• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us Season 3 |OT| This One Time at Magic Camp....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Alyson is a pretty rough host, but she's a cool person. Just seems like she is uncomfortable doing it and that is offputing. Especially given the confidence from Penn and Teller and most guests.

I'm going to assume they couldn't get Jonathan Ross back due to scheduling conflicts rather than something nefarious. He did seem like he had fun presenting the show.

Ross is just an A-class presenter and host. This girl...eh. Not sure why she was hired.

Has there been a better act than Shin Lim yet?

I admittedly haven't seen every single performer (Honestly, I've mostly only caught this by the single segments that are put up on youtube), but from what I've seen, the only other act that impressed me as much as Lim was Michael Vincent.

It's a completely different type of performance and it didn't fool them, but I was really enamored by both his tricks as well as his friendly stage presence.

I agree with everyone saying that the Band Camp host isn't as good.

Audioboxer

It's not like they couldn't see it coming. Being awkward and uncomfortable is literally what her entire career is based on.

True, but there is being charming whilst awkward, and yeah usually that is pulled off when you are a side kick or not necessarily the lead actor.

Ross is just an A-class presenter and host. This girl...eh. Not sure why she was hired.

She's pretty famous and is a cool person, but totally not presenter material, not on a show like this where Penn and Teller are actually "passengers". The host carries the show which J Ross was good at. Even if he's not your cup of tea he has confidence in himself to host. I mean he does have his own chat show and has had for ages. It's more his humour that rubs some folk the wrong way.

Sometimes it seems like there are two equally likely ways to perform a trick but Penn and Teller are only allowed to guess once, so they're not so much fooled as gambled poorly.

Anyway, I haven't rewatched it but I'm pretty sure the clock guy just dialed through the bag. It's not that hard to do.

I liked the poker chips guy, even though you know exactly what's going on its still a treat to see. And Mac King was fun too.

Damn, I went for the printer-under-the-tablecloth theory just like Penn did. The meta-game of contestants placing innocuous elements to try to fool P&T is pretty fun.

I actually saw the P&T show in Vegas a long time ago (at least 10 years I think, crazy they've been doing it that long) and I remember seeing them do the last 4 bits they've done on Fool Us: Blast Off, the fire-breathing, the broken bottle juggling, and Teller with the wood chipper. (For bottle juggling, I vividly remember that Penn also did the "Wow I say every night that this third bottle is really irregular and difficult to control but tonight I really mean it!" thing, and I also remember thinking that was most likely bullshit at the time. So nice to see it confirmed!). I wonder if they still do those bits in the regular show or if they're pulling old bits for Fool Us so as not to cannibalize the current show. With how many episodes they've done and with a few left, there's probably a whole 90-minute show already in the bits they've done for Fool Us.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also saw Mac King's show in the same trip; he also did the goldfish trick then that he did in the episode. His whole show is as funny and charming as P&T said, I'd definitely recommend if you're headed to Vegas.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not sure how he could have done that last trick without a printer?

Love this show, wish there was more like it.

Damn, I went for the printer-under-the-tablecloth theory just like Penn did. The meta-game of contestants placing innocuous elements to try to fool P&T is pretty fun.

I actually saw the P&T show in Vegas a long time ago (at least 10 years I think, crazy they've been doing it that long) and I remember seeing them do the last 4 bits they've done on Fool Us: Blast Off, the fire-breathing, the broken bottle juggling, and Teller with the wood chipper. (For bottle juggling, I vividly remember that Penn also did the "Wow I say every night that this third bottle is really irregular and difficult to control but tonight I really mean it!" thing, and I also remember thinking that was most likely bullshit at the time. So nice to see it confirmed!). I wonder if they still do those bits in the regular show or if they're pulling old bits for Fool Us so as not to cannibalize the current show. With how many episodes they've done and with a few left, there's probably a whole 90-minute show already in the bits they've done for Fool Us.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also saw Mac King's show in the same trip; he also did the goldfish trick then that he did in the episode. His whole show is as funny and charming as P&T said, I'd definitely recommend if you're headed to Vegas.

I saw P&T's show less than 2 years ago at the Rio hotel and they didn't do any of those tricks. They opened with the trick where they use someones cell phone and end up cutting it out of a fish. Also they have a new trick that uses a metal detector and a steel plate of the constitution. They sell the steel constitutions in the gift shop so when you get harassed by the TSA for setting off the detector you can show them whats setting off the detectors is the constitution. Typical passive aggressive libertarian stuff as you'de expect

I'm a show or two behind, but Alyson is still wearing the same outfit, which makes me think they did this all in one day, and that's the reason why she hasn't improved at all. I can't recall, but I wonder if they did all of Jonathan's stuff in one day as well (I don't recall his suit(s)).

I've seen Teller do a similar goldfish trick, so I didn't think Mac King would fool them. Also, the guy who had the binder with a photo of him holding the card while driving a car behind a bus, I just assumed that was an instant photo trick. But it makes me wonder if someone can hear stuff like that when on stage and next to the presenter.

I'm a show or two behind, but Alyson is still wearing the same outfit, which makes me think they did this all in one day, and that's the reason why she hasn't improved at all. I can't recall, but I wonder if they did all of Jonathan's stuff in one day as well (I don't recall his suit(s)).
I'm sure it was done in a short amount of time, but she might also be wearing the same outfit so they can switch out different performances in editing without continuity errors.

jett

D-Member
They're picking some kinda lame acts to be honest. They even had either last week or the one before another similar act, with a "mentalist" guessing which piece of paper belonged to who in a group of four.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm sure it was done in a short amount of time, but she might also be wearing the same outfit so they can switch out different performances in editing without continuity errors.
Yeah, it's filmed over several days and pieced together so that there's always one "fooler" per episode. This way you shouldn't notice that the segments were filmed during different performances (unless you catch the fact that audience changed).

Yeah, it's filmed over several days and pieced together so that there's always one "fooler" per episode. This way you shouldn't notice that the segments were filmed during different performances (unless you catch the fact that audience changed).

Great points. Duly noted.

88random

I'm kinda LTTP, I didn't know there was a new season but

Shawn's trick
is all about the glasses, they had lens before he switched them to empty ones at the end.

Its either invisible inc like the one you mentioned, that can only be read with his lens. Or he have the list written on the lens of the glasses itself.

It actually isn't, glasses are a bait. He said it on his YT chanel. And he sells that trick on his website and from the reactions of those who bought it, I think it's something about the book.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Are they showing new episodes on Friday as well now? One recorded last night and I don't remember seeing the first act.

It appears they may be doing double episodes next week, too.

Bluth54

Are they showing new episodes on Friday as well now? One recorded last night and I don't remember seeing the first act.

They probably need to burn off all the episodes before the fall season starts.

They probably need to burn off all the episodes before the fall season starts.

That's what I'm thinking. Thank goodness my DVR auto records or else I would have missed Friday. Friday's episode was ep 9 so either that was the season finale or there is one more episode

Bluth54

That's what I'm thinking. Thank goodness my DVR auto records or else I would have missed Friday. Friday's episode was ep 9 so either that was the season finale or there is one more episode
Last season had 13 episodes so we may have a couple of more. I don't think the CW starts their fall season for a couple of weeks so we may have 2 more weeks of 2 episodes.

NekoFever

Not sure how he could have done that last trick without a printer?

Love this show, wish there was more like it.

He may well have had a printer, it just wasn't concealed under the table.

I saw P&T's show less than 2 years ago at the Rio hotel and they didn't do any of those tricks. They opened with the trick where they use someones cell phone and end up cutting it out of a fish.

They did that one on Fool Us. I want to say the first season? I've definitely seen it on TV.

The 15 y.o one really annoyed me. Seemed like they were plants.

Camera automatically panned to them before he even arrived and then when the women went up she was already had a mic on.

Camera automatically panned to them before he even arrived and then when the women went up she was already had a mic on.
The method used has zero need for plants. Things can be edited or done in particular ways just as part of the realities of making a TV show but it doesn't point to the method.

Amazing Allison's performance last season, for example, appears to have two different performances edited together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwX4ZamL9mk
Check the way the numbers are written at 4:01. The 10 is one clear illustrative number. Then look a few seconds later. All that changes is how they are written, not which numbers are in which squares.

The method used has zero need for plants. Things can be edited or done in particular ways just as part of the realities of making a TV show but it doesn't point to the method.

Amazing Allison's performance last season, for example, appears to have two different performances edited together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwX4ZamL9mk
Check the way the numbers are written at 4:01. The 10 is one clear illustrative number. Then look a few seconds later. All that changes is how they are written, not which numbers are in which squares.

Hahah, you are right.

jett

D-Member

This was a fun episode, thanks for the heads up.

Is this the first time nobody gets fooled in an episode?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Apparently members of the audience are "pre-screened" so that if a magician needs volunteers, they will be miced and ready to go. But they aren't part of the act.

Apparently members of the audience are "pre-screened" so that if a magician needs volunteers, they will be miced and ready to go. But they aren't part of the act.

I think there was an act the first year where a guy on stage was a plant and wore a mask that he took off after the act? Anyone remember this? Also, I think another act has used "instant stooges" as part of the trick.

I think there was an act the first year where a guy on stage was a plant and wore a mask that he took off after the act? Anyone remember this?
You're thinking of Chris Dugdale. The magician was talking in the form of a video on the stage and the audience member was the magician himself, which he revealed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quhQLOYo3ro

There was another effect which various magicians have suggested to be done with 'instant stooges' but I don't know enough about that area or other methods that could be used to say so and I personally wouldn't link to it.

I thought that Timon was gonna be really simple, but the fact that he fooled them makes him really impressive. I guess it was a genuine "wow" when Penn said it to teller.

WOW at the mind reading. I thought it was amazing, and then Penn made it sound even ten times more amazing.

I have zero idea how that mentalist couple did that

Code words and subtle vocal hints and DECADES of practice can explain some of it but then reading the serial number of the bank note. DAMN HACKS!!

jett

D-Member
I usually don't care for mentalists, but that couple was really impressive. Most of it could've been a really complex code system, but I have no idea how she read the numbers off the $100 bill.

Yea the couple was fucking ridiculous. I know theyre using some sort of code but how the fuck are they guessing audiences names and their relatives? They can't be plants.

The first effect this most recent episode (second episode of the week) is one that I have been working on my own performance of for a few years. In recent weeks, I had imagined performing it for them! I was surprised to see these magicians perform a variation on the same effect.

My variation has the prediction shown at the start on paper and it's visible throughout, playing up the weird sensation of knowing where you will end up. Also spectators mix up the cards and turn cards over a couple more times and switch half their packets. And I only predict how many cards are turned over and how many cards of those are red, since I think that it hugely detracts from the effect to make more specific predictions. I play it up as being uncertain and being nervous about it meeting the prediction, as that is where suspense comes from.

They had one excellent little subtlety that I just love that I hadn't seen before, to pull off the first secret move. And I like that they really were pointing out the time of that sneaky move! But the point to having one of the black cards be of a different suit should be to make it look like the prediction was wrong which builds up drama that will be released with laughter when the final prediction is revealed. I think they did that part totally the wrong way.

Do people think that the extra climaxes help or hurt the effect? Like if it would be better if they built up suspense and made it climax at having the right number of red cards, or do the spades and the odd card out make it better?

Link1110

The first effect this most recent episode (second episode of the week) is one that I have been working on my own performance of for a few years. In recent weeks, I had imagined performing it for them! I was surprised to see these magicians perform a variation on the same effect.

My variation has the prediction shown at the start on paper and it's visible throughout, playing up the weird sensation of knowing where you will end up. Also spectators mix up the cards and turn cards over a couple more times and switch half their packets. And I only predict how many cards are turned over and how many cards of those are red, since I think that it hugely detracts from the effect to make more specific predictions. I play it up as being uncertain and being nervous about it meeting the prediction, as that is where suspense comes from.

They had one excellent little subtlety that I just love that I hadn't seen before, to pull off the first secret move. And I like that they really were pointing out the time of that sneaky move! But the point to having one of the black cards be of a different suit should be to make it look like the prediction was wrong which builds up drama that will be released with laughter when the final prediction is revealed. I think they did that part totally the wrong way.

Do people think that the extra climaxes help or hurt the effect? Like if it would be better if they built up suspense and made it climax at having the right number of red cards, or do the spades and the odd card out make it better?
Does the trick use neuro linguistic programming? Some of what I saw reminded me a video of that I saw a while ago.

Capra

The mentalist couple actually came to my university a couple weeks ago and did a show... No one had a fucking clue how they managed any of it. They were completely open with volunteers so it didn't seem like anyone could be a plant and besides, half the audience were asshole college kids like myself ready to poke holes in their act wherever they could. Didn't see the episode, but they did do the banknote thing to us as well as reading numbers on id cards, guessing names of loved ones, and figuring out emotional connections people had to specific objects in oddly specific detail.

However they did it, it was impressive to say the least.

Does the trick use neuro linguistic programming? Some of what I saw reminded me a video of that I saw a while ago.
No. NLP hasn't really been shown to be real but sometimes magicians use it as a presentation, pretending to demonstrate it while using a different method.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I read an explanation for the mentalist couple that makes sense - he was speaking to her in a cipher, so that certain phrases matched up to certain letters of the alphabet. So it's a matter of memorizing phrases and also using them in a way that isn't obvious to the audience. If that's how it works, then yeah, that is pretty crazy in terms of the skill involved.

NO WOSS

NO WATCH

can't even watch if I wanted to because the videos wont play on cw website
You can find them on youtube. That's how I watch it. Searching just for 'Fool Us' restricted to the last day or last week comes up with some episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom