• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC sure is something magical

lefty1117

Gold Member
I was a console gamer as a kid. Got into PC gaming in High School but back then it was so expensive i couldn't afford anything good to play the new games like Quake.

Got back into PC gaming around 2013 thanks to GAF and I never looked back. I love PC gaming!!

Yeah I am into the emulation scene right now, going back and emulating all the systems I couldn't afford as a kid in the 80s/90s. I had an Atari ST for a little bit, but my buddy had an Amiga 500 which caused me no end of jealousy. Now I can go back and emulate both.

Also, Breath of the Wild on PC is the only way to play it imo ... can't go back after playing it in high rez with graphics updates

GHG

Kidney's are overrated, bro

You only need one so...

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Kataploom

Gold Member
I installed linux on my a different partition on my PC about a month ago and installed Steam. Very impressed with how well Proton works. I'm hoping Steam releases their own full distribution at some point.
They did... SteamOS was a thing, but to be honest it was before proton so it was shit... Currently a gaming PC with Linux and a modern SteamOS would be awesome... Actually, this is the perfecta time for steam machines to come back in the form of prebuilt mini-Itx PC with steam-themed cases and a controller

Topher

Gold Member
They did... SteamOS was a thing, but to be honest it was before proton so it was shit... Currently a gaming PC with Linux and a modern SteamOS would be awesome... Actually, this is the perfecta time for steam machines to come back in the form of prebuilt mini-Itx PC with steam-themed cases and a controller

Yeah, should have said a newer version of SteamOS. Right now you can use the Steam Deck OS that is being maintained on github (holoiso, I believe) but it is limited. Nvidia support isn't there yet. A fully Valve supported release would be awesome though.

Crayon

I'd encourage console players to get steam and plug a controller into your laptop and see where it goes. You already have a console to play the graphics-heavy stuff so you don't need a fat pc. You'll have access to emulation, the indies that only come to console 2 years later if they hit it big and the ones that don't, and all those games from 7th-gen back but upgraded from your old console versions.

I don't know how you live without magic carpet.
727618d2-6c24-436e-9aa0-79440e5e8b64_text.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah, should have said a newer version of SteamOS. Right now you can use the Steam Deck OS that is being maintained on github (holoiso, I believe) but it is limited. Nvidia support isn't there yet. A fully Valve supported release would be awesome though.
Well, a good move from AMD with Steam could probably set some alarms in Nvidia... I wish they actually tried some partnership to move Linux gaming forward, but to be honest the philosophy of Linux being free software would be broken once there is proprietary software installed anyway, so Windows would still make sense mostly

Topher

Gold Member
Well, a good move from AMD with Steam could probably set some alarms in Nvidia... I wish they actually tried some partnership to move Linux gaming forward, but to be honest the philosophy of Linux being free software would be broken once there is proprietary software installed anyway, so Windows would still make sense mostly

It is up to each person really how far they want to take that "philosophy". Personally, I don't care if a program is open source or not as long as it works. Linux has a ways to go for me to make it my primary gaming OS from a pragmatic standpoint rather than an idealistic philosophy. So I'd be all for the partnerships you are talking about.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Optimizing your gaming experience with a 10+ year old PC game be like:
gigachad-chad.gif

But trying to do the same with most of the modern PC games that require you to login into 10 different DutchMasters accounts for authentication before you even see a splash screen is more like:
6c6.gif

I guess you only play on Switch and android/iOS
I play on Series X and S, and PS5. The only one that is stationary is the PS5, because I can play Series X, S and One X games all throughout my house with all digital gaming and cloud saves. Works seamlessly on Xbox.

A.Romero

I started playing with consoles. Mid 90's I had access to a computer that could only run the most basic games but had Internet. A few years later got my hands on a PC that didn't have a discrete GPU but would run some games. I remember playing Max Payne in that set up.

I later ordered my first custom PC from a store that actually allowed me to see how they build it and learn the basics. I didn't get a PC with a true discrete GPU until I was in college and got to play some of my fav games such as Battlefield 1942 and Rome: Total War. I did have a PS2 during those times and later got an Xbox for a gift. Most of my gaming was done in consoles because I could get the games second hand and most of the games I wanted to play (MGS2, MGS3, GTA, Yakuza, etc) either didn't have a PC port or it wasn't that good.

I had to get rid of my PC because I moved to another country and as soon as I had the chance built another one but pretty basic (couldn't afford more) but eventually a friend convinced me to get a GPU (A 4770 if I remember correctly) and never turned back. I still have Playstation consoles but whatever game is available multiplat I rather play it on PC because usually more comfortable for me to play everything from a single place with a lot of flexibility and games are usually cheaper. Also I don't have to worry a lot about BC. Right now I have a PSOne and a PS2 put away in boxes and some games (very few) but I could not play them without a lot of inconvenience (no HDMI interface, wired controllers, missing memory cards). With PC that's just not an issue. Yes, it might need a few hours of configurations to get it working but still, it's amazing that is possible.

Yes, there have been issues sometimes like the time I could not play Gears of War 3 after buying it because Windows update was crapping out or I could never play the Halo campaign because it just wouldn't work but the amount of hours the machine has given me and all the knowledge I have acquired thanks to it make it worth it to do a few hours of troubleshooting.

I can't deny the amazing value consoles have this gen, though. I just built a new PC with a 13600K CPU and a 3070 GPU and to be honest is not that big of a difference. It's nice to have stuff like DLSS and framerate is usually better on top of VR but I don't know if it's really worth the price difference. I paid $700 for my PS5 (no scalpers, just higher prices because of taxes and shitty exchange rate) but I spent close to 2,000 on parts for this build (1250 from CPU, Mobo, RAM, Cooler, PSU and SSD) and about 700 for the GPU a year ago (prices were still very high for GPU's).

No regrets but I'm not sure what my approach will be in the future.

Limitless libraries of Retro/Indie/AA gems. Ever improving unique hardware & software features. Multi-controller support & capabilities. The power of Modding. Steam. Grand Emulation scene for those GBC/N64...PS2/PS3/X360/Switch jams & Classics. Up to 8K/120fps+ gaming. Insane Backwards Compatibility..

Not a Masterracer😜. Love all my Consoles for their own great reasons.. But I just adore the feel, freedom & magical world of PC. It's really special.. Love the awesome community as well💪.

Gosh. Thanks @OverHeat. Really appreciate.

This is one of the many reasons why going forward, I'm going Steamdeck/Nintendo/PC. I'm gonna to be upgrading my PC in the future

I'd encourage console players to get steam and plug a controller into your laptop and see where it goes. You already have a console to play the graphics-heavy stuff so you don't need a fat pc. You'll have access to emulation, the indies that only come to console 2 years later if they hit it big and the ones that don't, and all those games from 7th-gen back but upgraded from your old console versions.

I don't know how you live without magic carpet.
727618d2-6c24-436e-9aa0-79440e5e8b64_text.gif
I tried steam and bought a few games: Witcher, Fallout 1 & 2, Grandia 2 etc. but I hated Steam. Constantly made me authenticate and verify with codes to your email almost every time I played, constantly updating the client, and even when I jumped through hoops to make it work offline, there was a time limit to how long that would work.

It just really felt intrusive and troublesome.

PC gaming just isn't for me. I never liked a lot of the genres or titles that is prevalent on the platform. I've never cared about framerates or performance or modifying games etc. I have tons of consoles and handhelds and a very large backlog already, I don't need or want another platform to bother with.

Crayon

I tried steam and bought a few games: Witcher, Fallout 1 & 2, Grandia 2 etc. but I hated Steam. Constantly made me authenticate and verify with codes to your email almost every time I played, constantly updating the client, and even when I jumped through hoops to make it work offline, there was a time limit to how long that would work.

PC gaming just isn't for me. I never liked a lot of the genres or titles that is prevalent on the platform. I've never cared about framerates or performance or modifying games etc. I have tons of consoles and handhelds and a very large backlog already, I don't need or want another platform to bother with.

Hey at least you tried it out!!! I wish everyone would.

sachos

I love PC. One of the best feelings is when you go back to your old games that were hard to run after getting a big hardware upgrade and finally running them on max settings with good framerate. Biggest ""drawback"" for me is having to go to PCGamingWiki like half the time to solve some stupid bullshit with a game port or to get an FPS unlock patch or something like that and spending the first hour of a game with MSI Afterburner open looking at framerate and frametimes while i optimize the graphics settings but that may be my obsessive personality fault =P

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

This also sounds like modern game consoles though. I've had similar frustrations on the Xbox Series, the Switch, and PlayStation 5. Where my account gets randomly signed out, and I have to sign in again / go through 2FA / email codes, etc. before I could play the digital games I bought. Maybe my ISP decided to rotate my IP addresses? Potentially some sort of other issue, but I've literally at some point had this problem with all of them. These also have the same issues with downloading game updates, OS updates, etc. The Switch seems to be the best about going offline, but like you said even that has limits for your digitally purchased games.

Not making excuses for Steam, this just seems to be a headache with modern gaming in general. The new Steam sign in process is a lot easier if you have a phone - just point the camera at the QR code on the screen and press "Approve" in their app without having to fuck about with passwords or one time codes. I believe PlayStation does something similar now too.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

I've never had such issues honestly... That seems like really really bad luck... Currently I can't open the Game bar on windows for some reason, but I just haven't seen how to fix it... Some issues are not that common or basically just happen to no one else, but you're happy with consoles so stay that way.

In my case, I just don't like playing at 30 fps if I can play at 60, so no matter if I play at consoles settings, I just want 60 fps on all my games unless it's literally impossible for technical reasons.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have been console gamer all my life and I dont think thats going to change. PC is getting lot of games but there are still games will either never come out on PC like Vanillaware games or when they do come out, it much later.

I'm also not much obsessive over graphics to need to have the latest tech, Consoles is more than enough someone like me.

Last edited:
PCs aren't great because you can boast about your settings (isn't money magical hurdedur?!), they are great because it gets almost every game on all consoles and so much more, this was not always true but it is now the place to be if you can only have one machine and want the maximum reach for your dollar.

NinjaBoiX

I totally get the appeal of a PC, I 100% agree that it’s often the best place to enjoy games and I absolutely understand why people get so fanatical about the platform.

It’s just every aspect of owning and using one just seems like such a faff.

I can’t be arsed with the faff.

I love pc so much.

My favorite thing is after spending a ton of money is the BSOD that no pc repair shop can fix.

Pc building is not for me.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I love pc so much.

My favorite thing is after spending a ton of money is the BSOD that no pc repair shop can fix.

Pc building is not for me.
Then you should go to another shop, they're not only scamming you with prices probably but also can't figure out a basic CS problem 🤷

twilo99

Yes, I’ll will always be grateful for the Windows platform for providing so much freedom and creativity in the gaming world.

Kagey K

Banned
I almost bought a new PC last year to to play FF14 and replay Guild Wars 2, Starcraft and a few others.

I opted not to.

Now I recently got a free ps5 and subscribed to PS Premium and I think I would have preferred the PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom