• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

mclaren777

It was just announced that Game Stock Car will go on sale today for $30 via digital download.

It will also include a 30-minute demo for those who are on the fence.

Launch Trailer

oyYMe.jpg

Grayman

mclaren777 said:
gRally just tweeted this...

Most racing games run at roughly 360Hz. I wonder why they decided to shot for the moon.
could they have shot for the moon because of loose surfaces and bumps?

I think the saying is that it is "very hard to simulate a car at its limits" well rally racing has more bumps going on and does not have nearly as uniform surfaces.

Grayman

I think my DFP is dead. I fixed the pedals in 5 minutes tonight but the wheel wouldn't start back up into 900 degree mode, the power receiver in it appears to be dead. Too bad, I really wanted to play that hill climb in Race.

AcridMeat

Banned
Grayman said:
I think my DFP is dead. I fixed the pedals in 5 minutes tonight but the wheel wouldn't start back up into 900 degree mode, the power receiver in it appears to be dead. Too bad, I really wanted to play that hill climb in Race.

While the hillclimb is fun in it's own right, the other track from the pack Poznan is incredibly fun with these cars.

Grayman

AcridMeat said:
While the hillclimb is fun in it's own right, the other track from the pack Poznan is incredibly fun with these cars.
yes rub it in and make me jealous. It might drive me to purchasing another wheel! A better one!

I would like to see some more about the GP Bikes game. Also ANY superbike/ motorcycle racing game would be great. I haven't really seen too many of note that I can think of.

edit: also i would like to say that i love this thread. :_)

Dilly

Banned
isamu said:
Dirt 3>>>>GTR3

Nope.

Anyway, is Simbin dead? They haven't really put out anything interesting for the last years, or are they waiting to use the new ISI engine?

Then again, that wouldn't make sense since they were working on the 'Lizard' engine?

markao

Dilly said:
Nope.

Anyway, is Simbin dead? They haven't really put out anything interesting for the last years, or are they waiting to use the new ISI engine?

Then again, that wouldn't make sense since they were working on the 'Lizard' engine?
No,no and no ;)

They recently have been releasing small add-ons for Race07 (Retro pack is really cool) and opened their new site: Raceroom

1-D_FTW

Dilly said:
Nope.

They've got the Raceroom going on. Might not be interesting to some at the moment, but it could turn into something interesting.

http://www.raceroom.net/index.php

EDIT: Beaten.

gragy10

So can anyone recommend a good entry level wheel and pedal set for the PC?
Would be primarily for rFactor 2 (when it arrives), the Model 2 Emu and F1 2011

1-D_FTW

What do you consider entry level? At least 100 dollars?

The Logitech Driving Force GT is generally considered the lowest you want to go if you still want a quality product.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
gragy10 said:
So can anyone recommend a good entry level wheel and pedal set for the PC?
Would be primarily for rFactor 2 (when it arrives), the Model 2 Emu and F1 2011

I bought Logitech Driving Force but I won't recommend as you've to use custom profile files for some games. But it's cheap, feels good, have pedals (which slide on the floor constantly until you fix them with something), clutch, all that stuff. But it's definitely entry level.

edit: beaten. Profile files are easy to find though.

mclaren777

Grayman said:
I think my DFP is dead. I fixed the pedals in 5 minutes tonight but the wheel wouldn't start back up into 900 degree mode, the power receiver in it appears to be dead.
I'm actually looking to sell my DFP and I'd probably take $50 for it along with a spare pedal set.

gragy10

I'm UK based so I had a budget of about £100 in mind, which the Logitech seems to fit.
I'm not averse to custom profiles but in an ideal world I'd like something i was confident of working with any new releases i pick up.

mclaren777

I don't really agree with the claim that you need custom profiles for different games. I've played almost every game in the OP and I've never adjusted my Logitech settings apart from initial setup.

Edit: and to be clear, I frequently adjust settings in-game, but that's to be expected with any title.

1-D_FTW

It'll work. But honestly, this is PC. Any wheel you buy is gonna have games where you might wanna tweak the settings. That's the difference between consoles. There you're stuck with whatever they give you. Here, if you don't like the developers "ideal", you just redo it to your satisfaction.

subversus

mclaren777 said:
I don't really agree with the claim that you need custom profiles for different games. I've played almost every game in the OP and I've never adjusted my Logitech settings apart from initial setup.

I needed custom profiles for Dirt 2 and Grid. Dirt 3 supports it out of the box, NFS Shift doesn't support it in demo.

By custom profiles I mean XML files. The wheel didn't responded in menus and I had to reset it manually every time I played the game.

gragy10

1-D_FTW said:
It'll work. But honestly, this is PC. Any wheel you buy is gonna have games where you might wanna tweak the settings. That's the difference between consoles. There you're stuck with whatever they give you. Here, if you don't like the developers "ideal", you just redo it to your satisfaction.

Tweaking settings fine, pounding fists on desk in struggle to get a game to acknowledge the wheels mere existence not so much.
Still, looks like custom profiles are pretty easy to come by after a games been out for a while. The problem seems to be more with Logitech's shoddy drivers than anything else

subversus

gragy10 said:
Tweaking settings fine, pounding fists on desk in struggle to get a game to acknowledge the wheels mere existence not so much.
Still, looks like custom profiles are pretty easy to come by after a games been out for a while. The problem seems to be more with Logitech's shoddy drivers than anything else

it will recognize it.

People who own wheels are hardcore so there's no shortage of downloadable fixes on the web. I'm new to this so it's always interesting to read what settings other people use.

Grayman

mclaren777 said:
I'm actually looking to sell my DFP and I'd probably take $50 for it along with a spare pedal set.
I am very interested. I am going to look around a few places first because I might make the upgrade. The g27 is 250 on american newegg if I can get the price matched in canada that would be great. I will send you a PM about your wheel once I make up my mind.

mclaren777

Wax Free Vanilla said:
can't believe i forgot to mention grand prix 4
I didn't include GP4 because it's not readily available to buy. The only place that I've found is the private marketplace on Amazon for $32.

Grayman

Grayman said:
I am very interested. I am going to look around a few places first because I might make the upgrade. The g27 is 250 on american newegg if I can get the price matched in canada that would be great. I will send you a PM about your wheel once I make up my mind.
Bad news Mclaren, I bought a new G27 and it is on its way. Good news: I bought a G27 and its on its way.

Grayman

AcridMeat said:
What games will you be playing primarily?
Well I discovered my DFP was broken when I wanted to play the Race 07 retro pack. I stick to doing laps alone because i am not a fast driver. I also have GT5.

I am interested in rfactor but have been waiting for the sequel so far.

1-D_FTW

Grayman said:
Well I discovered my DFP was broken when I wanted to play the Race 07 retro pack. I stick to doing laps alone because i am not a fast driver. I also have GT5.

I am interested in rfactor but have been waiting for the sequel so far.

You kind of sound like me:) I like to harbor under the illusion I don't suck.

mclaren777

I finally got around to playing the Game Stock Car demo and it's really good. The graphics are arguably the best of any gMotor 2 title (rFactor, GTR2, etc) and the overall sense of quality is ever-present. I did a 30-car race at Interlagos and my GTX 460 ran between 90fps on the starting grid to 220fps later in the race, all while kicking out 1080p goodness with maxed settings.

The FFB took about a lap to get used to but I learned to really enjoy it after that. These cars are basically like V8 Supercars or DTM machines and the sound of engine overrun on downshifts coming through my earphones was excellent.

This game will likely appeal to South American sim racers but I have a hard time recommending it to anyone else based on the price ($30). Hopefully they'll also release it on Steam for $15 because then maybe I'll bite.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
54-46! said:
How much of a sim is Dirt 3 when you turn off all the assists?

It's for the most part straight up arcade racing but I'll be damned if it isn't a fun ass game. Handling is superior to Dirt 2 in my humble opinion. My ECCI 7000 has no problems sliding the cars 'round the bends.

gragy10

Has anyone been able to get GP4 running on Win 7 x64 with an nVidia card?
Never been able to get it to work on my current build and always loved the Crammond school of design and handling

mclaren777

gragy10 said:
Has anyone been able to get GP4 running on Win 7 x64 with an nVidia card?
I can only see a black screen with Windows Vista / Seven
For some unknown reason, GP4 doesn't run straight away with Windows 7 but a simple trick will fix this. Simply locate your GP4.exe file and do a right click on top of it. Click Properties then choose Compatibility Tab and check "Execute in Compatibility mode for" checkbox and leave Windows XP SP3 selection as is. Hit the apply button and you're done.

