• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC sure is something magical

Kacho

I just can't see myself using consoles as my main platform anymore. When looking at the stuff i'm playing now and will play eventually i realize almost none of it is on the new consoles, or just doesn't play as well on them.
Yeah I continue to drift away from consoles as the years go on. The simplicity of the console experience is really appealing but it falls apart when I’m in a game.

This looks way better on PC
This looks much smoother on PC
The controls way better on PC
Etc

My old laptop died a few weeks ago so I had to buy a new one. It was $900 so nearly twice the cost of a PS5 but I must say it's been worth it so far.

I plugged this thing into my TV, and I bought a couch desk where I can mouse and keyboard comfortably - it's been a game changer. I've always steered away from PC gaming now that I'm older because I don't want to be stuck at a desk. Now I'm playing more games than I have in years. I play at 1080p on this 60" TV and it's more than enough for me since I mostly play old games or games that don't have heavy requirements anyway. Everything is in steady 60 fps which feels smooth as hell for a console peon - last night I stayed up til 3 am to beat Portal lol.

My friends have all moved on to PC now anyway - Discord makes it super easy to connect and voice chat. We are deep in a Gloomhaven campaign right now which is an experience I can't get from a console. Also playing WoW on the couch has been amazing and is another experience I can't get from console. Being able to quickly pull up a web browser when I get stuck in a game is also great.

I think I'm a convert.

//DEVIL//

That's on you. Mine cost 1600€ and I'm playing everything at max settings in between 1440p and 4K. DLSS helps a lot, and at most I have to disable RTX features which honestly isn't that much of a loss, imo.
when you paying that much and you are still at 2k with dlss and no rtx, you are a PS5 level because guess what? PS5 is also FSR at 2k or whatever with shitty to no RTX. now compare prices.

The only really big loss I see for console (vs PC) are some of the bigger more ambitious mods. Skyrim has some incredibly ambitious mods that far exceed the size limit allowed by console. Can't play BotW in 4K with enhanced textures and raytracing on console.

But other than that, the gains in visual fidelity are a diminishing return. For some things like Nintendo Switch, it's a huge difference, but coming from XSX/PS5 you're not likely to see a whole lot unless the console version's framerate is just poor. Even then, that's usually down to choice and poor optimization. There's really not any games that can't be done, presently, on console. The rat race for ever more photo realistic graphics is a bit tiresome.

I agree. I am not against PC gaming and I prefer it. I am just saying it's not really fair to compare PC with all its glory to consoles. the price difference alone makes them a completely different product.

Ill give you an example. the other day I wanted to buy a Lian li fans infinite ( 11 fans in total). the price of these fans was 350$ or so ALONE ). man a digital PS5 is friggin 400$.

PC is very expensive.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
when you paying that much and you are still at 2k with dlss and no rtx, you are a PS5 level because guess what? PS5 is also FSR at 2k or whatever with shitty to no RTX. now compare prices.
I use DLSS for 4K, 2K I run native and I've been able to use RTX in some games, like in Metro Exodus or Cyberpunk to some extent. Also I doubt the PS5 games are running at something equivalent to PC max settings.

Besides the PS5 just plays games while I can do much more with a PC. Honestly I've always seen price comparisons between PC and consoles the silliest thing ever.

//DEVIL//

I use DLSS for 4K, 2K I run native and I've been able to use RTX in some games, like in Metro Exodus or Cyberpunk to some extent. Also I doubt the PS5 games are running at something equivalent to PC max settings.

Besides the PS5 just plays games while I can do much more with a PC. Honestly I've always seen price comparisons between PC and consoles the silliest thing ever.
your last comment is exactly what my whole post was about. the price difference between them is very high they are not in the same league.

400$ PS5 vs 1500+ PC minimum. how is that even fair lol.

Stop it please, I need no desires and this is playing around my plans to move to mITX :(
z74PUykh.jpg

That's my PC. 12600K + 3070 + 32GB. 5 Litres + HDPlex 400w PSU (old photo)

Can you resist?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
your last comment is exactly what my whole post was about. the price difference between them is very high they are not in the same league.

400$ PS5 vs 1500+ PC minimum. how is that even fair lol.
I'm kinda lazy so I'm not gonna do it, but imagine this post was a list with all the stuff I can do on PC that I can't do on a console. Posts like that have been posted a million times on this forum already.

I could also argue that to those 400$ you have to add the cost of fees for playing online, which you don't have on PC, and 70$-80€ games, which you can avoid on PC.

As I already said, comparing prices between consoles and a PC is silly. So please stop doing that while qouting me because I'm not going to engage in this kind of shit conversation.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Microsoft Windows store is their attempt at a walled garden and game pass is the acceptable face of that.
Such a huge wall between that and Steam/Gog/Epic, etc. I play whatever I want on whatever launcher I can get the content for the cheapest on.

StormCell

PC is too troublesome. Console for games for life
This is something oft overlooked and a cause of serious debate whenever PC gamers see it stated. When I game on PC, I'm rarely ever satisfied with the vanilla install of any game. I've always got to tinker around. Some things literally can't be helped. I recall playing Skyrim and noticing some seriously disturbing z-fighting on the horizon. I simply could not enjoy the game with all the flickering textures on the mountains. In the end, the fix ended up being something simple but it wasn't something resolved for that play session. Play session == ruined.

That's never going to change, and I see plenty of PC gamers complaining about stuttering and other issues. It's a PC fact of life.

GymWolf

This is something oft overlooked and a cause of serious debate whenever PC gamers see it stated. When I game on PC, I'm rarely ever satisfied with the vanilla install of any game. I've always got to tinker around. Some things literally can't be helped. I recall playing Skyrim and noticing some seriously disturbing z-fighting on the horizon. I simply could not enjoy the game with all the flickering textures on the mountains. In the end, the fix ended up being something simple but it wasn't something resolved for that play session. Play session == ruined.

That's never going to change, and I see plenty of PC gamers complaining about stuttering and other issues. It's a PC fact of life.
Tbf not everyone has the compulsion to waste 3 hours fixing a minor graphic problem...

How the fuck does it even turn on with a 3070/12600k and a 400w psu when my 550w is barely ok for my 2070super/8600k??
It's heavily undervolted.
I'm always GPU bound so I limit CPU power to 70w. Typical CPU usage is 35-50w (about 70 in Cinebench multi)
GPU is undervolted to 1740Mhz@825mv and typical GPU usage is 120-150w max. It's funny but performance is almost stock.
I use very good custom PSU. (HDPlex 400w). Have plenty of room (about 100w) but 12600k is much hotter than I've expected so it's thermal limited (tuned for 75c max)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

You had some problems with a game, doesn't mean everyone is having problems with every game. Also, if that'd happen on a console you'd be screwed over instead of able to fix it by yourself.

Skifi28

Tbf not everyone has the compulsion to waste 3 hours fixing a minor graphic problem...
If I put together all the time I've spent troubleshooting things over the past 20 years, I'd probably end up with an extra university degree. It was fun back then, but I just don't have the energy these days after coming home from work. If an issue appears, I usually just quit and do something else instead (like play on console).

//DEVIL//

I'm kinda lazy so I'm not gonna do it, but imagine this post was a list with all the stuff I can do on PC that I can't do on a console. Posts like that have been posted a million times on this forum already.

I could also argue that to those 400$ you have to add the cost of fees for playing online, which you don't have on PC, and 70$-80€ games, which you can avoid on PC.

As I already said, comparing prices between consoles and a PC is silly. So please stop doing that while qouting me because I'm not going to engage in this kind of shit conversation.
You the missing the point. I am agreeing with you.

I just find these 2 systems are not in the same category it's not worth comparing. Ps5 doesn't even have a browser :/

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Always has been.

I was pcmr until 2014 or whenever xbox one got released. Started playing console because I spent more time in the living room.

Ended plugin my pc to the TV and now me and my gf just have our computers next to each other in there.

My xbox is in the bedroom to play on.

GymWolf

If I put together all the time I've spent troubleshooting things over the past 20 years, I'd probably end up with an extra university degree. It was fun back then, but I just don't have the energy these days after coming home from work. If an issue appears, I usually just quit and do something else instead (like play on console).
I must be super lucky because i don't even know what the fuck is a troubleshot and the only problem i had in the past 10+ years was a faulty ram stick.

Now, dealing with some broken games is entire different thing...i still have nightmares about the avengers game...

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

You the missing the point. I am agreeing with you.

I just find these 2 systems are not in the same category it's not worth comparing. Ps5 doesn't even have a browser :/
lol buddy I thought we were having an argument. Sorry if my last post was kinda mean. :goog_relieved:

Guess we agree then. I don't have nothing against consoles and I can understand why someone prefers them, but imo once you go PC it's hard to go back.

StormCell

If you had seen it, it was far from a minor graphical problem. The amount of z-fighting was incredible. To be fair to Bethesda, it was a problem for a specific brand of GPU and driver. This is just my example of "that one time" where I could actually fix the issue. My experience with the SteamLink and Steam streaming started out grand and by the end of the week was a tragedy filled with a persistent hitch every ~10 seconds. No amount of rolling back updates or drivers ever resolved that bitch and I gave up on it for good.

I don't like that "PC gamers" can never just accept that there are nuances and aggravations that come along with PC gaming. Not everything requires disclaimer or defense. Some things work out of the box like a charm provided you meet the recommended requirements and don't ask for too much in the settings. Some games only work perfectly with specific setups and drivers -- yes, it's due to poor development and not PC's fault at all, but that's a reality of PC gaming. Yes, some games run like shit on Playstation and Xbox, and that is a reality. However, the odds of a game being optimized to run on the consoles are a bit better than you're going to get on PC. However, the PC gaming community are absolute masters of fixing shitty developer's games.

It's just a mixed bag. Like I said, I'm the guy who rarely just plays it vanilla and so I often end up fighting my shit about once a week because something changed or another patch rolled in. I was also the guy buying a 2.4 GHz CPU back in the day and pushing that thing to 3.8 GHz because. One day, I came home and that overclock that had worked great for several months no longer worked and I rolled it back to 3.6 Ghz to get it stable. That's a great thing about PCs and also a minor trouble -- could have just left it at stock speeds but nah it's there to tinker with.

Skifi28

I must be super lucky because i don't even know how to make a troubleshot and the only problem i had in the past 10+ years was a faulty ram stick.

Now, dealing with some broken games is another hand entirely...
Hardware issues are the worst for sure, you can't even troubleshoot without extra parts or tools (I make a habit of always having a spare GPU/RAM/PSU). But software issues can also be really fucking annoying, from games not working properly to just random windows stuff breaking. Right now for example I have an issue where my screen randomly refuses to go to sleep for like a week, then it fixes itself for a couple of days and the cycle begins anew. So many hours wasted with nothing to show for it, only solution at this point would be to format which I'd rather not due to some sensitive software I have installed. I've kinda given up...!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hardware issues are the worst for sure, you can't even troubleshoot without extra parts or tools (I make a habbit of always having a spare GPU/RAM/PSU). But software issues can also be really fucking annoying, from games not working properly to just random windows stuff breaking. Right now for example I have an issue where my screen randomly refuses to go to sleep for like a week, then it fixes itself for a couple of days and the cycle begins anew. So many hours wasted with nothing to show for it, only solution at this point would be to format which I'd rather not due to some sensitive software I have installed. I've kinda given up...!
If my pc gaming life was like yours, i would have abandoned pc gaming years ago, not gonna lie.

LostDonkey

Love it. But.....after being primarily PC for YEARS it has become prohibitively expensive for me to keep up. I'm a console fella now, even though I still cringe at the performance in some games, it's an easy life.

Maybe, just maybe in the future I may build another rig but I'm gonna ride out on PS5 and Series X for a few years yet. But yes, the freedom, the mods, the POWER!! PC is my preferred platform.

GymWolf

If you had seen it, it was far from a minor graphical problem. The amount of z-fighting was incredible. To be fair to Bethesda, it was a problem for a specific brand of GPU and driver. This is just my example of "that one time" where I could actually fix the issue. My experience with the SteamLink and Steam streaming started out grand and by the end of the week was a tragedy filled with a persistent hitch every ~10 seconds. No amount of rolling back updates or drivers ever resolved that bitch and I gave up on it for good.

I don't like that "PC gamers" can never just accept that there are nuances and aggravations that come along with PC gaming. Not everything requires disclaimer or defense. Some things work out of the box like a charm provided you meet the recommended requirements and don't ask for too much in the settings. Some games only work perfectly with specific setups and drivers -- yes, it's due to poor development and not PC's fault at all, but that's a reality of PC gaming. Yes, some games run like shit on Playstation and Xbox, and that is a reality. However, the odds of a game being optimized to run on the consoles are a bit better than you're going to get on PC. However, the PC gaming community are absolute masters of fixing shitty developer's games.

