• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC sure is something magical

Griffon

The only issue is that GPU prices are still not going down even tho their sale numbers are at an all time low.

Thankfully for the price of a single low-range GPU, you can get a whole Steam Deck, and that thing is absolutely amazing.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You can emulate everything but often not really as good as the real deal until you really get deep into it.
emulation of most consoles made before 2000 is pretty much perfect. i can agree for 7th gen tho. PS3 and 360 emulation isnt fully there yet and playing Wii/DS/3DS on anything that isnt original hardware is just asking for complications and trouble (thanks to the control schemes)

plus there's just some outright dated/bad emulators like PCSX2 which really is so far behind Dolphin when it comes to compatibility, support and features it's crazy

Personally i love emulation, it's crazy how reverse engineering is capable of things like this... but the recent decompilation projects of games like Mario 64, Sonic, Jak, OOT, they're the future of retro video game preservation. Much easier to mod, can be played on every device that it's ported to, better performance than emulator thanks to no translation overhead, and people can properly read the code and understand what made the controls and the physics of these games feel so damn good to play.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It CAN be a bitch, but once it's complete and you have that sense of accomplishment? Hooo boy, it's a hell of a drug.

I love it so much i spent far too much time in both.

x51mAS3.jpg

hUVMOQR.jpg

clampzyn

The only issue is that GPU prices are still not going down even tho their sale numbers are at an all time low.

Thankfully for the price of a single low-range GPU, you can get a whole Steam Deck, and that thing is absolutely amazing.

It's going down slowly because they want to sell their last gen cards which they overstocked, once all of the stocks is gone expect more price cuts.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
man i gotta get around to play those games, my friend gifted me the sequel on steam a couple weeks ago and i havent touched it. strange too since i love building PCs

Honestly there excellent tools especially if your wanting a compact build (I was trying to make one but the 5000 series processors run hot)

You can test which brand name coolers and GPU's will fit in certain cases, and with the none X 7000 AMD chips finally opening up micro ATX cases in terms of temps there is the potential to once again get a real power house going, it all depends on how the lower end (and hopefully smaller) cards do, but if there's anything like

vCJAhiu.jpg

Compact is back on the menu boys.

Last edited:

zephiross

Limitless libraries of Retro/Indie/AA gems. Ever improving unique hardware & software features. Multi-controller support & capabilities. The power of Modding. Steam. Grand Emulation scene for those GBC/N64...PS2/PS3/X360/Switch jams & Classics. Up to 8K/120fps+ gaming. Insane Backwards Compatibility..

Not a Masterracer😜. Love all my Consoles for their own great reasons.. But I just adore the feel, freedom & magical world of PC. It's really special.. Love the awesome community as well💪.

Gosh. Thanks @OverHeat. Really appreciate.
I agree with all of this (especially modding and unique hardware/software features), but one big downside of PC gaming is the amount of tinkering needed compared to consoles where what is supposed to work works 100% of the time.

On PC you are always just one little issue away from a multi-hours deep dive in "why the fuck is this (not) happening"

But despite that, I went from being an exclusively console gamers to a majoritarily PC gamer.

EDIT: And the price is also a massive downside lol

Last edited:

StormCell

emulation of most consoles made before 2000 is pretty much perfect. i can agree for 7th gen tho. PS3 and 360 emulation isnt fully there yet and playing Wii/DS/3DS on anything that isnt original hardware is just asking for complications and trouble (thanks to the control schemes)
I'm pretty happy with my DS emulation experience on Series X. For the longest time, all I ever wanted was to play Pokemon on my TV. It finally came to Switch, but I honestly don't much like the games they're cranking out these days. It's been a real downer waiting for Nintendo to at least make the GBC or GBA games available on anything besides a handheld and I'm not going out of my way to find the hardware that made this possible ~100 years ago. So, being able to play HeartGold on my Series X has been awesome. My screen layout is just perfect, and I'm able to have the main screen I'm looking at fill up 80% of my TV while displaying both screens beside it in the other 20% of the screen. A click of the right stick alternates which screen is displayed big, the right stick controls stylus, and right trigger applies the stylus. I can actually draw with it reasonably well! I'm damn good at drawing seals that way in Dawn of Sorrow!

Is it 100% perfect? Eh, it's about 95%. I've upscaled the image by 2x. I would go even higher but it seems to be causing the music to play more slowly. If anyone has any experience with this or a solution that will work on Series X I would be appreciative!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I would go even higher but it seems to be causing the music to play more slowly. If anyone has any experience with this or a solution that will work on Series X I would be appreciative!
the music plays slower because the game is running slower. upresing DS games is far more taxing than upresing PS1 games because the system is much more powerful and much more demanding despite having similar visuals

Limitless libraries of Retro/Indie/AA gems. Ever improving unique hardware & software features. Multi-controller support & capabilities. The power of Modding. Steam. Grand Emulation scene for those GBC/N64...PS2/PS3/X360/Switch jams & Classics. Up to 8K/120fps+ gaming. Insane Backwards Compatibility..

Not a Masterracer😜. Love all my Consoles for their own great reasons.. But I just adore the feel, freedom & magical world of PC. It's really special.. Love the awesome community as well💪.

Gosh. Thanks @OverHeat. Really appreciate.
I've played on PC since like 1997 (I think it was around here but I'm not 100% sure since I was 6 lol) but emulation is never something I've been able to get into.

Like I could boot up any PS2 game in 4K right now but I'd rather pop the disc into my PS2 or BC PS3 and play there. I think the only game I've ever completed on an emulator was WWHD as I refuse to buy another WiiU just for 1 Zelda game.
I was a console gamer as a kid. Got into PC gaming in High School but back then it was so expensive i couldn't afford anything good to play the new games like Quake.

Got back into PC gaming around 2013 thanks to GAF and I never looked back. I love PC gaming!!
When I was a little kid we had a shitty PC and a PS1. I really only played JRPGs and horror games on console, while I played everything else on PC (Jane's games, Quake, etc). I'm sure I was running everything at like 15fps but I didn't know any better. When the PS2 came out I played exclusively on console until like 2013 when I built a really budget system to play RPG Maker horror games and relive some old stuff but I was still 95% console. I ended up selling it to someone for like $200 or something.

PUBG is what made me build a new computer. That game looked so damn fun and two of my best friends at the time had been playing on PC because of LoL (I actually built both of their computers because at the time I was building PCs for extra money). That's what got me back into the space, and I've built multiple builds for myself since.
Stop it please, I need no desires and this is playing around my plans to move to mITX :(

The only thing stopping me isn't even a good case, it's the motherboard, I think if I'm gonna move to mITX and get a new board then why not switch to AM5? Then I'll remember how expensive it would be and stfo myself :(
mITX is amazing, and I can never go back to a normal tower ever again. I have the Lian Li Dan A4 H20 case with a RTX 3080 and a 3700x in it and it's great. It's been a perfect case for me in terms of cost versus size/features.
Most of my favorite games are exclusively on PC.
It's all about taste much like everything else in the world. Some people's taste line up with only PC while others on console. I love PC but I'm still probably 50/50 with consoles playtime wise.
On the contrary, gaming has been magical for me since I left PC gaming 2 years ago.
As long as you are happy then it doesn't matter where you play. Ignore PCMR, they can't possibly imagine someone having different tastes and priorities then them.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Actually building a PC still sucks ass though.

Steam Deck >>>> building a PC
If you like having the power of the PS4 in your hand I guess.

Building and maintaining a PC is easier than ever these days. The "I need a new PC" thread has parts lists for multiple builds that you pretty much just assemble. The main complexity is knowing what parts work together but the internet will just tell you. Ten years ago I would have agreed with you but not now.

StormCell

the music plays slower because the game is running slower. upresing DS games is far more taxing than upresing PS1 games because the system is much more powerful and much more demanding despite having similar visuals
Well thankfully doing 2x resolution doesn't appear to have a noticeable slowdown and does clean it up quite nicely.

StormCell

PC does nothing for me. I ditched those heavy, stationary, archaic towers a long time ago. Thank God for tablets, chrome books and smartphones.
"PC does nothing for me. I ditched those heavy, stationary, archaic towers a long time ago. Thank God for completely locked down walled in devices that require jail breaking to run anything not approved by the walled garden overlords!"

Literally what you just said.

Cramoss

for you, it's literally like magic... it doesn't exist
Oh it does, it's just that after 20 years of gaming on PC, got bored of all the issues I'ved had many times on different sets of hardware. Maybe I just have way less patience than before.

I'm more of a lazy fuck right now due to work and family, so console it's more than enough for me.

AndrewRyan

As much of a headaches PC can be, I fucking love it! I started adding more HDD's and installing so many games from my steam account. No more uninstalling to save space. Now i have a massive library of games i can randomly choose to play in an instant. Throw in VR gaming and emulation and everything else a computer can do, truly awesome!
Adding a 2Gb SSD is like placing a sponge in a pool of water, it just soaks up the games! Then there's the 12Gb 7200rpm heffer for the ones you're not ready to admit you'll never play.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Oh it does, it's just that after 20 years of gaming on PC, got bored of all the issues I'ved had many times on different sets of hardware. Maybe I just have way less patience than before.

