• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC shipments showed record decline in Q4 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duxxy3

I know for our company we are waiting til next year to make new PC purchases. Windows 10 should be stabilized by then and Server 2016 will be out and stable.

SparkTR

I get why the PC fans are defending their gaming platform of choice, but why shit on the PS4 and its fans as part of it? At least shit on everyone else if you must ;p

Well, nobody's talking about Xbox because that's going to be fully on board the Windows 10 train soon enough.

Apple is the only one showing growth with macs lol.

gartner_4Q15_global.jpg

It must be windows 10 effect :D People who not wanted to surrender their privacy started to look for non windows alternative.

SparkTR

This should really be in OT. Prebuilt PCs are in decline, gaming PCs are on the rise.

Other things on the rise: Gaming related concurrent user counts, active users, revenue, number of releases, level of developer support, number of exclusives etc. Pretty much every metric related to gaming is rising in regards to PC. But Fortune 500 companies don't upgrade their office hardware enough these days, better alert the press.

Pre-built vs. Custom is irrelevant.

It's about software sales ultimately.

PC games are not selling as well as console games and never really have.

Plus - Microsoft ain't making much off of Windows 10 because it's a free upgrade through next summer.

So, I would say things are definitely alarming for the PC gaing industry.

I know, Bethesda probably never should have bothered with their Skyrim or Fallout releases on PC - waste of money. And Blizzard, I hear their PC versions of Diablo and Starcraft probably just lose them money.

Does this mean laptops or just pre-built desktops?

Because if its the latter, then it makes sense. As there's no sane reason, outside of business buying in bulk, to own one.

Other things on the rise: Gaming related concurrent user counts, active users, revenue, number of releases, level of developer support, number of exclusives etc. Pretty much every metric related to gaming is rising in regards to PC. But Fortune 500 companies don't upgrade their office hardware enough these days, better alert the press.

IDC covers around 80 countries, so they miss a lot of the PC sales in other emerging markets. It's going to be interesting because the IT industry (in the US alone) is expected to increase by 20% throughout and by 2020. With the exponential rate in people, there are also going to be a lot more people buying computers because we will more people.

According to the UN, human population levels are supposed to tap out at 11 or 12 billion by 2050. Right now we're on our way towards 8 billion people, so a lot more computer consumers. Many of them will be owners of computers that are low power and affordable. Think EEE pc type products.

2016 also makes the beginning of a soft recovery. Volumes were low in 2015 on laptops due to the lack of broadwell chips, which meant we were stuck with haswell quads uptil the just released skylakes.
The Apple line is expected to be outdated with skylake very soon.

On PC I think a lot of it is simply trying to fight over the damage with Windows 8, but at least the adoption rate has been fantastic. Which is good. Windows 10 is really awesome!

thebloo

It's really not. Especially not in a thread that was (I guess?) about hardware sales. But off topic (like there really is a topic) no, it's not just about software sales.

40% of EA's revenue consisted of "extra content", which is not software sales. Dota does not generate software sales, neither does LoL. See where I'm going with this?

Pre-built vs. Custom is irrelevant.

PC games are not selling as well as console games and never really have.

Plus - Microsoft ain't making much off of Windows 10 because it's a free upgrade through next summer.

So, I would say things are definitely alarming for the PC gaing industry.

As linked by Xis earlier, PC gaming is still growing:

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...and-laptops-thrive-in-slumping-pc-market.html

It's the non-gamers who are bying less. This news of decline does not affect PC gamers.

Building your own PC has become ridiculously easy. It makes sense that sales would decline. It is not easy to build your own Mac, hence the increase. Also, other than gaming PCs, a computer today has massive longevity.

Decline seems in line with the rise of tablets. Wonder how the overall PC market looks with tablets and whatnot on the rise.

And holy shit, OP got jumped on for what is essentially copy pasting an article. Like for reals, leave some of that backseat moderation to the actual mods instead of shitting up the thread with it.

SparkTR

Decline seems in line with the rise of tablets. Wonder how the overall PC market looks with tablets and whatnot on the rise.

And holy shit, OP got jumped on for what is essentially copy pasting an article. Like for reals, leave some of that backseat moderation to the actual mods instead of shitting up the thread with it.

Tablets are definitely not on the rise though, they're going down worse than OEM PCs in terms of sales decline.

People also have issues because this is not relevant to gaming at all.

Majukun

well,a gamer nowdays is gonna build a pc by himself by buying the components separately,while the "casual" customers are gonna go for a tablet,which offers pretty much the same functionalities but it's less pricey,more hip and has a touchscreen

they should try to stop selling overpriced junk is what i'm saying

Tablets are definitely not on the rise though, they're going down worse than OEM PCs in terms of sales decline.

People also have issues because this is not relevant to gaming at all.

Oh really? I assumed that tablets were the cause of the decline due to the article. I wonder what the cause is then.

And it might not be relevant to gaming or it might be, as I said, leave it to the mods to decide. This one doesn't really seem like a clear cut case to me. It's not as if pre-built PCs aren't used for gaming. But technically, yes, the article isn't gaming related.

they should try to stop selling overpriced junk is what i'm saying
I don't think there was ever a non-overpriced pre-built PC, the seemingly well-priced ones cut corners in component quality, usually coming from small brands or has no visible brand. Building one yourself is still the best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom