• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2014 Thread | April 11-13, 2014 | It's Finally Spring

SUPARSTARX

I'm not sure what route my Greyhound took but we're stuck in traffic due to a three vehicle accident. It's going to be a long night as I also have a stiff neck atm :(

It was great seeing you all again tonight. I'm stuffed from all dat hot pot.

Sorry I had to bail though. Totally would've went to Arsenic's and RobertM's place if I didn't have to work tomorrow

DTJAAAAM

Slowly making my way back home to Seattle, with an unplanned overnight layover in San Diego. Really disappointed in the swag this year, but I wasn't really going after it as much as I used to. Ran into Quadratic *VERY* briefly in the sky bridge (good meeting you, just wish I could have came up with more to say XD), plus Jipan, SUPARSTARX, and thebaroness several times over the weekend.

Here are a few more shots I took over the course of Saturday and Sunday:

WQDlLtK.jpg
hbEZdMc.jpg

SCTS4sq.jpg
TmzoyGm.jpg

OiK82jr.jpg
Jha2mQk.jpg

UZIuF5e.jpg
h6rXRRx.jpg

raApZgu.jpg
FDGpwum.jpg

Titm13Z.jpg
qzABrMk.jpg

nbwQzqw.jpg
bTSmL2f.jpg

AZUELAY.jpg
1QT6HaY.jpg

Pn8uubH.jpg
VQMhSSr.jpg

nbMZyXG.jpg
3UvevUY.jpg

mnIEZJP.jpg
ofgseW6.jpg

4COtHQr.jpg
rAKuL9l.jpg

pgMgxj2.jpg
tehfDD3.jpg

ayjXwnC.jpg
m4BGwjF.jpg

qz1a17v.jpg
fyci5rg.jpg

8VXnqxr.jpg

4tJOVWY.jpg

Ed2uzIz.jpg

HxVSOPU.jpg

Ran rp

Aaand that's it for my first PAX East! My body is dead but my spirit is in gaming heaven. I'm so glad I got to meet so many great devs and play a ton of great games. Can't wait for next year.

Karkador

Banned
There was a lot of controversy a few months ago when the PAX organizers announced the "Roll for Diversity Hub and Lounge". I actually thought it sounded like a good way to help promote diversity at the event. Now that PAX East is over, what do you think of the idea, and its implementation thus far?

We went in and looked around for a bit. Either everyone there was a bit tired (it was Sunday), or I dunno what, but it didn't feel too engaging to be there (and I'm already pretty engaged in these topics). Though there were some people with tables set up talking to con goers, no one who wasn't busy was necessarily trying to get my attention.

It seemed a bit token, maybe? It was in a room, away from all the showfloor crowds. The plus side is that it's a nice, chill place, and a fair amount of people were hanging out on beanbags with their laptops , and I guess that's cool for people who want to find and hang out with like minded people. The downside is that their message is hidden away for only those who will (quite literally) walk through the door.

I don't know if the people who most benefit from the diversity lounge prefer it to be a sanctuary rather than something on an insane show floor, where everyone is trying to sell something as loud as possible. On the other hand, maybe diversity is an idea that needs to be put out there, demo'd, and marketed.

Jhoan

Finally back on my crappy laptop with half the keys working. Yup, it's home all right. I have a few posts to respond to that I've been meaning to get back to. Not looking forward to being back in the oppressive skyscrapers of NYC but it's home and I have a whole lot of crap to do eventually.

Did you see me? Were you with Slowa/Brooklyn?
Yeah, I was. I'm oblivious so reiterate what you looked like to me. Still bad with [E] names and faces. Gonna change my [E] name to something shorter for future references since I had everyone call me by the acronym GYM. All the Enforcers were awesome for the most part. My friends and I were all in awe by how it's 10x better organized than working as Crew for NY Comic Con. [E] has passionate people in it that it runs PAX/ PAX East absolutely smooth like a drinking a shot of soju.
I'm not sure what route my Greyhound took but we're stuck in traffic due to a three vehicle accident. It's going to be a long night as I also have a stiff neck atm :(
Oh man! Was it in Connecticut about 25 miles away from NY state? My friends and I passed by a nasty traffic jam for people heading north to CT. It looked like a car hit a motorcyclist and I'm sure we saw a dead body with blood oozing on the tarmac Hotline Miami style. It wasn't a pretty sight to look at as it made us all cringe.

