• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

mclaren777

zephervack said:
How does the whole Forza 3 thing work, i cant find it anywhere in nogrip racing.

I just download the Forza 3 cars and put my Forza 3 DVD-1 in the tray of my PC for validation, is that it?
It doesn't work like that. Converting content from one game to another (eg, SHIFT 2 --> rFactor) takes a fair amount of time and effort.

qF9gDl.jpg

gLYzBl.jpg

Gran Turismo will always be my go to game and love, but now that i have a great TV hooked up to my notebook, and since i can use the G25 on it, i´m ready to jump on some meaty PC sims, if my computer holds up.

rFactor and Richard Burns will probably be my games, i´ve tried before and liked, but never tried the mods besides watching youtube videos.

That SuperGT mod for rFactor2 looks absolutely like the thing i want, and that consoles will never be able to provide.

I would love to have a game with F1, SuperGT, FIA GT, BTCC, DTM, WRC and others in, and modding is the only thing that will allow this to happen.

I still think sometimes that to really enjoy those games it´s a complicated process, but what the hell, i need to take some time to do this (install, config, find mods, install mods, find lobbies, etc...).

I´ll try to reinstall RBR this week to see what happens.

mclaren777

rFactor 2 Update

rFactor 2, in-development and due for initial release later this year, will introduce a number of major features. Among the greatest is the newly written tire model, which accurately models the heat, wear, deformation and performance changes a tire undergoes in a racing situation.

The video below demonstrates the basics and shows you some of the damage done to the tire with both normal usage and when mistreated.

For the purpose of this first demonstration we have increased the effects by 100x so that you can see it within a single lap.

When the brakes are locked and a single area of the tire touches the track while the car continues to move, this grinds away the rubber from the surface of the tire and creates a flatter edge, this is called 'flatspotting'. With rFactor 2 you will directly affect the surface of the tire and you will both see and feel (through force-feedback especially) how this changed the tire surface.

Recorded heat for the surface of the tire is visible in the video on the readout (within the black box) at the top-left of the screen.

Also visible at the end of the video is the associated tire wear from doing the equivalent of 100 laps at the slow-ish pace seen, and if you look very closely in the final frames one of our fully-animated track workers can be spotted.
Youtube

bee

honestly i beta tested netkar pro like i dunno how long ago, must be like 6 years ago now i bet and i didn't really get along with it due to its roughness, i've tested the demo a few times over the years and it either crashed on me instantly or didn't even start

i just tested the demo before and it now works at least, even if there is some massive pop in bug going on, so anyway its like £13 so i bought it

obviously never played the locked content before, so i just played a little and tried the fiat 500 and the osella around newbury (2006) just now. honestly this game is way above everything but iracing, how many people make it? 2? haha it destroys lfs, rfactor, gtr etc, absolutely different league

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
apparently not too many people are happy with the NTM. Some are even calling it a disaster.

zaxor0

This is a thread ive been wanting to see. I'm totally going to following this often.

I recently got the retro expansion for Race07, those cars are sure a hell of a lot of fun. I love the BMW CSL.

edit: here's a question, any pc sims have the track Road Atlanta? I've driven on it a couple of times and would love to be able to play around on it virtually. I think one of the Forza games has it, but I lack a 360 and a proper hd tv.

mclaren777

zaxor0 said:
any pc sims have the track Road Atlanta? I've driven on it a couple of times and would love to be able to play around on it virtually.
iRacing has the best version (it's fully laser-scanned) but it cost something like $20 on top of the game itself. rFactor's version is free.

iRacing
rFactor

fresquito

bee said:
honestly i beta tested netkar pro like i dunno how long ago, must be like 6 years ago now i bet and i didn't really get along with it due to its roughness, i've tested the demo a few times over the years and it either crashed on me instantly or didn't even start

i just tested the demo before and it now works at least, even if there is some massive pop in bug going on, so anyway its like £13 so i bought it

obviously never played the locked content before, so i just played a little and tried the fiat 500 and the osella around newbury (2006) just now. honestly this game is way above everything but iracing, how many people make it? 2? haha it destroys lfs, rfactor, gtr etc, absolutely different league
I tried the demo yesterday. Maybe it's too sim for me, I don't know, but I can barelly drive the car (I'm used to playing LFS, so it's not my first sim).

okenny

Banned
mclaren777 said:
I love seeing pictures like this...

KLmbb.jpg

There is so much RIGHT with this picture :D!!

- - - -

Is there a turn-based persistent online asynchronous multi-player PC racing sim (not to dissimilar from a football manager sort of sim)?

I downloaded rFactor and trying to get my wheel settings correct was a miserable experience and I just gave up for the night.

