• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 Can Officially Play PS1 Games in the latest GIT builds

bomblord1

Banned
This was officially unveiled in their latest progress report.

http://pcsx2.net/281-q4-2016-progress-report.html

Previously, PCSX2 had always failed to play PSX games due to unimplemented devices that are necessary for backward compatibility. Rama had then decided to reach out to other developers to fix the problem. He found someone on the assemblergames.com forums that just so happened to be an expert on PS2's IOP sub bus hardware: wisi! Wisi implemented the missing PGIF device, added the required hardware hooks and with that PCSX2 was finally able to boot into PSX mode!

However, most of the PSX games still suffered from bad audio and the source of the issue was the SPU2 plugin. It was assumed that in the backward compatibility mode of the SPU2, the hardware provides a mapping window into SPU2 RAM, which wasn't properly handled by the plugin. Pseudonym then fixed all the issues related to the mapping management and SPU2-X started providing much better results. At this time, he also redid the reverb algorithm (which is shared between PSX and PS2 modes) and improved it significantly towards an exact replica of the original. The following waveform comparison shows that there are still some unsolved problems with the pulse response, but the delay and feedback are spot on! It sounds much better than the older implementation and benefits PSX and PS2 games alike.

SPU2-X reverb

-PSX backward compatibility is still in its nascent state, so bug reports related to it will be dismissed, until the emulation has matured enough.
-Also quite interesting: None of the PSX emulators used for comparison produces reverb waveforms that look anything like the original hardware!

That's a major step forward for them even if it's still early and their Audio emulation is apparently better than all the PS1 emulators they compared it to.

The git builds can be found here http://pcsx2.net/download/development/git.html please note you need a legally obtained PS2 bios in order to use PCSX2.

Darknight

So is there an emulator for PC that does what Bleemcast did?

I mean I havent played emulatted PSX games but like I was blown away what DC was capable of while PS2's native emulation of PSX looked the same.
TekkenBleemcastCover-e13380826028161.jpg

Sophia

This is interesting from a preservation standpoint.

I imagine the average user will continue to use ePSXe or Medanfen PSX until the emulation matures, however.

Improved audio is certainly appealing tho.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Pretty much every major emulator can improve on the visual quality of the games they run. There is a PCSX2 thread around where people have shots and the difference is way beyond Heihachi there.

Eila

I mean I havent played emulatted PSX games but like I was blown away what DC was capable of while PS2's native emulation of PSX looked the same.

Absolutely. You can do far more than what bleemcast did. Look up PGXP. It's still in development but it goes a long way fixing polygon wobbling.

Darknight

Pretty much every major emulator can improve on the visual quality of the games they run. There is a PCSX2 thread around where people have shots and the difference is way beyond Heihachi there.

Oh yea? Thats good. Always hated the PS2's PSX BC. I mean i wish it did what Bleemcast was doing, you know?

Sanctuary

Does PCSX2 have shaders comparable to what Retroarch uses? Because if not, it still won't look nearly as good on 2D or mixed 3D games.

[Asmodean]

just tried silent hill 3 in dx11...same shadows problem....:/

Have you tried using the OpenGL backend?. Also checking the pcsx2 wiki for game-specified fixes is pretty much recommended when you encounter something like this first. http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Silent_Hill_3

In the case of SH3:
Misaligned shadows

Type: Minor
Description: Shadows appear in front of an object instead of behind it in hardware mode.
Workaround: Go to Config > Video (GS) > Plugin Setttings, and set Renderer to "OpenGL (Hardware)", and enable Hardware Depth. Or switch to Software mode by setting Renderer to any of the "(Software)" options.

OGL has (basically speaking) become the recommended backend for accuracy. It has come quite a long way in the last 2 years. Surpassing D3D for accurate reproduction in a very large amount of games.

luca_29_bg

[Asmodean];229614972 said:
Have you tried using the OpenGL backend?. Also checking the pcsx2 wiki for game-specified fixes is pretty much recommended when you encounter something like this first. http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Silent_Hill_3

In the case of SH3:

OGL has (basically speaking) become the recommended backend for accuracy. It has come quite a long way in the last 2 years. Surpassing D3D for accurate reproduction in a very large amount of games.

tried, same result as dx9, no glitch but no shadows rendered and lens flare. I can't find hardware depth in the lastest git! But the point is, what the gamefix for silent hill 2 and 3 do ?

jose1

Lots of great improvements in the progress report. The mipmapping looks like a huge improvement for some games.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I feel like the emulator needs to be blown to bits and re-built or something. Or a new challenger enters...Something...

Yeah PCSX2 is very hacky, it's gotten better though, like you can play Okami with all the effects now at full framerate and in high resolutions if you use the OpenGL renderer and lower the CRC hack setting. For other games the OGL renderer is just sloooooooooooooow though

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How did the original PS2 emulate games? Was a separate chip included that actually ran the games in their original configuration, or did the PS2 emulate the system in software?

IIRC it's like the early PS3 Back Comp for PS2: It included the CPU/GPU(?) in the PS2 hardware. The chips were small enough that even the "Slim" PS2 included them.

Top Bottom