• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eiji

clashfan said:
How powerful of a PC do you need to run at a decent framerate?

1) A dual core processor is a MUST, I have a Intel C2D E4300 @ 3.2GHz

2) A decent graphics card with pixel shader 2.0 or higher support. X1600 or 8600GT as a minimum preferred.

3) 1GB of RAM or more, I have 2GB of RAM.

clashfan

Eiji said:
1) A dual core processor is a MUST!

2) A decent graphics card with pixel shader 2.0 or higher support. X1600 or 8600GT as a minimum preferred.

3) 1GB of RAM or more

WOW! I guess I'm out of luck then...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Eiji said:

You went overboard lol. My GeForce 7600GS can run games very will w/o any kind of AA. My CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz and haven't had many issues so far.

Eiji

Relix said:
You went overboard lol. My GeForce 7600GS can run games very will w/o any kind of AA. My CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz and haven't had many issues so far.

Well as I said they are the preferred minimums, just don't use any onboard graphics stuff.

You should OC that 1.86GHz. Thats the original clock speed of mine and it makes a massive difference going from 1.8 to 3.2GHz as long as you have adequate cooling and your CPU is of a batch that can atleast OC to that speed.

clashfan said:
WOW! I guess I'm out of luck then...

What are your system specs?

Eiji

Adam Blade said:
Hmm, my laptop has a C2D 2.0 and an X1700. How good am I?

Give it a try I say ;)

Just don't expect full speed or perfect graphics. That goes for everyone. No matter how powerful a system you have, most games run slower than their original frame rates. You can thank the horrific Graphics Synthesizer for that. That thing is a beast! Fillrates am cry.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Eiji said:
Well as I said they are the preferred minimums, just don't use any onboard graphics stuff.

You should OC that 1.86GHz. Thats the original clock speed of mine and it makes a massive difference going from 1.8 to 3.2GHz as long as you have adequate cooling and your CPU is of a batch that can atleast OC to that speed.

What are your system specs?

My CPU hovers at around 50C idle, 60 intense use with a Cooler Master heatsink and fan.... might want to move to water cooling if I am to OC (which I am planning to!)

Then again its 24/7 on.

Eiji

Relix said:
My CPU hovers at around 50C idle, 60 intense use with a Cooler Master heatsink and fan.... might want to move to water cooling if I am to OC (which I am planning to!)

Then again its 24/7 on.

That is quite nasty. My CPUs OC'd to 3.2GHz and it idles at 41C. Under full load it doesn't go past 65C which is something you really shouldn't push a C2D past.

The HSF I'm using is a Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120.

hirokazu

C2D 2.16GHz, GeForce 7600 GT, 2GB RAM

Last time I tried this PCSX2, about 8 months ago, it didn't run well enough for me to use it instead of my PS2. How has things changed now?

Eiji

hirokazu said:
C2D 2.16GHz, GeForce 7600 GT, 2GB RAM

Last time I tried this PCSX2, about 8 months ago, it didn't run well enough for me to use it instead of my PS2. How has things changed now?

You'll be waiting a long time for that but you could whizz through a game like Final Fantasy X and other 2D stuff like Disgaea. Best thing is to try which games run good on your system.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Eiji said:
That is quite nasty. My CPUs OC'd to 3.2GHz and it idles at 41C. Under full load it doesn't go past 65C which is something you really shouldn't push a C2D past.

The HSF I'm using is a Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120.

Yes its horrible, I don't know why it heats up so much. I was thinking of dismounting it all again, putting AS (I used some cheao thing that came with the heatsink) and tightening it a little more to make more contact. The heat of that thing is driving me MAD.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
M3d10n said:
It's possible. The PS2 GPU is emulated using HLE, so it isn't emulated with MHz accuracy. Any fillrate-based slowdowns should go away if the host GPU can do things faster than the emulated one.
Vast majority of PS2(and other last gen console for that matter) games are CPU limited most of the time, including SOTC among them.

The Friendly Monster said:
Cheers. Is SOTC locked at 20 fps? 15 fps?
SOTC is locked at 60fps (yes, there are scenes where it runs 60, on a PS2) so it's theoretically possible to get emulation to that. I wouldn't hold my breath for it though.

phez

Banned
yes, but i think you need to pick the right cd-reading plugin though to properly read the ps2 disc (correct me if im wrong)

Truespeed

Eiji said:

Also, if your PC has a Turbo button then make sure it's turned on.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
alright so where's this at. I don't really like reading bench marks, because I think it varies a lot per person, so anybody who has this can you comment on how well it runs? how long until we're lookin at full emulation?

Mamesj

Banned
msdstc said:
alright so where's this at. I don't really like reading bench marks, because I think it varies a lot per person, so anybody who has this can you comment on how well it runs? how long until we're lookin at full emulation?

it runs well-- it's impressive from a technical standpoint, but there really isn't anything worth playing through all the way at this point. Some games are close, but still suffer random freak outs/bouts of slowdown.

As for how long, I have no idea. 0.9.4 took the better part of this year to release. I think hardware technology needs to go through another generation or two before we can start talking full speed PS2 emulation with enhancements. Then the X-factor of an independent dev team makes it completely unpredictable, of course. They might decide to quit tomorrow. you never can tell with these things, since they put their free time into it.

Jesus Christ, I tested a few games (none of which ran particularly well on my shitty Pentium D, even with dual-core mode enabled), and when I took them out of my DVD drive it felt like they just came out of the oven! Don't use this shit unless you have a more dedicated cooling system.

bee

actually i'd say the majority of 2d games are worth playing through as most work like 99% flawless and even sound is spot on now too and theres zero chance these guys will stop developing it any time soon their too dedicated and the teams too big for that to happen just chat to them on irc for a while and you'll know.

other than 2d games the 3d games that work the best are the japanese rpg's final fantasy x being the obvious one, but quite a few more work pretty good like grandia 3 and the other final fantasy's, i guess they all use the same square enix game engine?

Mamesj

Banned
bee said:
actually i'd say the majority of 2d games are worth playing through as most work like 99% flawless and even sound is spot on now too

unfortunately, Ibara, Mushihime-sama, and Dodonpachi Daioujou are not among the perfectly working 2D games :( I tried to tell them about this and they told me to fuck off in so many words :lol

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Just curious:

I was banned for talking about CPS3 emulation and posting some screenshots.

So what's the rule about this? This thread is about PS2 emulation with screen shots posted...

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Ive just tried FFX and Xenosaga Ep 1, and im getting an unplayably bad frame-rate. Im trying to decide whether I should bother trying to optimise performance with the graphic config, or if my hardware is doomed to fail no matter what. Here's what ive got:

P4 3.2Ghz HyperThreading (is this the problem?)
2GB DDR2 533Mhz RAM
ATI X1950 Pro (512Mb)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Borys

Banned
Cataferal said:
Ive just tried FFX and Xenosaga Ep 1, and im getting an unplayably bad frame-rate. Im trying to decide whether I should bother trying to optimise performance with the graphic config, or if my hardware is doomed to fail no matter what. Here's what ive got:

P4 3.2Ghz HyperThreading (is this the problem?)
2GB DDR2 533Mhz RAM
ATI X1950 Pro (512Mb)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

No dualcore = no fun. So don't bother until they release a new build optimised for non-dualcore procs or upgrade to one.

Link1110

I tried 0.9.2 at home, and it was hit or miss

Dragon Quest 5 worked fine, except with text box bugs
Tales of Destiny 2 was great, except menus slowed it down to 5fps.

I have
2.8ghz AMDx2
4gig ram
Radeon x1300

cress2000

Link1110 said:
I tried 0.9.2 at home, and it was hit or miss

Dragon Quest 5 worked fine, except with text box bugs
Tales of Destiny 2 was great, except menus slowed it down to 5fps.

I have
2.8ghz AMDx2
4gig ram
Radeon x1300

ToD2 emulation has gotten better at a cost of speed in my experience. I used to get 60fps in town/dungeon maps and battle, now I get 5-10 less. But half-width text is no longer garbled and memcard saves and savestates seem to work properly now. Still far from perfect... graphics and fonts still don't scale properly and thus look like ass, and the interlacing artifacts are just incredibly ugly. At least I should be able to work with it now.

I have:

Core 2 E6320
2GB RAM
Radeon X1950GT

jman2050

Fatghost said:
Just curious:

I was banned for talking about CPS3 emulation and posting some screenshots.

So what's the rule about this? This thread is about PS2 emulation with screen shots posted...

hint: you can't buy CPS3 arcade games from your local Gamestop.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Tideas said:
so we're allow to talk about emulators now? color me shock

Was it ever not? This project, especially, has become more relevant than ever now that Sony have abondoned the PS3's BC. PS2's are still going to sell for quite a while, of course, but eventually they'll be phased out, and we'll want a way to play our PS2 backlog without resorting to pre-owned hardware.

Plus, i know I've always found replay value in emulating my PSX games; playing them at higher resolutions, with added AA or whatever. Its just fun to tinker with them, and a convenience too.

DGaio

Would love to see how FFXII looks like running in this emulator, probably due the fact the shimmering/aliasing kills the amazing texture detail of this game :( (on my TV at least).

phez

Banned
Borys said:
No dualcore = no fun. So don't bother until they release a new build optimised for non-dualcore procs or upgrade to one.

to be fair, dual core support in 0.9.2 was pretty hit and miss too, some games just wouldn't even work if you had it enabled. hopefully .4 fixes all that.

sangreal

I have:

Q6600
4GB Ram
8800GTX
Vista64

I tried this out with FFX-2 and it certainly ran smooth enough w/ 16x AA, but there we graphical issues (mainly -- in combat, there was some kind of ghosting on everything, even still objects)

I would post screenshots, but I couldn't be convinced to play far enough into the game to get to a nice looking area

bee

alexel said:
Anyone try out Odin Sphere on it? Are the massive slowdowns gone?

someone on another forum evidently has, very nice it looks too

71frdkg.jpg

Eiji said:
You can thank the horrific Graphics Synthesizer for that. That thing is a beast! Fillrates am cry.
Any recent GPU should absolutely squish it in terms of fillrate. Even an X800 or 6800 should handily outclass it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom