• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade Kickstarter

Forever

Banned
I think it's safe to say they're going to make it, by the way, so it's really just a question of whether you want any of the rewards.

They're obviously going to massively exceed their goal. What happens to the excess, is it just profit? They don't seem to have any sort of stretch goal. This just seems like a sucky way to make a shitload of money from their fanbase.

I think it's safe to say they're going to make it, by the way, so it's really just a question of whether you want any of the rewards.

I'll be alright not giving out $500 for them to click a Retweet button.

They're obviously going to massively exceed their goal. What happens to the excess, is it just profit? They don't seem to have any sort of stretch goal. This just seems like a sucky way to make a shitload of money from their fanbase.

The excess, they can do what they like. So...swim in it, I guess.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This Kickstarter thing is getting a bit ridiculous. I was ok with Wasteland 2 and a bunch of other cool games, but this is just silly.

If it crosses your personal threshold into "something I wouldn't support" territory, then don't support it. Problem solved. It's not an indication that "Kickstarter is getting ridiculous." This is how KS works.

I would be okay if they sent the money to a charity.

corn_fest

I don't understand the controversy as you present it. What's the difference if the subscription is managed through penny-arcade.com or through kickstarter?

Because they want to get rid of ads, not offer a version of the site without ads.

Maybe controversial isn't the right term, but the spirit of Kickstarter has been to help projects get off the ground that otherwise wouldn't have had the necessary funds or exposure.
This is basically a vanity project. Yes, it would be nice if their users could collectively get rid of ads for a year, but they're perfectly profitable as is.

I'd love Keith Apicary/Nathan Barnett to snap up some of the higher tiers.
Particularily
$2,000 +
Get a 5-year pass for all existing and newly created PAXes (including PAX Dev if you are in-fact, a developer).

$5,000 +
Lunch with PA Business. Have a lunch with Robert Khoo, Mike Fehlauer, Brian Sunter, and Jeff Kalles in Seattle. (You need to get yourself to the venue, sorry.)

$5,000
Play date with Penny Arcade! You and one other person can come to PAHQ (you need to arrange travel) for an evening of pizza and games.

$7,500 +
Intern at Penny Arcade for a day! You'll be put to real work under the supervision of Khoo. (you will need to arrange travel)

$9,999 +
Lunch with Mike and Jerry. Just get yourself to Seattle and we'll handle the rest.

I don't know why anyone would be upset about this.

They clearly said Penny Arcade is doing fine and the content won't change if they don't reach their goal.

Even if they are rolling in the dough, this campaign is entirely optional.

Row

Banned
Aside from the charity work I've always found the guys behind PA to be very hard to like, this just further cements that

megalowho

Is this some kind of statement on Kickstarter? Aren't these guys pretty well off and successful with their business? It's constantly expanding, basically an empire at this point. And they want their userbase to give them a quarter of a million dollars?

I know Giant Bomb got some backlash when they introduced their subscriber program, but they were at least offering exclusive content, site features, a shirt and staff access to go along with no ads on the site. And they offer that for $5 a month, $50 annually (with regular $35 sales).

Compared that to this Penny Arcade thing, and the value proposition of $500 = for a retweet + no ads on the site seems completely fucking insane.

They clearly said Penny Arcade is doing fine and the content won't change if they don't reach their goal.

So it's just an excuse to make even more money from something that doesn't even need to be funded.

Kickstarter is supposed to be to fund things, not just for "yo guys give us some money cos lol you're dumb enough to" drives.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Their business is profitable. They don't need this money. They make this very clear.

So the proviso seems to be they want to put in less effort with their jobs but still want to get paid the same, if not more. They'll make the money easily because of the fanbase, but they lowered themselves to total assholes in my eyes today.

GabbyJay

Ben's Lens Ben's Lens Ben's Lens
The big problem with the PA Kickstarter is there are tons of cool things on Kickstarter that need money to be real, PA is a thing already, and these people will donate to it because they know the name.

Forever

Banned
They're making fun of Kickstarter and those that make real use of it.

It'd be pretty sad if they do reach the goal and end up actually scamming people out of their money.

No they're not. They're big Kickstarter supporters. They've promoted a number of "real" Kickstarters on their site.

The big problem with the PA Kickstarter is there are tons of cool things on Kickstarter that need money to be real, PA is a thing already, and these people will donate to it because they know the name.

Truly feels like the exploitation of those who are loyal to a brand. I mean, obviously you don't have to back it (and many of us won't) but in a way, this makes actual independent and unproven names have an even harder time getting noticed.

Grecco

The whole "Kickstarter is to start things ! " principle is long gone. Tim Schafer effectively changed the Kickstarting crowdfunding game. #gamechanger

marrec

Banned
Christ, yes. Penny Arcade the Series is good, but I was devastated when they stopped making those.

