• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us....how did the guy do this trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trurl

Banned
I also enjoy how Penn and Teller handle the performers. This could easily be another talent show that humiliates a few people every episode but thus far I have not seen that.

FyreWulff

Trurl said:
I also enjoy how Penn and Teller handle the performers. This could easily be another talent show that humiliates a few people every episode but thus far I have not seen that.

It's why I kind of want them to bring this over to the US.

But then over here, the network would probably just make them bring on people with "interesting stories" and would pad the show with taped mini-biographies of each person's home life, who only know one trick.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Trurl said:
I agree. They're always very supportive and the most "confrontational" I've seen them get was in the first episode where they told the guy that the him forcing Ross to view the 10 of hearts through suggestion was bullshit.

I really love how encouraging they are to the young acts, and how they appreciate the effort and artistry that is put into each performance even if they know how the trick is performed.

mre said:
I agree. They're always very supportive and the most "confrontational" I've seen them get was in the first episode where they told the guy that the him forcing Ross to view the 10 of hearts through suggestion was bullshit.
There was also that one guy with the CD players - they weren't confrontational about it, but they weren't very supportive. Probably because it was terrible.

picklecannon said:
As for the duo where the lady was in the box afterwards
when the short guy goes to move the black background, the lady has actually gone inside the bag, and the taller dude has run off of the left of the screen (which is why he swings the background in that direction, to cover the dudes exit). Then he just simply runs around to the back and re-enters when he gets his cue. Box has an exit on it's backside and the bag has a hole I think. Girl is either in the box the whole time or comes out with the black background.
Again, I have no idea but I think that's how it was done.

That's what I thought straight away, which makes the trick easy enough anyone to do, but Penn said they didn't use any trap doors.

If there is just a hole in the bag and a door on the back of the box, then it's a pretty poor trick.

Atrus

Gold Member
Metal-Geo said:
Holy fucking wanks...

That was incredible. o_O

While entertaining and though I know I don't have the experience to do it myself, the tricks in that video were just fairly common slight of hand tricks that you'll see from a lot of illusionists, though I love the presentation.

He picks up 4 kings for instance but makes it seem like just 1 to the audience. When the 5 ends up in his mouth, all he did was simply place the 5 as the second to last card while making the audience think it was the last card. He then puts the card we think is the 5 back into the deck while raising his hand and putting the second to last card, now the last, into his mouth.

He does a similar trick when he pops the 5 up to the top of the deck. He doesn't just fold one card but two, places the second in the deck while compressing the first and holding it in place until he lets go. I think he almost fumbles here when it comes to separating both bent cards.
A lot of illusionists do this one.

These are fairly basic tricks that are presented extremely well (but generally reveal themselves if you work the trick backwards). His Penn and Teller bit was much better on a scale of "What? How? But I? Did I? You couldn't... It was just... No way!".

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Schmattakopf said:
There was also that one guy with the CD players - they weren't confrontational about it, but they weren't very supportive. Probably because it was terrible.

Damn I thought I'd seen all of the acts. Do you have a link to this one? Thanks in advance!

benjipwns said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2qLxN1fF1Q
Hah, was watching them in order and just got to this one and it's taking forever to load. Probably cuz it just got posted here and dozens of people are clicking on it.

dwu8991

Banned
Can anyone tell me how they did that card trick on the Nintendo 3D Magic, where there was seven joker cards and a 10 diamond, and then everything got revealed in reverse with one joker card but 7 (10)diamond?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Munin said:
This is from Fool Us and even P&T themselves say at the end that he does the cups & balls routine better than them.

Amazing and funny guy.

lol

At 4:10 you can see him accidentally open the trapdoor on the cup with his wand.

EDIT: Or maybe he just missed, it's late :p

Tieno

Love this show, I'm hooked!

There's not a lot of fat (drama about personal stories and shit) and you get a greater appreciation for the skill involved through Penn & Teller.
Jonathon Ross is also a great host.

Thanks for bringing it up to my attention.

AMUSIX

SmithnCo said:
Watching episode 6, I refuse to believe the duct tape act didn't involve a card switch. It looked like a pretty obvious switch move he did at the end.
No card switch. There's a very obvious tell that shows how the trick is done.

When the partner is smacked after the second attempt, he doubles over and stuffs the card into his mouth. When he comes back up, you can see that the duct tape has clearly moved, showing more of his chin. It's too bad this wasn't noticed by P&T, because once you see it, it's glaringly obvious.

That said, what these guys did, and the other ones with the silhouettes, was do the move for a VERY sloppy switch. The fact is, magic is all about misdirection. Make your audience not see something that happens, or think they see something that didn't really happen. When your audience is a couple of experienced magicians, you have to misdirect with something they're expecting to see (like a switch).

The problem I had with the silhouette guys is that, even when Penn asks them if they made the motion for a deck switch, they lied. You can see on P&T's faces that they know they were just lied to, and weren't happy about it. With the duct tape guys, it's obvious they're happy about it, because they were clear about the intentional misdirect.
One came off as weasely, and the other as playful.

benjipwns said:
The quick change pair was pretty fun to watch even if not very "fooling": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrtbiz6C0M
Yeah, not fooling, as all quick change acts are basically done the same, but wow, do they have it nailed down beautifully. And not a lot of quick change artists are confident enough to move that much during their act.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AMUSIX said:
The problem I had with the silhouette guys is that, even when Penn asks them if they made the motion for a deck switch, they lied. You can see on P&T's faces that they know they were just lied to, and weren't happy about it. With the duct tape guys, it's obvious they're happy about it, because they were clear about the intentional misdirect.
One came off as weasely, and the other as playful.
Which act was this again?

