• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

mclaren777 said:
Another look at the Lotus 49 from CARS, all 250k polygons of it.

And apparently Slightly Mad Studios will be launching the project's website in a few weeks.

ahvqK.jpg

KOfiy.jpg

Gawd dayum....

If we're getting this, in real time, while racing our way to the top, then I'm in. I'm just in, dude.

Kyaw

Somehow, i just don't think it will looking like that real time.

Those reflections look way too realistic for real time :(

Dunno though, it might look that good but will need to be toned down for competitive online play.

Arucardo

Kyaw said:
Somehow, i just don't think it will looking like that real time.

Those reflections look way too realistic for real time :(

Dunno though, it might look that good but will need to be toned down for competitive online play.

The model seen in the previews is made up of around 250.000 polygons and will run in-game in this kind of quality, thanks to DirectX 11 and the complexity of the used shaders as SMS is aiming to set a new benchmark in visual quality. Aside from pushing the limits in terms of graphics, the studio is also putting equal efforts into the input & physics department.
Who knows, it just might look like that :) .

Shawsie64

Banned
Great thread, thanks for putting it together :)

Man I miss RBR might have to re-install it tonight.. Never got round to trying Netkar but it looks great Ill buy on pay day

mblitek

First off, thanks very much for the post outlining all the different racing sims available. from your list I say I knew about 65% of them but I haven't bothered getting into them as I didn't know the strengths and weaknesses of each one. But it definitely looks like I'll have to get R.B.R. as soon as possible :)

also, as a quadriplegic who develops my own controller and find it very frustrating when games don't come with re mappable buttons a.k.a. Need for Speed: Shift, I think I will definitely become an investor for C.A.R.S. Thus, this way I will be able to influence my opinion on accessibility and this importance is not just for people with disabilities but everyone has their own preference, especially for racing Sims.

Looks like I will definitely be downloading some of the demos in seeing which ones I like best!

Thanks again!

jiggles

Banned
I have an rFactor disc floating around that I got with my graphics card. Wonder is it the full game. I must dig it out, I had no idea what it was when I put it away.

Edit: Actually, I think it came with my G25.

mclaren777

opticalmace said:
I have a logitech driving force gt. Would it work with most of these games?
Yep, probably all of them. Just make sure to install the Logitech drivers before plugging it in.

I really like iRacing but you really don't get a whole lot of value for the base $15/mo. Your $15/mo. basically gets you a demo version of the game- two racing series consisting of one car and two tracks each.

If you want to go beyond that, you're forced to buy a lot of high-priced DLC. The next series up in the road series only needs one $15 track, but the series after that will require you to fork over about $120 to purchase the DLC needed to compete in the entire thing.

The racing itself is great and well-moderated though.

Grayman

I really need to fix my wheel or buy a new one. The accelerator input is glitchy, I temporarily fixed it by opening the pedals up cleaning them and crimping the connections tight but it has gone sour again.

I have played a lot of the games from the first post in demo or free form. Racer had some non race environments that were really enjoyable to drive around. I downloaded a series of mountain roads with a few intersections once. Do any of the harder sims have that available as a mod?

I was thinking about buying the Retro expansion for RACE07 but have held off for wheel repair and also thinking that I could get rFactor or the sequel and get more for my buck.

AcridMeat

Banned
Grayman said:
I really need to fix my wheel or buy a new one. The accelerator input is glitchy, I temporarily fixed it by opening the pedals up cleaning them and crimping the connections tight but it has gone sour again.

I have played a lot of the games from the first post in demo or free form. Racer had some non race environments that were really enjoyable to drive around. I downloaded a series of mountain roads with a few intersections once. Do any of the harder sims have that available as a mod?

I was thinking about buying the Retro expansion for RACE07 but have held off for wheel repair and also thinking that I could get rFactor or the sequel and get more for my buck.

The CSL is a god damn sex machine. That is all.

Thanks for the topic McLaren.

RBR is the best sim of all time. It's just so fun and challenging.

Anyway, if any Forza or GT fan refuses to acknowledge these guys as the top dogs, they are not sim fans.

Though, I shall thank GT for getting me interested into sims in the first place... Damn I need to reinstall RBR but I don't feel like getting my wheel away from my PS3 lol.

mclaren777

Grayman said:
Let me guess: you have an old Logitech DFP?

Grayman said:
rFactor has various hillclimbs (that might be what you're describing) and also long events like the Targa Florio (72 km) and the Cannonball Run (140km).

YHJwa.jpg

Grayman

mclaren777 said:
Let me guess: you have an old Logitech DFP?
yep. I used a guide for the brake issue to fix it for a few weeks last time. At zero throttle it bounces input randomly between maybe 10-20% using GT5/prologue hud. Only rarely is it enough to register as a click on a ps3. While using partial throttle it has a similar bouncing effect. Same issue on PC of course but it is not as directly visible in game unless the car is in neutral.

It was a great wheel for years before this happened and I was not able to justify upgrading to a clutch and h-shift setup. Actually it made me completely write off the idea of buying a 360 it was such a nice wheel.

mclaren777 said:
rFactor has various hillclimbs (that might be what you're describing) and also long events like the Targa Florio (72 km) and the Cannonball Run (140km).
Those would be fun but the map I am thinking of was like a small open world. I could cruise around and get a t intersection with useful road in each direction.

Does Race07/GTREvo have hill climb tracks as a mod?

mclaren777

@Grayman

I had the brake issue back in the day on my DFP and Logitech shipped me a replacement (out of warranty) for free. I could probably send you my defective one if you wanted to try fixing it.

And yes, Race 07 just got some new DLC called the Retro Pack that includes a 6.1km hillclimb.

Included Cars
1968 Volvo Amazon
1972 Volvo P1800 ES
1971 BMW 2002
1968 Mini Cooper S
1971 Opel Commodore GS 3001
1973 BMW 3.0 CSL
1974 Chevrolet Corvette
1970 Chevrolet Camaro

Included Tracks
Poznan
Hillclimb Track

The DLC sells for €5 on RaceRoom.net & Steam and it's available for RACE07, GTR Evolution, Race On, and STCC – The Game.

Hillclimb Video
Official Trailer

Grayman

mclaren777 said:
@Grayman

I had the brake issue back in the day on my DFP and Logitech shipped me a replacement (out of warranty) for free.

I could probably send you my defective one if you wanted to try fixing it.
After I pop it open, wednesday maybe I will see if spare parts would possibly help. It was a very simple electrical problem to repair temporarily.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
mclaren777 said:

Hey Mac how would you rate rfactor's Targa Florio compared to the GPL version? Also, how many times have you completed a lap there?

Arucardo

isamu said:
Hey Mac how would you rate rfactor's Targa Florio compared to the GPL version? Also, how many times have you completed a lap there?
I thought it was just the GPL version converted to rF.

mclaren777

isamu said:
Hey Mac how would you rate rfactor's Targa Florio compared to the GPL version?
The rFactor version is a modernization of the GPL version with new textures, shaders, etc.

"Whether or not you're into historic racing, the Targa Florio is a track that every rFactor user has to experience at least once! Not just because of the sheer length of the track or the sheer amount of work that has gone into making the virtual version but to experience a stunning piece of motorsport history (almost) first hand." -- Source

1-D_FTW

spicy cho said:
Excellent thread, this really makes me want to race. Can't wait for rFactor 2!

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the latest Lotus screenshot from CARS. How I'd love to slip into that baby and race it for real.
On a wide open airport runway where the risk of death was at least somewhat reduced. How much trouble could I really get into without turns? Or trees? Right?

Dilly

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the latest Lotus screenshot from CARS. How I'd love to slip into that baby and race it for real.
On a wide open airport runway where the risk of death was at least somewhat reduced. How much trouble could I really get into without turns? Or trees? Right?

Then you're missing out on the fun!

mclaren777 said:
Another look at the Lotus 49 from CARS, all 250k polygons of it.

And apparently Slightly Mad Studios will be launching the project's website in a few weeks.

ahvqK.jpg

KOfiy.jpg

sweet jesus,

i wonder if this and other classic grand prix cars they're sitting on are from the aborted ferrari project?

ss_preview_ferrariproject3.jpg.jpg

patchday

mclaren777 said:
I certainly wouldn't call those sims, not even with community-made realism mods.

Shift 2 is pretty darn close. I play sims all the time (iRacing, rFactor, GTR2) with a wheel and the only thing S2U is missing is pits and endurances. Granted, I could care less for 24 hr long Endurances

Besides, C.A.R.S. is made by the same dev (SMS) & its on the list :D

Orgun

iRacing is the best racing sim I've played, and the community is great. It's just a shame it's so expensive :(

Apex

mclaren777 said:
They claim it will look like that in-game.
Probably same assets but no where that quality, mainly because those are raytraced renders.

Good thread.

I remember reading the Forum posts about the idea of a community funded project, pretty crazy that they are actually going through with it.

I really hope it is successful, who knows maybe that will be the future of gaming. Someone should make a thread about it for discussion, i find it really interesting.

Lucius86

Banned
I think when rFactor 2 comes out I am going to give it a go. Always wondered how fast I would be in a simulation environment compared to 'games'.

Orgun

Lucius86 said:
I think when rFactor 2 comes out I am going to give it a go. Always wondered how fast I would be in a simulation environment compared to 'games'.
I would beat ya :p

Dilly

Banned
Lucius86 said:

I'd say pretty good, we were matched in speed during the league matches I played with you guys and I've been playing race sims since I was 13.

Offcourse, I'm nowhere near as fast as the real pro's, those guys are way too good.

Definately looking forward to rFactor 2.

AcridMeat

Banned
SmokyDave said:
This.

Also, the new Retro pack for Race07 is awesome. Some great car choices in there and a nicely designed hillclimb to thrash 'em on.

I need more people to play Race 07 with. Smoky what's your steam sir?

mclaren777

gRally just tweeted this...

After a big update (90 files modified!) the gRally physics engine can run at 3000Hz!
Most racing games run at roughly 360Hz. I wonder why they decided to shot for the moon.

Top Bottom