• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us....how did the guy do this trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddenNFL64

Salmonax said:
He's also in Fear and Loathing for two seconds.

This is a great show. I'm getting lost for hours on YouTube clicking clip after clip.

Same. I love the show finale tricks, penn & teller are the best :).

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
big_z said:
been watching this from the start. it sucks that theres no more episodes until the christmas special.

there were two acts that i could swear penn and teller guessed right but the magician(s) lied anyway for the trip to vegas. one was the two guys predicting profile cards where they cut out a penn silhouette at the end. the other was some dude returning to the show but i cant remember the trick.

A third party show advisor is told the trick method beforehand so the magicians can't lie about their method to Penn & Teller.

Kifimbo

ckohler said:
Love P&T! Thanks for introducing me to this show! I'm assuming its a new series? I follow them on Twitter but I don't remember them mentioning they were working on this.

Penn has been retweeting dozens of tweets from the show's Twitter account.

Petrichor

How was "kenny" given a microphone so quickly after being chosen?

In fact he has the mic on when he's supposedly just sitting in the audience. I know there's a small delay between him being chosen and the camera resting on him so theoretically the production team could have quickly sorted him out.... I doubt it though.

LProtag

Petrichor said:
How was "kenny" given a microphone so quickly after being chosen?

In fact he has the mic on when he's supposedly just sitting in the audience. I know there's a small delay between him being chosen and the camera resting on him so theoretically the production team could have quickly sorted him out.... I doubt it though.

When they take someone from the audience and bring them up they generally cut the footage to save time for TV, stuff like putting nametags on or microphones on and preparing them to be on stage. It's not part of the trick, it's just TV editing to save time.

Petrichor

InsertNameHere said:
When they take someone from the audience and bring them up they generally cut the footage to save time for TV, stuff like putting nametags on or microphones on and preparing them to be on stage. It's not part of the trick, it's just TV editing to save time.

Ah sorry I just assumed that the show was live because of the studio audience.

Interesting trick. Derren Brown does lots of stuff like this that's equally if not more baffling.

NICKNACC

Banned
also i am still stumped on the dart prediction one.

how did he get the specific numbers! ahhhh. i noticed on the piece of paper that it does not say how teller won ro sham bo, soo he could have had the other option (penn winning) in the other shoe, and could have put the papers in his shoe anytime after the word creating part. he has said himself on youtube of all places that there were no midgets hiding in the boxes.

zychi

Banned
Synth_floyd said:
Penn and Teller Fool us is a British show where magicians go and do an act and if Penn and Teller can't figure out how they did the trick, then they get to perform as the opening act to their Vegas show.

This is a mind reading trick that the guy did, Penn and Teller said they figured it out but didn't exactly explain how. Anyone know?

Obv the guy made him say the word somehow and you can see his left hand is strangely "cramped" during much of the trick, but other than that how exactly did he do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPK_lGZr1lM&feature=related
pre-determined. the hat "throwing" which led to picking the only guy in the audience with the hat.

just a simple setup.

In response to the OP: I imagined the word brick. No joke.

I remember seeing something similar on the internet where you were forced to quickly do some math and other easy to do things and at the end were forced to think of a color and a tool. Red Hammer is what i chose and it was what the little flash program chose as well. Same thing happened when it asked to choose a vegetable and i chose carrot, it was right.

Guess i'm just a predictable guy.

nilbog21

Banned
saunderez said:
It wasn't mind reading, but it was suggestion. Penn indicated that the the magician's "pantomime" made the word jump into the marks mind. This was done through phrasing and the hand gestures. We couldn't see the gestures from the marks point of view so the word didn't jump into our mind.

Derren Brown uses a similar technique to make you think of a card in this video. This is overly obvious but it is an example of how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0soGZpODgPY

He's the master at this type of magic, love his work.

the fuck, i dont get it. i guessed the jack of spades..

LProtag

nilbog21 said:
the fuck, i dont get it. i guessed the jack of spades..

He makes his hands in the shape of a diamond, very very obviously, then he draws a 3 in the air as well as holding out his fingers in the shape of a 3.

It's really really obvious and blatantly put out there. I laughed when I saw him make the diamond shape.

oatmeal

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
He makes his hands in the shape of a diamond, very very obviously, then he draws a 3 in the air as well as holding out his fingers in the shape of a 3.

It's really really obvious and blatantly put out there. I laughed when I saw him make the diamond shape.

I picked the FOUR of Diamonds because the Channel 4 Logo in the corner.

Jeff Albertson said:
I hated these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJk42LuMqv8

Boring act and I was disappointed it 'fooled them' I still think they got through on a technicality though.

ugh. he just can signal him which card he looks at with his hand that he has in his pants. he always changes his posture. sometimes with fingers open or closed. it's quite obvious. no need for any deck switching.

look how awkwardly he streches his fingers after the second card at 3:04

Rapstah said:
What's the actual trick in the french box act?
The woman is strong and flexible and when the box floats, she's propping herself up using the post or the man behind the box. Or so goes my guess.

magicstop

BruiserBear said:

Fantastic trick... I really enjoyed that. It's tricks like these that have me shying away from figuring out the secrets... Just too incredible of a presentation to want to spoil the effect (as if I could!)...

Also, Piff was fantastic! Actually had me laughing out loud and clapping. I'd love to see that guy live.

Wallach

satriales said:
For those that liked Shawn Farquhar's sealed deck trick, he also does this very good card routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgVwJek-fXY

This guy is really amazing. You can tell he especially loves close-up magic; the trick in this video where he has the named card in his mouth works completely differently for the viewer (in this case us watching the video) and doesn't really work for the audience farther away. Love it.

Has the Prestige one been discussed already? That's the most esoteric reveal I've come across. Most of P&T's cryptic answers have been googleable, but I don't get what they meant by, if they knew everything about the trick would they be able to replicate it. Why did the contestant magicians immediately concede defeat after that question?

It's the second act in this clip, starts around 8 minutes in. The first act was posted in this thread already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9BTB4aApzo

DogWelder

parrotbeak said:
Has the Prestige one been discussed already? That's the most esoteric reveal I've come across. Most of P&T's cryptic answers have been googleable, but I don't get what they meant by, if they knew everything about the trick would they be able to replicate it. Why did the contestant magicians immediately concede defeat after that question?

It's the second act in this clip, starts around 8 minutes in. The first act was posted in this thread already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9BTB4aApzo
Twins. ;)

Ashes

Banned
Wallach said:
This guy is really amazing. You can tell he especially loves close-up magic; the trick in this video where he has the named card in his mouth works completely differently for the viewer (in this case us watching the video) and doesn't really work for the audience farther away. Love it.

Pretty sure it works for the audience as well. Everyone there will have had their eyes on his hands. People in the know would have immediately recognised the
elbow movement 2:58

Wallach

Ashes1396 said:
Pretty sure it works for the audience as well. Everyone there will have had their eyes on his hands. People in the know would have immediately recognised the
elbow movement 2:58

It really depends on how far away they are. I imagine if he's actually up on a stage there's no real way for it to work at that distance, but it doesn't matter. It still works in a theatrical sense since the audience knows he's playing to a particular viewer, so it's actually beneficial to have them in on it for that moment.

Whenever I lost a big pot on the river against a regular in Vegas, I always left suspicious. But what can you do. I just always try to tip well and be friendly with the dealers. Converse, try to get on their good side.

Even in the poker circuit I was in here, some people were trying to learn how to bottom deal and had bought dvds on it. That circuit got messed up anyway with rival hosts trying to bully each other, some armed robberies at other games, so I dropped out.

SmithnCo

Watching episode 6, I refuse to believe the duct tape act didn't involve a card switch. It looked like a pretty obvious switch move he did at the end.

SmithnCo said:
Watching episode 6, I refuse to believe the duct tape act didn't involve a card switch. It looked like a pretty obvious switch move he did at the end.
Maybe that was a bluff to fool Pen and Teller, added specifically to this routine to distract them away from the real method. That's the only explanation I can think of. It ruined the trick when I saw it, but after they said it wasn't a card switch it made me wonder if there's a version without the obvious sleight of hand.

Synth_floyd said:
Yeah obv they're (both?) twins. Penn says "If Teller and I knew exactly how you guys did that trick we would not be able to duplicate it."

So the twin of the blonde taller dude ends up in the box where the chick comes out of? And the dude with the tutu climbs out, while the chick was in there all along? It seems you'd only need one pair of twins.

Synth_floyd said:
Yeah obv they're (both?) twins. Penn says "If Teller and I knew exactly how you guys did that trick we would not be able to duplicate it."
Penn says, "if we knew everything, would we be able to do that act?"

They respond, "Thanks for your time."

Then Penn says "that secret kept quiet the rest of your lives will make you one of the best magic acts the world's ever seen."

Pretty high praise if it's just twins. Plus how do they keep that secret in today's wikipedia'd world?

Well, maybe, I dunno.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Great show. Watched them all.

What is with British TV and really short seasons?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I find magic so fun to watch...then I get really frustrated when no one explains how its done lol.

Loved that show where the masked dude explained all the tricks to popular shows.

God magicians blabber with some corny shit. I went to the Magic Castle in LA, which was awesome, but pretty cringeworthy a lot of the time, too.

big_z

Gav said:
I fucking love this show, watch it religiously every week.
My favourite was the Cubic Act posted earlier... but i loved this one too, and Penns reaction afterwards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBiMo5JvUqA

Cant get my head round how the card got in that sealed pack. Amazing.

this is my take on the trick.

the sealed deck isnt sealed. watch when he takes out the pen, you'll see he's holding the new deck because he made the mistake of not tilting it to the audience right away. penn & teller both call him out on that.
you can also see the bottom flap of the deck is up and he folds it down with his finger. most likely the plastic is glued to the flap to give the illusion that it was never cut.
then when penn gives him the signed card he puts it under the deck and when he removes one card from the deck saying dont worry it's a joker it's actually the unmarked version of penns card he swaps for the signed card.

the trick requires some crazy good finger work and the fact the cards get swapped when the deck is in penns hands makes it even more impressive.

DogWelder

big_z said:
this is my take on the trick.

the sealed deck isnt sealed. watch when he takes out the pen, you'll see he's holding the new deck because he made the mistake of not tilting it to the audience right away. penn & teller both call him out on that.
you can also see the bottom flap of the deck is up and he folds it down with his finger. most likely the plastic is glued to the flap to give the illusion that it was never cut.
then when penn gives him the signed card he puts it under the deck and when he removes one card from the deck saying dont worry it's a joker it's actually the unmarked version of penns card he swaps for the signed card.

the trick requires some crazy good finger work and the fact the cards get swapped when the deck is in penns hands makes it even more impressive.
You are correct about the "sealed" deck being open from the bottom. This is why he does not let Penn hold the deck to examine it.

However the card switch is not done after it is in Penn's hands, that would be impossible. The key to the trick is knowing what card Penn has immediately after he picks it. This is why he says "it is alright if I know the card." Knowing the card is vital to the trick as it allows him to locate the correct card in the ordered deck, pull out the corresponding unmarked card and then hold that position such that he can slide Penn's card in at that spot. The reason he "pulls out a card" after it is in Penn's hand is because there's a card on top of the sealed deck that hides it--the Joker.

As for how he locates the position of the corresponding card, this can be done in several ways. The simplest I can think of is just putting various markers in the deck at specified intervals and then counting cards up or down from those spots--after all, it is an ordered deck.

**Edited to make the explanation less confusing.

Stellares

Teller is surprisingly talkative when he gets the opportunity. Penn gets more of the credit despite him being the brains. It doesn't seem fair, but oh well.

Corran Horn said:
I find magic so fun to watch...then I get really frustrated when no one explains how its done lol.

Loved that show where the masked dude explained all the tricks to popular shows.

Any idea what the name of that show was, out of curiosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom