• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC sure is something magical

DavidGzz

Mods alone are a HUGE advantage. I can't tell you how many hundreds of hours those angelic modders have added to so many games from Diablo 1 to Elden Ring.

TrebleShot

I totally get the appeal of a PC, I 100% agree that it’s often the best place to enjoy games and I absolutely understand why people get so fanatical about the platform.

It’s just every aspect of owning and using one just seems like such a faff.

I can’t be arsed with the faff.
The faff is very real , recently built a 4090 rig and got an LG C2 for my desk , it will be for work also.

But the faff is extreme.

I’m playing Valhalla at the moment and whilst the high frames are lovely it has broken low res textures that for the life of me I can’t fix.

I have the game on PS5 and whilst it has some dithering artefacts on the 60fps mode when I’m sat on my couch I can’t really notice it’s a more consistent experience.

M1987

I tried steam and bought a few games: Witcher, Fallout 1 & 2, Grandia 2 etc. but I hated Steam. Constantly made me authenticate and verify with codes to your email almost every time I played, constantly updating the client, and even when I jumped through hoops to make it work offline, there was a time limit to how long that would work.
Really? I got into PC gaming a few weeks ago,and have bought quite a few games on Steam,and it has never asked me to authenticate any game.Apart from the initial setup of the pc,and playing with the graphics settings,it's no different to use than my PS5 or Series X I used to have

Last edited:
Hope you're right op cause I'm going through the hassle of getting a pc built to prepare for all the big game releases this year

what controller should I get on PC if I want everything to be easy and just work?

It was such a pain in the ass trying to get games like dark souls to work with a controller back in the day

Whitecrow

Banned
So you are not a 'gamer' if you dont like indies that brings only lighthearted fun which for some people pales in comparison to AAA with big stories, character development, world building and immersion?

Whats with that stupid mentality?

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

While ive gamed on PC since Quake and Team Fortress 1 - I still never liked how much configuring is required both of hardware and just ingame controls. Even steam games still give issues mapping correctly to certain controllers. Plus I hate sitting at a computer desk to game - never looked into transferring PC to a TV or something.

My Steam library of hundreds is no joke though - not to mention things like the Supermodel 3.
There are many experiences on PC that have yet to translate to consoles. Stuff like the PC Battlefield 1942 and 2. And Arma.

Last edited:

Filben

I never overclock, i barely mod anything because i don't wanna lose time with incompatibility shit etc.
With great power comes... yeah. With all these options available you're sure prone to try them. I don't know how many times I've tinkered with Bethesda games because it was possible and promised to improve the game. Only to drop it after a day of playing because either the game wasn't that good to begin with it, mod incompatibility or simply no interest any more because of some other game.

It's sometimes a relief to simply start a game, set your controls, choose a graphics preset and PLAY the god damn thing. So simple, so difficult at times on PC. Just because you can do otherwise.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Constantly made me authenticate and verify with codes to your email almost every time I played, constantly updating the client
1- This only happens if you change IP constantly, changes between devices constantly.
2- Constantly updates don't exist. Unless you are manually changing constantly between beta and normal client and thinks this is updates.

Hohenheim

Hope you're right op cause I'm going through the hassle of getting a pc built to prepare for all the big game releases this year

what controller should I get on PC if I want everything to be easy and just work?

It was such a pain in the ass trying to get games like dark souls to work with a controller back in the day
I'm very happy with the Razer Wolverine V2 chroma controller.
Feels great in the hands, and the buttons are very clicky and responsive. Not mushy, like many other controllers.
It's wired but that means zero lag, which is very nice.

GymWolf

You should, at least the VGA. It's free frames/input lag.

X360 or Xbox one controllers.
Is it really free when the card operate outside of his comfort frequency and consume more\get hotter?

And for what? 5-10 frames? sometimes more sometimes less?

Never cared in the past and surely i'm not gonna care with a 4080 under my ass.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Is it really free when the card operate outside of his comfort frequency and consume more\get hotter?

And for what? 5-10 frames? sometimes more sometimes less?

Never cared in the past and surely i'm not gonna care with a 4080 under my ass.
The consume added is insignificant and the temps should be the same as normally your fans don't go 100% even with the overclock.

MikeM

I totally get the appeal of a PC, I 100% agree that it’s often the best place to enjoy games and I absolutely understand why people get so fanatical about the platform.

It’s just every aspect of owning and using one just seems like such a faff.

I can’t be arsed with the faff.
I only got back into it two months. Literally all I did was build it, install games/launchers, a couple drivers, setup HDR, then play games. I literally do nothing else. 🤷‍♂️

Thebonehead

Banned
Next time don't chat shit

How SLB1904 SLB1904 sees herself coming into PC threads

Self Defense Fighting GIF

MikeM

I have been console gamer all my life and I dont think thats going to change. PC is getting lot of games but there are still games will either never come out on PC like Vanillaware games or when they do come out, it much later.

I'm also not much obsessive over graphics to need to have the latest tech, Consoles is more than enough someone like me.
There is nothing wrong with that. Console gaming is at the best spot it has ever been in.
Been to multiple shops mate. Didn’t want to waste any more money.
Do you have a shop with a good return policy? If so, buy parts and swap them in your system to see if that solves the problem. If it does not, then return them all then buy a new mobo.

This is assuming you have performed a fresh windows install.

