• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patents for Dualshock 5 went up in Japan

Pejo

Gold Member
Seems fine. I prefer the DS4, based on the render. I was hoping we'd get LED touchscreen since they got rid of the light bar, but oh well.

The biggest drain wasn't the lightbar though. Probably the touchpad.

I don't see how that is possible. I've tested this. Removing the lightbar entirely from the equation allows for 4-8 more hours of battery life, by itself. I doubt the touch bar competes for juice when compared.
Still, removing the touch bar is something I should either test for myself or read about from other sources.

Evilms

Banned
EJqocy5WkAAmBfG
EJqocyrXsAA7DeZ

Last edited:

Helios13

Neo Member
Yeah, it is hilarious people are still blaming the light bar. The Touch Pad had to be actively powered at all times unlike regular buttons, as such it uses more power. But people are still blaming the LED light that used hardly any energy.
I think many people probably don't realize that this is the case. I know I didn't for a while.

Neofire

Ffs. The handles need to be longer, not shorter.
The way the controller is now your palms have no support because of how your thumbs need rest/angle themselves to get a comfortable position on the analogues. Shorter handles only makes this worse.

For anyone who doubts, grab your controller and find the position for your palms to rest. Your thumbs will naturally settle about 2cm above the current analogue sticks position.

Because the DS4 has a lot wrong with it. Primiarly due to a mixture of its shape design and analogue stick position which gives no good support for your palms/resting position for your thumbs.
This is purely opinion and subjective, there is literally 100 people that think it's design is just fine, not perfect and the Xbox controller is far from perfect if you are basing your metric on what is perfect by.

June

This is purely opinion and subjective, there is literally 100 people that think it's design is just fine, not perfect and the Xbox controller is far from perfect if you are basing your metric on what is perfect by.
Of course it's opinion.

1,000's of people also thought the DualShock 3 was a good controller too. You can't trust people.

Xbone controller's design shape/ergonomics blow the DualShock 4's out the water. Xbone handles fill out the palm of your hands which makes them really comfy and sturdy. It's one of the few things about the Xbone that make me envious, as someone who only owns a PS4.

Oddspeak

I tried to do a size comparison using the d-pad and buttons for scale.

It seems the new one is bigger.

YeUvMXv.jpg

A slightly larger and heavier DualShock would be nice. I like heft in my controllers.

Slightly smaller stick tops is an odd choice, but perhaps made with the increased proportions of everything else in mind.

I wish the Options and Share button placements were changed. I still think their current locations are awkward. I was also in the camp that thought they would change the touchpad into a color touchscreen, but it looks like they put that money into the crazy precise and dynamic haptic feedback.

Lack of a light bar is a change I honestly don't have any strong feelings about. But I'm interested in how it relates to PSVR2.

mortal

Gold Member
Looks heftier, and slightly larger than the DS4. I like that.

I cannot fucking stand that touchpad. It's just a giant button in most games.

Don't like the idea of smaller sticks. Glad the light is gone. Glad to see the touchpad is still there, I like it, albeit I feel like a lot of developers don't use it right. Also, I wish the button aspect of the touchpad would have corner based clicks as well.
And lastly, I don't see any support near the triggers to prevent them from being pushed in when putting the controller down.

Reactions: Isa

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
lol wtf are all you guys complaining about the lightbar?

it has been proven that disconnecting it doesn't improve battery life, its a very efficient led.
and it emits close to no light! I have it on dim and I've never had problems with it, reflecting on my screen or anything.

Granted I don't play on a super dark room, since I installed a led strip behind my tv for biased lighting.

on topic, looks great, its a dualshock

I hope the ds4 is compatible with the ps5. Since I love my golden, silver and bronce DS4s.
i never understand fanboys.
you must be married to your console

Xbone controller's design shape/ergonomics blow the DualShock 4's out the water. Xbone handles fill out the palm of your hands which makes them really comfy and sturdy. It's one of the few things about the Xbone that make me envious, as someone who only owns a PS4.
For me the Xbone controler is unergonomic they way you need to grip it is weird. DS4 just feels natural, place it in your palms and your wrists are in perfect angle and you don't need any effort gripping it also the placing of sticks and buttons are better. (Haven't tried elite)

Nice that DS5 stays true to DS legacy, size increase doesn't look that bad.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I really want asymmetric analogue sticks from an official Sony controller.

It feels like the Duel shock controller is only like what it is because of tradition. It's very similar to the PS1 version in terms of layout.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

June

For me the Xbone controler is unergonomic they way you need to grip it is weird. DS4 just feels natural, place it in your palms and your wrists are in perfect angle and you don't need any effort gripping it also the placing of sticks and buttons are better. (Haven't tried elite)

I completely disagree.

Xbone I wouldn't classify as I have to grip it. It just fits into my hands/palms.

DS4 controller however I do have to grip because it doesn't rest in my palms - it rests on my fingers because I have to hold it in such a way that my thumbs can rest at a more vertical angle on the sticks, for better control of the sticks. If I want to actually be good and accurate in games I need my thumbs coming in at more of a vertical angle to gain that control. But then it applies pressure on fingers for the grip and puts my wrist at a weird angle. It gives my left wrist in particular minor pain.

If youre holding the DS4 in such a way that it's resting perfectly in your palms then youre thumbs are most likely coming onto the sticks at a more horizontal angle which effects your control and precision.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
And here I was hoping for something completely different from the not so good at all DS4.

I wonder if the Nacon Unlimited will work with PS5...

DonF

i never understand fanboys.
you must be married to your console
I actually googled about the LED and I was mistaken.
Here in the forum they did some test and effectively the led consumes a lot of power.
Also, the gold standard to me in controllers has to be the switch pro controller. I love that thing. So no fanboyism.
I swear I've never had problems with the DS4 light in a very dark room. But then again, I have it set to dim and the darkest my room get, I still have a led backlight on my tv. No glare whatsoever.

jts

...hate me...
Wouldn't mind it if Sony came up with a DS Pro controller with the left stick on the main neutral position.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That confirms Sony already has PSVR2's tracking option decided upon.

If there is nothing on the dualshock 5 that allow tracking, it means PSVR2 is going to use the equivalent of current PCVR tech specialized all-in-one hand held motion trackers. Makes sense, if you are going to buy PSVR2, you probably are not trying to save money.

VERY smart point!

I completely disagree.

Xbone I wouldn't classify as I have to grip it. It just fits into my hands/palms.

DS4 controller however I do have to grip because it doesn't rest in my palms - it rests on my fingers because I have to hold it in such a way that my thumbs can rest at a more vertical angle on the sticks, for better control of the sticks. If I want to actually be good and accurate in games I need my thumbs coming in at more of a vertical angle to gain that control. But then it applies pressure on fingers for the grip and puts my wrist at a weird angle. It gives my left wrist in particular minor pain.

If youre holding the DS4 in such a way that it's resting perfectly in your palms then youre thumbs are most likely coming onto the sticks at a more horizontal angle which effects your control and precision.
Different strokes for different folks.

I hold DS4 in my palms I don't need to grip it at all, it just rests on nameless and pinkie finger that are under the trigger grooves.
I have symmetrical 45 degree angle to both sticks, exact the same control range on both sticks and both wrists are in natural angle. Perfect ergonomy for me.

Seems like they are improving the triggers and making them bigger on DS5, so it could be even better for me.

That looks a bit like an xbox controller for some reason.

I love the DS4, would have wished they kept it more like a Playstation controller.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Makes sense, if you are going to buy PSVR2, you probably are not trying to save money.

Translation: "Sony, feel free to charge me double what PSVR2 is worth if you want to, I'm such a fanboy that I am blessing all your possible consumer abusive practices in advance."

On the real though, I'm concerned that this makes the dualshock5 not backwards compatible with PSVR.

June

Different strokes for different folks.

I hold DS4 in my palms I don't need to grip it at all, it just rests on nameless and pinkie finger that are under the trigger grooves.
I have symmetrical 45 degree angle to both sticks, exact the same control range on both sticks and both wrists are in natural angle. Perfect ergonomy for me.

Seems like they are improving the triggers and making them bigger on DS5, so it could be even better for me.

Different strokes for sure.

Are you good/accurate in online FPSs, out of interest?

Top Bottom