• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc is a strong platform, because it doesnt need next gen hardware

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The point of this post is, CAN YOU PLAY OLD GAMES, ON CURRENT SYSTEMS? Consoles had generation of upgrades. All on the OS part. PC didnt get that. Just windows upgrades, while supporting its old games. Let me Know when PS5 can play PS2 games like how pc does.
Sure the massive back catalog of generally compatible games is awesome, which is a direction consoles are going, but not quite there.

But we were talking about "needing next gen hardware"; your entire PC needs upgraded at times.. not just your GPU.. and if you don't upgrade your PC, well.. then it's not really a "current system".. so it's not much different than just having an old console.

But it's also not that difficult to just own old consoles; not as convenient, but I have a PS3 fat for instance.. and between that and PS5 I have 99% of all PS games covered.

kingfey

Banned
obviously You can play ps4 games on ps5 and ps2 games on ps2.
But nobody takes your old ps1,ps2,ps3 away after new gen comes out. If You REALLY want to replay these old games and don't want to get remakes/remasters... you can always hook it up and play.

And no - the argument - oh but your old ps1 can break over time does not apply... your pc can break too and new parts often introduce compatibility issues with old games.
First of all - I have no disc drive to play all my old pc games. 2nd - you think most of these old dos or win95 games just work? Getting need for speed 3 to run is a bitch for example.
It's not all sunshines.

Your theory is correct but only in principle
this isnt on principle.

This is what PC is in nature.

An old gen, that consistently evolves. unlike consoles, which gets upgrade every new iteration.

Your ps4 to ps5 is what pc has been doing since pc come out.

Its like using metal arms. You are getting more power from it. But its still your body. As long as these graphic cards, and cpue evolves, PC would be evolving with them. Since its the same thing since, MS announced their 1st windows.

Xbox is literally allowing you to support first and third party publishers by buying old games going all the way back to 2001.

Op drunk

Dream-Knife

Banned
obviously You can play ps4 games on ps5 and ps2 games on ps2.
But nobody takes your old ps1,ps2,ps3 away after new gen comes out. If You REALLY want to replay these old games and don't want to get remakes/remasters... you can always hook it up and play.

And no - the argument - oh but your old ps1 can break over time does not apply... your pc can break too and new parts often introduce compatibility issues with old games.
First of all - I have no disc drive to play all my old pc games. 2nd - you think most of these old dos or win95 games just work? Getting need for speed 3 to run is a bitch for example.
It's not all sunshines.

Your theory is correct but only in principle
I was playing quake 2 , wolfenstein enemy territory,, and the original ghost recon on my rdna 2 zen 3 system no problem. No weird setting changes, nothing. Just install and boot.
Well that game is 5 years old lol
Yep. As are most of the games people are still playing on PS4.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was playing quake 2 , wolfenstein enemy territory,, and the original ghost recon on my rdna 2 zen 3 system no problem. No weird setting changes, nothing. Just install and boot.

Yep. As are most of the games people are still playing on PS4.
preaching to choir.
I replayted RTCW, Max Payne and Half-life last year. Even on a crt haha.
That said - each one of them required some work.

Last time I played on my PC I booted up a game from 2003 and it refused to run on my system spec... like... at all.

Constant compatibility issues with particular configs with many older gamers isn't the 1000% universal compatibility nirvana that folks like the OP try to push.

PC gaming is much better than console sure for BC. But let's not overstate things or try to sell folks on a bad bill of goods, thank you very much.

Fuz

Banned
which is a direction consoles are going, but not quite there
Laugh Lol GIF

kingfey

Banned
Last time I played on my PC I booted up a game from 2003 and it refused to run on my system spec... like... at all.

Constant compatibility issues with particular configs with many older gamers isn't the 1000% universal compatibility nirvana that folks like the OP try to push.

PC gaming is much better than console sure for BC. But let's not overstate things or try to sell folks on a bad bill of goods, thank you very much.
What game is that? I can find the fix for you instantly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Weird. What issues were you having?
Half life I am talking about original and not source. That worked fine.
Rtcw had issue with resolution, fonts and freezing. Easily fixed.
Max Payne required fix because there was no sound. And fps cap since over 120 changed physics.

Generally it was ok but it's never install and go. Pcgamingwiki is a godsend

Dream-Knife

Banned
Max Payne required fix because there was no sound. And fps cap since over 120 changed physics.

Weird man. Never tried max Payne, but I didn't have any of those issues.

Did have to cap fps as it was going to 400+ and I was getting coil whine but the fans didn't need to ramp up as it was only using 20% utilization at 60w.

kingfey

Banned

Rockstar is shit, when its comes things like this. Gta san Andrea's got fucked by poor porting. Game looks shit. You have to ask uncle hat guy with a sword, for original game.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Xbox is literally allowing you to support first and third party publishers by buying old games going all the way back to 2001.
I was thinking the same.

Xbox is doing a good job for gamers and publishers and I would add Stadia (no more generations so the old games will always be available... in theory)

rnlval

Sir, its still incorrect as you can't just fucking run a dual core for life.

You can't just run the same ram....for life.

Sooooo I don't know where this fucking myth comes from, but you can't future proof a PC and be like "just need to change da GPUz".

Its simply false. You keep goal post moving and ignore all logic to force this, yet can't really answer who the fuck is out here playing ALL NEXT GEN GAMES, with a system that ONLY FUCKING HAD GPU changes.

So someone out here has a PC from 1995, where ONLY the GPU was changed? Ignores motherboard, ignores CPU bottleneck, ignores PCI express, ignores ram requirements etc. This is ignorance at its finest.

So no sir, you can't just have a PC and JUST change the GPU and think thats all that is needed to continue to play new games, that is simply something I hear from people who have not gamed on PC that long, as someone that literally used to build theses for a living and still builds for fun, you literally need to upgrade many things from gen to gen to play the newest games and many users have already stated. I'm not saying someone needs to upgrade all the time, I'm saying they need to still meet that requirement that changes every generation to play the newest games. New games simply do not have the same minimum specs for life, I have no clue who the fuck is even telling you this to even argue only a GPU is needed to change, as if nothing else changes over a generation.

You couldn't even get a 2013 high end PC, to play all next gen titles coming out without a few upgrades, you'd be lucky if JUST the GPU was needed, but because of different ram types, m.2 drives and many more, you are not simply going to see the next gen of game requirements, simply a different gpu, very unlikely sir.
The closest Y2013 CPU with 8 cores/16 threads and 256 bit hardware AVX v2 is Core i7-5960X Haswell-E which is released in Q3 2014.

Haswell-E's X99 chipset supports M.2 PCI-E 3.0 which is good enough for XSS/XSX's SSD performance.

rnlval

Dlss is only exclusive to nvidia cards. New gen hardware is AMD based. So they wont get it. This system is only exclusive to RTX cards from 20s series and 30s series. Its their way of saying, buy our new cards, and Fk you. While AMD has their own system, which supports even the GT1060.

Same thing as how DX12 would be mainly exclusive to Windows 11. MS said they would put it on windows 10. But I expect the full package to be fully exclusive to windows 11.
Microsoft has backtracked and announced DirectStorage API support for Windows 10.

Windows 11's new UI is for improved touch screen support and Android subsystem.

01-windows11-start-menu.png

Wondows-11-Start.jpg

kingfey

Banned
Microsoft has backtracked and announced DirectStorage API support for Windows 10.

Windows 11's new UI is for improved touch screen support and Android subsystem.

01-windows11-start-menu.png

Wondows-11-Start.jpg
That is why I said on windows 10 support. I doubt they have done the full future for windows 10.

They still need to have some value for windows 11. I expect them to with hold some dx12 features for windows 11. They are MS, they will 100% do it.

rnlval

It's usually game's 32 bit DRM driver-level software that fails on 64-bit Windows.

64-bit Windows doesn't allow 32-bit drivers.

rnlval

That is why I said on windows 10 support. I doubt they have done the full future for windows 10.

They still need to have some value for windows 11. I expect them to with hold some dx12 features for windows 11. They are MS, they will 100% do it.
The remaining value for Windows 11 is for 2-in-1 tablets/ultrabooks which is important for incoming AMD's 6 nm process node Rembrandt and Intel 7 nm process node Alder Lake APUs.

3rd party developer's MS API support is the major issue for Microsoft's backflip. Install base for DirectStorage API is important.

Valve's Proton follows the DirectX standards.

yamaci17

md ray sorry but you're overdramatizing

gtx 770/r9 270 and co. were released in 2012-2013 and they played games up to this year. only last year we saw some games really omit these out. 7 years are a long span for compability

games won't suddenly push dx12_2 right out of the gate. it will take years. metro exodus ee is an extreme exception, no developer can exert and enforce dx12_2 ray tracing requirements upon people in short term. it happened in metro exodus bcoz that game has a normal version that you can fall back to. you're not being locked out of that game. you're just being presented a better, nextgen version of it. just like cyberpunk but they decided to do it on another level for some marketing reason

games will have similar "normal" versions for 2-3 years. all dx12 compliant gpus like gtx 1060/rx570 will keep gaming 2-3 years. after 2-3 years, there may be native dx12_2 requiring games. and at that point, 1060/570 and co. will be 7-8 years old and people would've moved on already. i bet there will be some new budget king 1060 type of dx12_2 gpu at 200-300 dollar price tag

its true that at some point gpus get obsolete. but it takes very long. i never see any gpu go unsupported by games less than 5 years. maybe in 2000s. not in 2010s.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Every generation, consoles bring out new systems. Once a new system is out, the old system dies slowly, and devs won't earn money from it anymore.

But this is not the case for PC platform. You can play a 2000 game on pc, buy very old game, and still support the publisher, if they are still in the business.

What do you think gaffers?

Edit:
Mobile format is hard.

1: You can play very old games
2: You can play on your old pc.
3: you only need graphic card changes.
4: Publishers will still get money from the system.
5: Your games won't die out, until the store gets closed permanently.
6: Digital Pc rules, due to discounts.

Edit: People seem to think that you need specifically new graphics to play pc games. These graphic main job is to meet the game's requirements. It doesn't actually block you from accessing the game.
You can wait 10 years, and still able to access those games. You dont need to spend 1k to play these games.

Your new graphics can still play your old games. While the new console generation aren't able to play them. Since they get new stores system every generation.
Pc has 1 system generation, which is windows. As long as windows exist, those games will exist. How you access them, depends on you.

Yeah this should have ended the thread; I'm sure folk have already criticized this to hell and back but it definitely bears getting some more time in the sun.

. . .I mean it is just such a ridiculous statement and would be easily seen as such with just doing the smallest amount of investigating. I was in this exact same mindset and I couldn't understand why people with similar graphics cards to mine were getting far better returns and it turns out pairing new tech with old tech isn't going to get you a particularly good gaming experience. . .usually.

kingfey

Banned
The irony of this post is that you accuse me of not being able to read, all the while posting a video about optimising the game, which I already stated DOES NOT RUN AT ALL... i.e. won't even boot.

You're not very good at this, are you?
The video runs the game, yet you can't run the game???
Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

What do you exactly need?
Doesn't the video run the game? If it can run, why can't your device run?

You are confusing people too much.

Derktron

Banned
It's not a console but yes I do consider it next-gen hardware as you need to update to get the best possible experiences.

Pull n Pray

Banned
In terms of being able to buy old games, things are changing on consoles. Especially on Xbox where you can buy and play many games from the original Xbox (with resolution boost). And I expect all future consoles to have complete backward compatibility all the way back to the PS4/Xbox One generation.

Topher

Gold Member

It isn't uncommon for PC games to have different experiences/issues across different hardware. I've had instances in the past where older PC games wouldn't run. I'd research and find "fixes". Sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't. It happens.

Last edited:

Krathoon

There are some old games the have old DRM that will royally mess up Windows 10. I am looking at you Taito Legends 1 and 2. Also, some old games will run weird in a VM.

Krathoon

I tried to get Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe to run in a VM and each video clip wants to run in a separate window and the mouse is messed up. I don't want to run it in Windows 10 due to old DRM.

just compare the library of the steamdeck to switch, you are absolutely right op. PC gaming is only limited to a persons taste, the backlog of games and variety is unmatched.

Krathoon

PCs become a hassle when you try to get the original old game software to run on a modern OS. DOS games are actually allot easier to run due to Dosbox. Old Windows games, however, can be a pain.

Krathoon

I use Dfend Reloaded and can get a DOS game up and running in no time. ScummVM works great for running old adventure games.

You write this?!?!

And I'm confusing people.... I don't even. This entire post just makes no fucking sense.

"The video runs the game"...?

WTF?!?!... I don't even...

kingfey

Banned
You write this?!?!

And I'm confusing people.... I don't even. This entire post just makes no fucking sense.

"The video runs the game"...?

WTF?!?!... I don't even...
You said the game doesnt run on your computer. I gave you a fix guide. Then I showed you a video, which had the game is running on a pc.

its either you dont care about the fix, or you dont want to waste your time, reading those guides, which will help you fix the game.

You should have taken your hint, when I showed you the video. Because that video made your claim baseless, about how your pc cant run the game.

BTW, You could have fixed your game by now, instead of doing more pointless argument.

Top Bottom