It's just a mixed bag. Like I said, I'm the guy who rarely just plays it vanilla and so I often end up fighting my shit about once a week because something changed or another patch rolled in. I was also the guy buying a 2.4 GHz CPU back in the day and pushing that thing to 3.8 GHz because. One day, I came home and that overclock that had worked great for several months no longer worked and I rolled it back to 3.6 Ghz to get it stable. That's a great thing about PCs and also a minor trouble -- could have just left it at stock speeds but nah it's there to tinker with.
I have the opposite mentality, the less i have to deal with pc bullshittery, the more happy i am.

I never overclock, i barely mod anything because i don't wanna lose time with incompatibility shit etc.

I only like to play way better than how i do on console, the pc for me is only that, a more powerfull and customizable console.

Doctors and masterace hates me.

Sure I can, my PC is around yours in terms of power... Put a picture of your mITX setup and you'll have me for sure ;)
I've ordered another...
This baby:
PcCooler-I100-A4.jpg

It's PCcooler L100. It's bit more practical and can accomodate 3080/3080ti. Also a much looser PSU restrictions as it uses SFX PSU.
NVIDIA and AIB partners can fuck themselves with their 4070ti three-cooler 'designs'. No GPU for me this gen.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You had some problems with a game, doesn't mean everyone is having problems with every game. Also, if that'd happen on a console you'd be screwed over instead of able to fix it by yourself.
This is one of the reasons I stayed PC mainly after thinking about it a lot last year... not being able to set my game to 1080p or some settings that make it run at 60 fps and just eat whatever console mode devs let me have... Hmmm no, this is specially troublesome in some japanese games (many old ones though) where I cannot change the voices language to japanese even if the files are in the installation. Sometimes they're not though, but even that isn't a problem on PC 9 times out of 10, on console you don't have the tedium because you don't even have the option

StormCell

If my pc gaming life was like yours, i would have abandoned pc gaming years ago, not gonna lie.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: That's not even that bad... You can always just turn the display off or shut the computer down when done. Not a big issue but certainly annoying af when you just want to walk away and don't want to come back to severe burn in.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
jurassic park water GIF

I can hear a wild rofif rofif approaching. Hold on to your butts folks.

YOU FOOL YOUVE SUMMONED HIM
WE'RE DOOMED

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF
I WOULD FIND THIS ANYWAY !!!

Look Out Uh Oh GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Well tbh OP is not wrong. You can do everything on pc. It's just a matter of money and more important - patience and time.
You can emulate everything but often not really as good as the real deal until you really get deep into it.
There are and always were issues on technical and software side but in the past I was more tolerant because parts were cheaper and easier to excuse. That's probably about it.
PCgamingwiki exists and it's always worth checking it out for each new game. The sorry state of new games launching recently is quite something...

Nothing to argue here, move along. Pc is good :p
I still am a big fan of console gaming mainly for the sake of purity of it. You get the game that was prepared this specific way for this hardware. I feel like I am playing the version intended. For cheaper and with less issues.
But pc is great. I use it every day. already finished Vampire survivors, Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe and Venineth this year.
Next I play to replay Metro Exodus on ps5 just to compare. I've replayed pc enhanced version but it crashed few times and had some issues. ps5 version seems pretty good so far. Dualsense is cool feature too.

On the big upside - PC ps3 emulation is up to the point that THE DARKNESS finally runs at 60fps without graphical errors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't force msaa or any higher resolution just yet but I am waiting for that day!

edit: lol new DF video just in time. Let me say again - pc is fine but I will still be choosing ps5 ports for new games. It was a correct choice with Elden Ring and Callisto. Chosing village on pc was a mistake and I wish I had gone with ps5 version though

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
20230101-150159.jpg

Hail pc master race. PS5 behind the monitor gathers dust. Bought it thinking it was going to be flooded with exclusives. It's just full of upgraded ps4 games which IMO isn't worth 500 to play a game that cost me 80 euros when I can get the same game on ps4 for 60 wtf. That's my problem I'm sure everyone here is happy with the PS5. Lets hope 2023 it better and full of titles.

Top Bottom