• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Last edited:

Alexios

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

This looks great since we last saw it! You can really see the production values.

Alexios

Edit: the 60fps version of the Project Wingman trailer is time stamped here in the gamescom live stream.

Last edited:

Alexios

Edit: I think (searching + google translate efforts) the Tokyo Chronos video in the post above is some kind of special for the last day of crowd funding, it got at least 811% funded on some Japanese platform...

Last edited:

yes, Quest mobile VR gaming and yet it typifies what is wrong with so much VR indies: no challenge, just pointless chopping - basically Fruit Ninja with zombies and shopping carts...

games should be about exploration and overcoming challenges, not standing in a bland arena chopping down slow moving ragdolls...

this is why RE7 without room scale or motion controls stand out so much, more than graphics per se: enemies will often treat you very badly, including grabbing you by the neck and throwing you hard back... most VR indies lack any challenge, no serious gamer takes VR seriously because of that - VR is gimmicky because an excess of crap like this

Alexios

It's just a promo for a freebie, pretty cool tech for mobile. Also off topic in a PC VR thread. Dumb generalization, speak for yourself, serious gamer®, as if it's hard to find crap non-VR games with hundreds if not thousands of releases each month, but I'm not gonna list warz this. Back to news...

Last edited:

Alexios

There's an Oculus Quest thread here if you'd like to keep that updated, I posted a bit but couldn't really keep up with both PC VR and Quest given sidequest and all. It would be nice if someone ported DrBeef's stuff to PC, they're all cool. At least we got our own Quake on PC VR (and other mods).

Last edited:

Alexios

That's a multiplayer mod for VTOL VR, it looks like it works going by various random youtube player videos, though the game's developer has expressed some interest in adding multiplayer officially too. Anyway, Phasmophobia is giving early access to youtubers for hype (I hate loud gamer crap).

Last edited:

Alexios

Yet again the rift s get shafted lol
Why single out the Rift S in particular? It's just not a PC mod, business as usual for DrBeef, he does love doing homebrew Oculus Quest stuff developing on Android or whatever intead of Windows, apparently, just as others do homebrew console stuff and not PC. Ah well, whatever works for him.
How is this one legal? lol I hope it doesn't get a C&D...
Just download it and play it and don't worry about that. I suppose it won't get further updates if it does get noticed but so far so good, it's under the radar. Maybe he'll change the Star Wars assets to generic ships if that happens (probably not, he almost gave up once already due to Squadrons).

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

when I first entered VR I used to turn down Rec Room because it reminded me of the bad casual days of Wii sports.

I persisted and eventually paintball, Rec Royale and lasertag won me over, but it is their quests the real hidden treasure to the VR world.

It's like being inside old NES games in a way, complete with very clever level designs, different weapons and mechanics, co-op and even a hefty amount of challenge in enemies and even bosses.

excited for this new one. If you haven't played already, grab a few friends, enter a private session in one of them and invite them over. Or just go in with random squealing kids muted...

Alexios

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Onslaught looks definitely improved. Not sure if I actually want it because it's based on the lame show and not a random comic spin-off like Saints & Sinners. I stopped caring about Rick, Carol,... years ago but somehow it still keeps going.. like the Simpsons.

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Some of the demos intended for PAX X EGX are already out on Steam, here's the page with VR filtering on:

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

For posterity. Two days left for the Oculus Connect that will reveal all, if anything is left, lol.

6GB RAM and Snapdragon XR2 sound good. 128GB and 256GB variants for storage I suppose (maybe also 64 again? I dunno). I don't get why the Mixed Reality capture needs such a beast PC (even a 1080 GPU, I get the fast storage maybe), I almost thought it was talking about playing PCVR games there but no. PCVR is still working the same way, no wireless officially, just Link cable and still as a streaming video based solution I guess. Hopefully they try to get it working over 5G too at least. I wonder if it's more problematic due to the increased resolution.

Other than that, another solid kit depending on the price (I mean, hopefully it starts at 499 if not 449) but not mind blowing for PCVR given the competition and it's a shame PC connectivity is stream based again. Still, with no competitors in sight, it will cement their dominance in stand alone all in one VR, even more games will be able to be ported/made with the better specs. And of course if it's pretty attractive for its all in one capabilities then it's also the one to get if you want both that and PCVR games, rather than choose just PC or buy two kits.

Still, strictly for PCVR, it's just a revision (so I guess the one to get from Oculus for new users, especially if it's the same Hz as the S or better). I wonder if they'll also do an S2 that does things different or better (Hz? Fov?) as far as PCVR is concerned or if Quest 2 will go all in for both modes, maybe enable things like finger tracking for PCVR. I'm guessing that at the very least, they're not going to be advancing their controller technology much at all, given they've shown they want to use the same for both products.

Last edited:

Alexios

It's a new (range of?) mobile soc from snapdragon tailor made for stand alone VR devices like the Quest with things like multi camera support, 5G connectivity, AI stuff and other stuff. It should be at least twice as powerful as the Snapdragon 835 the Quest used on top of that.
According to the chipmaker, Snapdragon XR2 offers twice the CPU and GPU performance of the 835, over 11 times faster AI processing, six times the video resolution support, and four times the video bandwidth, albeit with only four Kryo cores — one Prime, one Gold, and two Silver — rather than eight in the 835.
So, we'll see what that means for real world performance when devs start chiming in I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom