• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Baliis

I wanna stir things up a bit. What are some builds I could go for?
- Melee
- Not Witch
- Not minions / totems
- Preferably doesn't care about ES

Pick a melee skill that seems fun.
Go Berzerker w/ Vaal Pact.

Pretty much a solid strat any way you look at it.

Dahbomb

- Melee
- Not Witch
- Not minions / totems
Raider and Berserker Ascendancy. Go fast, hit hard, leech big.

Slayer if you want to go 2hand with even bigger leech.

Gladiator if you want more defenses and dual wield.

Just pick a Melee skill:

Sunder, Earthquake, Cyclone, Frost Blades, Dual Strike, Cleave, Lacerate, Ice Crash etc.

Melee builds pretty easy to make.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Nah. You will get 2 ascendancy points for each difficulty of the labyrinth you clear. They are completely* separate from the normal passive tree.

*Scions will get extra passive points.
Good to know, thanks.

Bro chance to 6 link a chest is 1 out of 1200. You don't want to try for that unless you have the chest you want that will carry you through end game.

Also I would replace Faster Attacks with Multistrike. It's easier on the mana consumption and it generally results in more damage in the long run.

Other than that you are doing good so far.
I would've tried only once to link it xD

Multistrike is an Act 4 skill? Near the start or end of it?

Bonezz

Neo Member
- Melee
- Not Witch
- Not minions / totems
Wild Strike Raider
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1929055
That's what I'm currently playing atm and I'm having a ton of fun with it. Originally the character was going to go spectral throw but it didn't really work out so I just spammed regrets. I don't really have any issues clearing any maps up to t15 but I haven't tried to do t16 yet on that character.

My starter this league though was DW Sunder and Alkaizer has a good video on it. It's extremely fast and clears maps stupidy quick but I haven't even tried doing shaper on it yet.

Multistrike is an Act 4 skill? Near the start or end of it?
Multistrike can be bought after you kill the act 4 boss. You could also just buy one off of poe.trade if you're over level 38 and dont want to wait.

KKRT00

- Melee
- Not Witch
- Not minions / totems

Mine maybe? Based on Charged Dash and Viper Strike, Bleeding and Poison scaling.
I can tell you that it is a lot of fun :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkDW2qM37Ww&t=9s

https://poeplanner.com/AAkAAWAACSQC...NARQBATB1AgEBhgEMAfoAAAAADgCSARQBAsgAlgAAAAAA

The downside could be killing bosses sometimes while leveling, though i rushed quite a bit and was making up this build on the fly, while playing 3.0 blind.
Its really cheap, but it cannot be done on Self Found due to requirement of two unique jewels (Fragility).

TheKeyPit

Banned
My current build in action:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/video/36145569

I'm currently having a lot of disconnects during fast travel :/

Multistrike can be bought after you kill the act 4 boss. You could also just buy one off of poe.trade if you're over level 38 and dont want to wait.
I'll take a look in the trading section on Xbox :-o

Edit: I did, but trading here is probably as bad as in other games(either waiting a whole day or never getting an answer to an offer; Runescape did it pretty good with the auction house: If you offer the requested stuff, you get the item instantly)

Xyber

Pro tip: when you're opening a strongbox, make sure your anti-freeze flask has charges.

T_T

I was so used to being freeze immune with phasing active, but then respecced that ascendancy. Quickly learned that I had to grab a flask with freeze immunity. :D

Handy Fake

Pro tip: when you're opening a strongbox, make sure your anti-freeze flask has charges.

T_T

This.

Neat trick - if you're packing Lightning Warp, target the warp location then open the strongbox. Flashes you out of the way as it opens.

By the by, I always get royally dicked by Elemental Reflect mods on maps...

TheKeyPit

Banned
How much are Vaal skills worth? Someone offered me 3 Chaos Orbs for Vaal Summon Skeletons.

Edit:
Fight against Kaom:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/video/36150930

Pretty sure that he didn't even hurt me once. I found some unique Gloves right before that grant 30% Attack-Speed when at full health. I used my +3000 Evasion flask twice during that short encounter and the 80%+ Evasion helped a lot.

Dahbomb

You can open a Strong box from a distance by holding down space bar (whatever your attack in place in command is).

And probably should read up on the vendor recipes.

iamblades

- Melee
- Not Witch
- Not minions / totems

Facebreaker infernal blow is still the most fun melee build I've ever done. It can do any map mod except cannot leech life.

Can use almost any class/ascendancy in the bottom left corner of the map + scion, though you need to use slayer if you want to run physical reflect content(if you are doing a crit build anyway, non crit maybe can find another way to work around reflect mods).

Handy Fake

You can open a Strong box from a distance by holding down space bar (whatever your attack in place in command is).

no-effin-way.gif

THIS IS A THING?

Shinypogs

At what act does having fully linked and suffix/prefex appropriate gear become required? I'm always on the lookout for better drops or things I can craft later as I progress but I'm not sure when the story puts it's foot down and demands I stop using sub par gear.

Also aside from being awful at ramps zombies are pretty damn awesome. With flesh offering be and my 6 corpse pals are zipping about destroying all who oppose us. Also summon raging spirits feels hilariously broken.

JoeMartin

By the by, I always get royally dicked by Elemental Reflect mods on maps...

Yeah I'm starting to be limited by this @ 90. I have to be very vigilant for ele reflect rare mobs in maps and literally not even kill them.

A crit doryani's touch is hitting for up to 2.8 million damage now, and I cannot survive a reflect on even a single mob, even with vinktar's up.

Rufus

Wait, what? From how far away?

Yeah I'm starting to be limited by this @ 90. I have to be very vigilant for ele reflect rare mobs in maps and literally not even kill them.

A crit doryani's touch is hitting for up to 2.8 million damage now, and I cannot survive a reflect on even a single mob, even with vinktar's up.
Fun mechanic, isn't it?

iamblades

At what act does having fully linked and suffix/prefex appropriate gear become required? I'm always on the lookout for better drops or things I can craft later as I progress but I'm not sure when the story puts it's foot down and demands I stop using sub par gear.

Also aside from being awful at ramps zombies are pretty damn awesome. With flesh offering be and my 6 corpse pals are zipping about destroying all who oppose us. Also summon raging spirits feels hilariously broken.

Never really.

While playing through the story all you need to worry about gear wise are two things:

keeping as close to resist capped as possible

having as much life/EHP as possible.

Especially playing a summoner build, gear does not really matter all that much.

If you are playing an attack based build, you need to spend a bit more time upgrading your weapons or your dps will drop off rapidly, but spell based builds can get through the game with laughable gear, and summon/totem builds even worse gear.

Dahbomb

You can beat story mode with subpar gear. If you resistances are near cap 75% (Elemental not chaos) and your HP total is good plus you do more than tickle damage then you should be fine.

Edit: Anyone know how how the shock works with Call of the Brotherhood after the 3.0 changes? It's 100% chance to shock against frozen enemies but what value do you shock at (the old 50%, the new 20% or scaled down based on the damage done which caused the enemy to be frozen)?

Shinypogs

Thanks guys, I'll keep my resistances up and keep chugging then.

Also finally took a good look at my old starter char from years ago and apparently I was trying an ethereal knives, and trap focused shadow. It's probably hideously sub optional but I'll delete it and resurrect it on a fresh shadow character once I finish the story with my witch.

so many options and not enough time to mess with them all.

Dahbomb

Ethereal Knives plus Trap isn't the worst idea in the world to be honest but you would just be better off using the Nova jewel and using it self cast as a fast ascendancy character (Assassin, Inquisitor (with elemental conversion), Raider etc).

TheKeyPit

Banned
Start of Act 5.

5 Frenzy Charges + the rest (I was finally able to integrate Multistrike Support) and it states 7.5k DPS for Lightning Strike. It's ridiculously fast now.

Edit:
Welp, I got another Ornament of the East Gut Ripper Claw for 1 Chaos Orb. I got an achievement for equipping both.

DPS is now 8.8k :-o

Edit2: Oh boy, the games' performance is starting to tank on Xbox. Too fast.

Dahbomb

Start of Act 5.

5 Frenzy Charges + the rest (I was finally able to integrate Multistrike Support) and it states 7.5k DPS for Lightning Strike. It's ridiculously fast now.

Edit:
Welp, I got another Ornament of the East Gut Ripper Claw for 1 Chaos Orb. I got an achievement for equipping both.

DPS is now 8.8k :-o

Edit2: Oh boy, the games' performance is starting to tank on Xbox. Too fast.
Damn already? Game is going to be unplayable at the higher levels then.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Damn already? Game is going to be unplayable at the higher levels then.
It was some weird stuttering during the last encounter. I'll continue playing tomorrow and see if it happens on a regular basis. (I'm also in the Xbox Insider Alpha Ring and the new update is running on my console; could be that)

M.D

I started playing a few days ago after hearing and seeing more and more of this game recently

I started a Necromancer and reached Act 2 today, having fun with the different skills and whatnot.
From what little reading I've done it sounds like you can have your character do anything regardless of the starting class? I'm following a skill build but I'm really sure the endgame for that build looks like..

Are there any general tips for beginners? Also, what is there to do once you finish the campaign?

Dahbomb

A character can theoretically do anything but it's more optimum with certain classes. Like you want to use an Ascendancy class that specializes in something ie. if you want to use a trap build then you want to use Saboteur as it specializes in traps. Also where you start on the skill tree and your general stat gains influences build too. So for a summoner build, you generally go Witch - Necromancer.

I gave a bunch of tips a few pages ago, you can check it out but it's better to watch Engineering Eternity beginners guide on Youtube for PoE. Very detailed and comprehensive.

After you beat the story campaign, you go into end game mapping and the Atlas. The Atlas is a series of a 150 or so maps (essentially zones with special affixes on them to make them harder/generate more loot with a boss at the end) culminating in 4 Guardian fights (which are very hard) and then the game's actual final boss.

Ultratech

Finally beat Kitava...only died 2-3 times, so it wasn't too bad.

Now it's on to maps! Did a few this morning, but now I gotta try and get better gear since my Resistances dropped again.

Went and traded for a Rise of the Phoenix shield so I can reliably run RF; it's pretty fun.
Just need better gear now to really go places.

Might make a Necromancer (or some kind of Minion build) next since I picked up quite a few Minion Skill Gems/Jewels/Gear.

Also is there something I can do with some of these crappy Uniques I've been picking up?
(Either they're unusable for me or they're just not that great.)

Rufus

Also is there something I can do with some of these crappy Uniques I've been picking up?
(Either they're unusable for me or they're just not that great.)
The vast majority won't be worth more than a chaos, if that, but it can't hurt to check poe.trade occasionally.

There are a lot of good leveling uniques that you should hold on to. Lifesprig for instance doesn't look like much, but it's great for leveling casters. I don't think there's a comprehensive list out there, though.

I also like to keep trash uniques around just to trade them in using Navali's 5-for-1 trade-in prophecy (the lowest unique's itemlevel is the cap for whatever you can get out of it). It's a relatively common prophecy, but if you're low on stash space, there's no need to bother with it.

zon

If anyone is looking for new builds I highly recommend a scion using dark pact totems. It's cheap to get going and tears through most content. It only costs you 100 chaos to get gear that makes it possible to farm t15 maps and below. You only need to get decent gear pieces for shaper and uber atziri.

Here's the version I followed, I took a few more health nodes than the guide and I use the crit multi gem instead of crit chance (with arcane surge activated the crit gem becomes better): https://ru.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/24332

I started farming shaper yesterday with this build and after 10 runs it has paid off nicely, 3 Dying Sun flasks and one Starforge. :)

iamblades

The vast majority won't be worth more than a chaos, if that, but it can't hurt to check poe.trade occasionally.

There are a lot of good leveling uniques that you should hold on to. Lifesprig for instance doesn't look like much, but it's great for leveling casters. I don't think there's a comprehensive list out there, though.

I also like to keep trash uniques around just to trade them in using Navali's 5-for-1 trade-in prophecy (the lowest unique's itemlevel is the cap for whatever you can get out of it). It's a relatively common prophecy, but if you're low on stash space, there's no need to bother with it.

I hoard all the uniques that drop cause i got OCD. :p

Goldrim and Wanderlust are the big two levelling uniques. It's worth putting those on basically any character to start out. I won't level a scion anymore without a Hidden Potential jewel, because early level scion DPS is garbage otherwise.

rickyson1

as far as uniques go I couldn't bring myself to get rid of any uniques on my loot filter but what I do do is have it so the ones that aren't typically worth anything don't make a sound so I know I can just safely ignore them

sometimes if I feel like it I pick a couple of them up and check the rolls because sometimes a good roll on something that's not worth anything makes it worth something(sold a not quite perfect but close to it belt of the deceiver for 35c yesterday for example) but generally I don't bother

- Melee
- Not Witch
- Not minions / totems

If you have some currency. A cyclone character with ngamahu and xophs heart. Or with Starforge/Disfavour. I'm leveling a Disfavour cyclone right now. I play a cyclone character every league. Really enjoyable.

Doing mine with a Disfavour that I bought for 255c and Slayer Ascendancy. Then 6 linked. Using Devotos and Kaoms Heart. Should be a good build that can do all content.

Exalted Orbs are suddenly rapidly climbing in price, big surprise

Good thing I just bought 500c in Exalts a few days ago when they were 26c a piece. I might just double my investment there.

rickyson1

pretty annoying timing on this ex stuff for me

was looking to get a headhunter tomorrow but now all of a sudden everyone wants ex for doctor cards which right now in practice means a sudden like 25% price increase

Thanks for all the tips on melee choices. I ended up going with Slayer Ngamahu.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1819239

I started on Harbinger this time. Man, early game is a lot more fun compared to Necro. Just carry double Quicksilvers and a Leap Slam and I'm sipping across the maps. Melee feels really good, fun, and fast-paced.

Re: Summoner Gear yeah you can pretty much carry trash and get through the story. My wand was essentially ignored. I think I had a Lv30 wand when I beat the story because it had a decent Lightning res. Every other roll I find are useless.

JoeMartin

Wait, what? From how far away?

Fun mechanic, isn't it?

It's fucking infuriating. I'm shield charging around at 139% ias and usually I've already queued the attack before the reflect mob even comes into frame, and I get to spend that half of a second knowing that I'm going to die even if I mash vinktar's in time because reflect is stupid.

Dahbomb

Yeah the strongbox thing was a troll lol!

What flasks do you have equipped?

Edit: If Harbinger ends, my character gets transferred to Standard League, right?
Yeah character gets transferred to Standard.

My flasks are Atziri Promise, Taste of Hate, Lion's Roar which are unique flasks, then a Jade Flask and finally a Stibnite flask.

I am scaling Physical damage for this build and converting all to cold.

Atziri Promise scales both my physical and Elemental and gives me extra chaos damage from it. It's also some very much needed chaos resistance on the character. This flask costs only 1-2 Chaos, everyone has one of these in the mid to late game.

Taste of Hate converts some of my physical damage into extra cold damage which means it's the best flask for my build as I am scaling both. Further more it converts incoming damage into cold which is them mitigated through my cold resistances, essentially making me tankier. Finally, this flask raises my maximum cold resistance by 5% which means I take less damage from cold damage on reflect enemies. The chill/Freeze avoidance is irrelevant for my build as I am always Freeze immune thanks to Raider ascendancy. This is a very expensive flasks cost me 120C.

Lions Roar boosts my physical damage by a lot which gives me more damage. It also adds knockback to my attacks and gives me some needed armor. Another great flask for this build. This costs 7-8 fairly cheap for the power it gives.

Jade Flask gives a ton of flat Evasion which is what this character is stacking for damage through Dreamfeathers and movement speed through Queen of the Forest chest. It's also a must for this build and makes you untouchable against mobs. I have bleed removal on this flask. I crafted this flask myself.

Stibnite Flask creates a smoke which blinds enemies which makes it even harder for them to hit me. It also increases my evasion by 100% meaning when I use Jade plus Stibnite my Evasion is through the roof like 50k+ so these two together act like Quicksilver/Onslaught flasks plus nice defense from evasion. I have curse removal on this because you want Curse removal all the time up when mapping late game and Stibnite has a lot of charges making it the perfect flask for this. I crafted this myself too.

zon

Going to start PoE for the first time ever tonight. Any thing I should know - tips to ease me in?

Look for a build on the official forums that you think sounds interesting and play that. Trying to make your own build from the start is a very confusing (and frustrating) experience.

Top Bottom