M1987

I use a dualsense,and I can just use the steam app to have it act like a mouse and keyboard

Ev1L AuRoN

PC is perfect for me. I love tinkering, retrogames and experience new technologies.
I got to experience on PC a lot of things that came to consoles years after.
When most of my friends still playing Need for Speed Underground on their PS2's at 30'ish fps and low resolution and presets. I played it at 1280x1024@60 at high settings on my Radeon 9700pro, a whole different experience.
Being an enthusiast of emulation PC is also the place to be.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I tried steam and bought a few games: Witcher, Fallout 1 & 2, Grandia 2 etc. but I hated Steam. Constantly made me authenticate and verify with codes to your email almost every time I played,

What on Earth? That’s not normal at all. I wonder if some security option was checked off in settings that made you have to prove your identity every time?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Xbox controller is hassle free.

Plus I hate sitting at a computer desk to game - never looked into transferring PC to a TV or something.
I literally just plugged my laptop into my HDTV (it's an old VIZIO) with an HDMI cable and turned it on lol. When the desktop popped up on my TV, I went into display settings and set the refresh rate to 60 Hz (or 120 Hz I don't really remember what the TV maxes at). I also switched the TV to "game mode" but that probably doesn't matter.

Most of my Steam games just automatically just work, a few of them like Unreal Tournament 2004 I've had to manually change to 1080p. WoW's new expansion lets you completely customize the UI so I've just scaled it to be readable across the room. Honestly, it's the best gaming experience I've had in years. I bought this desk so I can comfortably use mouse and keyboard while lounging on the couch:

If you have a tower instead of a laptop, I assume it would just work the same way. I've never actually used the laptop's screen - it sits all the way across the room.

Topher

Gold Member
I literally just plugged my laptop into my HDTV (it's an old VIZIO) with an HDMI cable and turned it on lol. When the desktop popped up on my TV, I went into display settings and set the refresh rate to 60 Hz (or 120 Hz I don't really remember what the TV maxes at). I also switched the TV to "game mode" but that probably doesn't matter.

From what I understand, game mode improves input lag.

Did you really have to do that? Normally it auto set to the maximum refresh rate.
I'm not sure if I had to honestly; I had no idea what I was doing.

I've been primarily console gaming 20+ years now so I'm used to plug and play. Whenever I first plug a PC into a monitor, I usually check display settings anyway and I just remember that was a setting I manually changed for whatever reason. The point I was mostly trying to make is that I'm a dumbass and still managed to set up my PC to play on a TV flawlessly lol.

It's been a fantastic experience so far and if anyone hates playing at a desk as much as I do, please do this immediately. I've been replaying all my old PC games on this massive screen and it's like experiencing them for the first time.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Only major flaw with the PC is that even after all this years, with major investments into the platform and software, usability SUCKS when hooked up to a TV. And I don’t want to hear it, I did it for years, it sucks. For years HDR was outright broken in Windows (it might still be), Steam BPM blew ass, navigation without a m+k is still heavily compromised, lapdesks are mostly crap and I hate using them (although this is subjective). I moved my HTPC into my office and hooked it up to a monitor and enjoy using it much more.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Only major flaw with the PC is that even after all this years, with major investments into the platform and software, usability SUCKS when hooked up to a TV. And I don’t want to hear it, I did it for years, it sucks. For years HDR was outright broken in Windows (it might still be), Steam BPM blew ass, navigation without a m+k is still heavily compromised, lapdesks are mostly crap and I hate using them (although this is subjective). I moved my HTPC into my office and hooked it up to a monitor and enjoy using it much more.
For all games or just a few?

Navigation without m+kb is always heavily compromised until someone invents something better/faster/more efficient.

I haven't run into any major flaws for what I'm doing with it. My TV doesn't have HDR, I don't use Steam BPM and I use mouse and keyboard for everything. I don't really see how a controller would change anything, since I've always been able to switch between controller and mouse and keyboard on a whim if I have both plugged in. My TV is just a huge cheap monitor at this point; I've seen no difference in its functionality to my office monitor.

If you want the ultimate gaming experience, I'm sure you're right - but I mean, for those who don't want to set up in a separate room to play PC games I don't see the issue. The one thing keeping me away from PC gaming was the "TV issue" but I decided to give it a shot and I was surprised at how painless it's been.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It is up to each person really how far they want to take that "philosophy". Personally, I don't care if a program is open source or not as long as it works. Linux has a ways to go for me to make it my primary gaming OS from a pragmatic standpoint rather than an idealistic philosophy. So I'd be all for the partnerships you are talking about.
LMAO AMD just announced their official line of prebuilt PCs... They're one step closer to just get a Steam on there:

Imagine something like "stutter-free gaming with pre-cached shaders" and whatever.

diffusionx

Gold Member
For all games or just a few?

Navigation without m+kb is always heavily compromised until someone invents something better/faster/more efficient.
I am talking more for general use, like if I have to update drivers or do general maintenance on the computer, or want to use the “HT” part of my HTPC, etc. After a while I stopped even trying to play m+k focused games on my TV. I even got a Steam Controller so I really did try it all but it never felt good.

What on Earth? That’s not normal at all. I wonder if some security option was checked off in settings that made you have to prove your identity every time?
I think it was because I bought a refurb laptop that had another steam account or something. I have the worst luck with those things lol.

Top Bottom