I started to think back about all the hours I would spend in the LFS S1 demo drifting around on a PS2 controller, so I downloaded the S2 demo. Luckily, I didn't have to tweak my wheel settings very much. Rather than drifting though, I drove the Formula BMW around. That game is still a lot of fun and doesn't look that bad for being so old.

mclaren777

Quote said:
I downloaded rFactor and trying to get my wheel settings correct was a miserable experience and I just gave up for the night.
What seemed to be the problem? And what wheel are you using?

The image below is quite old now, but make sure to use a negative FFB value if you're using a Logitech wheel.

forcefeedback.jpg

Leunam

Really torn between rFactor and iRacing. Rfactor has better mod support but iRacing has more realistic cars? Not quite sure where to go from here.

mclaren777 said:
What seemed to be the problem? And what wheel are you using?

The image below is quite old now, but make sure to use a negative FFB value if you're using a Logitech wheel.
DFGT is the wheel I use. At first FFB was backwards, then I downloaded the "realfeel" mod and followed someone's settings but... I don't know, I just don't feel the traction or the feeling of oversteer like I do in other games. I looked around for a definitive setup for the DFGT but everyone who posts their is completely different than the one before it. I would love it if I was just not understanding something, because the game seems pretty awesome.

On another note, am I the only one who is completely terrified with car setups? What is the best way to learn what does what, just messing with the settings and seeing how it affects the car? Even back in LFS S1 days, I used to just download other people's drift setups because if I messed with anything I'd be screwed.

bee

as an overall experience iracing completely destroys netkar pro, better graphics, laser scanned tracks, always busy online, safety rating and great online community to name a few. netkar pro is also one of the buggiest games i've ever played, holy shit does this game have bugs. the base tracks are quite good and a couple of the better conversions aren't bad either but you really miss the bumps from iracing

all that said, from a pure driving perspective, i'd have to say netkar pro is the most realistic sim on the market right now on any platform. it's not massively better than iracing in this department but it's better none the less

osella, ks2, formula 2000, fiat 500 around practically any of the base tracks is some of the most fun you can have in sim racing full stop

mclaren777

Quote said:
DFGT is the wheel I use. At first FFB was backwards, then I downloaded the "realfeel" mod and followed someone's settings but... I don't know, I just don't feel the traction or the feeling of oversteer like I do in other games.
You probably had the strength set to a positive value (0 to 100%) when it should have been (-100% to 0) for your wheel. And Real Feel just adds more complexity (you can further invert the FFB by pressing Right Ctrl plus 8 on the numpad) so I'd recommend not using it until you're more familiar with the sim.

Subscribed for a month of iRacing and got two free. Man, they really nickle and dime the shit out of you. $2 to host a race? What the fuck! Other than that it's pretty awesome. The settings and menu systems are slick which a lot of sims seem to lack. Graphics are up-to-date and it worked with my wheel without any issue (though, I'm starting to learn more how to set it up on my own). Only participated in one race, and won, but that's because everyone quit.

The big downside to all of this sim racing is that the DFGT pedals are really starting to show their lack of quality. I've been thinking about a new wheel but I thought I read that the G27 might be being replaced soon and Fanatec has those new wheels coming out that work with 360/PS3/PC.

I broke and bought the G27 on Amazon today. Will have in my hands tomorrow!

What do you guys think of Wheel Stands vs. Playseats? I don't really have the room for a Playseat, but if they're extremely superior I might have to make room.

mclaren777

I won a Playseat + G27 last year at PAX and I really love them both. I just slide the cockpit into the living room when I want to play console games and slide it into the computer room when I want to play PC sims. It's fantastic!

Youtube

1-D_FTW

Quote said:
I broke and bought the G27 on Amazon today. Will have in my hands tomorrow!

What do you guys think of Wheel Stands vs. Playseats? I don't really have the room for a Playseat, but if they're extremely superior I might have to make room.

Aww. So it already shipped out? Newegg has it for 204.00 with free shipping.

1-D_FTW said:
Aww. So it already shipped out? Newegg has it for 204.00 with free shipping.
Yeah, I saw that. I could still cancel because it's overnight shipping but I'm a very impatient person and Saturday/Wednesday are the only days I'd be home to accept the package. I'm hoping the price drops on Amazon and I can price match.

EDIT: Fuck it, I put the cancelation request in explaining exactly why and that if they can price match they don't have to. Let's see what happens. I'm not hopeful though.

1-D_FTW

Quote said:
Yeah, I saw that. I could still cancel because it's overnight shipping but I'm a very impatient person and Saturday/Wednesday are the only days I'd be home to accept the package. I'm hoping the price drops on Amazon and I can price match.

Just filled out the "report a lower price link" on Amazon for you. Saw this deal on Slickdeals a couple days ago, so maybe enough people will eventually hit the link for Amazon to match.

Thanks 1-D_FTW, I think whatever you did worked. I just got home form work an noticed it dropped to $234 (pre-promo price on Newegg). I hit up Amazon chat support and they price matched as a "one-time exception." I bit my tongue and accepted it. Kind of silly though as I could have just refused shipment and bought from Newegg or even Amazon again.

So... in the last 24 hours since my last post I went from a DFGT on a ghetto Ridgid table to this (excuse the mess):

og9gd.jpg

As to what model it is exactly? I don't know and neither did the guy from Craigslist. The box had "Booth #2909" written on it and google shows that Playseat had that booth during E3'09. So I assume it's from the demo floor that year. But yeah, I can't find any seats besides the flight sim one in military green, none of the racing ones besides the office chair have a reclining lever and the ones with the crotch posts are the $500+ ones and the metal is usually black. I managed to get it for $250 which I think is a steal.

I drove a few laps on F1 2010 and holy shit is this setup good. I don't know how people can compare the DFGT to the G27, the FFB is so smooth it makes the DFGT look like a toy. And the Playseat is comfy and stable, I feel like i'm on a arcade machine.

Now I just have to order the shifter attachment, manage the cables and i'll be set!

mclaren777

Quote said:
Now I just have to order the shifter attachment, manage the cables and i'll be set!
I'd also recommend the seat slider if you plan to be using this with friends/family because it makes swapping drivers a cinch.

You got a great deal on that setup!

mclaren777

Ignite Skill Gaming just announced that its recent influx of capital ($7.5 million) will allow it to launch a free-to-play online racing sim.

Things to know...
• It will be based on rFactor's graphics and physics engine
• It will use laser-scanned tracks, making it the first free-to-play title to do so
• The company has secured the consulting services of Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon
• It will use a real-time skill matching system instead of unlockable levels or licenses

Jonathan Haswell said:
The core aim of the Simraceway online racing environment is simply to do online, live, multiplayer racing, really, really well. This racing environment will be much less about high detailed visual models and cinematic replays, like most current racing games, and much more about close, hard, door handle to door handle racing with live people who have been well matched by skill level, or against professional drivers like Dan Wheldon. A critical design realization for us has been that it really doesn't matter how good, or not, you are, or actually what you're driving, if you're battling hard against other real drivers of similar skill level you're having fun and that's what we're looking for here.
fncS4.jpg

RIt7j.jpg

Fugu

So I really want to get into sim racing on the PC but I don't have the equipment for it nor do I have the money right now to put down the money to get that equipment (I'm moving very soon so I have to make a bit of an effort not to piss all of my money away). Is using a USB controller for this as unfesible as it sounds? I have an actual car; can I just play this stuff in that?

mclaren777

Fugu said:
Is using a USB controller for this as unfesible as it sounds?
You can definitely use a USB controller, but if you enjoy these sims you'll want to buy a decent steering wheel immediately so I'd suggest waiting to play them until you have enough money. Otherwise it might be considered a form of self-inflicted torture. ;)

SmokyDave

Fugu said:
Is using a USB controller for this as unfesible as it sounds? I have an actual car; can I just play this stuff in that?
Kinda. I've set up 360 pad profiles for Rfactor, GTR Evo and Race 07 with varying degrees of success (can't always be arsed to get the wheel out). You'll need to spend time tweaking rates and things but it can be made perfectly playable. You'll need some exquisite thumb control if you want to put in any decent lap times though.

mclaren777

Here's some alleged content for the recently-announced Ignite Skill Gaming/Simraceway title. As is common with free-to-play online games, some of the base content is completely free while additional content can be bought for a small price.

You can also sign up for the beta here.

Cars
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 -- $2.54
Morgan Aero SuperSports -- $2.08
Morgan 3 Wheeler -- $0.45
Palatov Motors DP4 -- $0.50
Simraceway 6XJ4 -- $0.43
Volkswagen GTI -- $.043
Bentley SuperSport -- $2.73
McLaren MP4-12C -- $2.65
Audi R15 Plus -- $0.43
E92 M3 GT2 -- $0.43
Ford GT-RM -- $0.43
Lola B06/10 -- $0.43
Porsche 911 GT3 Cup-- $0.43
Megane Trophy -- Free
2010 Audi R15 -- $0.43
McLaren MP4-22 -- $2.50
Lotus Exige S 240 -- $0.43
Ariel Atom 500 V8 -- $1.60
Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GT2 -- Free
2010 Indycar Series -- $4.95
Lola-Aston Martin B09/60 LMP1 -- $0.43
Honda HSV: GT500 -- No price yet

Tracks
Long Beach -- Free
Longstone Pass -- Free
Mid-Ohio -- No price info
Zandvoort -- No price info
Brno -- No price info
Brands Hatch -- No price info
Salzburgring -- No price info
Watkins Glen -- No price info
Nordschleife -- No price info
Goodwood -- No price info
Indianapolis -- No price info

fresquito

mclaren777 said:
Here's some alleged content for the recently-announced Ignite Skill Gaming/Simraceway title. As is common with free-to-play online games, some of the base content is completely free while additional content can be bought for a small price.

