• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some of the updates from the last page, check back for more (including cool releases without not-already-posted trailers)!

Last edited:

Alexios

WalkingCat who leaked the HP Reverb G2 has some new Quest model/revision stuff/pix to show off...

Last edited:

Alexios

Gee, I wonder what game this is inspired by. It looks pretty neat though! Especially if you like that sort of asymmetrical PVP deal...

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
came here to point out that Microsoft-owned inXile studio is coming up with new AAA VR game Frostpoint:

Wtf, shouldn't they be busy with AAA for xsex? Doesn't Phil hate VR? I'm confused.

Btw, The Mage's Tale got a port to PSVR, so possibly on PS5?

Alexios

The inXile fps sure doesn't look AAA, even compared to indie FPS like Onward (never mind Alyx or MoH).

Together with the release of Onward on the Quest we’ve pushed out a massive patch (v1.8) for PCVR platforms such as Steam and the Oculus Rift.
Version 1.8 upgrades Onward to fully utilize Unity 2019 and the Universal Rendering Pipeline that is included with it, which has allowed us to optimize the game’s performance and prepares us to expand upon the game in the future. Because the game now uses Unity addressables it only loads assets that are being used, drastically reducing memory usage and game load times. Adding to the performance improvements is the fact that Onward now directly compiles to native code.

These changes are great, but do mean that we’ve had to temporarily remove a number of maps: Turbine, Abandoned, Snowpeak and Jungle will return in a patch that should come soon. It also means that custom maps made for older versions of Onward will no longer launch, and so we’ve temporarily removed access to the Workshop until we can work with map authors to upgrade their maps for this new update, and the Unity rendering pipeline. They too will return in an upcoming patch.

On the graphics front we’ve added a couple of new options for players who wish to push the graphical fidelity further: you can now enable bloom and simulated depth of field. Furthermore, we’ve improved the lighting in various areas of the game, and implemented dynamic lighting effects. Many more improvements can be found in the full patch notes below.

We’ve also upgraded the audio assets in the game: each weapon has new audio associated with it, and features different sound depending on whether it’s used indoors or outdoors, whether it’s close or distant, and whether or not it’s silenced.

Gameplay wise we’ve made a number of noticeable changes. To name a few of the more important changes: the default length of a match round in Onward’s core game modes has been reduced by a minute to increase the overall pace of matches, sprinting with the shield out has been disabled, and the shotguns have been buffed and their pellet spread slightly reduced.

The AI has seen some major changes as well: we’ve given bots more consistent loadouts, and we’ve increased the performance of the AI to allow for up to 128 bots to spawn in a Hunt. Make sure you spend your ammo wisely..!

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Both Pixel Ripped games are great in case anyone is wondering but the appeal of it is more in the experience than how it plays. It's a nostalgia trip and a great use of 3d in VR. The first one (1989) is available on Viveport Infinity if you want to play it on free trial

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

vrkshop added various things in updates, from smooth locomotion to the metric measurement system :)

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

I don't think it's a good choice for Europe-ish regions any more, with the price having hiked up to 699 euros.

That puts it at what, ~300 higher than Rift S, scalper pricing aside... Others may value the res that much but not me, when it's not a real improvement elsewhere (near field tracking concerns are in this very video).

Last edited:

Tarzan was a serious character once upon a time before serials, movies, Disney and George... now this is definitely a comics take. Still, looks fun :messenger_tears_of_joy: I like that melee

coming for psvr too last time I checked. Announced last year...

do these massive tweet dumps work for you guys? I'd prefer more discussion, but so few of us...

Last edited:

Alexios

The Tarzan VR trailer is in the post right before yours (as a video, not a tweet, there aren't many posts on this page yet). It looks potentially interesting, we'll see. As for the other stuff, refer to page 23. I post what I like, update the OP, keep the bigger recent updates at the top of each page, etc.

Last edited:

INC

I always open this thread hoping to see a decent fps coming out........not happened yet......

Theres a new gta game being teased in a few week by the wardust devs

Last edited:

Flyinmunky

Was tempted to jump back in to VR with G2 (Had and sold OculusDK1, Vive) but i think i will hold off again. Good news it looks like the image quality is finally good enough (For me)

I think if there was 2/3 more VR games i was really interested in and the Index had image quality of G2 i would be buy one.

Index with G2 image quality and wireless in next few years hopefully.

darthvargi

Was tempted to jump back in to VR with G2 (Had and sold OculusDK1, Vive) but i think i will hold off again. Good news it looks like the image quality is finally good enough (For me)

I think if there was 2/3 more VR games i was really interested in and the Index had image quality of G2 i would be buy one.

Index with G2 image quality and wireless in next few years hopefully.
Most of the games are still indie titles but there really are some great games now like Sinners and Saints, Alyx, Karnage Chronicles, Asgard's Wrath, VTOL, and Moss just to name a few. That said if you can wait, the next generation headsets are going to be wireless with a much higher FOV in a few years. It has taken a while for more than resolution improvements since 2016 but with VR picking up momentum the hardware will start improving too.

Alexios

Seems like the delay of Survios' Walking Dead game is paying off. Thanks to Saints & Sinners they're stepping up their game. Let's wait and see what happens then!

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

I'm glad to see this project is still alive, the dude was very discouraged when Squadrons was announced, as if you can ever have too many Star Wars VR games!

Last edited:
not pc-related, but big news to VR when Apple finally enters the XR market anyway:

Btw, their iOS device already come with 3 cameras more than enough to spatial tracking, scanning and 3D reconstruction

there really should be a more general VR thread

Last edited:

Alexios

Feel free to make one, I made this cos nobody else did (semi recently with an OP willing to keep updating).

Last edited:
Btw, went checking the Hitman 3 crowded AMA and only now I noticed this answer:

so, yes, I think it's very obvious that just like with Skyrim and Borderlands 2, it eventually comes out on pcvr - hopefully even with motion controls rather than retarded gamepad...

Alexios

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Has anybody any advanced experience with PSVR on PC and other VR Headsets?
I just tried to set it up and so far it was good, but I don't know if the experience with other VR headsets are worth it to buy/invest into them.
I already tried it with iVRy PSVR and Driver4VR combined with a Kinect 360 (will change to a Kinect Xboxe One version) and so far only played Assetto Corsa.
Head movement and tracking(more or less) was working fine.
I'd like to know if it worth keeping this setup (later I will get the Move controllers and will probably try Beat Saber) and the hassle for other games, too or if a upgrade would be much better.

Probably important too for the decision, my PC Specs:
1060 6 GB
16 GB Ram 3200

Thanks

Has anybody any advanced experience with PSVR on PC and other VR Headsets?
I just tried to set it up and so far it was good, but I don't know if the experience with other VR headsets are worth it to buy/invest into them.
I already tried it with iVRy PSVR and Driver4VR combined with a Kinect 360 (will change to a Kinect Xboxe One version) and so far only played Assetto Corsa.
Head movement and tracking(more or less) was working fine.
I'd like to know if it worth keeping this setup (later I will get the Move controllers and will probably try Beat Saber) and the hassle for other games, too or if a upgrade would be much better.

Probably important too for the decision, my PC Specs:
1060 6 GB
16 GB Ram 3200

Thanks

Haven't played it on PC, but psvr works just great in cockpit games - after all, no limitations in play area since you play sitting. Too bad there's not enough cockpit games for it on PS4.

I don't think Moves will work fine or at all on PC. And yes, other headsets should be far more worth them on PC.

Resenge

I don't think Moves will work fine or at all on PC
Moves do work but its very hacky and only worth it if you really want to play VR and cannot afford a proper headset. I wouldn't recommend it especially if you have to buy the move controllers, they are so expensive for what they are and the price is around a third of the way to a cheap PCVR headset anyway. Save up and go full PCVR IMO.

RaZoR No1

Moves do work but its very hacky and only worth it if you really want to play VR and cannot afford a proper headset. I wouldn't recommend it especially if you have to buy the move controllers, they are so expensive for what they are and the price is around a third of the way to a cheap PCVR headset anyway. Save up and go full PCVR IMO.
Well I already have them / have access to them, so I don't have any extra costs. I only need to buy the programs Driver4VR and iVRy Psvr, but afaik Driver4VR could even be used with other VR Headset to make use of Kinect so this wouldn't obsolete , if I should change sometime to another VR Unit

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
Top Bottom