Source

Thanks for this thread, awesome. I have GTR2 and Race 07, GTR2 I didn't get much play time out of, but Race with the Retro pack I'm loving.

isamu said:
It's for the most part straight up arcade racing but I'll be damned if it isn't a fun ass game. Handling is superior to Dirt 2 in my humble opinion. My ECCI 7000 has no problems sliding the cars 'round the bends.

Yeah, I'm having fun with Dirt 3 as well. It's very well done for what it wants to be. And the online is really well done too, so much better than say GT5. Just that I could do without Gymkhana and the Xgames stuff, blah.

Ravenn17

Anybody wear special boots/shoes while sim racing? I'm trying to heal and toe with Clubsport pedals and it's starting to fucking hurt. I tried normal shoes, but they are way too cumbersome.

Orgun

Ravenn17 said:
Anybody wear special boots/shoes while sim racing? I'm trying to heal and toe with Clubsport pedals and it's starting to fucking hurt. I tried normal shoes, but they are way too cumbersome.

Heh i'm normally barefoot or just wearing socks.

subversus

I found it hard to push pedals with my foot because I can't rest it on the pedal and if I rest it near the pedal, there's no time to react. So I use my fingers.

paskowitz

I think NFS Shift 1 w/ the overhaul mod deserves an honorable mention. It is very close to GT5 in terms of feel and physics. And in terms of graphics and overall immersion is slightly above. Plus the mass amount of car mods from FM3 really adds to its content.

1-D_FTW

Diablohead said:
How can you sim without wearing a real helmet!!

:p

If you watch youtube videos, you'll notice a lot of people wear gloves. lol

I briefly flirted with wearing regular shoes when I was trying to get better in the gaf F1 2010 league, but I'm back to barefoot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i find a bunch of these really difficult to get into. Often the front end is incredibly obtuse, I need to fiddle with 1000 different settings between my logitech drivers, game drivers, and sacrificing goats to the gods.

Which of these is the most approachable/compatible with Driving force GT and also rewarding? I don't mind hard/challening to drive, I just want something thats vaguely straightforward to get working.

gotee12

1-D_FTW said:
If you watch youtube videos, you'll notice a lot of people wear gloves. lol

I briefly flirted with wearing regular shoes when I was trying to get better in the gaf F1 2010 league, but I'm back to barefoot.
I tried shoes and didn't like it. Tried barefoot as well and wasn't crazy about. Then I strapped on my vibram fivefingers and it's been pedal bliss ever since.

mclaren777

mrklaw said:
i find a bunch of these really difficult to get into. Often the front end is incredibly obtuse, I need to fiddle with 1000 different settings between my logitech drivers, game drivers, and sacrificing goats to the gods.

Which of these is the most approachable/compatible with Driving force GT and also rewarding? I don't mind hard/challening to drive, I just want something thats vaguely straightforward to get working.
I haven't found any of these sims to be all that obtuse, except maybe netKar Pro because you need to remember to manually change tires between sessions, especially if you flat-spot them. I never adjust my Logitech drivers and the only things I ever mess with in a new sim are the key/input bindings and common stuff like graphical settings. If you need to see just how easy it can be, check out my rFactor tutorial...

YouTube Walkthrough

netKar Pro
TWbzE.jpg

paskowitz said:
I think NFS Shift 1 w/ the overhaul mod deserves an honorable mention. It is very close to GT5 in terms of feel and physics. And in terms of graphics and overall immersion is slightly above. Plus the mass amount of car mods from FM3 really adds to its content.

How does the whole Forza 3 thing work, i cant find it anywhere in nogrip racing.

I just download the Forza 3 cars and put my Forza 3 DVD-1 in the tray of my PC for validation, is that it?

Top Bottom