• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC sure is something magical

Limitless libraries of Retro/Indie/AA gems. Ever improving unique hardware & software features. Multi-controller support & capabilities. The power of Modding. Steam. Grand Emulation scene for those GBC/N64...PS2/PS3/X360/Switch jams & Classics. Up to 8K/120fps+ gaming. Insane Backwards Compatibility..

Not a Masterracer😜. Love all my Consoles for their own great reasons.. But I just adore the feel, freedom & magical world of PC. It's really special.. Love the awesome community as well💪.

Gosh. Thanks OverHeat OverHeat . Really appreciate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vwh17Xn.gif

feynoob

PC has everything. Even is Sony/MS/Nintendo want to do their own wallet garden, PC will get them.
Never underestimate hungry gamers with free time.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
As much of a headaches PC can be, I fucking love it! I started adding more HDD's and installing so many games from my steam account. No more uninstalling to save space. Now i have a massive library of games i can randomly choose to play in an instant. Throw in VR gaming and emulation and everything else a computer can do, truly awesome!

winjer

Gold Member
Limitless libraries of Retro/Indie/AA gems. Ever improving unique hardware & software features. Multi-controller support & capabilities. The power of Modding. Steam. Grand Emulation scene for those GBC/N64...PS2/PS3/X360/Switch jams & Classics. Up to 8K/120fps+ gaming. Insane Backwards Compatibility..

Not a Masterracer😜. Love all my Consoles for their own great reasons.. But I just adore the feel, freedom & magical world of PC. It's really special.. Love the awesome community as well💪.

I love PC gaming and it's my preferred platform.
But it has taken a beating lately. Stutter from shader compilation, Denuvo and other DRMs, a ton of launchers, and MS constantly screwing up with updates.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I was a console gamer as a kid. Got into PC gaming in High School but back then it was so expensive i couldn't afford anything good to play the new games like Quake.

Got back into PC gaming around 2013 thanks to GAF and I never looked back. I love PC gaming!!

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah it's cool. I love having all my library of PC games available just 1 click away, from new games to games I bought like 15 years ago.

Stuttering and poorly optimized games suck yeah, but it's not like games on consoles are 100% optimized either so whatever.

Last edited:
directstorage API where the GPU works on decompression and loads game near instantaneously is a welcome feature as well. But from my understanding, that has to be implemented in newer games (i don't know if current games can be patched for that). This will make PC games more appealing to casual gamers for a near console like instantaneious loading

Series X emulation seems pretty impressive too. And I can’t be arsed to bother with mods anymore. You do get cheaper games on PC though.

Last edited:
if you really are into games then PC is the only place to play. it should be your main platform.

of course not everyone can afford to build a PC and there is still the odd reason to own a console.

i had been a console gamer all my life until i built a PC. last gen i had a PS4 alongside my PC. this gen so far it's been PC and Switch. there is 0 reason for me to own either a PS5 or Series X. For a while MS has been releasing their games on PC. Sony has started releasing games on PC too so they are not giving me any reason to buy their consoles.

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft Windows store is their attempt at a walled garden and game pass is the acceptable face of that.

Yeah, but Windows store is just one store amongst many. That doesn't make PC a walled garden in any sense.

I'd also say, Proton is making it so Windows is no longer required for PC gaming. Steam Deck is broadening the options greatly, imo.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Microsoft Windows store is their attempt at a walled garden and game pass is the acceptable face of that.
Is PC=Windows now? Please explain, theres nothing preventing you from switching to linux.

Is Phil Spencer aiming a gun to your head forcing you to interact with gamepass? blink twice if you need help

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I played Neverwinter Nights on PC a few times, Oregon Trail, and Lemonade Stand. I think that was about it. Everything else on consoles for me. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a shot.

Topher

Gold Member
I was a console gamer as a kid. Got into PC gaming in High School but back then it was so expensive i couldn't afford anything good to play the new games like Quake.

Got back into PC gaming around 2013 thanks to GAF and I never looked back. I love PC gaming!!

I had an Atari 2600, but that thing sucked. I'd rather play coin-op arcades when I was a kid as they were vastly superior to home consoles. The first time gaming really grabbed my attention at home was my IBM PC jr that we won in a drawing.

Great little PC, but it didn't sell enough to last. But I played Flight Simulator, King's Quest, Zork and others on the thing and I was a PC gamer for life.

images

Still love my consoles though

Last edited:

StormCell

I had an Atari 2600, but that thing sucked. I'd rather play coin-op arcades when I was a kid as they were vastly superior to home consoles. The first time gaming really grabbed my attention at home was my IBM PC jr that we won in a drawing.

Great little PC, but it didn't sell enough to last. But I played Flight Simulator, King's Quest, Zork and others on the thing and I was a PC gamer for life.

images

Still love my consoles though
I had a Tandy 1000 (IBM Compatible!). That was my first real foray into PC as well. My favorite games on that thing were BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception (MechWarrior before MechWarrior) and MegaTraveller. I would lose a hundred hours in each of these, but especially MegaTraveller. I loved traveling from planet to planet, landing in each system's space port and exploring the planets. I had a few other cool cRPGs from the 1980s that ate my time.

I never had a truly powerful PC during the '90s, but when my neighbor was playing PS1 I was engrossed in games like Civ 2, Quake, and Command & Conquer. What a great time to have been a kid.

nkarafo

It's great but these last couple of years have been bad. GPU prices and shader compilation stutters have made me reconsider about building a new PC. Might keep my 7 year old build for emulation and BC and get a PS5 or something.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
on the software side things are not the best they've been but we've got a lot to look forward to, like RTX remix, upscaling technologies, DirectStorage (if MS bothers adding it into ANY FUCKING MODERN GAME GOD DAMN IT), Windows 11, the rise of Linux, etc

it hasn't been all doom and gloom, and the hardware jumps GPU wise from Nvidia have been some of the biggest in the past 15 years.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
PC when it comes together is just beautiful. Optimized? Loads of graphical options? Scalable? Looks good? Moddable?

Topher

Gold Member
I had a Tandy 1000 (IBM Compatible!). That was my first real foray into PC as well. My favorite games on that thing were BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception (MechWarrior before MechWarrior) and MegaTraveller. I would lose a hundred hours in each of these, but especially MegaTraveller. I loved traveling from planet to planet, landing in each system's space port and exploring the planets. I had a few other cool cRPGs from the 1980s that ate my time.

I never had a truly powerful PC during the '90s, but when my neighbor was playing PS1 I was engrossed in games like Civ 2, Quake, and Command & Conquer. What a great time to have been a kid.

Ah man.....I bought one of those Tandy's in the 90s. It had an OS called "Deskmate" rather than Windows. Clunky as hell, but it worked. Put tons of hours into Ultima 6. Later in the 90s, Blizzard became a thing and my life changed. So many great memories in PC gaming.

Beechos

Pc has always been killing it. Every current system has a need that it fulfills. Playing some of these rts games on a 49" ultrawide monitor is amazing. I can only imagine how glorious itll be playing diablo 4 at 5120x1440. I just hope it supports the res.

Last edited:

Filben

For stuttery or poorly optimised games I go for the console version. For everything else I go for PC. The ability to play these games also on the go on my Steam Deck is, with all the options and visuals and performance of my main gaming pc, to hard to pass.

Guilty_AI

I just can't see myself using consoles as my main platform anymore. When looking at the stuff i'm playing now and will play eventually i realize almost none of it is on the new consoles, or just doesn't play as well on them.

//DEVIL//

Well,, it Is the master race. but at what cost ?

my PC did cost me around 3500$ if not more ( half of it is the 4090 FE alone )

consoles are what? 500$ ?

that means in theory, I Can get both systems. Game pass and Online whatever on PS5 for the whole generation + lots of games and didn't even come close to the price of this PC.

and I wouldn't need to spend all that money at once ( which is really kinda the hardest part to swallow ). you also do not have to worry about cheaters online if that's your jam ( every time I play MW2 I wonder if I am getting cheated on due to the fact the other team is cleaning the floor with our team and it's usually one guy in that team is way too good to be true when usually I am on in the top 3"

everything the OP mentioned is true. it's magical and it's amazing to play at ultra-wide monitor ( running Samsung 49 odyssey G9 Neo ). but yeah it's not really cheap or for the people that want to click 2 clicks on the controller to be in the game)

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
If you just go to this folder and rename: system.dll to systems.dll you shouldn't be crashing anymore and if that doesn't work try reinstalling the game, and if that doesn't work try adjust this setting in the nVidia control panel but not the Windows settings, and if that doesn't work make sure to turn off Game Mode in Windows, and if that doesn't work, go on google and search another 10 possible solutions for your problem.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That's on you. Mine cost 1600€ and I'm playing everything at max settings in between 1440p and 4K. DLSS helps a lot, and at most I have to disable RTX features which honestly isn't that much of a loss, imo.

Buggy Loop

that means in theory, I Can get both systems. Game pass and Online whatever on PS5 for the whole generation + lots of games and didn't even come close to the price of this PC.

and I wouldn't need to spend all that money at once ( which is really kinda the hardest part to swallow ). you also do not have to worry about cheaters online if that's your jam ( every time I play MW2 I wonder if I am getting cheated on due to the fact the other team is cleaning the floor with our team and it's usually one guy in that team is way too good to be true when usually I am on in the top 3"

everything the OP mentioned is true. it's magical and it's amazing to play at ultra-wide monitor ( running Samsung 49 odyssey G9 Neo ). but yeah it's not really cheap or for the people that want to click 2 clicks on the controller to be in the game)

You get what you pay for and the prices get crazier the more you try to have the top end.

But for console equivalent settings and framerates?

Richard is basically using a mid range CPU / GPU and is keeping up with console equivalent settings even with an intel 1st gen with bad drivers. Find an AMD 6700 XT for $20 more and you're ahead. His setup will vary between $700-$900 depending how much you follow the component deals.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Today PC are amazing! Especially if you can put almost everything it into Mini-ITX.

Mini ITX is love, Mini ITX is life. Console size with PC power will never fail to amaze me
Stop it please, I need no desires and this is playing around my plans to move to mITX :(

The only thing stopping me isn't even a good case, it's the motherboard, I think if I'm gonna move to mITX and get a new board then why not switch to AM5? Then I'll remember how expensive it would be and stfo myself :(

StormCell

The only really big loss I see for console (vs PC) are some of the bigger more ambitious mods. Skyrim has some incredibly ambitious mods that far exceed the size limit allowed by console. Can't play BotW in 4K with enhanced textures and raytracing on console.

But other than that, the gains in visual fidelity are a diminishing return. For some things like Nintendo Switch, it's a huge difference, but coming from XSX/PS5 you're not likely to see a whole lot unless the console version's framerate is just poor. Even then, that's usually down to choice and poor optimization. There's really not any games that can't be done, presently, on console. The rat race for ever more photo realistic graphics is a bit tiresome.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ehh I can go either way really except when frame rate is sub par.

The graphical differences between the new consoles and pc are nothing like during the ps3 / 360 time.

Top Bottom