• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PC piracy, one day stats, nay-sayers pwned"

kenta said:
WOW Assassin's Creed comes out on top!

CoD4 still going strong!!!!

Orange Box doesn't have legs :(

Anyone have LTD on Bioshock????

This one made me :lol Sorry.

It's sad though, the majority of PC gamers are pirates and that's a fact.

k79

Banned
Hellraizer said:
How about some stats for current console/handheld games, so we can compare.

I doubt however, that the console/handheld numbers are near the ones from the PC.

Just some random ps2/psp games on mininova:

Harry Potter: OTP - ps2 - 61,352
NFS:proStreet - ps2 - 45,630
MGS3 -subsistence - ps2 - 17,812
FFXII - ps2 - 12,261
PES2008 - ps2 - 9,873

God of War: CoO -psp - 20,283 (another torrent same game 9,873x downloaded)
PES2008 -psp - 6,820
Castlevania X Chr. -psp - 8,831

Too tired looking for other stuff ... x360 games is in the hundreds ... ps3 games, good luck finding them.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
No Means Nomad said:
Pirates have no standards.

And these are the pirates who like to collect every release just for the sake of ... having it.

Also i have to ask. Can you return a PC game to ebgames / gamestop etc if you dont like it? I know console games tend to have a 7 day return policy, but what about PC games?

laserbeam

Banned
Visualante said:
Bring on the piracy tax.

Think that already exists. Its paying premium prices for more often then not bargain bin quality.

evlcookie said:
And these are the pirates who like to collect every release just for the sake of ... having it.

Also i have to ask. Can you return a PC game to ebgames / gamestop etc if you dont like it? I know console games tend to have a 7 day return policy, but what about PC games?

PC Games when opened are no longer able to be returned. If the Seal on Box is broken its returnability is void and your left with crap.

Threi

notag
piracy downloads is rampant in the PC gaming industry.

Just last week i caught a friend of mine downloading piracy.

You don't want my nightmares people.

Let's all work together to stop the mass downloading of piracy, and build a better future for our kids.

Slavik81

ch0mp said:
Piracy is rampant all forms of information.
Fixed.

I'm sure the statistics are just as high for Movies, Music, and software of all kinds. I count 10 000 copies of Photoshop currently being pirated just on the first page of TPB.

The key to preventing piracy is to ensure that the legitimate version has something that pirates can't easily replicate. Make it extremely easy to re-install or something. I don't know. But the very WORST thing you can do is make pirated versions better than retail versions. That means no requiring CDs to be in the drive, no rootkits, no DRM bullshit that just pisses off legitimate users and that pirates avoid entirely in their illegal copies.

iTunes is successful because the store very nicely integrated into iTunes. The insistence on DRM-protected songs, however, severely weakens the appeal and gives pirates a reason to download a torrent. It's both easier and cheaper to just pirate a new CD than it is to download a CD from iTunes, burn it and re-import it to strip the DRM (thus making it compatible with other devices, like your Xbox, etc). It's fantastic that they're now moving away from hobbling their service.

iTunes does it. Steam does it.

Make your product better than what pirates can achieve.

Kosma

Banned
1) Assassin's Creed - 25734
2) Frontlines: Fuel of War - 12688
3) Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat - 8792
4) Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - 8402
5) Lost: Via Domus - 5883
6) Turning Point: Fall of Liberty - 5183
7) Sims 2 - 4026
8 ) The Club - 3672
9) Bioshock - 3489
10) The Witcher - 3121
11) Need for Speed ProStreet - 3061
12) Crysis - 2847
13) Conflict: Denied Ops - 2085
14) Neverwinter Nights 2 - 1893
15) Hellgate: London - 1750
16) World in Conflict - 1531
17) Stranglehold - 1459
18) The Orange Box - 1341
19) Age of Empires - 1099
20) Flat Out 2 - 1074

Even casuals can torrent it seems. Disturbing.

Christine

Slavik81 said:

Or at the very least, don't intentionally cripple it. It's kind of hard to provide any benefit that the pirates won't be able to use, but as you said it's dead easy to fuck your product in comparison to how the pirates will distribute it.

Burai

shitonmychest57
If you could wipe out piracy what would be the knock-on effect?

Speaking to people I know who are hardcore PC gamers who basically buy maybe 5 games a year max and pirate the rest, the consensus seems to be that if they couldn't steal the games, they wouldn't be happy to spend $thousands on hardware. The only way they can afford said hardware is by not spending money on games. If they couldn't do it, they'd either buy consoles (which are far cheaper) or give up on gaming altogether.

So if you wiped out piracy, your biggest impact would be on the hardware vendors who would see their market shrink dramatically leading to higher prices, a slow-down in R&D or both.

Which then starts pricing PC gaming out of the reach of even more legitimate consumers which would probably put developers into an even bigger mess than they are in right now.

zoku88

Burai said:

Speaking to people I know who are hardcore PC gamers who basically buy maybe 5 games a year max and pirate the rest, the consensus seems to be that if they couldn't steal the games, they wouldn't be happy to spend $thousands on hardware. The only way they can afford said hardware is by not spending money on games. If they couldn't do it, they'd either buy consoles (which are far cheaper) or give up on gaming altogether.

So if you wiped out piracy, your biggest impact would be on the hardware vendors who would see their market shrink dramatically leading to higher prices, a slow-down in R&D or both.

Which then starts pricing PC gaming out of the reach of even more legitimate consumers which would probably put developers into an even bigger mess than they are in right now.
Something tells me that that's not what would happen if all piracy was stamped out. What people say they will do and what people ACTUALLY do are two different things.

I don't pirate games, but have sometimes been tempted to do so by annoying anti-piracy measures. Those measures also keep me from feeling sorry for the companies being ripped off.

Also, in reference to the OP: movie piracy is even more rampant than PC game piracy, yet the home movie industry is the healthiest entertainment market in existance. Consoles also have rampant piracy (last gen was ridiculous), but thrive. Why should we think it's piracy killing the PC market, and not any of its other weaknesses?

I'm not condoning piracy at all. Pirates, theoretically, are ripping me off just as much as they are these publishers. What I'm questioning is the level of that theft. These stats prove nothing except that people are playing games they didn't pay for. That is not the same thing as "lost revenue", no matter how much you, Activision, or whomever wish it to be.

YYZ

Something needs to happen with Steam, but everyone wants their big piece of the pie even if it means there will be no more pies in the near future. Gabe Newell had the vision to do what he and his company did so he should get the most out of it while helping out PC gaming.

I'm also wondering what this PC Gaming Alliance is going to do.

itxaka

Defeatist
k79 said:
Just some random ps2/psp games on mininova:

Harry Potter: OTP - ps2 - 61,352
NFS:proStreet - ps2 - 45,630
MGS3 -subsistence - ps2 - 17,812
FFXII - ps2 - 12,261
PES2008 - ps2 - 9,873

God of War: CoO -psp - 20,283 (another torrent same game 9,873x downloaded)
PES2008 -psp - 6,820
Castlevania X Chr. -psp - 8,831

Too tired looking for other stuff ... x360 games is in the hundreds ... ps3 games, good luck finding them.

360 games, go to a xbox only tracker and you will see. 25000? thats nothing compared to the day halo3 got released. Madness, never seen so many people download anything like that.

I have seen people downloading PS3 isos on a well know invitation-only page. There are people that just love to download things, even when useless.

Burai

shitonmychest57
zoku88 said:
Something tells me that that's not what would happen if all piracy was stamped out. What people say they will do and what people ACTUALLY do are two different things.

Not really. People only have so much cash they can spend on their entertainment. At the moment PC gaming gives them the best bang-per-buck thanks to piracy. Take that away and they'll soon find something else to spend that money on.

Slavik81

Visualante said:
Bring on the piracy tax.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blank_media_levy

Wikipedia said:
On 2007-9, Canadian Recording Industry Association filed lawsuit to Federal Court of Appeal to repeal private copying levy, claiming it legalizes copying for the private use of the person making the copy, regardless of whether the source is non-infringing or not.[5] On 2007-10-26, the court granted CRIA's request to intervene in the private copying/iPod levy judicial review.[6]
You open a big can of worms with something like that...

It exists in Canada, among other places. We currently have one on R/RW CDs ($0.21), but the $2 - $20 levy on MP3 players was revoked a while ago. They've recently failed to introduce a levy for SD cards and such as well, so it looks like our (Canada's) blank media levy is being phased out by technological advance.

YYZ

Leondexter said:
Also, in reference to the OP: movie piracy is even more rampant than PC game piracy, yet the home movie industry is the healthiest entertainment market in existance. Consoles also have rampant piracy (last gen was ridiculous), but thrive. Why should we think it's piracy killing the PC market, and not any of its other weaknesses?
Comparing movies and games does not work. The theater is a long-established tradition for all demographics. They also have the DVD market which is fucking HUGE. Transformers alone sold over $300 million+ on DVD, that's insane.

Fularu

Banned
This post is meaningless and any one with even half a brain will tell you that the figures shown or presented in the original post aren't backable by any kind of serious math/study.

First, a LOT of people downloading games do it for collecting purpose and never play said downloaded game. You have a LOT of people like that; who absolutely HAVE to have everything that comes out under the sun.

Second the math used (hey lets for the sake of our argument make a claim that would back it up while beeing incredibly stupid and having no root in reality) has no logic or validity. True, piracy is rather high on PC, but to say that every person who is playing (or trying) your game in a pirated way is a lost customer is wrong, and that logic has been proven false a lot of times.

