• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC shipments showed record decline in Q4 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

w0s

Surely more gamers build their own PC's

I have to think this isn't actually true. Most gamer's aren't enthusiast and might by a card and just put it in their system but I can't imagine that the majority of pc gamers build their PCs from scratch. Definitely isn't true in my circle of friends (YMMV) even though a few of us build our PCs from scratch the majority bought a gaming prebuilt pc.

Pre-built PCs/laptops make a big share of the PC game market. The majority of Steam users still on dual core and mobile GPUs are some of the most popular display adapters among Steam users.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?sort=pct

The thing with the survey is that CPUs with HT only have their native cores measured, which is fine, but in terms of measuring pure hardware grunt I'd say actual computing power out there in the gaming community could be quite inaccurate.

SparkTR

Wait. 300 million units a year? That can't be right.

PCs sell 10x the PS4 LTD in just one single year? And that happens every year? Wow, I knew PC sold better than consoles but these are shocking figures. I'm worried about the console industry.

No wonder even Japanese devs want onboard these days.

a friend asked me what type of pc he should get his son for school, i told him not to waste time with PC as its clearly on its way out, he listened and settled for a 1TB PS4 instead, now his son enjoys the best games and uses google docs with the PS4 web browser

Wow using google docs on a ps4 sounds exciting and easy.
Not really

pislit

Good. This will only mean less PCs clueless uncles install Steam clients on to bloat the Steam users by millions.

Tobor

Does this even take into account people buying individual parts and building a PC? If not then this might as well be an off topic thread.

This is a joke right? I would guess the number of home built gaming PCs would look like a rounding error compared to prebuilt PC sales.

Anyone have any numbers on this?

TBiddy

Many modern businesses now choose to provide their employees with dockable laptops rather than getting desktops for a whole host of reasons. Hence the rapid decline.

Except that laptops are also counted in these numbers. Besides that, I'm not sure what you're arguing?

Dude, you've been Horse Armour'ed.

Auch. Should've guessed it :(

Grief.exe

This is a joke right? I would guess the number of home built gaming PCs would look like a rounding error compared to prebuilt PC sales.

We don't have any hard numbers, but sales of enthusiast hardware have been increasing yoy for essentially the last decade. Opposite to the decline of pre-built PC industry.

With the stellar 2016 PS4 lineup this was only inevitable.

PCs sell 10x the PS4 LTD in just one single year? And that happens every year? Wow, I knew PC sold better than consoles but these are shocking figures. I'm worried about the console industry.

10/10 I honestly can't even tell the difference anymore between troll posts and 'PS4 evangelist' on GAF.

Any evidence to support that?

none, the only evidence we have is that the PC market is completely bombing. That's speculation on my part but it's pretty safe speculation. Most of the people that play those games can do it on any computer. They aren't building rigs just to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a huge subset of players that ONLY play DOTA or LoL and nothing else.

That's because Intel came out with a quad core as their high end for Skylake. There is no point in upgrading to that.

People that buy prebuilt stuff have phones, tablets, a couple years old computer, etc. You don't need to upgrade to use youtube and use office.

SparkTR

It's smaller sure, but those are the numbers that are relevant to publishers. The PCs that this report focuses on are office machines or notebooks that wouldn't be able to run DOTA 2 effectively. It really does have as much to do with PC gaming as TV sales have to do with console gaming.

no

they just aren't buying PCs. They're buying tablets (and by tablets I mean ipads) and macs. Or just using their phones.

That's about it. And people are absolutely kidding themselves if they think most pc gaming isn't done on prebuilt pcs. You think those zillions of Dota/LoL/etc players are playing on PCs they built? lulz

but iPads declined like ~20% yoy.

thebloo

It's smaller sure, but those are the numbers that are relevant to publishers. The PCs that this report focuses on are office machines or notebooks that wouldn't be able to run DOTA 2 effectively. It really does have as much to do with PC gaming as TV sales have to do with console gaming.

Pretty much any "office PC" bought right now would be able to play DOTA,

QaaQer

in summary:

-prebuilt pc are not used for gaming
-declining pc sales do not affect pc gaming
-people who play games on pc build their own
-only stupid lazy people buy prebuild pcs

Kinda wish we had some numbers.

JJD

Why people are arguing this is not relevant to gaming?

The source is gamesindustry.biz

That said, I don't think the impact on PC gaming will be that big.

Anecdotal of course, but I'm buying a pre build gaming PC later this year when the new nvidia cards hit. Going with a smaller form factor PC from Cyberpowerpc.

I almost bought a Zeus Mini Evo with a i7, 980TI and 32 gigs of DDR4, but decided to wait the new GPUs.

Edit: Guess I'm stupid lazy then...LOL...thank god I have the money to not worry about this stuff.

PC gaming seemed so strong. I can't believe it was really dying this whole time. At least 300 million a year is still a good number. Still outselling the competition by hundreds of millions. Thanks for keeping your finger on the pulse, viHuGi.

Lucifon

The mass market is most likely replacing laptops etc much later these days with tablets and smartphones accounting for most people's basic needs.

Also Windows 10 happened last year and was made available for anything that could run Windows 7.

This can't be understated... a lot of the typical user isn't necessarily aware or able to update windows, so they often buy whole new PCs just for major Windows releases (several in my family and family friends).

This not only was a free upgrade, it was one that automated everything and was essentially idiot proof, they didn't need to purchase a new system for it.

Edit: Guess I'm stupid lazy then...LOL...thank god I have the money to not worry about this stuff.

While it hyperbolic to say 'stupid'... it's perfectly fair to say 'lazy'. Then again, I could build my own custom car if I wasn't 'lazy', so it's all degrees.

in summary:

-prebuilt pc are not used for gaming
-declining pc sales do not affect pc gaming
-people who play games on pc build their own
-only stupid lazy people buy prebuild pcs

Kinda wish we had some numbers.

I'd love to hear your analysis. Do you think PC gaming is declining along side the prebuilt PC market?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Apple is the only one showing growth with macs lol.

gartner_4Q15_global.jpg

That's because they had a huge drop in sales in 2013, something the other companies did not experience. Apple reacted by teaming up with IBM which is now cutting into the sales of office PCs for everyone else.

Skux

People will buy the most cost effective thing to suit their needs, and for most non-gamers, that's a laptop, tablet or smartphone, rather than a prebuilt PC, which is often overpriced anyway.

tuxfool

Banned
PC gaming seemed so strong. I can't believe it was really dying this whole time. At least 300 million a year is still a good number. Still outselling the competition by hundreds of millions. Thanks for keeping your finger on the pulse, viHuGi.

I knew it was going to be shit show as soon as I saw the thread creator.

Elandyll

Banned
Hopefully Digitimes will provide an update for the 2015 Graphic Card sales, like they did last year.

Hint: the PC high end videogame market isn't nearly as big as some think it is, and sales shrank 10% in 2014 (the main explanation given for the 2013 boost and subsequent 2014 drop being the rise and fall of bitcoin data mining)

http://digitimes.com/news/a20150126PD204.html

According to them, the top 3 (Asus, Gigabyte and MSI) selling a combined 12m cards in 2014. The top end cards reprenting about 10% of that it seems.

Last year's article was published on the 26th of January, so let's hope we'll see an update shortly.

def sim

It was a fun run. I just spent dozens of hours disassembling my PC, but it had to be done. It's time to move on; I've already applied to become a PlayStation MVP and you should too.

SparkTR

Why people are arguing this is not relevant to gaming?

The source is gamesindustry.biz

That said, I don't think the impact on PC gaming will be that big.

Anecdotal of course, but I'm buying a pre build gaming PC later this year when the new nvidia cards hit. Going with a smaller form factor PC from Cyberpowerpc.

I almost bought a Zeus Mini Evo with a i7, 980TI and 32 gigs of DDR4, but decided to wait the new GPUs.

Worth noting that that PC you're buying would not be included in this report. It's not prebuilt in the sense that OEM office PCs are prebuilt.

Caayn

PC people are slowly realizing that it's much better to own a console. Only then will you be able to experience truly great games by the one and only best studio evah Naughty Dog. And get free* indie games each month. And don't forget the exclusive network that offers a premium service, better pay for that.

*After paying a $50 dollar fee each year, and high chance that the game released on other platform(s) last year.

la_briola

none, the only evidence we have is that the PC market is completely bombing. That's speculation on my part but it's pretty safe speculation. Most of the people that play those games can do it on any computer. They aren't building rigs just to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a huge subset of players that ONLY play DOTA or LoL and nothing else.

The market is not bombing just declining, which is only logical, because your random "I only need Google and Facebook" person is satisfied with a Smartphone/Tablet.
Also most PCs bought in the last few years are good enough for most, the need to upgrade is not how it used to be.

People that work, create and game will always* prefer and buy (or build) a PC/Mac.

The pre-built PC market needs to reinvent itself though.

*for the foreseeable future.

Shari

It's viHuGi.

Feels funny because his modus operandi is always exactly the same, comes, drops the bomb and leaves.

Edit: It's worth noting that without this shit threads we wouldnt have this hilarious threads, so its all worth it in the end, like PlayStation™

b0bbyJ03

I don't think this is meant to be news for the gaming market. I've never met a gamer that didnt build their pc or at least ordered a custom one (which also wouldnt be on this list).

For the past decade, I get a prebuilt and then upgrade it. Current on a Dell xps 8500. The two computers before that were Gateways and before that, HP. Most of my other pc gaming friends in real life do something similar. My two sons built their computers but I did that mostly to teach them, there wasn't any real benefit over prebuilt.

What the declining numbers really mean has nothing to do with the popularity of pcs. I think we are in for another global recession.

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/01/12/rbs-warns-sell-everything/

Office equipment orders (which the majority of pc prebuild go towards) are normally the first things to decline after resource commodities (oil) and before asset reduction (employee layoffs)

Concurrent users on steam is probably a better indicator of the health of pc gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom