• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us Season 3 |OT| This One Time at Magic Camp....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Best episode of th season. Jibrezy was super entertaining, and that Pen to Pencil trick freaked me out. Same with the card trick guy. I know it's just "slight of hand" but it will never not make me want to burn these people as witches

Best episode of th season. Jibrezy was super entertaining, and that Pen to Pencil trick freaked me out. Same with the card trick guy. I know it's just "slight of hand" but it will never not make me want to burn these people as witches

Jibreezy can work on his stage presence but he has HUGE potential. He's used to doing his magic on instagram so lack of stage presence isn't a surprise really, but once he improves there he'll be an amazing act

Clydefrog

how the hell did he do "sleight of mouth"

i went back and watched it frame by frame and it looked like the pencil literally changed into a pen instantaneously

i thought it was a special pen or something

obin_gam

I've tried to watch this season because I love P&T and magic. But damn Alyson is a terrible host and just makes me want to turn it off :(

bigkrev

Jibreezy can work on his stage presence but he has HUGE potential. He's used to doing his magic on instagram so lack of stage presence isn't a surprise really, but once he improves there he'll be an amazing act

Dude is also 20 years old. I could barely keep eye contact with someone at that age

Larogue

The host is horrendous. So bad that I'm sure if they choose a random member of the crowd, 99% chance he would do better job than what Alyson did in episode 4.

Emanuele

Neo Member
Anyways, the guy who did the stick figure act, I think decided to put plants in the audience. It really looked his teddy bear throw was telegraphed deliberately to the person he wanted it to go to. That trick normally doesn't need the use of a plant so it fooled P&T

Heh, good thinking, but it's not how it was done.
'Bones' the teddy bear being thrown around is done exactly to avoid plants - naturally that's where you come in and say 'That's exactly why it could be a plant!", and yet, I can guarantee to you, it's not it. Unfortunately I can't prove it to you without revealing methods.
Source? I've been a passionate student of the craft for some years, especially regarding cards!
Also, Dan Harlan is one of the most ingenious creators of magic nowadays, also working hard to make magic a better community overall. He almost got burned during his performance/judgement, fortunately P&T fell for his misdirection (that he had been building since his presentation clip), which was also kind of natural given the nature of his effect.

That being said, I miss Ross and Alyson has been incredibly stiff. Hopefully she'll get more at ease as the episodes go on! Love the show but really not liking her vibe :p

(And as a card magic student, finally seeing the much-talked-about Matty work for a big audience has been mesmerizing. His creativity on technique has been really impressive - and he comes from a really, really good 'school of thoughts' of magic)

EDIT:

i went back and watched it frame by frame and it looked like the pencil literally changed into a pen instantaneously

It was literally 'sleight of mouth'. In some way, I'll tell you that was a kind of 'special pen' ;P

Grinchy

Banned
The new host is just dreadful. They write horrible lines for her and her delivery is awful, so those 2 things combine to make amateur hour. It makes the show look so cheap. I wonder why Jonathan Ross left. One of the best things about the show was making fun of him.

nynt9

pretty sure it's a pen whose one side is a pen and the other side is a pencil. Like half and half. He just rotates it 180 degrees. The reason he moves so cautiously with it is because he wants to show the correct side to the camera at all times.

pretty sure it's a pen whose one side is a pen and the other side is a pencil. Like half and half. He just rotates it 180 degrees. The reason he moves so cautiously with it is because he wants to show the correct side to the camera at all times.

Yep. I have a magic trick accessory like that. It's a clear rod that has multicolored jewels on one side, and red jewels on the other.

Grinchy

Banned
The naked dude trick was one of the best so far. The presentation was hilarious and we genuinely don't know how he did it.

By bacon grease, you mean BOX OFFICE POISON, and now the magician is dead.
XS5LK.gif

RetroMG

The new host is just dreadful. They write horrible lines for her and her delivery is awful, so those 2 things combine to make amateur hour. It makes the show look so cheap. I wonder why Jonathan Ross left. One of the best things about the show was making fun of him.

Ross was on the show when it was filmed in England, but a season or two ago it moved to America and that's when he left it. It's a shame, too, my wife and I both really liked him. (My wife called him, "The Lion" with his long hair.)

I was actually really excited about Allison Hannigan becoming the host until I actually saw an episode. She is so crushingly awkward that I almost cringed my own face off.

So, the fooler this week, who was really good, did a
switch at the end with Penn and Teller? He seemed to make a sort of show of putting that last deck in his pocket at the end before ending his bit and talking with the host.

bigkrev

WHERE DID THE GIRL GO IN THAT FIRST TRICK.

They were spinning that platform around like crazy, crawled under it, did everything to convince me there wasn't space for her to go

WHERE DID THE GIRL GO IN THAT FIRST TRICK.

They were spinning that platform around like crazy, crawled under it, did everything to convince me there wasn't space for her to go

How thick/thin/solid do you think that table is? :p

Also, I think the trap door comment is regarding the switch at the end where he went behind the tarp as she appeared behind the mirror. It's not the best of switches, but it's still impressive.

Bluth54

Yeah I like Alyson Hannigan but hosting something like this show is something she's not great at. I wish they would of found someone who was a little more comfortable hosting a show like this.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah I like Alyson Hannigan but hosting something like this show is something she's not great at. I wish they would of found someone who was a little more comfortable hosting a show like this.

Yeah, that seems to be the core issue. She just looks uncomfortable up on stage.
Every once in awhile there are some genuine moments, but most of the the time it seems like she wants to go sit in the audience more than host it.

Clydefrog

So, the fooler this week, who was really good, did a
switch at the end with Penn and Teller? He seemed to make a sort of show of putting that last deck in his pocket at the end before ending his bit and talking with the host.

If that's how he "fooled them", then that's BS, lol.

"oh you want to see my deck?" *sleight of hand* "here you go..."

Aiii

So not worth it
There's a third guy overseeing that knows how the trick is done and makes sure that Penn & Teller are actually fooled and not just lied to by the guy that does the trick.

If that's how he "fooled them", then that's BS, lol.

"oh you want to see my deck?" *sleight of hand* "here you go..."

I don't know. All I'm saying is that I don't know how he did it, and he made a show of patting his pocket after putting the deck away immediately after the trick. And, does he say something about them seeing not all of the cards? I should rewatch his portion.

There's a third guy overseeing that knows how the trick is done and makes sure that Penn & Teller are actually fooled and not just lied to by the guy that does the trick.

Yeah, they tightened things up after the first season where those two magicians basically cheated their "win".

Bluth54

Yeah, that seems to be the core issue. She just looks uncomfortable up on stage.
Every once in awhile there are some genuine moments, but most of the the time it seems like she wants to go sit in the audience more than host it.

Yeah you really need to get someone like a late night comedy show host who's good at improv comedy to do host this show, not an actor.

I don't remember their names or what episode, but it was in the first season, and it was a duo act where they were in like Victorian times and one read the other's mind.

Edit: Found it. Basically, pay attention around 2:10-2:20 when Jonathan goes to sit. Also, only video of theirs where the comments are disabled. heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLILA3E4eJo
I forgot that I was watching this show on yt back then. Thought i'd just started watching this season but then I saw I posted in that old thread, lol.

Seems like that duo cheated by claiming P&T were wrong on a very technical point. They added cards to the top and bottom and were caught, but it wasn't a complete deck switch. Most magicians on the show just concede P&T got the right idea

New season has been pretty fun but I do miss Jonathan Ross.

Ross added humour. Allyson is just kind of there. Nothing against her, I just miss Ross' one liners.

Jonathan Ross is more of a natural in the hosting duties.

As a magician, I think that Penn and Teller's understanding of the method that Morgan and West used, and the understandings of people who have posted about it, were likely much more incomplete than people give Morgan and West credit. It appears that the method Penn and Teller cited was only needed for a small portion of the effect. That is, they likely used two different methods together that means that their win was much more valid than people think.

The problem I've always had with the Morgan and West routine is that it ruins the illusion of whatever they were doing. Sure, maybe they didn't switch the deck, but only loaded it with top and bottom cards. Or, maybe they didn't do anything with the deck and only signaled to one another with their hands that are constantly changing positions/fingers. It's never really been "how" they did the trick.

The problem is and always will be that they clearly telegraphed something when Jonathan crosses and sits. It is so awkward and clumsy and sloppy on their part. So, when that happens, either a deck switch or a load, it doesn't matter what their method is: everything is now suspect and ruined. And, as Penn has said, once something is known, everything becomes suspect.

So, to reiterate Penn's point in that specific bit: did they do something at that moment or did they purposefully pretend to so something to throw off Penn and Teller? Either way, it's a shit trick.

Bluth54

New season has been pretty fun but I do miss Jonathan Ross.

Ross added humour. Allyson is just kind of there. Nothing against her, I just miss Ross' one liners.

I would of loved to see someone like Conan O'Brien or Stephen Colbert host the show, though I'm sure their contracts for their late shows make that impossible.

I would of loved to see someone like Conan O'Brien or Stephen Colbert host the show, though I'm sure their contracts for their late shows make that impossible.

The PERFECT host would be Arsenio Hall. He has a background in magic and I'm pretty sure his show is on CW too so there would be no network conflicts

The problem I've always had with the Morgan and West routine is that it ruins the illusion of whatever they were doing. Sure, maybe they didn't switch the deck, but only loaded it with top and bottom cards. Or, maybe they didn't do anything with the deck and only signaled to one another with their hands that are constantly changing positions/fingers. It's never really been "how" they did the trick.

The problem is and always will be that they clearly telegraphed something when Jonathan crosses and sits. It is so awkward and clumsy and sloppy on their part. So, when that happens, either a deck switch or a load, it doesn't matter what their method is: everything is now suspect and ruined. And, as Penn has said, once something is known, everything becomes suspect.

So, to reiterate Penn's point in that specific bit: did they do something at that moment or did they purposefully pretend to so something to throw off Penn and Teller? Either way, it's a shit trick.
It's definitely disappointing that they didn't do that moment well. It undermines not only the part of the effect the sleight was related to but the whole thing. Definitely. Just thinking "they added new cards" makes the whole thing trivial, even though most of the cards Morgan named had nothing to do with the move.

I wouldn't say they intentionally played up the moment to distract from the other method they used. I have no problem saying that Brynolf & Ljung did, but the suspicious moment with Morgan & West had a secret thing actually happening so it could have just been accidentally sloppy.

The PERFECT host would be Arsenio Hall. He has a background in magic and I'm pretty sure his show is on CW too so there would be no network conflicts
Good thinking! Arsenio Hall and Johnny Thompson go way back. Johnny Thompson being a producer and judge backstage on Fool Us, who makes sure whether magicians did or didn't actually fool P&T.
https://youtu.be/T6qslQAgKmc?t=143

Ixzion

Alyson is a terrible host and she brings the show down. I'm a fan of the magic, but the way Ross would inject some well-timed humor and his interactions with the guys were the best part of the show.

I hope they don't use her next season or I might not bother watching.

Also, is the editing of the show a bit quicker? I feel like the show cuts between angles a lot faster than in the previous seasons which can make things a little toucher to follow.

I was happy to see Mac King perform again on the show. And I too am glad he didn't do some rope trick because those are the most boring magic tricks imo lol

Audioboxer

Alyson is a pretty rough host, but she's a cool person. Just seems like she is uncomfortable doing it and that is offputing. Especially given the confidence from Penn and Teller and most guests.

I'm going to assume they couldn't get Jonathan Ross back due to scheduling conflicts rather than something nefarious. He did seem like he had fun presenting the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom