• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Cracklox

Thinking about trying to get back into this after putting 70 or so hours on it a while back. I think I made it to the start of the 3rd difficulty, and remember clearing the labyrinth on the second difficulty was harder then anything else I came across

Anyway, whats the go with the coming changes? They're due in a few weeks from what I can ascertain. Is it worth just waiting for those?

Gothos

Yep, just wait fot 3.0 imho. There also will be a new 2 week race before the launch so you may jump into that too before Oriath hits live servers.

Cracklox

Yep, just wait fot 3.0 imho. There also will be a new 2 week race before the launch so you may jump into that too before Oriath hits live servers.

Ha. Too late. I went ahead and reinstalled. Figured it might be a good time to re-familiarize with the game, and actually complete a full run through before new seasons and all the changes etc. I was further along in the 3rd difficulty then I remembered too, though I still have to beat that 2nd lab. Also having to reallocate 90 odd passive points when I logged in was a little annoying.

Whats the 2 week race? Like a short season or something?

Ha. Too late. I went ahead and reinstalled. Figured it might be a good time to re-familiarize with the game, and actually complete a full run through before new seasons and all the changes etc. I was further along in the 3rd difficulty then I remembered too, though I still have to beat that 2nd lab. Also having to reallocate 90 odd passive points when I logged in was a little annoying.

Whats the 2 week race? Like a short season or something?

Essentially a 2 week league. Last one was mayhem and it was pretty fun. Random rotating zones that had either 20 strongboxes, invasion bosses, tormented spirits, or 10 breaches.

Don't know what the modifiers will be like for the next two weeks race.

Completed A8, my impressions from beta wave 2

- Labs are better, at least normal/cruel. 50% shorter, Izaro difficulty is the same as before from what I can see. Merc lab is normal length again.
- Skill point rewards from quests are spread out well, you feel like you are constantly getting them when leveling
- A8 is fun. IMO the new area
Lunaris Temple
is the most beautiful area in PoE.
- A8 optional boss
god "Yugul"
is much harder than anything before maps. I like it.
So so many tracking orbs.
- No threshold jewels anywhere, at least I couldn't find them. A bummer, they still are 100% purely drops.

Completed A8, my impressions from beta wave 2

- Labs are better, at least normal/cruel. 50% shorter, Izaro difficulty is the same as before from what I can see. Merc lab is normal length again.
- Skill point rewards from quests are spread out well, you feel like you are constantly getting them when leveling
- A8 is fun. IMO the new area
Lunaris Temple
is the most beautiful area in PoE.
- A8 optional boss
god "Yugul"
is much harder than anything before maps. I like it.
So so many tracking orbs.
- No threshold jewels anywhere, at least I couldn't find them. A bummer, they still are 100% purely drops.

I just got in act 8 earlier. Really like what I played so far and I'm glad GGG is making the bosses mechanically difficult in the story.

At 56 and am doing 10k dmg per totem with my facebreaker with really crap gear and a 5L. Have none of the other uniques I want and am missing out on a ton of flat phys that I need.

All these balance changes are interesting. Wonder how they will work out by the time 3.0 goes live. Tons of kneejerk reactions on reddit and forums.

You can't really judge all these changes in a vacuum as there are so many moving pieces in skill balance in this game. Not saying that GGG is good at balancing....

All these balance changes are interesting. Wonder how they will work out by the time 3.0 goes live. Tons of kneejerk reactions on reddit and forums.

You can't really judge all these changes in a vacuum as there are so many moving pieces in skill balance in this game. Not saying that GGG is good at balancing....

And there's most likely a lot of stuff that hasn't been added, or changed yet. So we only have one piece of the balance changes.

Finally beat act 8 the
Solaris fight with the changing night and day mechanics was a ton of fun, but the fight was really easy
and
Yugul wasn't too bad on my Ancestral Warchief build but that fight is going to be incredibly difficult if you're melee
. All in all Act 8 was really good can't wait to see what act 9 and 10 look like.

From beta report it sounded like they are focusing on getting out all relevant content for beta first, and only then doing major balancing.

Also MTX patch is scheduled for next week!

I'm trying out just how tanky I can get my zombies to be. During legacy I experimented a bit with it and I got them to be able tank Atziri (normal). But I never optimized them and then I switched back to SRS. With a proper shield (necromantic aegis) and jewel + gem setup I think I can do much better this time.

Also seeing how hybrid life/es works since I was CI in legacy. Also gotta try if ruthless support works with srs or not. Should since things like multistrike and melee splash work.. but SRS doesn't really stun now does it?

Yeah they get stuck in walls and stuff. Convocation is a must. I have Cast-on-damage-taken+immortal call+convocation link and it works well for me. Zombies pop up and tank for me whenever I take damage.

Golem AI was "fixed" with the unique jewel which IMO means they are not planning major changes for 3.0 at least. Seems like a low priority atm. Maybe when they get to making sure specters persist trough logout.

That does help although I think it's a waste of slots. I wish convocation didn't have an 8 second cool down so it can be used more often on its own.

Cracklox

So I've just been mucking around with some low tier maps for the first time and I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Is there meant to be something to say you've completed one? Like a notification or a portal back to town or something? I got the achievement for a full clear of one, but other then that there was nothing to say that I was done, and you obviously only get that once. I know they have bosses, but with the ones I've tried at least, you don't always get to them last.

Or is it just a case of run around and beat stuff up until you've had enough and TP out?

There is no "YOU COMPLETED THE MAP" -sign. But completing map basically means killing everything in it so:

1) Clear most or all mobs. Personally I try to clear until there is 20 or less monsters left. You can see this in upper right corner of screen when map is open.
2) Kill boss. Usually boss has its own arena area you click to enter, but not always. Some maps have more than 1 boss. Especially on HC people like to skip some bosses that are more trouble than they are worth.

Best "you have completed a map" -checkbox is getting the atlas bonus for it I guess. Check atlas for conditions for bonus by hovering over maps.

Cracklox

There is no "YOU COMPLETED THE MAP" -sign. But completing map basically means killing everything in it so:

1) Clear most or all mobs. Personally I try to clear until there is 20 or less monsters left. You can see this in upper right corner of screen when map is open.
2) Kill boss. Usually boss has its own arena area you click to enter, but not always. Some maps have more than 1 boss. Especially on HC people like to skip some bosses that are more trouble than they are worth.

Best "you have completed a map" -checkbox is getting the atlas bonus for it I guess. Check atlas for conditions for bonus by hovering over maps.

Cheers.

Wasn't aware of the bolded. I'll def keep an eye on that from now on. And yeah I noticed those bonuses since I asked and have gone about knocking one or two off.

They're all required to have a shot at an uber boss or something right? I saw it on the wiki before, but I think I'm a long way off having to worry about that just now so I didn't divulge too much of it. Something about 4 keys you get for completing the bonuses in each section open up access to it

Bonus is the % chance that the maps that drop will be upgraded to a higher tier one. You don't need the bonus to get to "Shaper". The 4 key items are from 4 different guardians that are in T16 maps. Bonus helps getting there because higher tier maps don't really have a very high drop chance so getting that T15 map drop upgraded to T16 via bonus is a valuable thing.

Or instead of getting that bonus, you can just farm money your preferred way and buy the maps from poe.trade. Google some atlas guides if you want to go powergamer route, like only running shaped strand.

Finding Uber trials has been painfully slow. Level 73 or 74. Been mapping since 64. I've found 4 trials. All trial of stinging doubt.

And 820 is just people wanting 5c "tips" for the other trials.

I can't stand uber trials in this game honestly. They need to have a more friendly way of finding them such as showing up in game for hitting a certain tier of map so it is more controlled and people can pay if they want to do it faster.

Last league I didn't find all trials on my own until I was just about level 90.

I can't stand uber trials in this game honestly. They need to have a more friendly way of finding them such as showing up in game for hitting a certain tier of map so it is more controlled and people can pay if they want to do it faster.

Last league I didn't find all trials on my own until I was just about level 90.

Are the trials tied to certain maps (like loot drops) or is it completely random? I totally agree with you that this is a neat and dumb way of gaining access. Both leagues I've done uber, I was always one trial away for a real long time

Are the trials tied to certain maps (like loot drops) or is it completely random? I totally agree with you that this is a neat and dumb way of gaining access. Both leagues I've done uber, I was always one trial away for a real long time

Random I believe. Global 820 is where people will offer their trials of they find them. Supposed to be free with tips allowed. But right now all I've seen is people requiring a 5c "tip" for it. It's ridiculous.

When making an Uber lab farmer like I am this is frustrating.

Cracklox

Whats the best way to handle squishyness issues in this game? I've got a level 69 sab and things die fast enough, but some bosses and the occasional elite wreck my shit, just by looking at me. I'm trying to pump evade and dex, and currently at 57% or so, and have grabbed the dodge passive on the far right of the tree, and am 2 nodes from getting the chance to avoid spell damage one, which I think will help. I'm also pretty sure 1800 hps is not nearly enough. My elemental resists are nearly capped, but chaos is only around 3% and thats with one or two pieces of gear that have it, so I'm not sure how to get more of that

The xp death penalty on merciless is brutal. I can clear a full map, get a decent amount of xp on the way, and then a couple of deaths to an asshole of a boss, basically put me back to where I was. Bloody frustrating. So i think I really need to make one or two defensive changes.

I can't help but think evade isn't the best way to mitigate. Energy shield seems like a better way to go but also seems like it would be hard to get decent values of that with what I'm doing

Dahbomb

1800HP is nothing, you need like 4k-5k at least. If you are going life + evasion based of course. ES you need like 8K+ at least. Of course you want elements fully capped (chaos not necessary, where you are at is fine).

Try using a melee mobility skill and then attaching Fortify to it like Shield Charge/Whirling Blade/Leap Slam. Fortify is a good source of damage mitigation.

You also need to look into having some sustain/life steal.

Cracklox

1800HP is nothing, you need like 4k-5k at least. If you are going life + evasion based of course. ES you need like 8K+ at least. Of course you want elements fully capped (chaos not necessary, where you are at is fine).

Try using a melee mobility skill and then attaching Fortify to it like Shield Charge/Whirling Blade/Leap Slam. Fortify is a good source of damage mitigation.

You also need to look into having some sustain/life steal.

Yeah sorta figured that amount of life is much more ideal. Question is where do you get get it from without giving up too much? Also, whereabouts is a good spot to have your evade percentage at? Maybe I've over-invested there

I just had a quick look at one or 2 builds and there's people with like 16-17k hps ffs

Yeah sorta figured that amount of life is much more ideal. Question is where do you get get it from without giving up too much? Also, whereabouts is a good spot to have your evade percentage at? Maybe I've over-invested there

I just had a quick look at one or 2 builds and there's people with like 16-17k hps ffs

+% life passive tree nodes and other places like jewels. Make sure there is +life on your items. You can craft life from masters too, but other crafts might be preferred like resistances. With +141% increased life from passive tree, my witch has 3825 life (not counting my energy shield). Just to give you a point of reference.

No amount of extra damage is useful if you can't stay alive to do it.

Cracklox

+% life passive tree nodes and other places like jewels. Make sure there is +life on your items. You can craft life from masters too, but other crafts might be preferred like resistances. With +141% increased life from passive tree, my witch has 3825 life (not counting my energy shield). Just to give you a point of reference.

No amount of extra damage is useful if you can't stay alive to do it.

Thanks again.

I've changed some things around and have and just under 3k health now and feeling like I'm made of cardboard as opposed to paper, so it's a start.

Next question. You mention your total increased life percentage. Is there somewhere I can see that and what else I'm getting from the passive tree without manually adding everything up? Looking through the stats it seems to only give total values and not where they come from. It'd be handy to know at a glance

Zynx

New skill reveal, Storm Burst:

http://eachvideo.com/watch?v=Oj8eEj835Fw

Looks quite fun, actually. And since GGG seems like enjoy releasing overtuned new skills, it'll probably be pretty popular too. But I predict builds to tend towards facetanking for bosses since it's easier to do better single target dps up close.

New skill reveal, Storm Burst:

http://eachvideo.com/watch?v=Oj8eEj835Fw

Looks quite fun, actually. And since GGG seems like enjoy releasing overtuned new skills, it'll probably be pretty popular too. But I predict builds to tend towards facetanking for bosses since it's easier to do better single target dps up close.

And incredibly expensive to gear towards it at first. I'm working on making uberlab farmers that can be built up in under 50c for league starter.

So far my Facebreaker Warchief Totem build turned out pretty good but required quite bit of investment to get uberlab farmable.

Now trying a Slayer Ngamahu Cyclone character stacking endurance charges. This build is looking much more promising. Early league ngamahu is the only thing that could be a little expensive early on and I can just grab the avatar of fire node until I farm up currency for a xophs heart/blood. Which ever gives avatar of fire.

New skill looks cool, but I'm very interested in finding out how it will do vs single targets. Even with things like slower projectiles, you will have to stand close to boss for things to hit and that can be dangerous. And often standing still for even 2 seconds can be a luxury so I'm not sure how this skill will work out.

Orgun

Been playing in the beta again since the latest patch and playing a build similar to Quill18s Flame Totem Chieftain build.

It's my go to relaxation game :)

So they just released the performance improvement patch for the beta. And it's night and day difference.

Just did a beyond breach and it was smooth as butter. GGG did a great job with this one.

Also Cyclone got an AoE buff! At level 18-20 it gets +3 Weapon range and at 21/20 it's +4 weapon range. It's pretty good now.

And they added arrow notifications to landmarks in the map overlay if something is just out of the sight on the map.

Great, great patch.

Orgun

Hope I come across more of these!

aa1b8f4f7ea86dfe167131b0de193b25.png

32319fc077e38a7ae735050118bf4cae.jpg

Baliis

Anyone going to do the 2 week race? Im a day late but thinking of hopping on and trying it out.

I'm playing a cyclone marauder right now and enjoying it. Got a tabula from cadeiro or whatever right when I got to the start of cruel and am blowing stuff up for now.

Leveled up to ~lvl 12-14 until I got bored and decided to wait until more beta stuff / 3.0.0 release instead of tiring myself out on the game.

It WAS however a very interesting experience to get multiple invasion bosses in fetid pool @ lvl 4-5.

The modifiers for the turmoil even is how I imagined legacy leaguestones would altar the game. I'm kind of disappointed legacy wasn't like this turmoil race.

I've pretty much moved on to purely beta stuff at this point.

It's looking like mid to late August for full 3.0 release.

So after doing 5 uber lab runs today in beta. I realized I how much I hate uberlab farming. Eff that. Just going to go for a fast league start to ramp up to a shaped strand and just do that.

Now that leveling is way more fun in 3.0, I think I might go achievement hunting / experimenting in harbinger league, and level a char with all those classes I never have. Like scion.

So after doing 5 uber lab runs today in beta. I realized I how much I hate uberlab farming. Eff that. Just going to go for a fast league start to ramp up to a shaped strand and just do that.

Latest beta report has interesting stuff regarding that. Like
- "There are now always two treasure keys available from optional trap gauntlets and puzzles."
and
- "Changes to various maps, mostly around addressing the current meta. We want to see different shaping strategies in use, and at the very least not the "shaped strand meta"."

I wonder if that means "nerf strand" and/or "buff other maps".

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1924432

Orgun

I took a break from playing the beta to just play in a normal non legacy league (although the Torment 2 week league was fun) and I think i've found the build im going to play when 3.0 fully releases.

A Lightning Strike / Dual Strike Shadow.

Now that leveling is way more fun in 3.0, I think I might go achievement hunting / experimenting in harbinger league, and level a char with all those classes I never have. Like scion.

Latest beta report has interesting stuff regarding that. Like
- "There are now always two treasure keys available from optional trap gauntlets and puzzles."
and
- "Changes to various maps, mostly around addressing the current meta. We want to see different shaping strategies in use, and at the very least not the "shaped strand meta"."

I wonder if that means "nerf strand" and/or "buff other maps".

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1924432

It's going to be very interesting how they do that. I hope they just don't go down the route of just nerfing the shaped meta. But they give people incentive to run other maps by increasing drop rates, mob density or something.

There's been too many nerfs so far. It's time to buff other playstyles to encourage people to stray from the meta.

Top Bottom