• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

inky

Quick question I'm just starting to play the game so should I level up my skill tree aimlessly(without knowing anything about how to build a proper character) or should I follow any established builds?

I wouldn't recommend going aimlessly. Follow a simple build guide and take a look at some of these videos to understand hows and whys:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaFHfrY-6uGSAvmczp_7a6Q/videos

they are short and to the point and very informative. This game requires some knowledge of its mechanics, and the beginner videos will provide it.

Have you got it running yet? If so how does it feel to regular dual warchief?

I was running a Aztiri's Disfavour WC build a few leagues back and had fun with it overall.

I just got done with the normal lab. And it feels good so far on a 4L with Haste Aura. Excited to see how it'll be when I get some levels and a 5L.

It seems pretty good so far. It'll be a really good lab farmer league starter. Went Berserker for my ascendancy.

Quick question I'm just starting to play the game so should I level up my skill tree aimlessly(without knowing anything about how to build a proper character) or should I follow any established builds?

Definitely follow a build. Also download Path of Building and play around with it. It's an amazing tool that automatically calculates all of your stats. So if you want to change a build somewhat.

squidyj

I was holding back looking forward to starting one of the builds i'd been theorycrafting. maybe I should start a proof of concept now.

I killed all of the guardians and shaper today for the first time ever today on my HoWA ST character. Hydra was by far hardest for me. Even more so than shaper.

Was a new milestone for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When i played HoWA ST Hydra was by far the easiest; the only one I one shot. Chimera kicked my ass. Phoenix and Minotaur are just long.

Wallach

After bouncing around builds a while I realize just how tanky and convenient my RF life Jugg really was.

I will probably regear him (funny enough he's also one of the cheapest high end builds I've ever done) and go finish off the other two guardians and shaper.

Crazy to think that in 3.0 life RF is gonna be even stronger.

When i played HoWA ST Hydra was by far the easiest; the only one I one shot. Chimera kicked my ass. Phoenix and Minotaur are just long.

Once I figured out the mechanics of Hydra it wasn't too bad. It was the only guardian that made me use up more than two portals.

Got a decent wand. Going to use all of the es gear from my HoWA and rings. Got a decent wand. Just need a shield and some gloves and the gems.

Have a couple of 21/20 gems on my HoWA. Sell all of my left over gems and my astrementis and I should be able to afford a Dying sun.

Wallach

Knocked out the other two guardians I hadn't done yet (Chimera / Hydra) on my regeared RF Juggernaut.

Those two were probably the easiest ones, especially Chimera who couldn't actually seem to get me below 90%. He's a weakling compared to his adds, pretty weird encounter. Minotaur seems like the only one that could actually be lethal to this character on a bad rock + swing combo or something in a stacked map.

Not sure if I have enough DPS for Shaper, but I'll probably throw myself at it to get an idea.

Edit - Nah, got overran with portals at about 20% left on phase 3. Should be easily doable with this build though with a little more currency invested.

Blues1990

I decided to download the game to give it a whirl, but I don't know where to begin. I want to create a Diablo II-style Barbarian class for the campaign, so what would you guys recommend?

Dahbomb

I decided to download the game to give it a whirl, but I don't know where to begin. I want to create a Diablo II-style Barbarian class for the campaign, so what would you guys recommend?
You can't really think of the game in terms of classes but rather in terms of what skill you want to specialize in.

Meaning you can't be like "oh man I want a big beefy guy who does damage in melee range"... this game is more focused on skills. Classes are there to support the skills.

So in your case I would ask which skill of Barbarian did you like? Did you like Whirlwind? Well then just get the Cyclone skill gem and make a Cyclone character using Raider class. Do you like just slamming the ground creating giant AOE damage? Pick a Slayer and make an Earthquake build.

jerd

Just picked this up for the first time and am having such a blast having gone in blind. I'm sure I will regret most of my decisions with this character once I reach end game but feeling my way around without a guide has definitely been half the fun for me.

Just picked this up for the first time and am having such a blast having gone in blind. I'm sure I will regret most of my decisions with this character once I reach end game but feeling my way around without a guide has definitely been half the fun for me.

Good luck! It took me like 4-6 characters to reach actual endgame, when I started PoE blind. I kept messing up my passive skill tree and I didn't understand mechanics well. If your build is completely broken (broken in a bad way) you will hit a wall before cruel difficulty for example.

It's a complex game though so it's no sin to read wiki and guides if you feel like you are completely stuck.

Thinking of starting to play this game. The Diablo 3 Necro release has me interested in the genre again, but I'm a bit tight on money so I'm leaning towards either Path of Exile or Grim Dawn. Do you think it would be better to start Path when the new expansion hits? Or would it be fine to just start now?

Wallach

Thinking of starting to play this game. The Diablo 3 Necro release has me interested in the genre again, but I'm a bit tight on money so I'm leaning towards either Path of Exile or Grim Dawn. Do you think it would be better to start Path when the new expansion hits? Or would it be fine to just start now?

I think it would be fine to jump in whenever. This is a pretty deep game and starting in to learn the basics before 3.0 seems like a solid idea, that way you don't feel quite as lost when there is even more new stuff to learn with the expansion. I think 3.0 is more than a month away at this point so plenty of time to explore the foundation systems and figure out what kind of skills and playstyle you find most enjoyable.

I wouldn't focus so much on the builds as how the skills feel, learning how currency works, vendor recipes, the mapping system, exploring the passive tree, etc. In Path of Exile pretty much all of the game systems collide with one another (intentionally), so any gaps in your knowledge about one of those systems has knock-on effects of the value you can extract from the others. It's a very knowledge-based game so the more you learn about it the more you'll get out of it, and most of what you arm yourself with in 2.6 will be wholly relevant in 3.0.

I think it would be fine to jump in whenever. This is a pretty deep game and starting in to learn the basics before 3.0 seems like a solid idea, that way you don't feel quite as lost when there is even more new stuff to learn with the expansion. I think 3.0 is more than a month away at this point so plenty of time to explore the foundation systems and figure out what kind of skills and playstyle you find most enjoyable.

I wouldn't focus so much on the builds as how the skills feel, learning how currency works, vendor recipes, the mapping system, exploring the passive tree, etc. In Path of Exile pretty much all of the game systems collide with one another (intentionally), so any gaps in your knowledge about one of those systems has knock-on effects of the value you can extract from the others. It's a very knowledge-based game so the more you learn about it the more you'll get out of it, and most of what you arm yourself with in 2.6 will be wholly relevant in 3.0.

Awesome, yeah for some reason I thought the 3.0 update was hitting next week. Decided to just jump in and made a Witch character. I've thought about checking this game out several times before but was always intimidated by the sheer amount of , well, systems going on in the game and that giant skill tree. However I was looking at videos of people playing this and the game just looks awesome, and I love that the devs are constantly adding things it seems.

Wallach

Awesome, yeah for some reason I thought the 3.0 update was hitting next week. Decided to just jump in and made a Witch character. I've thought about checking this game out several times before but was always intimidated by the sheer amount of , well, systems going on in the game and that giant skill tree. However I was looking at videos of people playing this and the game just looks awesome, and I love that the devs are constantly adding things it seems.

Some of the stuff is not as complicated as it looks; the passive tree especially is pretty straightforward opportunity cost decisions once you understand what the deal is. It just looks scary at first because it is so large (but that doesn't actually matter that much, it's only really somewhat tricky for Scions which is a class you won't be able to use right away anyway and probably will never even want to).

The real complicated part of Path of Exile is the skill gems and how they interact with each other and item affixes. I would not focus too much on learning that aspect straight away because many gems as well as how gem functions are calculated are changing in 3.0 anyway. Player guides, questions or just general eyeballing should be enough on that front until the expansion, I'd just on diving into the other systems that aren't changing as much that are critical; in particular the more you understand about currencies & crafting the more success you will have in this game overall.

So, I've quickly realized the inventory space is minimal. I'm assuming this doesn't change throughout the game and more likely than not I'm expected to buy more space? I have to admit, it's already gotten pretty annoying how often I hear "too much clutter" after picking up like 7 items.

KKRT00

So, I've quickly realized the inventory space is minimal. I'm assuming this doesn't change throughout the game and more likely than not I'm expected to buy more space? I have to admit, it's already gotten pretty annoying how often I hear "too much clutter" after picking up like 7 items.

No, you can only extended stash space, not character inventory space.

Wow. So I take it there are PLENTY of town trips early in the game, then? First I was picking up everything, then I started to only pick up blue or higher items. I'm level 10 and making my way up "The Climb" to the prison and I couldn't even pick up every blue item without a couple of town trips. I've also started to run out of Wisdom scrolls, is that common? Should I be selling items unidentified?

Dahbomb

Wow. So I take it there are PLENTY of town trips early in the game, then? First I was picking up everything, then I started to only pick up blue or higher items. I'm level 10 and making my way up "The Climb" to the prison and I couldn't even pick up every blue item without a couple of town trips. I've also started to run out of Wisdom scrolls, is that common? Should I be selling items unidentified?
You shouldn't be picking up most whites and blues even early on. If you think it can be an upgrade to what you are wearing then pick it up or if it has good sockets.

KKRT00

Generally do not pick up blues unless they are jewerly. Pick only rares.
Also you can convert currencies to scrolls of wisdom or buy some on the trading.
1 armor shard is 2x scrolls of wisdom, 1x Blacksmith's Whetstone is 4 scrolls of wisdoms when trading on Vendors.
Also do not use Chaos Orbs or any currency really unless you know you need it. You can trade players for better items or more standard currency with higher level currency.
For example never use Chaos Orbs.

check this site:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system

Ps. You will make mistakes, do not worry about it :)

Definitely get yourself a loot filter. I recommend neversinks strict filter for starting out. You can get it on git hub. If you Google Neversinks GitHub. That'll drastically cut down on the clutter and automatically unhighlight items that aren't optional.

Second learning what to pick up and what to leave takes time. Early on only pick up items that pertain to what you need. A duelist working with sunder? Grab one handed axe, two handed maces and axes, etc.

Definitely don't pick up everything.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1916033

Finally addressing the performance issues that plague this game with crazy builds. Though there better be the option to turn off the dynamic resolution. The video in the thread was maxed out with a i5 6500 8gb of ram and a 1050ti.

Think the performance patch is going in after the act 8 patch this week.

I still wish there was an option to turn off particle effects from other players. So that party play won't be just a barrage of particles filling the entire screen.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1916033

Finally addressing the performance issues that plague this game with crazy builds. Though there better be the option to turn off the dynamic resolution. The video in the thread was maxed out with a i5 6500 8gb of ram and a 1050ti.

Think the performance patch is going in after the act 8 patch this week.

I still wish there was an option to turn off particle effects from other players. So that party play won't be just a barrage of particles filling the entire screen.

Can't wait! Haven't had issues personally but I have heard from a lot of people about these issues.

Sadly a8 patch is delayed to monday :(

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1916852

Perfectly understandable but still disappointing. I was eager to try it out this weekend. Oh well next week then.

Was it just me or did the feel of PoE improve a lot since I last played (a year ago)? Or maybe it's just the beta? I feel more "oomph" from attacks.

Can't wait! Haven't had issues personally but I have heard from a lot of people about these issues.

Sadly a8 patch is delayed to monday :(

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1916852

Perfectly understandable but still disappointing. I was eager to try it out this weekend. Oh well next week then.

I saw that. They're shooting for the first week of August for the full 3.0 release. I like this better. I have next Tuesday and Wednesday off of work. It'll give a ton of time to play.

Beta definitely has graphics improvements if that is what you mean. I can't say for sure if something has changed in combat system.

Then in the third beta wave. They're going to be releasing the new performance improvement patch. Which is going to drastically reduce the performance issue during high intensity moments or builds, such as Cast on Crit stuff. The 3.0 release looks to be amazing.

Act 8 and the rest of the lab and the lab changes come tomorrow. It's our first chance to fully test new builds.

Going to try a facebreaker Warchief Totems lab farmer to start out.

Normally I start with a poison/bleed EQ build to farm lab at first, but since the needs to double dipping have to find something new to do for a league starter.

I'm hoping they will include the promised threshold jewel vendor in act 8. It would be kinda a bummer if it was only in release / a9 /10. Jewels are so important to (certain) builds that without them you can't really test builds properly.

I'm hoping they will include the promised threshold jewel vendor in act 8. It would be kinda a bummer if it was only in release / a9 /10. Jewels are so important to (certain) builds that without them you can't really test builds properly.

And the economy beta is so effed up. Stuff like ngamahu axes are going for like 5 exalted.

Which is why I want to test a build that I can ssf until I hit Uber lab and farm up currency with Uber farming. Facebreaker totems is that. The act 8 patch should be dropping today.

Take the currency and test a CI phys/ele wander. I'm curious to try CI with the nerfs to it.

According to Bex on Reddit. The Act 8 Beta patch should be live today around 6PM EST/10AM NZT. Said it could happen later in the work day, but that's the plan as of 11 hours ago of this post.

Any compiled list of changes for Wave 2? I know the info is scattered across announcements, but I'm curious if anyone compiled them into one spot

Top Bottom