If I were guaranteed that this feature would return I'd donate handsomely to this kickstarter. I never even looked at the strips but always downloaded the podcasts.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I like how the video seems to suggest this idea gestated with Tycho and Gabe themselves or jokes that it did, when it feels obviously like the exact kind of cold-blooded business move of Robert Khoo. That dude is relentless, and all this "free money" flowing across the internet's veins lately probably drove him to wanting to conquer that space too.

This really is total scumbag behaviour. I just dont even understand the point here. If Tycho and Gabe were genuinely kickstarting some game/animation/huge graphic novel or something else, fair enough, but the nebulous goal of not wanting to work hard for advertising to "maybe do other stuff" is just bullshit.

Rufus

How long can they keep the site ad-free with that kind of money? That is, will they have to ask for money again down the line somewhere?

No they're not. They're big Kickstarter supporters. They've promoted a number of "real" Kickstarters on their site.
I can't help but think that this is some sort of commentary. It seems somewhat absurd to use Kickstarter for this.

ZenaxPure

PA already does a good job about highlighting cool kickstarters on their website, though. More so than just about any other gaming website at that. Now that the "mainstream" craze of gaming kickstarters has died down a lot they still showcase ones they think are cool right in their news posts.

Besides, your statement isn't really how this works. There is no way to say that money that would get spent on this kickstarter would have gone to a different kickstarter instead. If anything this could get some people to explore other things on the website who don't normally go there but want to back PA.

Not many NPR listeners on the web this morning... If funded this will work exactly as Mike & Jerry hope it will.

I'm in. I like my radio ad free and I am excited that I can participate in making one of my favorite webhaunts/creative teams ad free.

*Note - I am the personality that will always pay .99 for an app to avoid ads, even if it is the first download. I saw enough advertisements when I was watching cartoons. (King a-yumma-yumma!) I choose to go where I can avoid them now a'days. Thanks for the offer PA; best of luck to you guys!

jett

D-Member
What bullshit? I really don't understand. What part of their pitch is dishonest or misleading?

Zuh? They already have a bunch of money, they don't need any of this. It has to be a statement on Kickstarter.

Honestly, it's their comic strip come to life

i-FKNNKxh-L.jpg

I guess technically the kickstarter on the strip isn't dishonest or misleading either.

Ceebs

I donated WAY back when they ran their original donation drive. I still read the strip and blog posts every M/W/F. Not sure if I will donate though as I am not loaded enough for the good rewards and already own all the print versions of the books.

Kusagari

I really don't like this kickstarter. Just seems like a money grab. I've never found PA's ads intrusive at all either.

Even the rewards, though written funny, suck.

Alex

The 250k is just to pull off the top ad, it takes a million before they go ad free and the chart of plans on the site seems to go up to at least 1.4 million, it just doesn't tell you anything.

Seems really pointless to me, but I no longer read their comic so it's not really something I'd care about anyway. Comes across as a bit shady, though.

I really don't like this kickstarter. Just seems like a money grab. I've never found PA's ads intrusive at all either.

Even the rewards, though written funny, suck.

They're horrible rewards. The concept of what money is worth seems to be dead to them. Still, they're going to reach their goal easily, so I shouldn't complain...

They have stretch goals, like making a podcast (?).

Anything over a million and a half goes towards next year's funding goal.

iammeiam

On the one hand I like the crowdfunding idea--instead of making it ad-free for just the users with money, see if the users with money will float everyone for a year.

On the other hand, their website was never really plagued with tacky ads, so eh, it's not a huge change from the end-user perspective.

I do wonder if, after a certain point, the excess Kickstarter money would just be dumped into Child's Play. They can't spend it all on expansion unless they think they can crowdsource at least that much next year.

Edit: duh, read the Q&A. Still think they could donate some of it.

This from the company that now runs two massive game conventions per year, numerous charity efforts, board games, etc? They could have told their fanbase to pay them any other way and they would have, but this is downright vile.

The Jer

I'm inclined to agree with this. Their post seems incredibly honest and direct. They wanted to make it clear that if people decided not to back it - then nothing would change and things would stay the same as they are.

I, personally, would never donate to something like this. But, I don't have a problem with it and the way it is presented.

Acosta

If I do nothing, nothing changes.

If I do something, something changes.

I'm_OK_With_This-(n1296497202304).png

Pretty much this.

Kickstarter is a crowdsourcing site. This is a crowdsourcing initiative. The fact they are Penny Arcade (or Activision) doesn't matter at all. If people are interested, they will pay, if not they won't. Pretty simple.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
isn't kickstarter supposed to be be for small startups who would otherwise find it difficult/impossible to fund their projects? I'd prefer large/established companies to keep out of it.

Its called 'kickstarter' not 'kickkeepdoingsometingwe'realreadysuccessfulwith'

Gav47

Interesting experiment. However I feel for whoever is their ad sales rep right now. Better start updating that resume.

Read the page
What are your advertising guys going to do without this work?

We're going to shift them from "sell ad space" jobs to "make things" jobs. That's the company we intend to be. They were nervous at first, but now they can't stop thinking about what's next. It's all human bandwidth we can put toward the next surprise.

Top Bottom