• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC game catch-up

The End

Alright, so I'm going from a 2.8 P4 with a GF4 to a 6800. What's going to look pretty?

I've already got HL2 and CoV, but what else should I grab? FEAR? Farcry? How about AOE 3?

The End

trippingmartian said:
Battlefield 2
World of Warcraft
Doom III

I played WoW, i have no desire to go back to it. Doom 3 was unbelievably meh, even if it didn't run in its full glory on my GF4. How about Silent Storm? The alternate-reality WW1 RTS? Am I thinking of something else?

Raiden

Banned
Battlefield 2
F.E.A.R.
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
&
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne(if you havent already)

Pimpbaa

The End said:
Alright, so I'm going from a 2.8 P4 with a GF4 to a 6800. What's going to look pretty?

I've already got HL2 and CoV, but what else should I grab? FEAR? Farcry? How about AOE 3?

Guild Wars is kinda purdy, unless you are a bloom lighting hatin commie!

I'm in largely the same boat; I'm mostly done with a major computer upgrade. My new video card came with Call of Duty 2, so I'll probably start off playing that and getting back into Counter-Strike: Source. Eventually I plan on playing FEAR, a second Half-Life 2 playthrough, Age of Empires 3, and some more Battlefield 2.

Is a 6800 good enough for Half-Life 2: Lost Coast? You may want to try that, too.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game won't push the limits of your PC...

But Space Rangers is an absolutely fantastic RPG. It's a combination of Elite, Star Control 2 and Escape Velocity. I've been having a blast with it.

Huge open-ended universe to explore, dynamic economy and NPC ships flying everywhere, ability to build various types of space stations, persistant war over star systems like in Star Con2... it even has a simple but pretty 3D rts engine for planet assaults.

It's an import, but you can get it through GoGamer for regular price in the US:

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001SPAR

Ahriman

Let me recommend some RTSs, given how everyone else is FPS-oriented :)

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of war (+ the Winter something expansion pack) and Rome: Total war (+ barbarian invasion expansion pack). If you like weird strategy games, try Perimeter (I urge you to try the demo first, though).

FlyinJ said:

But Space Rangers is an absolutely fantastic RPG. It's a combination of Elite, Star Control 2 and Escape Velocity. I've been having a blast with it.

Huge open-ended universe to explore, dynamic economy and NPC ships flying everywhere, ability to build various types of space stations, persistant war over star systems like in Star Con2... it even has a simple but pretty 3D rts engine for planet assaults.

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001SPAR
You had me at Escape Velocity. I am so there.

The End

DonasaurusRex said:
disciples 2 +expansion packs if your into turn based strat....and if you odnt mind getting wtf pwned by the computer.

Man, that game has kicked the shit out of me so many times. I may pick up Dawn of War though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Parallax Scroll said:
You had me at Escape Velocity. I am so there.

There is a huge thread about this game at Octopus Overlords:

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14837

I've wanted to start a thread on here about it, but I'm, uh, not allowed to start threads (?).

Anyhow, the main game is played out from the same perspective as Escape Velocity, but it's turn-based. It's a "we-go" type system, as in every time you move the entire system moves at the same time. It works very well. Also, when engaging in combat, you can target your weapons and set yourself to pursue, and the game will automatically play forward until you want to pause to give orders again. The whole game almost feels like a hybrid realtime/turnbased system.

There are also action-based combat arenas where it controls exactly like StarCon2/Escape Velocity.

There is so much variety in the game it's awesome. There are even planet-side quests you can go on that play out like text adventures.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Parallax Scroll said:
That all sounds pretty awesome. I never played Elite or Star Control 2. Are they worth playing now?

Definately. Star Control 2 is quite old, but it is my #2 game of all time. So damn good.

Lucky for you, Toys for Bob released the source code, art and sound for the 3DO version (the best SKU) into open source.

A compiled version can be found here, called The Ur-Quan Masters:

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Sysgen

FlyinJ said:

Did a little digging and found a review at netjak

You haven't seen a lot of reviews out of me lately, and this game is the reason why. Not only is this my current pick for PC Game of the Year, and for Game of the Year all around, but this game just shot its way into my Top 20 Greatest of All Time.

Thanks for the tip.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
To clarify, the game is actually "Space Rangers 2".

The UK release is only called "Space Rangers", but it is actually Space Rangers 2. The UK release also includes Space Rangers 1 as a bonus on the DVD.

The gogamer link above, for "Space Rangers", is both 1&2, translated to English.

Space Rangers 1 was never translated or released in English as a seperate product.

golem

FlyinJ said:
To clarify, the game is actually "Space Rangers 2".

The UK release is only called "Space Rangers", but it is actually Space Rangers 2. The UK release also includes Space Rangers 1 as a bonus on the DVD.

The gogamer link above, for "Space Rangers", is both 1&2, translated to English.

Space Rangers 1 was never translated or released in English as a seperate product.
looks pretty cool... thanks for the heads up, ordered

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
artful_dodger said:

That's pretty funny... I went to the "Screenshot" section of that site, thinking it was a grammatical error.

But, there was, literally, one screenshot in the screenshot section.

Looks pretty cool though. How bad is the lag from the US?

Seems like a twitch-based MMO, and if the servers are in Korea I'm worried.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Adding to the recommendations for Rome: Total War. The core game has lots of flaws (and the expansion's not much better), but if you download the professional-quality Rome: Total Realism mod (which balances/deepens the gameplay, lets you play as tons of cool factions, redoes the graphics and music, and does this all in a historically-accurate way) the game is one of the greatest of all time.

Also check out Hearts of Iron 2 (the best WW2 game in existence, besides maybe Combat Mission) and Silent Hunter 3.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is also a AAA game at this point (it wasn't at released, but the patches, both official and fan-made, have changed that). Riddick, Psychonauts, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and any other number of cross-platform games have superior (and sometimes vastly superior) PC versions, with better controls, graphics, and extras.

I can keep recommending stuff (especially some old classics that you've probably missed), but that should get you started.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Chairman Yang said:
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is also a AAA game at this point (it wasn't at released, but the patches, both official and fan-made, have changed that).

Can you recommend which patches/fixes to look for? I'd really like to play this game.

Top Bottom