• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PC piracy, one day stats, nay-sayers pwned"

To be honest most of the people who pirated these games wouldn't buy them anyway. Not all, but most. When it's "download for free" or "pay $50" people will download for free or not play it at all. It's not like they NEED to play these games; there's plenty of other stuff they could be doing with their free time. In fact because they're getting them all for free in some cases I bet people play the game for only a short period of time before moving onto something else. I'm not defending piracy I'm just saying the 993,000 total number for COD4 doesn't mean that COD4 would have plus that much in sales if it wasn't for piracy. Is piracy hurting the industry though? Yes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Synth_floyd said:
To be honest most of the people who pirated these games wouldn't buy them anyway. Not all, but most. When it's "download for free" or "pay $50" people will download for free or not play it at all. It's not like they NEED to play these games; there's plenty of other stuff they could be doing with their free time. In fact because they're getting them all for free in some cases I bet people play the game for only a short period of time before moving onto something else. I'm not defending piracy I'm just saying the 993,000 total number for COD4 doesn't mean that COD4 would have plus that much in sales if it wasn't for piracy. Is piracy hurting the industry though? Yes.

This is true. But whilst they might not buy 10 games where they download 10 games now, they might buy 1 or 2, which itself would be an improvement. Whilst they can get everything for free, they'll buy none at all.

gofreak said:
This is true. But whilst they might not buy 10 games where they download 10 games now, they might buy 1 or 2, which itself would be an improvement. Whilst they can get everything for free, they'll buy none at all.

Weakest argument in existance. My friends are the biggest piraters of all time, and the ones they can't (CS:S, CoD4) they wind up buying. Most pirates will end up paying for what they can't get for free.

Ferrio

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
Weakest argument in existance. My friends are the biggest piraters of all time, and the ones they can't (CS:S, CoD4) they wind up buying. Most pirates will end up paying for what they can't get for free.

Wasn't the case for me when i pirated. I only could afford so much due to college, So I only bought what I perceived as the best games. If anything interested me outside of that I'd pirate.

It's kinda shame that most likely that PC's market's biggest demographic is their poorest.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
IronicallyTwisted said:

OK, let me rephrase..they won't buy anything they can get for free. Maybe they can't get everything for free..

But of the "anything they can get for free"...while they might never buy 10 games where they can download 10, if they couldn't do that they'd probably buy some games, even if it were only 1 or 2 where they'd previously downloaded 10. If these people suddenly couldn't pirate anymore, I doubt they'd stop gaming completely. They probably would buy 1 or 2 games where they wouldn't have before..even if they don't suddenly start buying dozens of games in the same way they would have pirated dozens of games before. There'd still be a gain for the industry.

Let's be honest here for a second.

You really want to know why PC gaming has been in a percepted decline in recent years? Because the big developers who used to produce triple A titles exclusively for PC and at best made a mediocre port for consoles turned their greedy backs on PC gaming, started to prefer consoles and developed for them first and left PC gamers with shitty ports.

That's the sole fucking reason and nothing else. All these shithead companies that made once striving PC franchises into sissyfied retardo console games. PC gamers don't like that and don't buy shitty ports. Hey, listen CoD developers: You fuckheads are one of the prime examples. The first CoD on PC was great and sold very well. Then you fucked up the franchise and now want us to lick your dirty boots for the bad aftertaste that is the PC version of CoD4? Right. Please don't develop for PC anymore, we don't want your analog stick shooters.

There you have it. Make PC games that take advantage of its superior hardware and input methods, give us something exclusive that pushes the envelope and we'll buy it. We won't buy shitty german wanna be FPS with trashy level design and artwork from Turkey, though. If you won't produce it we can't buy it and you better shut your stupid face about meaningless Kazaa statistics to justify your switch to Xbox-micropayment-live.

Frenck

Banned
James Power said:

You really want to know why PC gaming has been in a percepted decline in recent years? Because the big developers who used to produce triple A titles exclusively for PC and at best made a mediocre port for consoles turned their greedy backs on PC gaming, started to prefer consoles and developed for them first and left PC gamers with shitty ports.

That's the sole fucking reason and nothing else. All these shithead companies that made once striving PC franchises into sissyfied retardo console games. PC gamers don't like that and don't buy shitty ports. Hey, listen CoD developers: You fuckheads are one of the prime examples. The first CoD on PC was great and sold very well. Then you fucked up the franchise and now want us to lick your dirty boots for the bad aftertaste that is the PC version of CoD4? Right. Please don't develop for PC anymore, we don't want your analog stick shooters.

There you have it. Make PC games that take advantage of its superior hardware and input methods, give us something exclusive that pushes the envelope and we'll buy it. We won't buy shitty german wanna be FPS with trashy level design and artwork from Turkey, though. If you won't produce it we can't buy it and you better shut your stupid face about meaningless Kazaa statistics to justify your switch to Xbox-micropayment-live.

Crysis hater confirmed?

1-D_FTW

James Power said:

How bout we get more honest and realize the only reason most of those "greedy" PC developers release anything at all on the PC, is because they can do a quick and dirty port from the console game. And without that ease, they would have completely abandoned the platform. Pirates are what killed the PC platform. Some people used to deny it was occurring, but it gets more obvious every year. These are businesses. If your customers constantly pirate your shit, of course you're gonna move on. It stand to reason that as games become uber expense to make, you either better have a paying customer base, or find a new business.

Yeah, you could make things more difficult with a Steam like platform, but not every developer was an early MS employee with more money than God. You can't take 5 years to develop a game and release it on a custom platform built from the ground up. You'd go bankrupt before you finished.

itsgreen

Piracy is a tricky business.

On the one side you have the author/artist/developer who should be payed for his work.

On the other side you have a user who doesn't see any harm in what he is doing, because it is a 1 to 1 copy and it is not stealing in the traditional sense.

But he is using the artwork and so should pay, on the other hand he most likely will not have bought the full copy if it wasn't free.

1-D_FTW said:
How bout we get more honest and realize the only reason most of those "greedy" PC developers release anything at all on the PC, is because they can do a quick and dirty port from the console game. And without that ease, they would have completely abandoned the platform. Pirates are what killed the PC platform. Some people used to deny it was occurring, but it gets more obvious every year. These are businesses. If your customers constantly pirate your shit, of course you're gonna move on. It stand to reason that as games become uber expense to make, you either better have a paying customer base, or find a new business.

Yeah, you could make things more difficult with a Steam like platform, but not every developer was an early MS employee with more money than God. You can't take 5 years to develop a game and release it on a custom platform built from the ground up. You'd go bankrupt before you finished.

No, that's my whole point. They switched to console not because of ominous pirates but because development is easier and they can earn more money. Maybe even just get money for the fact that they release their game on a Microsoft or Sony hardware. They made the first move, not the "pirates". And now that they lowered their quality standards they are complaining that their shitty ports aren't selling on the original platform anymore. Well guess what. You might be able to sell shitfaced ports of some PC FPS on a console because these people don't know any better and still believe that an analog stick can provide anything near what a FPS experience is meant to be. But the other way around it doesn't work. It's like Microsofts failing attempt to get PC gamers to suddenly pay for online gaming when they had it for free all those years.

Go on and develop for consoles exclusively but just don't come here and complain about pirates or other fantasies of yours.

TheExodu5

Banned
{Mike} said:
Well, PC gaming has been dead for at least a decade anyway. Who cares when you have everything with good controllers on consoles now. Also, you don't have to install (except some titles recently on PS3), which is also a plus. PC brings nothing, except for fans of FPS games that can't adapt to controllers.

I hope you get banned.

{Mike}
Banned

:lol

Slavik81

James Power said:

It has less to do with that than it does with ease-of-use. System requirements just be a single consolidated thing. Right now, when you look at the box, you have to know about 10 facts about your computer and, even worse, you need to know if your ATI X1950 is better or worse than a GeForce 6000 Series graphics card or your 9781 Intel Integrated Pro card (or something like that).

That's why PC gaming's not taken off. Too complicated.
And useless integrated graphics cards don't help, either. It basically ensures that mountains of people who might incidentally play PC games on their PC if they worked can't play anything at all because they didn't specifically buy their computer to play games.

Xrenity

WrikaWrek said:
Sad part?

Assassins Creed isn't out yet.
Well, they couldn't have gone out and buy it yet.

I read lots of people on other boards tried it and actually confirmed their purchase because of this leaked early build.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Slavik81 said:
Right now, when you look at the box, you have to know about 10 facts about your computer.
I'd be interested in knowing what these 10 facts are.

Slavik81

Ikuu said:
I'd be interested in knowing what these 10 facts are.
Oh, I'm sorry. Not counting driver versions, it's only 8. Oh, but you need to know 5 additional attributes of your video card. Look, I match all the attributes and yet still fail, as I'm just sort of a 6800 vanilla! Hurrah.

So there's actually 13.

System Requirements Lab: Assassin's Creed
SystemRequirements.gif

EDIT: Oh, I get it now. You guys thought I was some sort of closed-minded console-only fanboy who doesn't understand PCs? If that's what you were thinking, you've got it wrong. I'm an electrical engineering student. Basically the opposite. I built a computer last weekend. We write assembly-level code and study microprocessors.

But my computer ease-of-use test is 'can my mom do it'? That's how easy it needs to be. My mom can say "This is a Wii game. He has a Wii. He can play it, although he might not like it." My mom cannot say "This is a PC game requiring the equivilient of a Nvidea Geforce 5600 or better, a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 processor or better, 512MB of RAM, Windows XP and 6GB of hard drive space as a minimum. with a Nvidea Geforce 6800 or better, a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor or better, 1GB of RAM, Windows XP and 6GB of hard drive space recommended. He has a computer with an ATI 1950X graphics card, a 1.9GHz AMD Athalon, with 1GB of RAM, Windows XP Pro and 60GB of free hard drive space. It will run, although he might not like it..."

Top Bottom