• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PC piracy, one day stats, nay-sayers pwned"

ch0mp

{Mike} said:
Well, PC gaming has been dead for at least a decade anyway. Who cares when you have everything with good controllers on consoles now. Also, you don't have to install (except some titles recently on PS3), which is also a plus. PC brings nothing, except for fans of FPS games that can't adapt to controllers.

No matter how many times you say it, a crappy little thumb stick is still no substitute for a M/KB.

syllogism

Those aren't one day stats unless I'm missing something. By the way, Assassin's creed 360 has been pirated 45000 times via sites listed on mininova alone.

squatingyeti said:
Yeah, when a burnable DL BD starts costing less than $15, the piracy will begin. At this moment in time, it's just not worth it to them. You'd pay more for the disc than just buying the game.

I don't think there's any way to play backed up BDs yet anyways.

{Mike} said:
Well, PC gaming has been dead for at least a decade anyway. Who cares when you have everything with good controllers on consoles now. Also, you don't have to install (except some titles recently on PS3), which is also a plus. PC brings nothing, except for fans of FPS games that can't adapt to controllers.
:lol :lol How retarded are you?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Ashhong said:
i used to believe that. but the ps3 is going on 1 year and a half with no solution in sight yet. plus its not like people can just burn copies of it. who knows...

You know how long the Gamecube took to break, right ? Even so, there have been small advancements in breaking through the PS3. And of course most guys tend to keep whatever they are working on in a small group, its very rarely public untill its doing -something- interesting.

And since you can replace the HDD in the PS3 with any size, the price of BR discs wouldnt bother people, since they will just use a HDloader equiv for PS3.

SupahBlah

Banned
evlcookie said:
It wont. Hacker's / Homebrewer's will always want to get their shit working on new hardware. It's a challange to them, its what they love.

I remember watching a video of a hackers convention saying with the PS3 having a linux install a lot of them don't see the point in cracking it.

diddlyD

Banned
Snaku said:
Question. If the bomb was dropped a good distance away, would my head survive in the sand?

the sand would turn to glass which means you'd live in a glass house so don't try to kill two birds in the bush by throwing stones

Speevy

Banned
The Wii is dying, but sales of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess are up 1,000%. Must be a great game.

Onemic

Woo-Fu said:
Pirate excuse #1008, "I wasn't going to buy it anyways, so your torrent figures are meaningless."

I swear I hear that every time this discussion comes up.

Chances are though, they wouldn't have.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
SupahBlah said:
I remember watching a video of a hackers convention saying with the PS3 having a linux install a lot of them don't see the point in cracking it.

Well they can use linux to actually backup games into an iso format, they do exist out in the internet, but of course they dont actually do anything.

The problem with simply pulling torrent numbers, plugging your ears and shouting LALALALAONEMILLIONDOWNLOADSLALALALALA is that it doesn't take into account what percentage of those downloads are actually lost sales and there's no way even half of those numbers are people who would have purchased the game if we lived in a world where there was no way for them to obtain it illegally.

People like free shit and they hate spending money. Hoarding of the former is most often times a reactionary result of the latter.

How about some stats for current console/handheld games, so we can compare.

I doubt however, that the console/handheld numbers are near the ones from the PC.

Onemic

{Mike} said:

Honestly STFU and GTFO

bjork

Narag said:
Can I party up with you and if so, are you willing to die if you contract typhoid or break your leg? Oregon or bust, baby.

I'm gonna solo my way to Oregon, baby. Me and my oxen.

Jenga

Banned
Hellraizer said:
How about some stats for current console/handheld games, so we can compare.

I doubt however, that the console/handheld numbers are near the ones from the PC.
Actually, while being nowhere close, the number of R4/Flashcards sold for the DS would be interesting to see. Add in the fact they're nearly all used for pirating, and they can pirate just about any and all DS game, that amounts to a lot of lost revenue for Nintendo/Devs. Well, if you think that piracy equals lost sales for every game anyways.

Snaku

Banned
diddlyD said:
the sand would turn to glass which means you'd live in a glass house so don't try to kill two birds in the bush by throwing stones

But the super advanced civilization that's birthed from said nuclear holocaust could revive my head with a cyborg body, right?

Jenga

Banned
Snaku said:
But the super advanced civilization that's birthed from said nuclear holocaust could revive my head with a cyborg body, right?
it'll probably be a cyborg cockroach body fyi

Minsc

Gold Member
For fun, I searched Assassin's Creed, reverse sorted by leechers, and the highest torrent only had 4500 (you can't add them all up, because they may be the same people downloading via multiple torrents).

These numbers from the OP are pretty wrong I think. For comparison sake, the highest leeched episode of LOST had a total of 8000.

It's just as illegal to download a torrent of LOST as Assassin's Creed, so I don't really know what to make of it. I'm not arguing PC piracy isn't downright ridiculous and awful, because it is, but just trying to put some other numbers next to it, and seeing that LOST outnumbers Assassin's Creed, well, that lessens the point of this source to me.

++ on the point about pirated copies not translating to sales though. The pirates would just not have the game, I doubt the vast majority would purchase if they couldn't pirate.

Truespeed

Of that number, what percentage do you think would have actually paid the $50 to buy the game? I'm guessing less than 5.

Does this count full downloads or does it include those who download the trackers but get fed up waiting for all 6 or so gigs to download too?

I_D

The stats prove both points, from the looks of it....

Look at the day-one piracy of Crysis.
Then look at the day-one sales.

The sales were significantly higher, and it was supposed to be a godsend of a game.

As for assuming the downloading remains constant over 3 months (in reference to CoD4) that's absolutely laughable; regardless of whether they say it's logical or not.

No game retains day-one downloads for a span of multiple months.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Truespeed said:
Of that number, what percentage do you think would have actually paid the $50 to buy the game? I'm guessing less than 5.

How many actually played it past the first level ? How many got it to see if it would run on their systems ? How many got it just for the sake of having it, burnt it to a disc and threw it in a folder with the rest of their collection (yes people do that) ?

The problem with piracy is that its all just questions and no answers.

Slavik81

Credible pirating naysayers have never once denied that piracy is rampant. This thread is pretty pointless, because it 'pwns' a handful of idiots.

Jenga

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
Pirate excuse #1008, "I wasn't going to buy it anyways, so your torrent figures are meaningless."

I swear I hear that every time this discussion comes up.
Uh, it's a legit explanation. Unless we have some hard evidence that piracy = lost sales, we can't say that piracy alone is killing PC gaming. Slowing it down? Causing trouble for devs? Sure.

EDIT: Also, I love how you imply anyone that offers that explanation is a pirate :(

The thing is that whether the perp would have paid for the game or not means JACK SHIT. Yes, it leads to bogus figures from the industry but the real fact for a developer is this:

If you don't obtain the game through legal means, then you shouldn't have the pleasure of playing it, REGARDLESS of whether you would have bought it in the first place. It's about principal more than money, IMO. You're still stealing.

Slavik81

evlcookie said:
How many actually played it past the first level ? How many got it to see if it would run on their systems ? How many got it just for the sake of having it, burnt it to a disc and threw it in a folder with the rest of their collection (yes people do that) ?

Is it illegal to download isos of Microsoft Windows if you use a valid, legal CD-key with them? I may or may not have 'pirated' windows a few times upon forgetting my CD at home.

Of course, I later realized I could download those isos directly from Microsoft.

NekoFever

laserbeam said:
The PS3 will until the Blu Ray Burners become cheaper. At that point piracy will boom there. The Storage capacity is all that restricts it now
Yeah, the lack of UMD burners really stifled PSP piracy.

Truespeed

evlcookie said:

So a simple statistical analysis of the question wouldn't yield an answer? I think it would regardless of the game you're talking about.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Dr. Zoidberg said:
The thing is that whether the perp would have paid for the game or not means JACK SHIT.
It's certainly important if the question is "Exactly how much does piracy hurt game sales?" which is what this thread seems to be about. The numbers in the OP only show that many people are pirating (which as someone said earlier is a "Duh" point to make); how much piracy contributes to the "death" of PC gaming is a much harder question to answer for the very reason you stated above.

Slavik81

Truespeed said:
So a simple statistical analysis of the question wouldn't yield an answer? I think it would regardless of the game you're talking about.
It would, but I've never seen such a statistical analysis.

There was a thread a couple months ago, though. It suggested that for every 1000 pirates that were deterred by increased copy-protection, sales increased by 1.

Of course, that was a very small game and a single study case. You'd need a much more comprehensive study to make a good conclusion and I don't know if one exists.

{Mike} said:
You are an ignorant fuck.

ch0mp

Piracy is rampant all forms of gaming.

[PSP]God of War Chains of Olympus[USA][ESPALPSP com] rar
Added: 1 days ago
Share ratio: 1990 seeds, 7089 leechers
Downloads: 20,190

God Of War Chains Of Olympus [English][PSP][WwW GamesTorrents CoM] t3872
Added: 1 days ago
Share ratio: 1315 seeds, 3334 leechers
Downloads: 9,824

[PSP]Need For Speed Prostreet[EUR][ESPALPSP com] rar
Added: 16 days ago
Share ratio: 983 seeds, 1039 leechers
Downloads: 28,046

[PSP]Pro Evolution Soccer 2008[EUR][MULTi5][ESPALPSP com] rar
Added: 9 days ago
Share ratio: 1066 seeds, 1583 leechers
Downloads: 15,862

Super Mario Galaxy PAL Wii-WiiZARD [SpatorrenT CoM] [myBittorrent com]
Added: 65 days ago
Share ratio:114 seeds, 444 leechers
Downloads: 13,496

SuperMarioGalaxy-USA-Wii
Added: 92 days ago
Share ratio: 81 seeds, 252 leechers
Downloads: 15,809

Need for Speed ProStreet [ENG][MULTi2][DVD][PAL][PS2-RoME]
Added: 104 days ago
Share ratio: 171 seeds, 733 leechers
Downloads: 45,630

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 [MULTI2][PS2DVD][WwW GamesTorrents CoM]
Added: 137 days ago
Share ratio: 143 seeds, 355 leechers
Downloads: 70,800

There was more then 1 or 2 for most but I'm not going to bother with them all.

Jenga said:
Uh, it's a legit explanation. Unless we have some hard evidence that piracy = lost sales, we can't say that piracy alone is killing PC gaming. Slowing it down? Causing trouble for devs? Sure.

EDIT: Also, I love how you imply anyone that offers that explanation is a pirate :(

Sounds like pirate talk to me.

Rayne.S

Banned
sigh .... was this ever any different ? Anybody remember actually buying C64 games, Amiga Games, Atari ST Games ?

Truth of the matter is PC gaming will need to evolve......

In my shops PC gaming takes up a BUNCH of resources and yet doesn't do anything to warrant the use of space and money. Well, at least the regular sales of Wow prepaid cards pay for the PC stock as is :lol

Jenga

Banned
Rayne.S said:
sigh .... was this ever any different ? Anybody remember actually buying C64 games, Amiga Games, Atari ST Games ?

Truth of the matter is PC gaming will need to evolve......

In my shops PC gaming takes up a BUNCH of resources and yet doesn't do anything to warrant the use of space and money. Well, at least the regular sales of Wow prepaid cards pay for the PC stock as is :lol
*cough* digital distribution *cough*

Truespeed

It is interesting, though, how the Jimmy Swaggart alter boys find a way to chastise game piracy, but conveniently find a loophole to condone their personal mp3 and divx collection.

Don't want to spoil the party but those stats don't mean shit.

Only stats that would give any kind of reliable numbers are something like # of finished downloads from the 10 biggest trackers(mininova isn't even a tracker, more like google but for torrents). And the REAL numbers are impossible to get(cross tracker posting, private trackers etc etc). One of the points of torrents is thats it's impossible to get any kind of solid info from them except which file, size and so on.

Until the stats are reliable is there even any point in debating about them?

Something tells me most of these discussions is just an excuse for people to say that PC gaming is dead, which is kind of absurd really.

SexConker

Banned
Why the denial?
Piracy is a huge detriment to the PC gaming industry.

Piracy != lost sales?
Bullshit.
The majority of piracy is done in the first month as internet slobs froth at the mouth F5ing and wait for "the scene" to give them the goods. There is both demand and anticipation. To say that none of these people would go out and BUY these games if they couldn't pirate is naive.

The main reason people pirate things is because they want them.
People don't sit there and say "This game is shit, but I'll help seed it.".
People don't go around downloading shitty games they don't want and don't plan to play.

Top 6 Reasons People Pirate Games:

6. Backup Copy / Lost Old Copy
5. Old / Hard To Find Game
4. No DRM
3. Want A "Demo" / Test If PC Can Handle It
2. Can Get It Before Release
1. Free

That's all there is to it folks.
Pirates have no one but themselves to blame for numbers 6, 1, and 4.
A small bit of effort will solve 5.
A small bit of patience will solve 2.
Most major titles have demos, clearly defined specs, and performance reviews for number 3.

ch0mp

Rayne.S said:

Don't think I ever saw a legit game for c64/amiga.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
# of Pirates does not automatically mean loss sales. Simply comparing the numbers gets you nowhere.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
SexConker said:
Piracy != lost sales?
Bullshit.
Only an imbecile would deny this, but that's not the question. The question is, "How much does piracy impact sales?"

To your other point: of course people pirate games they want to play, but did they want to play them enough/do they have the means to have bought them had piracy not existed? That's not easy to answer.

Top Bottom