• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I never thought to check the CPU portion. I'm off to try my victorious boxers 2 again. I'll be back with results as I never ran the emu in dual core

qcf x2

Danj said:
1.5Ghz core 2 duo? Are you sure? I thought the lowest core 2 duo was 1.86Ghz. But anyway yeah, it should probably run, though I have no idea how well.

Thanks for the reply. This is almost what I have (only difference I can see is that I have Vista Ultimate & a silly tv tuner).

As an aside, is it possible to change the screen on a laptop? I've found that 1400x900 sucks ass.

Hopefully if I set the emu up like the guy who provided pics, I'll have a better experience than last time.

Baryn

Banned
Kuran said:
I'm not booted into windows right now... but I'm pretty sure its called SSF. It has accurate emulation for most games I play.. and it allows me to use Sega's USB version of the Saturn controller with no problems.

The only Saturn game I really frequently still play is Digital Pinball: Necronomicon.. and that works great! It doesn't enhance the visuals in any way, but I don't need that.

Edit:

You can find it here: http://ssftribute.emuunlim.com/faq.php#what is SSF
A belated but deep thanks for your reply!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
What do all of the top numbers that I have circled signify?

80wspon.jpg

As much as I dislike Odin Sphere, it would have ben nice if they rereleased the game on current gen with the original HD assets. It is my understanding that the sprites and backgrounds do exist in a much higher resolution than 480i, but using them raw wasn't possible on PS2.

Eiji

_dementia said:
As much as I dislike Odin Sphere, it would have ben nice if they rereleased the game on current gen with the original HD assets. It is my understanding that the sprites and backgrounds do exist in a much higher resolution than 480i, but using them raw wasn't possible on PS2.

Even as it is now with the current sprites and only 480i on a real PS2 the game slows down like crazy with lots of on-screen action.

Fireye

Oh, hey, they've released 0.9.5beta! They reference their SVN as the location to get it, but I can't find any info on where that is. Google pcsx 0.9.5 to nab a download.

Mamesj

Banned
so what games have you guys found to run near-perfect? I'm talking gameplay-wise, like if you had to, you could play through the game with minimal suffering. post specs if you want, but I'm just looking for a general idea.

me:
--KOFXI
--Odin Sphere
--Gradius V

specs:
--E6750 (2.66 core 2 duo)
--640mb GTS
--2gb DDR2 ram

and Odin Sphere looks amazing at 720p and with AA...not to gloat, but far better than the above pics.

Eiji

Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken 4

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
_dementia said:
FFX cutscene models are amazing. Have they hacked them to replace the field/in-battle character models yet?
If by amazing you mean the most shaky and poorly animated ever, then yeah i agree.

Eiji

clashfan said:
How powerful are your PC's? I'm getting around 8 frame per second on my 2 year old PC...

You need a cutting edge for good performance and even then most games won't run full speed.

My PC:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 3.2GHz
Asus P5N-E SLI
XpertVision 8600 GT 256MB GDDR3
2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-5400 DDR2 RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2

I'm soon going to replace the 8600GT with a 8800GT.

d[-_-]b

Banned
clashfan said:
How powerful are your PC's? I'm getting around 8 frame per second on my 2 year old PC...
I have a E6750 at 3.55ghz, and an 8400 (which is a shitty card in the 8800 series but it works wonders when overclocked).
I can turn on AAx4 (didn't see any notiable difference with AAx4, though clearly a visible difference with AAx8, less jaggies) without any lag (averaging about 60 fps with limit on cause it goes alittle too fast) but since my Video card is shit at AAx8 it drops to about 30 fps on FFX and at AAx16 to about 8-16fps.
If FFX didn't get so crappy by the time that laughing scene came and ruined the whole game for me, i'd actually try to get farther in it.

So has anyone got FFX or FFX-2 running good enough to be playable?

I get decent speed and can play it somewhat but it's still riddled with graphical bugs and not exactly what I would call playable. Am I using the wrong settings or are the people playing this not caring about stuff like that?

Danj

I didn't try FFX, but FF12 runs pretty well except for the cutscenes. If you're using the ZeroGS graphics plugin, you probably should try enabling the "ffxhack" for Final Fantasy games.

Eiji

jakershaker said:
So has anyone got FFX or FFX-2 running good enough to be playable?

Use the latest GSdx9 plugin (0.11.0 as of now) with the NLOOP hack enabled in the plugins setting menu.

ZeroGS is nowhere near as good as the new and improved GSdx9 which is made by gabest BTW, author of Media Player Classic.

GSdx9 doesn't support anti-aliasing at the moment though because of the way it renders.

x3sphere

Mamesj said:
so what games have you guys found to run near-perfect? I'm talking gameplay-wise, like if you had to, you could play through the game with minimal suffering. post specs if you want, but I'm just looking for a general idea.

me:
--KOFXI
--Odin Sphere
--Gradius V

specs:
--E6750 (2.66 core 2 duo)
--640mb GTS
--2gb DDR2 ram

and Odin Sphere looks amazing at 720p and with AA...not to gloat, but far better than the above pics.

dunno why but when I enable AA all I get are garbled graphics. Will have to mess around with the plugins I think.

Mamesj

Banned
x3sphere said:
dunno why but when I enable AA all I get are garbled graphics. Will have to mess around with the plugins I think.

oh yeah, that's right. that's a new bug that came up this time around..Odin Sphere doesn't like AA for some reason.

h3ro

Is there anyway Sony could hire the people who make this software to make it work on all those new 40GB models?

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
h3ro said:
Is there anyway Sony could hire the people who make this software to make it work on all those new 40GB models?

a large portion of the pcsx2 codebase is x86 specific, it would require a significant rewrite to port to the PS3.

I asked the dev's about this a while ago, and was told that the interpreter could be useful, but the dynarec would require a complete rewrite.

but hey, why dont you ask them yourself, they regularly haunt ngemu.com's forums, and as long as you don't behave like a TOOL (sorry), they will usually answer your questions.

alexel

So what's the final verdict on Odin Sphere with this emu? We have some people saying how amazing it looks at 60fps with 4xAA and 720P, then someone else saying 4xAA makes Odin Sphere look all garbled. This is the one game I really want to see run at constant 60fps since the original had so much slowdown. My comp specs if anyone wants to estimate my performance:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6850 @3.0Ghz
GPU: Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB Superclocked
RAM: 4 GB DDR2-800 (however running 32-bit XP)

Mamesj

Banned
Wow!! That VF screen is beautiful!! I can't wait till this emu is near perfect...

alexel said:
So what's the final verdict on Odin Sphere with this emu? We have some people saying how amazing it looks at 60fps with 4xAA and 720P, then someone else saying 4xAA makes Odin Sphere look all garbled. This is the one game I really want to see run at constant 60fps since the original had so much slowdown. My comp specs if anyone wants to estimate my performance:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6850 @3.0Ghz
GPU: Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB Superclocked
RAM: 4 GB DDR2-800 (however running 32-bit XP)

You'll run it pretty well, but yeah, in 9.4, AA will garble the graphics. It was a few weeks ago, but I think it only happens at AA levels above 4x. Someone will have to fact check me on that.

In any case, you probably won't run it perfectly at 60fps for the whole game with slowdown cured. and you'll also have audio problems to deal with.

Mamesj

Banned
nevermind, checked it for myself. 4xAA should work fine on Odin Sphere. I found another problem though-- when I loaded from a save state (not the memory card) the audio was glitchy. Went in and out of the game a few times to reproduce it and it happened each time.

anyway, I took a screen while testing it:
6tcm8op.jpg

Everdred

I'm getting a new PC want to make sure I'll be able to run everything fine. How would this run:

Intel Quad Core at 2.4 ghz each
2 X 8500GT with 512mb
2 gig ram

Eiji

strange_booj said:
I'm getting a new PC want to make sure I'll be able to run everything fine. How would this run:

Intel Quad Core at 2.4 ghz each
2 X 8500GT with 512mb
2 gig ram

That system is fine but since PCSX2 is still a work in progress emulator, even with a very powerful system at the moment, the emulator still doesn't run full speed with most games.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Eiji said:
Even as it is now with the current sprites and only 480i on a real PS2 the game slows down like crazy with lots of on-screen action.
That's not an issue of the hw though. The tech budgets for these types of games are typically exceptionally low, and it shows.

Besides as a 2d game, it wouldn't surprise me if they intentionally balanced the load so it reaches slowdown when action gets busy enough, it's been done in the past in certain shooting games.

xemumanic

Nice work with all the screenshots you've been posting lately. Just thought you'd like to see FF XII running on PCSX 2 with the GSDx9 plugin.

6s80cra.png

Sorry, it got dropped down to 1600x900 from 1920x1080 (1080p).

How'd I get it to look that way? I just turned up the internal resolution to 1920x1080.
I have a theory that turning it up even higher would be like a fake AA, but I never got around to testing that theory out.

SRG01

So I'm assuming that it's mostly CPU dependent? I was kind of hoping that having a good video card would help things...

xemumanic

SRG01 said:
So I'm assuming that it's mostly CPU dependent? I was kind of hoping that having a good video card would help things...

Yeah it seems so. Changing the resolution doesn't affect performance, unless you change the internal resolution, (which only GSDx9 allows). Enabling AA however, does also affect performance, for a similar reason to the internal resolution.

So toss all the CPU you can at it. Even in the days of next-gen emulation of 3D hardware like the PS2, the emulation is still mainly processor-dependant.

SRG01

xemumanic said:
Yeah it seems so. Changing the resolution doesn't affect performance, unless you change the internal resolution, (which only GSDx9 allows). Enabling AA however, does also affect performance, for a similar reason to the internal resolution.

So toss all the CPU you can at it. Even in the days of next-gen emulation of 3D hardware like the PS2, the emulation is still mainly processor-dependant.

Yeah, the last time I looked into this a long time ago, they were thinking of doing GPU acceleration. I guess they wanted it to work first before jumping into anything else.

medze

Sylar said:
Wondering how awesome Frequency looks :)
Looks like HD Frequency. :D

My PC is too ancient though to run it over about 20 fps, which is sad since the game is hardly graphic intensive.It would be playable except for the fact that if the game isn't running top speed, the music will lag and be choppy.

It was truly a painful experience for me to play "Ex-girlfriend" under those conditions... so I booted it on my PS2 immediately after to sooth the pain

*high five* to anyone who can get some screencaps of Amplitude up

edit: oh, and Bully too! I'd love to see that so I can begin speculation about Scholarship Edition's graphic quality

Fafalada said:
That's not an issue of the hw though. The tech budgets for these types of games are typically exceptionally low, and it shows.

Besides as a 2d game, it wouldn't surprise me if they intentionally balanced the load so it reaches slowdown when action gets busy enough, it's been done in the past in certain shooting games.
... why?

Because it ensures continued life for the arcade bread'n'butter version?

Someone post some FFIX pics please. Want to see what it looks like since it's the recent "old game of choice" I've been tinkering around with lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom