• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People making the switch to PC, what's the common factor?

Had mine since February and it's resolutely a secondary gaming platform for me. It is primarily a work machine and desk bound. It's nice to have but it hasn't taken over consoles/handhelds for me nor has it made me want to built a gaming centric PC.

Omega

Banned
1. Counter Strike

2. Choice

3. Better exclusives/multiplats that are technically exclusive since they have negative support on consoles (think TF2/Payday 2)

4. Mods

DJ_Lae

I never really switched but did come back to the PC after years of console gaming (which in turn came after years of PC gaming back in the 80s/90s).

Cheaper games and being able to play every goddamn thing since the dawn of PC gaming (albeit with some quirks here and there) makes it irresistible.

Also, the power.

DukeBobby

The prices. Oh God, the prices.

I can get the latest games for less than £20 at release, or wait a couple of months and get them for half that.

Better graphics and dirt cheap games.

Also there's nothing like KB/M for a shooting game once you get the hang of it. Going back to controller for KZ:S and ISS made that instantly apparent.

neerg

I went the other way, started off as purely a pc gamer (well after migrating from the Amiga - rip). Later in life, partner, kids, well the console is still more convienient and an easier sell to the missus to have in the front room. As good as the pc experience has got it still isn't without maintenance and is not quite plug and play.

alekth

Losing most of my interest in JRPGs, cheaper games on sales, backwards compatibility.

Rediscovered shooters enjoyment once I don't have to suffer through sucking at aiming with a controller.

Also helps that I finally got a 1080p TV so I can just mirror monitor instead of switching main monitors when I want to play on the TV, and stuff looks good. Even with my still pretty crappy video card that's getting upgraded next year.

Well the PC Master Race movement is making this phenomenon become almost obnoxious. However with how Steam has evolved and how cheap you can get a bunch of games on PC it's now more than ever very tempting to switch to PC. Be it steam sales, the many game bundle deals or other digital distributors. Also with most of the big titles being multiplatform nowadays, it's tempting to choose the PC platform as you'll be getting a superior experience + you can have mods. It takes much more effort to keep your rig up to date and technical expertise, but the results are telling. Unless you're a Nintendo fan, they keep those exclusives on console.

ZeroCDR

I've always been a PC and console gamer, I play the exclusives and get multiplats on the best platform, which has been PC usually lately.

Skelter

Banned
Well the PC Master Race movement is making this phenomenon become almost obnoxious. However with how Steam has evolved and how cheap you can get a bunch of games on PC it's now more than ever very tempting to switch to PC. Be it steam sales, the many game bundle deals or other digital distributors. Also with most of the big titles being multiplatform nowadays, it's tempting to choose the PC platform as you'll be getting a superior experience + you can have mods. It takes much more effort to keep your rig up to date and technical expertise, but the results are telling. Unless you're a Nintendo fan, they keep those exclusives on console.

It's a movement for PC but what about consoles?

I haven't stopped with playing games on consoles, but I rarely still play multiplatform games on consoles because I get too bothered by the bad image quality and unstable framerates.

Faith

- Better graphics & customization (graphic settings & mods)
- Backwardscompatibility
- More genres and the indie games
- Controls (mouse/keyboard, gamebad, hotas etc.)
- Multitasking features
- No fees for online-gaming
- Steam
- 21:9 gaming, I love my 29" LG monitor <3
- Best VR experience with the Oculus Rift

I still have a PS4 and a Xbox One for the exclusives. But playing games on my PC is just a much better experience.

Jon Armdog

Echoing what others have said, the clincher for me that moved my brain firmly in the PC camp has been the backwards compatibility. Knowing that I can likely go back to my older games if I want to, well after upgrading to faster hardware, is VERY appealing. To me, its a pain in the ass to set up an old console, but easy to just re-download and restore from Steam. Ive had urges to play Dragons Dogma again, but not wanting to find all the PS3 stuff was enough to stop me.

A second big one, which I wasn't expecting, was modding. Free, fan-made content is unbelievably cool. I had a ton of fun with Skyrim on PC, largely because of the mods available. In fact, playing Skyrim on the PS3 pushed me towards PV gaming.

Lord Phol

For me I think it was a combination of my PC being used more and more as a console (plugged into my HDTV in front of the couch with a Dual Shock 3 available) and giving me the option to multitask. As a teenager I used to chat alot on Skype/MSN, browse the web and "hang out " on social communities, so I was usually more on my PC than on my consoles. Nowdays I just come home and turn on the PC, I can browse neogaf and facebook while playing games on the same screen without a hassle, just alt+tabbing around as I see fit. I almost never get the urge to just turn on the console and play some games because it limits me too much.

Steam, mods and 60 FPS is also enough reason for me to spend most of my time on PC (Skyrim is probably one of my top 3 favorite games ever and the mods have helped alot). I also have a Wii-U and 3DS, but they don't see nearly as much gametime as my PC (though smash will change that up quite a bit).

mrlion

All of the above reasons have been stated over and over again and they are the correct reasons.

However, for me, with the exception of console exclusives obviously, it has the ultimate backwards compatibility as it can play every single game in the industry's existence.

gelf

I've never fully switched and probably never will do but I do tend to prefer to get the PC version of a game for reasons of price and long lasting backwards compatibility. I actually don't care too much about the graphical and performance increases 90% of the time unless a game is totally broken on console.

My next major hardware purchase will be a PS4 rather then a PC upgrade I suspect though because Bloodborne.

kevm3

Best things about PC gaming is the modularity and the convenience. if you aren't willing to build your own PC, it's probably not worth it... but I love the experience of having everything on the hard drive... and being able to do OTHER things and then jump into gaming. I can play all the media I want to, install whatever programs I want to and then just fire up steam or whatever gog games I have downloaded onto my machine and start playing. If I get bored or need to look something up, Alt+tab.

Marow

1) Lifespan

I will typically have all my games available far longer than on consoles.

2) Huge library

There are tons of PC games. Yes, some genres are starved - JRPGs says hello - but it's slowly growing. Just look at what's happened recently. Metal Gear Solid for PC. Final Fantasy for PC. Companies are slowly realizing there's a market for it and you don't have to limit yourself to consoles.

3) Pricing

Games on PC are cheaper, what's with Steam sales and all that.

4) A more free climate

Online games? Create your own servers, not to mention it's free to play online! Customize stuff? Go ahead! Create a community around a game? Easy, you can use the PC for that too! And so on and so on.

5) Today, a PC can easily be hooked up as a multimedia device

Connect it to a TV? Go right ahead. Choose a controller you like? Go right ahead. Substitutes a console instantly.

6) Generally better graphics and whatnot

Well, most of the time at least.

spons

Gold Member
After the initial purchase, PC gaming is much less expensive. Except for the rare game or two, games are simply cheaper, even console ports. They look better, perform better and are playable with either keyboard/mouse combo or just a plain controller. I'm not forced to subscribe to expensive online services, am free to choose between platforms like Steam, GOG or even something like Desura.

I'm completely skipping a gen for the first time since I started gaming. Current gen consoles are walled garden PCs. They're screwing you over, plain and simple.

They're more expensive in the long run because of the (realistically speaking) enforced online services and initial pricing for games.
There's barely any backward compatibility and might even cost you (PS Now or poorly emulated versions of games).
You have less freedom of choice because you're stuck with what is provided in terms of apps with a console (horribly written video players, vendor lock-in music services, etc.).
Lack of mods. Because of mods, Skyrim looks and more importantly: works better on PC.

I just got a Vita for handheld gaming, but consoles? Not this gen. I can hook up my PC to a big-screen TV, plug-in a 360 controller and play some games just fine.

petran79

Banned
steam on linux has improved a lot with hundreds of playable games, some running better than windows.
Ubuntu 14 is a lot better than windows 7/8, same for other distros. Microsoft have lost it clearly this time.

While games like tlou on ps3 are unique in art and narrative and gtav has its own sense of humour, i feel i'd miss a lot more if i didnt game on pc.

Duxxy3

I switched to pc early last generation, then switched back this gen. At the time I did it because I was playing WoW. It was by far my most played game, so I didn't need anything else. Years later I quit wow. At the end of my WoW playing, my wrist was getting awful carpal tunnel. My entire arm and hand would go numb for days. Going to a controller fixed that problem for me. Since not every PC game let's me use a controller it was an easy decision to switch back.

Tldr switched for WoW, switched back because of physical issues.

I switched at the end of 2013.

I had come up with certain qualifications a long time ago regarding gaming such as:

1. I want to own my games, I want a disc so I can replay the game 10-20 years later.

2. I don't want to be dependant on my internet connection because this has the potential of a lot of contraptions/pitfalls in several aspects.

3. I liked the idea that I was playing a version of a game that was shared by a lot of people, no one had a better version and everyone used the same input (controller) as me. It drove me nuts having a subpar experience that I could improve by tempering with settings or buying a new graphics card.

4. A lot of games were exclusive to consoles, games that I liked and there were few exclusive games on pc I wanted to play.

At the end of 2013 and with the outlook of what the future looks like for both, consoles and the pc market I reconsidered those points and came to the conclusion that what once was important to me is either non existant anymore or the lines between both concepts have blurred to such an extend that it wasnt the same anymore as only a generation bevore the current one. I still don't really thrust steam and co, I take part in it but I don't expect this to have a happy end tbh but if I have to follow the digitisation of gaming content then it is most certainly the better option compared to what I get offered on consoles.

The big reason why I chose pc this round is VR though, it's as exciting to me as when I read about new consoles in the 90's. I hope it delivers in the coming years and I want to be a part of that.

Jawmuncher

I can be a cheap ass and backwards compatibility are my two main reasons.
Especially the backwards compatibility. I'm still mad that Console Makers see that as a waste in resources.

Dizzy

Banned
Its a really essy time to get into PC gaming. Rigs are easy to build, steam makes it easy to find, install and keep games updated.

Aldo I think the past few years have msde it cheap. When the 360/ps3 were so old even the cheapest gpus on the market where running circles around them. Now ps4 snd xb1 are out but still they arent az cutting edge as previous consoles have been do you dont need insane hardware to keep up.

Also most games are getting pc ports now. Mostly due to the westernization of gaming but now even Japanese publishers seem to be making a bit more of an effort.

BPoole

There isn't much to it. It's pretty much the stuff everyone already knows like best indie support, better visuals, free online (sans most MMOs), ease of access (I can access my liobrary on any PC), cheaper games, better community (subjective but I have found it to be true), more methods of control (KB/M, and the ability to chose between using a DS4 or XB1 controller), and mods.

The only downside is that it is expensive to start up. I currently have no plans on buying a console. Bloodborne will have to be absolutely fantastic for me to jsutify spending $500 to play it.

Bookoo

It's what my friends are using.

I prefer the PC because I normally did everything on it, but I just recently bought a place and now I prefer to be in my living room now. So I tend to use my PS4 for games and Netflix and using a laptop on the couch for my daily web surfing.

I am probably going to move my PC out of the bedroom so I will use it more.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I paid $800 for a gaming PC in 2008 because I needed a new PC anyway and spending the extra $300 for a proper video card and slightly better processor and RAM than I had intended to seemed to make sense.

From 2008-2010 or 2011, I mostly still bought console games. Because I'm not a day one purchaser, most of the time I paid $20-40 for used games a little while after release. I started noticing that the same games on PC were cheaper, typically looked and ran better, and I could still use my console controller. Also Steam had these full-published packs where you could pay $50 and get like 25 or so games from a publisher, amazing. Indie games really exploded starting around 2008. I remember earlier stuff from that period like World of Goo, Braid, and Aquaria, but as more and more stuff came out on XBLA and to a lesser extent PSN, it became clear that independent games were a big part of gaming.

As years went by, consoles got more PC-like; increasing use of patching, more emphasis on digital downloading and full retail games available digitally starting with Warhawk but ramping up pretty aggressively as MS moved into Games on Demand.

By 2010-2011, most of the independent games were on PC first, or at the same time. Most of the released console games also got PC releases. So basically I could get a better playing, cheaper version of the same game in most cases. I still bought a lot on console, but typically rebought on PC later for cheaper. Indies were starting to have trouble finding their place on XBLA or PSN so a lot of lower-end indies were now either PC-focused or mobile-focused. XBLA got a lot of late ports from PC, but typically these were games being sold for $10-15 that had been available for $2.50 or less on PC, and that continued to get put on sale.

Around this period, indie bundles started. Slow, at first, with the first few Humble Indie Bundles. But then with competitors like IndieRoyale, IndieGala, Groupees, and Humble themselves branching out with publisher-centered bundles and then weekly bundles and daily bundles. Along with this, competition like Amazon, GreenManGaming, Gamersgate, and Humble started selling games directly that came with Steam keys. Since developers can generate unlimited Steam keys for free and give them to resellers, resellers can also discount some of their percentage on the sale and pass the savings along to consumers.

Mods, always a strength of PC games, have gotten easier and easier with better mod management frameworks, including Steam Workshop on Steam. Meanwhile, free to play games have risen in prominence, primarily on mobile and PC--although consoles have made some interesting inroads. The Windows 8 store ended up sucking, so the kind of splintering effect I was worried about didn't happen; you can avoid the W8 store and miss nothing. There has been some splintering effect with EA's Origin and Ubisoft's UPlay--both cases of companies choosing their own bottom line over ensuring that their customers have smooth and high quality experiences. Thankfully, neither EA nor Ubisoft make interesting games so there's no real temptation to have to deal with their services.

Video cards increasingly had HDMI outs as monitors switched to HDMI. I still have a DVI-out video card, but wonderful GAFfer kennah hooked me up with a little dongle that lets me convert DVI to HDMI. So I just run an HDMI cable and voila, my PC is on my TV.

Steam rolled out Steamplay. For me, this is handy. I don't really game on my Mac, but I do use my Mac as my primary computing device. And it's nice for me to know that I can open Steam and play some--certainly not all, but some--of the games I play on PC. Especially the quick 5 minute diversion style games, which actually works very well for me.

By 2012-2013, the consoles had slowed down. Note that at this point, my 2008 PC still played most of the games coming out at better framerates, resolution, or both than the consoles. Some earlier stuff started getting late PC ports or PC re-releases on Steam--Enslaved, Bioshock 2 Minerva's Den, Condemned, Viking. This is a trend that continues today with stuff like MG Rising, Gurumin, and Final Fantasy XIII. The new console announcements confirmed that neither would have backwards compatibility, and suddenly my old 60GB fat PS3 seemed more like a ticking timebomb. GFWL was being patched out of earlier crummy PC ports. Virtual Console on Wii U has been pretty anemic, and Sega put all of their previous VC releases from Wii in cheap, easily accessible emulation packs on PC. Steam cards now give me a $0.50-1.00 rebate on many of the games I buy, which is pretty swell considering I'm paying about $0.50-1.00 for most of those games.

I still bought and still buy the exclusives on consoles. That's why I have a Wii U with some great Nintendo games, and it's why I have a PS3 with some great Sony games, and it's why I have an Xbox 360 with some great MS games and some great PS3/360 multiplats with no PC versions. But this is a shrinking component of my total gaming time.

PC on TV got better as PC devs, pubs, and Valve with Steam started taking PC-on-TV navigation more seriously. Steam Big Picture isn't perfect, and I don't use it all the time, but it's super handy for quickly pulling up a PC game on my TV. As fast or faster than it'd take me to boot a console game, in part because my PC is already on.

Kickstarter and Early Access both became a big thing. Early Access grew out of iterative design, from hits like Minecraft, Garry's Mod, and others. As more and more devs--especially independent devs--wanted to reduce their risk and quit their day-job while working on their game, Humble and then Steam gave them a place. Kickstarter obviously everyone is aware of. I actually don't support stuff on Kickstarter anymore (long story, not because I think it's a SCAM or anything) but it's impossible not to see the kind of creative dividends it's played on game making.

Edit: Also, as Bookoo's avatar above reminds me, holy shit the Oculus Rift. I was lucky enough to try it thanks to TheExodu5, and it really is cool. I can't say that it's changed gaming yet or that it ever will, but just as a party trick, as a neat experience, I'm very grateful for that.

So the new consoles have launched--but with relatively little exclusive content and certainly little must-own exclusive content. Resogun was cool as hell, of course. But ultimately the first years have been hallmarked with remixes, remasters, and multi-platform titles. My 2008 PC can't keep up with this stuff. Note that I haven't upgraded any of the components at all. but at this point if my choice was to spend $500+ on a new console (when you factor in tax... not typically charged on PC/internet orders... and a year of online membership... another PC strength) or spend $500+ upgrading my PC, the choice is pretty obvious to me.

In 2014, I've purchased hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of PC games for well under a buck a game, averaged out. By contrast, I've purchased a dozen or so PSN games, a small handful of XBLA, and a few Wii U, Xbox 360, and PS3 retail games. You can't necessarily compare the scope, since obviously buying Fuse on Xbox 360 is a bigger purchase than buying a dozen 30 minute indie games on PC.

But to me when I look back, it was a no brainer. From the beginning, PC saved me money, got me a better quality product, and I'll be able to play all those games in the years to come. My PC also doubles as a file server which runs my home media operation, and it's where I code, and it's where I edit photos, and it has backups of everything I've ever done. I mean, how handy is that.

I don't see myself as a "PC gamer". I see myself as pretty flexible and pragmatic. The PC works out better for me, and I think with a little research and upfront outlay, it'd work better for a lot of people. But if consoles suddenly started representing a better value or a smoother, easier setup, I'd be on-board there as well. Hell, I don't really see myself as a "gamer" at all. I play games. But I also watch TV and movies, read books, write, whatever else--it's not really a core of my identity. I don't think arguing about the identity politics of kids on reddit and watercooling and meme images is really productive. Buy the hardware you want that enables you to play the games you want, labels are for cans.

0xCA2

Convenience. I'm just not interested in having a dedicated device for games anymore, just like I don't have an MP3 player or Digital Camera anymore. I don't even have an HDTV, I just have a 27 inch monitor.

All of the other things (mod community, cheap prices, wide variety of games, etc) matter as well, but the big issue is convenience.

sqwarlock

While I still buy a few multiplatform games on PS4/PS3, I prefer my PC because it's got so many options. I can browse the Indie Games thread here on GAF to find some amazing tech demos/free alphas/free full games. Then, I can pop over to GOG/Steam/GMG/Humble Bundle and get cheap major releases. Once that's all done, it's time to hop on WoW for some MMO fun. It's just great to have that kind of variety.

Thoraxes

Significantly cheaper games.
Can backup copies of all games owned, legitimately and legally.
They get pretty much all multiplatform games so you miss nothing.
Free online.
A PC can do anything, and is open to do whatever you want.
Can use any controller you want.
Mouse and Keyboard is a supreme control input method.
I can hook mine up to my TV.
Better graphics.
Better resolutions.
Better framerates.
More consistent visual quality with less compromises.
Mod support.
MMOs.
I can upgrade it whenever I want for a better experience.
VR support is coming and will be available for a much larger breadth of games than what's coming to consoles.
Backwards compatibility no matter what machine you use.

I mean, these are just a few reasons I like my PC. I started building my own rigs in about 2006, so ever since then i've always been about building my own systems. I only buy console exclusive titles on consoles now, too.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Emulators run great up to Wii, full backwards compatibility, pcs are cheap now, ridiculously cheap games, no paywall for online gaming, choose any controller type, but from different stores and choose DRM (or not), cracks for said DRMs, mods, indie games primary platform, exclusives, you keep your games of you buy or upgrade your PC.

Also, a mid range card (GTX 760 or 770) will carry you through the whole generation at 1080p 60fps.

Consoles have lost every advantage over PC, games need instalation, are horribly unoptimized, their OS need constant upgrading and are missing incredibly basic features, you need to go through a paywall for basic features, etc. The only real console right now is the WiiU.

Let's not even begin with the games, it's difficult to count 20 worthwhile games on new consoles, vs thousands on PC. And the Japanese games are coming to PC too, which was a key selling point for me.

I honestly don't know how anyone can justify buying a console instead of PC this generation (unless it's a WiiU alongside PC).

And if you say exclusives, that's arguable, since most games by first parties (excluding Nintendo) are covered by better and more games on PC.

Someone pointed that consoles are healthy now because PS4 and Xbone are selling better than their predecessors, which is a really weak argument, since it ignores the slow start of both HD twins, the long life span of both which will not repeat this generation, the Wii, etc. Gaming industry is doing better than ever, console business, not so much.

I'm not fully PC at the moment, but:

My cheap PC can play basically everything on Steam (give or take 10% based on frame rate issues). This spans almost every generation of gaming, every genre, every niche. I made that PC in 2009, with a minor upgrade in 2012. Total cost? $400-ish.

I can use it like a console, I can use it like a PC. There's no distinction. I have choices, mods, small games, big games. Every type of digital distribution possible. That stuff matters.

I still play consoles because I can rent games, and I'm not interested in upgrading my PC until 2016 at the soonest. Plus I'd never ditch my PS2.

There are so many console exclusives,I don't know how anyone could be satisfied exclusivity with pc.

You can't play everything. At some point you'll have to lock yourself off to something. Cold hard truth: you won't play most of the games in the world.

I have access to most big titles on the big 2, even with a substantial wait period for the superior version.

I have a wiiu as a backup and that's holding me fine for now.

Pachimari

The jump to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were the first time I weren't impressed with a generational shift, so I decided to build my first gaming computer.

That was the primary reason.

And now all the console exclusives like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear are coming to Steam, so that's an added bonus.

Also the cheap prices wow.

Another thing was that I wanted everything combined in one powerhouse. Working machine, games and media center.

So I sold my MacBook Air and Mac Mini as they became obsolete to me.

I'm still very much invested in console gaming having bought a Dreamcast, PS2 and PSP again and I'm buying more Nintendo games than ever before.

So many cheap games: in 2 years I bought close to 350 games without spending more then 20&#8364;.

PC exclusive and PC/Xbox exclusive: I never owned a PC or a Xbox console before so ther's a huge amount of game that might interest me.

Portability: I have a gaming laptop so everywhere I go I can just take my laptop with me and play games.

Mods: Being able to mod game is huge for me, I found Skyrim to be bland and boring after 20 hours but with mod you can add missions, areas, npc, armor and a lot more.

Graphics: With only a laptop I can play almost any game from the PS360 era in 1080p and in high or ultra but with I prefer playing it with a better framerate I can too.

I still play on console and handheld though.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I switched for multiple reasons :

Cheaper Games
Independent Games
Emulators
Better Graphics ( I'm a sucker for amazing texture quality )
The ability to switch between Controller and Keyboard
Mods

Swarna

As a computer science student my PC is my "default" device when I'm at home as it's got everything I need in a convenient package. In terms of gaming I switched for different factors initially (5 years ago) but as of right now I can't go back to subscription fees, forced control schemes, the closed/restricted nature of the platform and just a lack of options in general. Console "ease of use" has never been a thing I cared about as I've always been a tinkerer growing up and it's not like PC gaming is rocket science. There's just no notable reason for me to go back at this point and I haven't thought about it once. Seriously, I'm only considering a PS4 as a living room media box in addition to a handful of games I might be interested in for the future but at the same time I'm also tempted to just build a new PC instead and move my old one to my TV...

There are so many console exclusives,I don't know how anyone could be satisfied exclusivity with pc.
Time is a limited currency and I don't play games nearly as much as I used to. Exclusives are also no different than regular games in my opinion. I don't get hyped for new games at all let alone for games that are released on a specific platform, priced at 60 dollars, that I may or may not like. I also tend to play the same games over a long time rather than the cycle of playing a game, finishing it, and playing another like what I see some people here do. Right now I probably average 5-10 hours per week and 90% of that time is spent on Street Fighter. There's literally no room for a console in my life at this point.

Momentary

Banned

I'm satisfied as hell. I miss out on Bloodbourne... and maybe Guilty Gear (if it's never released on PC), BlazBlue, Persona, and Disgaea. I could care less about anything else out there.

I just love that I can get $60 games for $45 dollars or less on preorder. I love that cards give me money, unlocking achievements give me money, and bundles save me money. I also have my PC as a media station and don't have to bother with anything really.

I was mainly a console gamer until 2009. It's too expensive and I have to pay for online play, which is completely idiotic to me. Sure the entry price was steep, but I have more games now than I ever had from 1988 (my first console) to 2009 combined and multiplied by 10.

I have so many options for obtaining games: Steam, GMG, Desura, Humble Bundle, Groupees, Bundlestars, Indiegala, Ori...gin... etc. etc.

Harpuea

I like to mods stuff. It all started with Half Life and all its mods. Nowadays, I finish a game just as is in vanilla mode with nothing modded. Then proceeds to mod the crap out of the game. It adds at least double the replay value to any PC game.

Meesh

I was always a console gamer, period. Now I struggle to make sense of buying multiple boxes when those games tend to end up on PC, sans Nintendo of course.

My goal is to build my own mini gaming PC that'll sit nicely next to my 60' tv where such room is sparse, eliminate my old Sony and Microsoft machines, keep the current WiiU and slip into gaming heaven. To compliment my PC innards I want to create a case from scratch, probably a sculpt of some kind with a theme, although I'm not opposed to wood. Anyways that's the dream :)

Zoon

Speaking for myself:

1. There are very few (if any) PS4/XBO exclusives I'm interested in.
2. Multiplatform games generally play best on a [suitably high-end] PC.
3. I have access to a WiiU.

^pretty much this, with the exception that the wiiU I have access is mine.

wickfut

Banned
18 months ago I Built a DAW music computer, just for running Cubase and Soundforge. Added a GPU and started to play some games. Sold Cubase. :)

Skyrim ENB made me upgrade through 7850 to 7950 to GTX670 to SLI 670s in about 6 weeks.

KyleCross

Cheaper on PC, runs better, and i'll have my games for far longer. In 10 years my PS3 won't be hooked up, but in 10 years I'll have a PC. It's the ultimate backwards compatibility
I disagree, older PC games can become a bitch to run. Hell, I can't even get BioShock to run properly.

Fruitster

A few reasons.

The PC just has more games that appeal to me. I like RPG's and Strategy games, and those types of games are pretty thin on the ground on consoles.

Steam. It's superb. So much variety, there is always a sale or offer on it seems too, so the pricing is a huge drop from what I was paying for console games

I wanted to play Skyrim with mods. So much choice and it makes the game infinitely better in so many ways.

Top Bottom