Yes piracy is harming the gaming industry, but it's nowhere near as stupidly high as what the OP says.

Burai

shitonmychest57
YYZ said:
Comparing movies and games does not work. The theater is a long-established tradition for all demographics. They also have the DVD market which is fucking HUGE. Transformers alone sold over $300 million+ on DVD, that's insane.

Why doesn't it work? You've given examples of how an industry can thrive in the face of massive piracy. What makes gaming so special that it can't be compared?

k79

Banned
itxaka said:
360 games, go to a xbox only tracker and you will see. 25000? thats nothing compared to the day halo3 got released. Madness, never seen so many people download anything like that.

I have seen people downloading PS3 isos on a well know invitation-only page. There are people that just love to download things, even when useless.

Well i was just randomly checking some titles, it wasnt really a thorough look.

So, what exactly were you doing on that well known invitation-only page?

Slavik81 said:
iTunes does it. Steam does it.

This is correct. Also, implement anti-piracy measures, not anti-consumer measures. What ever happened to the idea of flooding the piracy sites with non-working copies? That's an anti-piracy measure. A CD key is not.

Burai said:

Your theory is far-fetched. The likely real-world effect of no piracy would be a small downturn in hardware sales and a small boost in software sales. That's about it.

zoku88

Burai said:
Not really. People only have so much cash they can spend on their entertainment. At the moment PC gaming gives them the best bang-per-buck thanks to piracy. Take that away and they'll soon find something else to spend that money on.
Since you've already revealed that they at least buy some pc games, then they obviously have an interesting in PC gaming. Thus, why they buy the hardware.

I seriously doubt piracy would change that, despite what they told you.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
You'd think that if piracy was as common as this article claims, more people would play PC games (even if they didn't pay for them) and there would be less anti-PC ignorance around.

Burai

shitonmychest57
zoku88 said:
Since you've already revealed that they at least buy some pc games, then they obviously have an interesting in PC gaming. Thus, why they buy the hardware.

I seriously doubt piracy would change that, despite what they told you.

Well if I was to take my own experience, I found back in 2004 that the amount I was spending on PC gaming was far too much for the enjoyment I was getting out of it. So I got rid of everything, bought a Mac and went console-only.

Never underestimate the value of money in the face of a passtime. Hell, I love sports cars. Doesn't mean I'm likely to ever own one!

Immortal_Daemon said:
The stats prove both points, from the looks of it....

Look at the day-one piracy of Crysis.
Then look at the day-one sales.

The sales were significantly higher, and it was supposed to be a godsend of a game.

As for assuming the downloading remains constant over 3 months (in reference to CoD4) that's absolutely laughable; regardless of whether they say it's logical or not.

No game retains day-one downloads for a span of multiple months.
one day, not day one. these were from earlier this week, so the calculation being constant would be a very lowball figure.

Proc

Piracy, as well as hacking should be taught to students at an early age. With awareness, there will be stronger ethical judgment (at least I'd like to think so). People aren't evil, they just don't see the damage they are doing in a clear light.

Burai said:
Speaking to people I know who are hardcore PC gamers who basically buy maybe 5 games a year max and pirate the rest, the consensus seems to be that if they couldn't steal the games, they wouldn't be happy to spend $thousands on hardware. The only way they can afford said hardware is by not spending money on games. If they couldn't do it, they'd either buy consoles (which are far cheaper) or give up on gaming altogether..

They can steal the computers then.

Haunted

So did some of the "piracy is killing PC gaming" people respond to the equally high/higher 360/PS2 numbers on that same torrent page?

Why is it always PC gaming that is doomed and dying (since 10 years™)?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Going after individual pirates is useless, I think they need to go to the root of the problem and that is the people who release these pirated games and the people who give people access to downloading these games (sites like the Piratebay, Mininova etc.)

market's changed developers, up to you to quit bitching about it and find a way to deal with it. Ya its harsh and not necessarily fair, but that's business. Adapt or die.

itxaka

Defeatist
k79 said:
Well i was just randomly checking some titles, it wasnt really a thorough look.

So, what exactly were you doing on that well known invitation-only page?

Vintage game magazines for the 80´s, 90´s. Pure gold.

BTW, In Spain there is a tax on CD, DVD, video players, music players, phones, almost everything that can be used for pirating, that is used to pay the "affected" ones for the piracy. Too bad, for the moment is used for a mafia-like RIIA that only pays music "artist" that are affiliated with them.

{Mike} said:
Well, PC gaming has been dead for at least a decade anyway. Who cares when you have everything with good controllers on consoles now. Also, you don't have to install (except some titles recently on PS3), which is also a plus. PC brings nothing, except for fans of FPS games that can't adapt to controllers.

Now that Snah and tjhooker are gone, you sir, rise to the top of the shit pile as Worst Poster on GAF. By a good green country mile.

Top Bottom