• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Last edited:

Alexios

Dunno if real but it seems legit enough. Glasses spacer in the box contents? Hope The Climb 2 and whatever else new are for PC too. So far the only (?) notable Quest-only thing remains National Geographic Explore VR (which is a shame as I wanted to try it), so that trend hopefully continues on. The VRDesktop developer has also chimed in to say the Snapdragon XR2 utilizes Wi-Fi 6 which should improve the wireless PC connection performance quite a bit, especially when paired with an actual Wi-Fi 6 router. That's pretty promising for wireless PC VR (with the usual battery concerns).
32wj7w.png

Last edited:

Alexios

I'll probably get one too lmao. If it's similarly priced in Europe. I didn't think that there'd be anything that can compel me to finally upgrade from CV1 before a PC upgrade but this might be it. G2 too expensive (699 EUR) and imo not worth it, Index too expensive and worth it, this. Perfect price tbh.

Last edited:

Alexios

Dang, AAA Assassin''s Creed VR AND Splinter Cell VR. For Oculus (timed I'm sure). Sweet. I guess Nimso Ny is on one of these instead of that space game they showed.

What is with some of these games only working on the Quest line and not the Rift S. Are they not going to allow customers to purchase some of these games for the more powerful headset? I noticed the Star Wars, Jurassic World and even Myst were Quest only.

Alexios

What is with some of these games only working on the Quest line and not the Rift S. Are they not going to allow customers to purchase some of these games for the more powerful headset? I noticed the Star Wars, Jurassic World and even Myst were Quest only.
Quest are stand alone console-like devices (that also connect to PC like S), some games get ported to (and from) PC, some don't. It's not a new thing, there are Quest exclusives like Nat Geo Explore VR too (sadly, I wanted it). Most get ported at some point, like Vader Immortal, Journey of the Gods, Shadow Point, a few don't.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member

I believe Quest is android based. Anything for Quest natively would require a port.

Alexios

Got it. I guess that makes sense...I just hope that even though they are killing the Rift line they will still port these.
Fingers crossed yeah. They still have PC game collabs with Ubisoft and other companies and thus also support Quest PC VR connection with Link so hopefully they don't consider that side dead just because stand alone is more immediately popular. But again, some Quest stuff didn't get ported so, we'll see. But most did.

Last edited:

Alexios

This vid even says Quest only yet it warns that it was captured on PC so it may vary. So that bodes well for eventual ports, maybe.

Last edited:

Alexios

Sniper Elite VR has been shown for PSVR in the past (and iirc confirmed for PC also), it would be weird if it doesn't show on PC after these versions.

Last edited:

Alexios

Just noticed the Myst trailer says Quest platform too, even though that's clearly coming to PC and Steam. Maybe they forgot they need a new tag now that they no longer have Rift, to differentiate between stand alone and PC. So who the f knows which of all these games will show up to PC! :)

Edit: Yup. Also, that "also":

Last edited:

Alexios

This looks like another they should launch on Steam as well to help with the multiplayer numbers since unlike Echo games it isn't free to start (then again, Quest games tend to sell fast and unlike Medal of Honor this is for Quest as well as PC).

Last edited:

Romulus

Doing more traveling with my job and need a laptop for my Rift S or Quest 2(if I get it.)

I'm looking at the 1660ti with 16gb of RAM, i5 tenth gen as a base. I don't need super high-end VR for 5-7 nights a month. What brands do you guys recommend? I've always stayed away from gaming laptops because of temps so something manageable.

Yeah but I need a new laptop anyway for work, so might as well get something I can run more PCVR stuff on.

could be cheaper for work alone and won't run as good as your desktop anyway. Besides, tethered is not really the Quest way.

but hey, it's your money and I have no idea about its performance and thermal conditions. just my 2 cents

Romulus

could be cheaper for work alone and won't run as good as your desktop anyway. Besides, tethered is not really the Quest way.

but hey, it's your money and I have no idea about its performance and thermal conditions. just my 2 cents

I understand. And I might just stay with my Rift S. There are about a dozen reasons why this works for me. I have a coworker that does nearly the same but for flat gaming but he's running an older laptop. I just need to find the right setup for VR.

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Various youtubers played Solaris ahead of tomorrow's launch, there's gameplay, comparisons between the PC and Quest version, Quest 2 gameplay, etc. I can't say it looks too compelling, epsecially after what these guys did previously on PSVR or compared to the likes of Echo Combat, we'll see.

Last edited:
Still waiting on Gnomes & Goblins to unlock. Still a bit skeptical on it. The trailer looks interesting but a bit janky as well. Also, what’s up with the insane system requirements lol. 1080ti minimum, 2080ti for recommended settings.

Alexios

Still waiting on Gnomes & Goblins to unlock. Still a bit skeptical on it. The trailer looks interesting but a bit janky as well. Also, what’s up with the insane system requirements lol. 1080ti minimum, 2080ti for recommended settings.
The first reviews are pretty bad sadly, check roadtovr and vrfocus...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Top Bottom