The picture is focused on the figures in the foreground that I can't make myself out among the Enforcers in the background. I can say that I did help Matt Rorie toss out Pwnmeal to the crowd which was so much fun and awesome to do. Definitely one of my highlights of the weekend. Set out to meet Giant Bomb so mission accomplished. And again, drinking one of Andy's awesome home made beers; I believe I had an IPA.

I saw the GB crew 3 times and told them all including Jeff when I spoke to him after the Wrestlemania event. I told Jeff that I demand more Shit Bandit stories since they had me in tears with laughter. Got the badge signed by all of them as well as Jeff Green and Tim Schafer. So I have nothing but love and respect for Giant Bomb. I'll post pics in several hours.

DM_Uselink, thanks for the words of encouragement; I definitely won't give up and will keep on drawing stuff. I agree that it's always best to follow your heart/passions no matter what society about art as a profession. Gotta order a new sketchbook soon. Pau knows how overwhelmed I've been by art classes this semester including Advanced Painting.

SUPARSTARX

Oh man! Was it in Connecticut about 25 miles away from NY state? My friends and I passed by a nasty traffic jam for people heading north to CT. It looked like a car hit a motorcyclist and I'm sure we saw a dead body with blood oozing on the tarmac Hotline Miami style. It wasn't a pretty sight to look at as it made us all cringe.

Yep that was exactly it. Just got home a short while ago taking the D from Bryant Park back into Brooklyn. It was pretty much a two hour traffic jam cuz they had to scrape bodies off the highway I think :x

Jhoan

Yep that was exactly it. Just got home a short while ago taking the D from Bryant Park back into Brooklyn. It was pretty much a two hour traffic jam cuz they had to scrape bodies off the highway I think :x

*shudders* It looks like they had crime scene tape going on. I feel sorry anyone who's still stuck in that traffic jam this very moment. Good to read that you made it back to the city.

Old Lace

I think I was on that bus. I was half asleep, but I remember at some point they had to switch drivers.

Petrie

Banned
Before I hit up Reddit, were any Gaffers working to complete the PAX Cards Against Humanity set? I have quite a few extras and I'm looking to get copies of cards 14 and 20 to fill it out, and figured I'd prefer to trade up with my fellow Gaffers.

If that isn't allowed here, my apologies.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah, I was. I'm oblivious so reiterate what you looked like to me. Still bad with [E] names and faces. Gonna change my [E] name to something shorter for future references since I had everyone call me by the acronym GYM. All the Enforcers were awesome for the most part. My friends and I were all in awe by how it's 10x better organized than working as Crew for NY Comic Con. [E] has passionate people in it that it runs PAX/ PAX East absolutely smooth like a drinking a shot of soju.

I was wearing blue jeans rolled up at the bottom with blue aldo shoes, glasses, and hair that was curly on one side kinda. it was doing a cowlick thing.

Before I hit up Reddit, were any Gaffers working to complete the PAX Cards Against Humanity set? I have quite a few extras and I'm looking to get copies of cards 14 and 20 to fill it out, and figured I'd prefer to trade up with my fellow Gaffers.

If that isn't allowed here, my apologies.
14-20 were possibly the rarer set, with 18/19 being almost impossible to find. The trading post at the front of the kickstarter booth had been looking for it all day, but had plenty of 1-10..

Petrie

Banned
14-20 were possibly the rarer set, with 18/19 being almost impossible to find. The trading post at the front of the kickstarter booth had been looking for it all day, but had plenty of 1-10..

Weird. I have myself 18 and 19 so I guess that's good, but damn I need that 14 and 20!

Grakl

seemed to be way less swag this year, and some big companies were just completely absent -- boyfriend and I had fun, but we'll probably only go for one day next year instead of all 3.

Cowie

Had a ton of fun playing upcoming games and even got to check on three of my kickstarted titles. Already trying to figure out a way to work out a trip to Prime.

Was fun drinking with gaffers on saturday! Perhaps I'll catch you folks again at another pax!

seemed to be way less swag this year, and some big companies were just completely absent -- boyfriend and I had fun, but we'll probably only go for one day next year instead of all 3.
Swag on a downhill slop is expected, it's been in decline for years, I don't think anyone is surprised.

I am, however, much more disappointed in this one than I've ever been. This pax feels like unless you like MOBAs (and haven't picked an allegiance), WoW clones, or straight up casual games on tablets (possibly shoehorned into a console control/pc), there isn't much for you*. Honestly, I think I've spent way more time in the board game section this year, and I think the turnout in that section shows the shift in balance.

* Yes the indie section is where the action is, but unfortunately for me, being from Toronto, I've seen half the indie stuff at various states of completion/introduction over the last few years. It's good that games like Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is getting the exposure to the bigger audience, but it's not exactly exciting for me. And for those that looked exciting, since most of these are PC and/or kickstarter with alpha access, I'm more than willing just to throw money down, skip the line, and play later at home. This sentiment is shared by a few others I've talked to.

And on that note, one image to sum up PAX
BlL5Vj6IcAAIbR_.jpg

Yeah, most of my time on the floor was just around the indie booths. There wasn't too much that was interesting in the main parts of the floor unless you liked MOBAs or MMOs

Grakl

Swag on a downhill slop is expected, it's been in decline for years, I don't think anyone is surprised.

I am, however, much more disappointed in this one than I've ever been. This pax feels like unless you like MOBAs (and haven't picked an allegiance), WoW clones, or straight up casual games on tablets (possibly shoehorned into a console control/pc), there isn't much for you*. Honestly, I think I've spent way more time in the board game section this year, and I think the turnout in that section shows the shift in balance.

* Yes the indie section is where the action is, but unfortunately for me, being from Toronto, I've seen half the indie stuff at various states of completion/introduction over the last few years. It's good that games like Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is getting the exposure to the bigger audience, but it's not exactly exciting for me. And for those that looked exciting, since most of these are PC and/or kickstarter with alpha access, I'm more than willing just to throw money down, skip the line, and play later at home. This sentiment is shared by a few others I've talked to.

And on that note, one image to sum up PAX
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlL5Vj6IcAAIbR_.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

/agree

still good for a one day visit, but I really don't give a fuck about all these MOBAs and MMOs. card games and some things are fun, though

One last bit of PAXEast. It appears I'm on the same flight back as the CAPY guys. Probably should have made the time to actually play Below at the show. Stupid lines....

5amshift

Banned
Had a blast and met a ton of industry people this time around. I was at the Square event if anybody else was. Saw some guy browsing GAF from his phone and he had an attitude when I asked if he was for the 6pm appointment.

He looked pretty salty when I got to jump the line, though.
Picked up tons of swag and played Evolve a ton. God damn the game is amazing.

Phew, what a season, what a season.

Thanks again for being so inclusive, PAXGaf. Was a blast to meet you guys. Hopefully next year I'm in a closer place so I can more easily make meets.

I'll type up more detailed thoughts and impressions when I have more time, as I'm still chilling in Boston for today before flying back tonight. I might go for the Sam Adams brew tour. There was another mentioned thigh, what was it and where is it? Closer to downtown would be nicer.

Anyways, Boston was great, gaf was great, and PAX was a blast. There was never enough time to see everything, but I got to check out everybody important to me.

Will try for Prime passes if they come up soon.

Quadratic

Phew, what a season, what a season.

Thanks again for being so inclusive, PAXGaf. Was a blast to meet you guys. Hopefully next year I'm in a closer place so I can more easily make meets.

I'll type up more detailed thoughts and impressions when I have more time, as I'm still chilling in Boston for today before flying back tonight. I might go for the Sam Adams brew tour. There was another mentioned thigh, what was it and where is it? Closer to downtown would be nicer.

Anyways, Boston was great, gaf was great, and PAX was a blast. There was never enough time to see everything, but I got to check out everybody important to me.

Will try for Prime passes if they come up soon.

Go on the Harpoon brewery tour it's on seaport blvd near the convention center. Make sure to grab the pretzels while you're there. They are delicious.

My legs are trashed today. So are my arms - I ended up carrying a cooler of 36 bottles of beer to the Giant Bomb panel from the back parking lot - it was not easy.

Jhoan

In retrospect, I wish I'd seen the rest of you guys that were over at Atlantic Brewery on Saturday night after I saw Mully off. It felt as if there were 2 separate GAF groups across all 3 nights with one side being comprised of lurkers/obscure very selective members who only post in certain threads and the other side being comprised of regular members that post on both sides which was fascinating to note.

That being said, I apologize if I came off somewhat cold to a few other GAF members that I didn't get around to greeting at Whiskey Priest. I warm to people pretty quickly once we get a conversation going. I did enjoy talking to ActStriker and ShoNuff among the others.

Also RE underwhelming swag: I get what you mean AlphaTwo. There was a massive mess of oatmeal scattered across the floors. Also some of the more worthwhile swag was accrued through either attending panels or being at the right place, right time; we gave out a bunch of pricey swag including keyboards, beta keys, graphics cards, routers, and $200-$300 headsets to people waiting on lines because that's how Line Entertainment rolls.

Several friends got Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel codes to unlock and download the full game when it comes out since Gearbox gave them out to all that attended the panel (it was also at 10:30). I heard that another off-shift Enforcer won a PS4 via a raffle ticket at the Blizzard booth.

And I do agree with the general consensus on E floor being dominated by MOBAs which I personally have 0 interest in. When I was directing people to the merchandise booth on the floor, I occasionally glanced over the League of Legends tournament between NYU and UConn. I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Props to Riot Games though on building an audience for it even though DOTA 2 trumps it.

I would love to tour the Sam Adams brewery another day; statues of that guy are everywhere. I remember listening to a kick ass thumping Hotline Miami style music radio station as the first radio station we flipped on. Living room is a massive so will see if I post pics and more thoughts later. But I will say that the Wrestlemania 2000 panel was so much fun despite getting there late.

And I do agree with the general consensus on E floor being dominated by MOBAs which I personally have 0 interest in. When I was directing people to the merchandise booth on the floor, I occasionally glanced over the League of Legends tournament between NYU and UConn. I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Props to Riot Games though on building an audience for it even though DOTA 2 trumps it.

I'm pretty sure the LoL playerbase is still way larger than the Dota2 playerbase.

In retrospect, I wish I'd seen the rest of you guys that were over at Atlantic Brewery on Saturday night after I saw Mully off. It felt as if there were 2 separate GAF groups across all 3 nights with one side being comprised of lurkers/obscure very selective members who only post in certain threads and the other side being comprised of regular members that post on both sides which was fascinating to note.

I would love to tour the Sam Adams brewery another day; statues of that guy are everywhere. I remember listening to a kick ass thumping Hotline Miami style music radio station as the first radio station we flipped on. Living room is a massive so will see if I post pics and more thoughts later. But I will say that the Wrestlemania 2000 panel was so much fun despite getting there late.
You mean Atlantic Friday night? The only reason we went there is due to not being able to get in. I had gotten there along with everyone else at 6:40ish but had left y ID at home, so Manmaid drove me back to quickly pick it up.Omegasquash 'a wife was out there too, so others left as well. Wish the rest of y'all would've come out. We had a great time drinking and dancing til 1.

Other than that night, I really didn't think it was segregated. Big turnout for both Saturday night pho/bar and Sundays harpoon brewery/hot pot/ movie night.

Man...the League of Legends booth. They really need to just have their setup in a big panel room or something. It just takes up way too much room for a game that has been out for years. Down sizing that booth means more room for differnt games or more demo stations, meaning less capped lines.

Jhoan

I'm pretty sure the LoL playerbase is still way larger than the Dota2 playerbase.
I see. I'd figure the recent switch to F2P would make Dota 2 the more popular choice. But then again, LoL came out first and Valve followed suit.
You mean Atlantic Friday night? The only reason we went there is due to not being able to get in. I had gotten there along with everyone else at 6:40ish but had left y ID at home, so Manmaid drove me back to quickly pick it up.Omegasquash 'a wife was out there too, so others left as well. Wish the rest of y'all would've come out. We had a great time drinking and dancing til 1.

Other than that night, I really didn't think it was segregated. Big turnout for both Saturday night pho/bar and Sundays harpoon brewery/hot pot/ movie night.

Oops! Yup I meant Friday night. Was mainly looking out for Mully in his drunken state on top of wanting to talk to the GB crew some more. Mully had said something about AcridMeat telling him to go to Atlantic that I looked at it with a curious look as I passed by. I forgot how arbitrary it is to get into an out of state bar since I normally use my Learner's Permit here in the city. Thankfully I had my passport on me; a poor out of state sap got turned away because he was in the same situation.

I'm glad you guys had fun and hopefully got some cool swag. I was tempted to take a cab to Chinatown at 7 to join in on the festivities but alas, my friend who drove us was persistent in wanting to leave; we didn't end up leaving the city until 10PM since a friend got engrossed into watching Game of Thrones at his hotel room until we told him to ditch it. Got back home at 1:30AM.

Tawpgun

Man...the League of Legends booth. They really need to just have their setup in a big panel room or something. It just takes up way too much room for a game that has been out for years. Down sizing that booth means more room for differnt games or more demo stations, meaning less capped lines.
Was talking to a hitmonchan from GAF, he's the community manager at Trendy, their booth was right behind Riot.

Told me their booth cost 1.5 million

Really wish I could have made it out on Sunday night, but my friends pretty much got tired of the show at 4 pm, and I wasn't about to keep them there.

Well that and the fact that I was up early on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was burned out. Friday night...man.

Sober

Were you able to get the ginger Coriander growler? I may go there again next Sunday.
Was too delicious.
Man that shit was so good. Thanks again to the both of you for letting us come over for drunken movie night.

I think halfway through But Trouble in Little China you just wandered into your bedroom and fell asleep?

AcridMeat

Banned
Great weekend. Last night was particularly special.

This bus ride reminds me of Over the Top. So sweaty.
haha, yes it was!

Big thanks to everyone who came out and got a chance to talk. I know there are a couple I wanted to catch up with more.

Shorty and I are a couple hours from NYC now. Pray for us that we don't get lost.

SKINNER!

Banned
Great weekend, great night yesterday having Chinese food and laughing our asses off watching Stallone and Russell. Thanks to everyone I met. Thanks to Arsenic for inviting us over for a hang out. Hopefully still get to meet some NYC gaffers in the next few days before I head back to Glasgow. If you want to swap fb contacts then give me a shout :)

Man that shit was so good. Thanks again to the both of you for letting us come over for drunken movie night.

I think halfway through But Trouble in Little China you just wandered into your bedroom and fell asleep?
Yeah, it was almost over and I needed to charge my phone to respond to an important email. I unexpectedly fell asleep. Sorry I couldn't say bye to ya'll :(.

Sanjuro

If I knew there was an after Sunday meeting I would have came.

Ended up struggling to stay awake heading back down to grand southeastern Massachusetts.

Top Bottom