• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark gave me motion sickness :(

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
First time a videogame's ever done that to me. It's that ancient N64 FPS control scheme... whips you around like crazy.

... does this mean I'm Kojima?

RedNeck rampage always did that to me. Even when my hillbilly wasn't drunk, i could only play for 10 min at a time.

Some first-person schooters gives me motion sickness while others don't; I don't know why. :/

The ones that do include Half Life 1 and 2 and Duke Nukem 3D, however Unreal Tournament games does not (neither does Perfect Dark on the N64). Oh well, at least I can play UT which is the one I enjoy the most.

The last game I can recall that gave me motion sickness that was bad enough where I couldn't play it anymore was TimeSplitters 1 for the PS2 in single player (fine in multiplayer), but that was a few years ago.

The only other games to do that to me were a few generic Doom clones from the early 90's..

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The first Soul Reaver game gave me headaches. You had to spin around way too much in that game I guess.

Ugh...last gen FPS were horrid experiences for me. Low res, either pixelated to hell or blurred to hell with sub-20 framerates being the norm that jumped all over the place, I would get dizzy and the urge to vomit in about 5-10 minutes flat.

tut tut,
that is why PD should only be played through pj64 in high res and a locked tight 30fps. with kb and mouse controls.
the games still puts most modern pc fps to shame (although its story is still shit and Elvis is still putrid)

Redbeard

Banned
Probably the low framerate + those obnoxious glare effects on all the lights. The first level was like torture, I had to shoot them all out just to prevent myself from getting a headache.

Ruzbeh

Banned
I don't get dizzy by games that you play on TV. On a monitor, yeah, because you're so close to it. But not TVs. Does Perfect Dark control like Goldeneye 007? Because I played that and I didn't get dizzy at all. Try to distance yourself more from the TV if you're close to it?

Prospero

Templar Wizard said:
the games still puts most modern pc fps to shame (although its story is still shit and Elvis is still putrid)

But the music for the first stage alone makes up for those flaws. Is that the best music ever in an FPS that doesn't derive from the Bond license? I think so.

hadareud

The Translator
almost all fps have that effect on me. That's why I don't like the genre much ... I'll give PDZ a try though, the 3rd person elements could be very helpful (hopefully)

Juice

Actually PD for N64 was the only game that ever gave me motion sickness. It was a mix of the fast motion, muddy graphics, and choppy frame rate.

On more than one occasion I got kinda nauseous.

I think that's one reason I kinda have a negative impression going into PDZ, even though I thought the original was pretty fun overall.

Fatalah

I have this problem with just about all FPS games. I kinda feel crammed inside the view, wanting to pull back the camera and go third person.

raYne

hadareud said:
almost all fps have that effect on me. That's why I don't like the genre much ... I'll give PDZ a try though, the 3rd person elements could be very helpful (hopefully)
You aren't in 3rd person enough for it to matter. So unless you'll be diving around all day or spending the whole game leaning on walls or climbing ladders you're still screwed.

raYne

Jacobi said:
Maybe it was just the bad framerate in Perfect Dark...
Probably for the original poster yes, since he already stated that it's the only game to ever do so.

The rest of the posters ailments don't have anything to do with framerate. It's just a natural reaction to something they can't handle for whatever physical/emotional reason. Same thing with motion sickness and the like.

Still... weaksauce. ;)

EDIT: just to clarify I meant actual motion sickness, not visual motion sickness like playing a videogame. ie rollercoaster, being on a boat/ship etc.

My sisters say all FPS give them motion sickness, but when you're trying to get some multiplayer going you recruit whoever the heck you can :)

Ecrofirt

Turok on N64 gave me TERRIBLE motion sickness.

I'd be ready to vomit the whole time i played, and yet I continued going through the game for an hour at a time.

hadareud

The Translator
raYne said:
Still... weaksauce. ;)

I know, especially considering what a lumberjack I usually am ... :p

Edit: Actually I take back lumberjack, having thought about the Monty Python song :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Forsaken 64
Jedi Outcast
Perfect Dark (occasionally, depending on the options and N-bombs)

Those all gave me motion sickness. I rented Forsaken and only got about 5 minutes in before wanting to vomit. Jedi Outcast hit me pretty quick too.

raYne

Dan said:
Forsaken 64
Jedi Outcast
Perfect Dark (occasionally, depending on the options and N-bombs)

Those all gave me motion sickness. I rented Forsaken and only got about 5 minutes in before wanting to vomit. Jedi Outcast hit me pretty quick too.
:lol I still own Forsaken. I remember the week when I first got it, a friend came over and was waching me play, so of course since I'm a show off instead of simply turning around to shoot at someone who weas behind me:

I quickly pulled up at 90 degrees strafed to the side, 180'd straight down while rotating and then pulled "down" coming up behind the guy but while upside down and took him out. Then I rotate to the side and pull up but this loop is horizontal and I start fighting some guy sideways.

Then from next to me I hear, "Dude, what the fu.. oo.. urgh" and he goes running for the bathroom!. :lol

He never watched me play again. :/

Smidget

The only game ever that got me sick and within like 10 min was Metroid Prime. I play CS:S, Half Life 2, Halo, etc all the time and that has been the ONLY fps that got me sick... oh and I think Medal of Honor for PS1.

Shiggy

It's the Hollis factor.

hollis2.jpg

Thank him.

the only game that I ever got motion sickness on was Chrono Cross. On a new game + you could fast forward through the whole game, and the framerate dipped so low that it made me feel dizzy. :(

ShowDog

That game made me so sick. The neon colors combined with the horrible framerate and the crap multiplayer mode was awful. Then there was the glitch in which you get punched and the screen gets EVEN MORE BLURRY because now your "dizzy" and then if you die you come back to life and your STILL DIZZY. It makes no sense! Some idiot could punch you and your dizzy the entire game. ugh.

raYne

UltraMarioMan said:
How can you get motion sickness from a game?
The cause of motion sickness is generally considered to be a mismatch of vestibular and visual sensations. However, actual movement of the body is not necessary to produce symptoms. Purely visual stimuli, such as those from flight simulators, video games, panoramic movies, or even the movement of slides under a microscope, can produce symptoms more effectively than does actual physical motion (5). The degree of motion sickness appears to be directly related to how well the visual stimulus simulates motion. For example, high-quality military flight simulators are reported to elicit symptoms in 40% to 70% of pilots in training (6).
^
http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/1999/10_01_99/gahlinger.htm

I had to return Timesplitters 2 because it gave me vicious headaches while playing. That's the only game I've ever had any sort of problem with.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
raYne said:
You aren't in 3rd person enough for it to matter. So unless you'll be diving around all day or spending the whole game leaning on walls or climbing ladders you're still screwed.
perfect-dark-zero-20050518075210520.jpg

If only we were all as fortunate...

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
It's good to know that I'm not the only weaksauce on the board... I just hope I can get over it. I already had to blow $15 for an expansion pak just to play the damn campaign.

Dragmire

Turok for N64 gave me motion sickness, but after I got used to that I've never had it since. I always figured it was the first person view combined with high framerates that caused it (Turok's framerate was high for me after FPS's on my slow computer at the time, and there were definitely smooth parts thanks to all the fog). Low framerates make the movement less smooth. But this thread makes me think unsteady framerates can do it, too. If you think about it, going from a stuttering framerate to a smooth one could have a back and forth effect on a person's equilibrium. PD is one of the worst cases of it that I know of.

Top Bottom