You can also sign up for the beta here.

Cars
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 -- $2.54
Morgan Aero SuperSports -- $2.08
Morgan 3 Wheeler -- $0.45
Palatov Motors DP4 -- $0.50
Simraceway 6XJ4 -- $0.43
Volkswagen GTI -- $.043
Bentley SuperSport -- $2.73
McLaren MP4-12C -- $2.65
Audi R15 Plus -- $0.43
E92 M3 GT2 -- $0.43
Ford GT-RM -- $0.43
Lola B06/10 -- $0.43
Porsche 911 GT3 Cup-- $0.43
Megane Trophy -- Free
2010 Audi R15 -- $0.43
McLaren MP4-22 -- $2.50
Lotus Exige S 240 -- $0.43
Ariel Atom 500 V8 -- $1.60
Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GT2 -- Free
2010 Indycar Series -- $4.95
Lola-Aston Martin B09/60 LMP1 -- $0.43
Honda HSV: GT500 -- No price yet

Tracks
Long Beach -- Free
Longstone Pass -- Free
Mid-Ohio -- No price info
Zandvoort -- No price info
Brno -- No price info
Brands Hatch -- No price info
Salzburgring -- No price info
Watkins Glen -- No price info
Nordschleife -- No price info
Goodwood -- No price info
Indianapolis -- No price info
Sounds like a glorified demo more than a free to play game.

markao

1-D_FTW said:
Why? Sounds like iRacing without the ridiculous pricing.
They (mostly) bought cars/tracks from "mod teams" that are now available for free in rFactor, iRacing at least provides original and quality content.

Have not trusted these guys and this is not helping to get me around.

bee

haha virtualr is a fuckin funny site. the hated simraceway comes out with a competitor (lol) to iracing and then suddenly its all love for them, funny shit. gmotor2 needs to die, if you're worried about spending a whole £45 a year to sub to iracing then at least do the right thing and buy netkarpro for £13, destroys all these 2005 style gmotor based ones

1-D_FTW

markao said:
They (mostly) bought cars/tracks from "mod teams" that are now available for free in rFactor, iRacing at least provides original and quality content.

Have not trusted these guys and this is not helping to get me around.

I had no idea that's all they did. You're right, then. Just get rfactor and cut out the limitations.

bee said:
haha virtualr is a fuckin funny site. the hated simraceway comes out with a competitor (lol) to iracing and then suddenly its all love for them, funny shit. gmotor2 needs to die, if you're worried about spending a whole £45 a year to sub to iracing then at least do the right thing and buy netkarpro for £13, destroys all these 2005 style gmotor based ones

That's a little harsh. It's not the subscription that's a big deal, it's the fact they have a yearly subscription and you get only a couple courses and cars for that money. Then you have to pay 10/20 bucks a pop for additional cars/tracks. I would actually subscribe to iracing if you got the whole game for your yearly fee.

bee

1-D_FTW said:
That's a little harsh. It's not the subscription that's a big deal, it's the fact they have a yearly subscription and you get only a couple courses and cars for that money. Then you have to pay 10/20 bucks a pop for additional cars/tracks. I would actually subscribe to iracing if you got the whole game for your yearly fee.

as is that, a couple??? you get about 5 cars and 7 tracks for free and it's not like you're forced to buy it all, buy the skippy and 3 or 4 tracks for around $70 and that'd have you set for pretty much the most fun you can have in sim racing for a year

besides you're not simply paying for the content, you're paying for the service and all they provide, with a constant stream of updates for free, the online leagues, the godly safety racing system that provides THE best races in sim racing etc

Dilly

Banned
The payment model is the only reason I'm not playing iRacing right now.

Just waiting for rFactor 2 to be released.

I'm interested in trying out some of the rally games in the OP. Are there any that support deformable tracks? I really loved Sega Rally's implementation and haven't found a game that does it. I live the feeling of plowing through pockets of mudd and snow.

mclaren777

Dilly said:
The payment model is the only reason I'm not playing iRacing right now.
The pricing model is a big hindrance for me too, but my biggest issue is actually the lack of AI opponents or different camera positions while racing.

I am kinda okay dealing with iRacings payment system for the idea of a high barrier to entry which leads to safer driving. And even the crazy prices for extra cars/tracks is semi acceptable. $2 to host your own server for 4 hours though?

RIDICULOUS.

But I'll keep paying them for now.

Top Bottom