• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patents for Dualshock 5 went up in Japan

Gargus

Banned
They did exactly what I hoped they would do. Take an already great controller and tweak it to be better like the removal of the light bar, bigger battery, and add in the haptic feedback which even if it turns out I dont like it I can turn it off. I turned off the rumble since it did nothing for me and I saved on battery life.

Dualshock is already my favorite controller and is it fits my hands perfectly and the button layout is comfortable to me. And they last. Only one I ever replaced was the one that came with my ps3 as over 7 or 8 years I wore the thumb pads smooth and the sticks were moving a bit too freely.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
would it kill them too much to add a custom mappable back button?

images

Breakage

The touchpad is the main thing that makes the DualShock 4 look ugly. It's like something is missing in that big rectangle.

Translation: "Sony, feel free to charge me double what PSVR2 is worth if you want to, I'm such a fanboy that I am blessing all your possible consumer abusive practices in advance."

On the real though, I'm concerned that this makes the dualshock5 not backwards compatible with PSVR.
In the PCVR space, dedicated hand and finger tracking device with buttons and touchpad support is the main stream. Sony is likely doing the same for PSVR2.

Videospel

Looks like the same old D-pad, I've never liked it. On DS1-DS3 it was especially awful, you have to press so hard for diagonals.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Hmm. I'm going to wait and see. I'm not sure I like the thicker body. The DS4 nailed it, other than that lightbar.
I'm hoping it's just a render error. The Dual Shock 4 is a great controller where ergonomics are concerned.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
You know you can turn it off in the setting on the PS4 right?
No you can't.

lol wtf are all you guys complaining about the lightbar?

it has been proven that disconnecting it doesn't improve battery life, its a very efficient led.
and it emits close to no light! I have it on dim and I've never had problems with it, reflecting on my screen or anything.
Because it's an annoying, useless piece of garbage that casts glare onto your TV. It wouldn't be bad if there was an option to turn it off, but Sony refused to allow you to do that.

it would be nice to use dualshock 4 for the ps5. i have about 11 in reserve with different colors.

Wait.

$65 x .085% tax x 11 is $775.78

Did you spend almost $800 on controllers?

Last edited:

Videospel

I take it you don't play Tekken?

I tried it on 360 and it was practically impossible to get double-taps right. Give me a traditional D-pad over that any day.
I agree it works for the 4 regular directions. But it's not made for diagonals. Playing for example Crash Bandicoot on PS1 is a pain.

Dory16

Banned
In the PCVR space, dedicated hand and finger tracking device with buttons and touchpad support is the main stream. Sony is likely doing the same for PSVR2.
Doesn't seem to address the issue I was pointing out. If I only own a PS5 (with a PS5 controller), can I play VR on the PSVR1? Apparently not. Let's bear in mind that PSVR2 will only be released long after the PS5 and most likely at a much higher price than PSVR1.

thelastword

Banned
I actually googled about the LED and I was mistaken.
Here in the forum they did some test and effectively the led consumes a lot of power.
Also, the gold standard to me in controllers has to be the switch pro controller. I love that thing. So no fanboyism.
I swear I've never had problems with the DS4 light in a very dark room. But then again, I have it set to dim and the darkest my room get, I still have a led backlight on my tv. No glare whatsoever.
Whatever it is, DS5 is coming with a much bigger battery and better technology, so the charge strength of the new DS will be much improved...…...The best controller just got better in the one area people could criticize: battery life......Somehow, I think there will be more changes/improvements than what we see here....

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
so they've killed the light bar? it'll be PS6 before they ditch that trackpad then that nobody uses.

seriously though. i'm pissed at the symmetrical sticks but the console being overall much larger will be welcome. the DS4 feels too small in my hands.

Rossco EZ

Doesn't seem to address the issue I was pointing out. If I only own a PS5 (with a PS5 controller), can I play VR on the PSVR1? Apparently not. Let's bear in mind that PSVR2 will only be released long after the PS5 and most likely at a much higher price than PSVR1.
could they not have some sort of sensor inside just minus the light bar? that way it would still work with the PSVR, hopefully that’s the case anyway!

FranXico

Yes, PS5 is compatible with PSVR(1)

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
That looks a bit like an xbox controller for some reason.

I love the DS4, would have wished they kept it more like a Playstation controller.

That's what I see instantly, the grips look a lot more xbox like which is a good thing. Thank you for removing the LED. Now just improve the shit battery life.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Remember guys the light bar maybe incorporated into the touch pad.
Don't be fooled

Kdad

Saw this comment over at Ars...anyone know if it is valid:
Finally, the JP application is a design application. The way you read those figures is that Sony is seeking protection for the solid lines. All the dashed lines do is give context. In other words, they’re trying to protect the two microphone openings and a rectangle (of arbitrary length) that wraps around the bottom curved surface of the controller.” That’s... aggressive.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I want ps4 backwards comp controllers. FUCK buying another joystick/drum for the NEW Sony system. (fuck the brook converter)

Top Bottom