I'm more of a lazy fuck right now due to work and family, so console it's more than enough for me.
yea i understand that
i was making a joke

Chastten

Banned
Objectively speaking, PC is by far the best place to play almost any game for all the reasons you give.

Still, I barely play games on it. For some reason, whenever I play a game on PC, I find myself alt-tabbing to my browser, or to whatever, at even the slightest loading screen. I just get extremely distracted when playing games on PC most of the time. It's weird. I have tons of jRPG's on Steam that would run far better than they do on my Switch or PS4 but so far I have played pretty much none of them. I'm pretty sure that's just a me-thing, but yeah, it keeps me from playing anything seriously on it.

Ah.....yeah, if that is all then certainly no need for PC.

It's still great for gaming though. :messenger_sunglasses: Obviously not for everyone.
To each his or her own. I just thought I'd add some flair to the thread since it was clearly designed for boasting/praise.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This motherfucker wants to have wheels on his gaming systems or what.
Found the perfect computer for that
IyB8EXzSK8YqKFGfpQrg638Mn7ji7fGdbb19sAZU7II.jpg

it is funny but i actually genuinely want brand themed PCs like this back, they look so fucking cool

That hotwheels PC is one of the few from the 90s that i feel aged really well design wise. In a sea of beige and black this really looks great.

Last edited:

MikeM

Agreed for the most part.

I joined PC after having consoles for 10+ years. I have always had consoles but dabbled in PC sometimes. I recently built a 5600/6700xt but then upgraded to a 7900xt recently which demolishes my PS5. I split my time between them 50/50 as for whatever reason, PS5 just feels like home. Can’t explain it really. But anything that doesn’t have a 60fps or higher option is automatically PC.

Fuck 30fps.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Adding a 2Gb SSD is like placing a sponge in a pool of water, it just soaks up the games! Then there's the 12Gb 7200rpm heffer for the ones you're not ready to admit you'll never play.
... you might wanna replace that G in GB with a T buddy. 2gb of space could store like 4 indie titles LOL

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah it’s great!
I’m embarrassed that I once got a ban for telling PC gamers to go talk somewhere else than in my console thread. You live and you learn. Bought my first real gaming PC in 2014, gsync and all, 780ti and i7. I’ve not once regret jumping in.
Only thing I don’t like is the cost of having highend parts. And Sony’s delayed PC versions.

Holammer

Found the perfect computer for that
IyB8EXzSK8YqKFGfpQrg638Mn7ji7fGdbb19sAZU7II.jpg

it is funny but i actually genuinely want brand themed PCs like this back, they look so fucking cool

That hotwheels PC is one of the few from the 90s that i feel aged really well design wise. In a sea of beige and black this really looks great.
I want a PC case, monitor & other peripherals with the 80's grey/beige plastic look.
I demand retro!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Jokes on him, i have my pc in a cart with wheels and i can move it around.

(not even joking)
That's cool, bet it comes in handy when cleaning around.

I want a PC case, monitor & other peripherals with the 80's grey/beige plastic look.
I demand retro!
Don't forget the turbo button!

GHG

The thing that most people don't really talk about with PC gaming is that you can have exactly the type of experience you want with zero restrictions. You have near unlimited choice when it comes to input devices and in terms of how you want to run your games (resolution framerate, etc). That's why it will always be the best place to play games provided you're at least a little bit technically literate (and to be honest you should be in this day and age).

As far as I'm concerned if you only have the choice of one piece of hardware then it should be PC. There are so many games and experiences that you can have on the platform that simply aren't available elsewhere.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I demand retro!
To each their own then. I like a colorful PC but none of that rgb trash. Pcs with an actual color scheme and theme are what gets me giddy. Fully black pcs are fine too though

For retro computers I also prefer the 80s stuff, they're also beige but each 80s PC really had a style to them like the Tandy or the c64. Their designs are distinct. Many 90s pcs come off looking the same

Last edited:
Good for you, OP that you're so delighted in PC gaming.

I would be more interested if the hardware costs weren't so obscene.

I don't want to have to sell a kidney just to enjoy my gaming hobby.

And before any of you comes at me to argue that you don't need to buy high-end hardware. To enjoy all the latest games in 8k 120fps like the OP is singing about, you absolutely do.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Good for you, OP that you're so delighted in PC gaming.

I would be more interested if the hardware costs weren't so obscene.

I don't want to have to sell a kidney just to enjoy my gaming hobby.

And before any of you comes at me to argue that you don't need to buy high-end hardware. To enjoy all the latest games in 8k 120fps like the OP is signing about, you absolutely do.

Kidney's are overrated, bro

Top Bottom