AMUSIX said:
That said, what these guys did, and the other ones with the silhouettes, was do the move for a VERY sloppy switch. The fact is, magic is all about misdirection. Make your audience not see something that happens, or think they see something that didn't really happen. When your audience is a couple of experienced magicians, you have to misdirect with something they're expecting to see (like a switch).
I don't think there was a switch. I think there was a complex series of handsignals (+ probably other indicators) that was the key. Watch the hand of the guy taking the cards and you can see that they change with each card.

That's my thought, anyway.

RagnarokX

Planet_JASE said:
I don't think there was a switch. I think there was a complex series of handsignals (+ probably other indicators) that was the key. Watch the hand of the guy taking the cards and you can see that they change with each card.

That's my thought, anyway.
Nah, what they did was they ADDED cards to the top and bottom. The cards they skip because they're not very famous are the ones that actually got shuffled. They are very careful to state that the shuffled cards were in the deck.

RagnarokX said:
Nah, what they did was they ADDED cards to the top and bottom. The cards they skip because they're not very famous are the ones that actually got shuffled. They are very careful to state that the shuffled cards were in the deck.
Huh, hadn't thought about that. Still, that guys hand changes were still suspect...

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
anyone else agree that card tricks are the lowest form of "magic tricks"

Kentpaul

PjotrStroganov said:
No, they are the highest. You actually have to have talent for that.

everyone i know has a card trick they know, each time i get tricked they do it, and i can also trick people with the card tricks i know.

Stand by what i said.

RagnarokX said:

I have a feeling Penn figured that out too. Penn says, even after they had already stated that they were fooled, he still had a good idea how they did it. It was too late at that point.

Korey

VisionaryQuest0 said:
I have a feeling Penn figured that out too. Penn says, even after they had already stated that they were fooled, he still had a good idea how they did it. It was too late at that point.
I don't get how the show exactly works. Like that one trick that fooled them where the guy said that he was inspired by another magician who had the same trick, but he came up with a different method.

If there's two methods and Penn and Teller guess one of them, but it wasn't the one used, does that count as being fooled?

Kentpaul said:
anyone else agree that card tricks are the lowest form of "magic tricks"
Not in the slightest. I find it one of the best forms, as all of the magic happens right in front of the audience, 'in plain sight', so to speak. Putting up a curtain and them performing a switcharoo is less impressive to me.

Kentpaul

Feep said:
Stupid and uninformed.

Its my opinion man, take the elitist high road all you want.

I've also probably been to more magic shows than you.

Kentpaul

jaxword said:
What's the "highest" form?

From using this show as an example, i loved the box under a lamp post trick!

that shit really blew my mind

Kentpaul

Planet_JASE said:
And thus, the opinion turns to fact.

Obligatory: /thread.

key word in my statement was probably

Just because i don't like card trick's that makes me stupid and uninformed ?

Kentpaul said:
key word in my statement was probably

Just because i don't like card trick's that makes me stupid and uninformed ?
No, it doesn't. Being derisive to a highly skilled act in such a way and then reply to others opinion with "I've been to more shows than you" is what makes you stupid and uniformed.

(Sorry, that last part is there only because you set up it so expertly. The rest of that reply is serious. You may replace it with "is what made people reply so tersely.")

You're very entitled to your opinion, as am I, but that doesn't allow either of us to deliver it in such a manner.

Kentpaul

If anything I've found out no one else agrees with my opinion on card tricks, so its been a productive morning to say the least.

The thing with card tricks is that they can appear quite boring. They also appear very reppetitive since they all deal with... cards. Of course the best ones absolutely blow me away, and they show pure skills.

The thing with magics show is that they are visually very pleasing and entertaining to watch. However when you learn that most of them rely on audience being in on it/fake props/hidden wires/etc then the magic disappear for me.

This is why I turn to God and Christianity for the magic the truly blows me away.

god-god-dog-backward-demotivational-poster-1219457456.jpg

Kentpaul said:
If anything I've found out no one else agrees with my opinion on card tricks, so its been a productive morning to say the least.
That's the spirit!

Back on topic: I lost most of yesterday and this morning because of this thread, so you're the only one between us that has had one.

Zomba13

Kentpaul said:
I disagree with you but it is your opinion.
Might also help to not call someone else an elitist right before pulling the 'I've been to more magic shows than you' card.

I personally dislike all tricks that use a screen. Like being locked in the chest then pulling the screen to cover it.
I don't mind screens/covers in quick change acts. Like the ringed sheet cover thing because those are only used very quickly rather than a screen being pulled in front of a chest for a bit while a guy dances about.

Also, I'm up to date on all the Fool Us episodes. Love them all, especially some of P&T's tricks. Most of them I've seen before in their other shows but I can't remember the one with Teller and the money/goldfish. That blows me away.

Kentpaul

Planet_JASE said:
That's the spirit!

Back on topic: I lost most of yesterday and this morning because of this thread, so you're the only one between us that has had one.

I spent a good few hours watching Penn & Teller's Magic and Mystery Tour ,and some bullshit episodes, i just can't get enough of penn and teller, even heard tellers voice, he's got a deep voice for a little guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom