word on support (or lack thereof) of move controllers?
I found sports games on PS3 to be lots of fun, still play it with kids occasionally.
Full PSVR1 compatability, meant that Move controllers are automatically supported. But i am not sure about PS3 games being part of BC at this point.

NeilH1982

Banned
Smaller sticks are the last thing Dual shock controllers need. DS4 already feels small, and I have European baby hands. Can't fathom how someone with large hands would use it

The biggest drain wasn't the lightbar though. Probably the touchpad.
Yeah, it is hilarious people are still blaming the light bar. The Touch Pad had to be actively powered at all times unlike regular buttons, as such it uses more power. But people are still blaming the LED light that used hardly any energy.

DonF

lol wtf are all you guys complaining about the lightbar?

it has been proven that disconnecting it doesn't improve battery life, its a very efficient led.
and it emits close to no light! I have it on dim and I've never had problems with it, reflecting on my screen or anything.

Granted I don't play on a super dark room, since I installed a led strip behind my tv for biased lighting.

on topic, looks great, its a dualshock

I hope the ds4 is compatible with the ps5. Since I love my golden, silver and bronce DS4s.

nowhat

Looks neat and all but we literally know more about xbox scarlett than PS5.
We do? Hop over to the leaks thread then and share, because it has been quite devoid of content (outside pure speculation and off-topic discussion) for quite some time now.

Last edited:

wvnative

Disappointed they didn't redesign the Share/Options buttons but other than that happy it ain't too different. Dislike smaller sticks but can work around this with grip covers.

nowhat

Just slap a bit of duct tape over it.
*electrical tape. I have that blocking most of my Pro's status LED bar - I only need to see a bit to find out if it's asleep or awake. Duct tape works of course, but it's really messy to remove/clean off the glue afterwards.

Top Bottom