• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peff

Sega "published" Ultimax, but in reality all they did was print a few hundred copies and let Koch Media actually take them to European stores. Or store, more appropiately, because it's absurdly hard to find at retail.

Regardless, Persona 5 will come out and it'll get a decent shipment, it's too big not to. The question is when.

Squire

Banned
2WDvJ8u.jpg

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/563347735823548417

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I have lost all hope in Square Enix. Imho both Games don't even play in the same league.

I'm not going to deny that FF:XV looks pretty awesome and that I'm interested in it, it's just that recent FF games haven't made me as happy as recent Persona games. So I'm a bit more hyped for P5.

Still, I don't think we should have a divide between fanbases with some useless popularity contest. It's pretty cool we're getting (apparently) great JRPGs again.

FFXV and P5 will usher a new era of JRPG gaming! #Believe.

Both games will be awesome, besides we get to play FFXV next month as well!

P5 will dominate 2015 and FFXV will dominate 2016 so both games will get their deserved spotlight.

FluxWaveZ

Comparing both games can be useful, as two high profile JRPGs coming out, but obviously both are hopefully going to be very successful and turn out to be good games.

I saw this in that Twitter link, though, and I can't help but point out how wrong it is:
I think if it was a big, new 3 min trailer of FFXV with crazy new footage it would've overshadowed P5. I think...
People have literally been waiting 6-7 years for a P5 trailer like this. Nothing FFXV could have shown would have overshadowed this Persona 5 trailer (ignoring just how fantastic it is, by itself), unless maybe it was a FFXV release date.

Edit: And yeah, I'm glad Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XV aren't coming out at the same time. That would be bad for both games.

I Wanna say thank you to my family and gaf for their support because of you guys i was able to write a masterpiece so thank you guys i love you baby and i can't wait for persona 5

DNAbro

Comparing both games can be useful, as two high profile JRPGs coming out, but obviously both are hopefully going to be very successful and turn out to be good games.

I saw this in that Twitter link, though, and I can't help but point out how wrong it is:

People have literally been waiting 6-7 years for a P5 trailer like this. Nothing FFXV could have shown would have overshadowed this Persona 5 trailer (ignoring just how fantastic it is, by itself), unless maybe it was a FFXV release date.

Edit: And yeah, I'm glad Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XV aren't coming out at the same time. That would be bad for both games.

didn't a FFXV trailer come out only a few hours before the P5 trailer and the announcement that FFXV Demo would be day 1 with Type-0 HD?

I feel like P5 completely obliterated any news coverage of FFXV on that day.

sn00zer

After Versus13 turned into FFXV I was excited...then when I heard that FFXV had a new battle system that wasnt entirely action oriented ala KH I lost interest. Now that I keep seeing more and more FFXV interview that answer questions with "I dont know, we havent decided, we might work on that if it works out" and Persona comes out with one of the clearest visions for the game they want to make, Im not even excited for FFXV.

didn't a FFXV trailer come out only a few hours before the P5 trailer and the announcement that FFXV Demo would be day 1 with Type-0 HD?

It was hardly any new footage. If you want to make these comparisons (which I honestly don;t see the point of) then look at the FFXV TGS trailer.

Squire

Banned
To PKs point about about MC being more defined: Jun Fukuyama comes off pretty charismatically in the intro from the PSL concert and he's known for playing Lelouch, who's the same way. Hashino said in that New Years interview they'd been working hard on the protagonist too, which seemed odd at the time.

I think MC is probably closer to some other SMT pro tags where he has a somewhat defined backstory. I'm betting that while everything involving Personas is new to him, thievery is not. He's probably moving to Tokyo Bevsuse he did domething somewhere else.

After Versus13 turned into FFXV I was excited...then when I heard that FFXV had a new battle system that wasnt entirely action oriented ala KH I lost interest. Now that I keep seeing more and more FFXV interview that answer questions with "I dont know, we havent decided, we might work on that if it works out" and Persona comes out with one of the clearest visions for the game they want to make, Im not even excited for FFXV.

Im excited for XV, but yeah, that's the crux of it. Atlus showed they're design is complete for the most part. Of not that, they certainly presented the illusion it is. XV is very much still a work-in-progress, clearly.

Jachaos

No, you're looking at a shop menu there, and you're not even looking at a selectable part of the shop menu either. What you're looking at is the shop logo which says "Buy an item Take an injection".

Actually, I don't think so anymore. It is a selectable part I think. The black and blue silhouettes seem to indicate the currently selected option.

These are the translated screens:

The black and blue moving silhouettes seem to indicate the menu item you're selecting. The logo is the clinic thing on the left. I'm pretty sure both options are selectable.

Squire

Banned
tumblr_nb02syIzs51si48w3o5_400.jpg

Could Margaret be a Persona 5 protagonist?!?

It certainly seems more plausible than Sho.

I have been thinking the mask was possibly hint these past few days.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shes in it in some capacity.

There's also speculation (pure speculation) one of the P4 characters will be in as a detective chasing the new kids. Dunno about that, but I do definitely think there'll be a detective.

Actually, I don't think so anymore. It is a selectable part I think. The black and blue silhouettes seem to indicate the currently selected option.

These are the translated screens:

The black and blue moving silhouettes seem to indicate the menu item you're selecting. The logo is the clinic thing on the left. I'm pretty sure both options are selectable.

Take an injection maybe giving you temporary stat boosts?

kewlmyc

tumblr_nb02syIzs51si48w3o5_400.jpg

Could Margaret be a Persona 5 protagonist?!?

It certainly seems more plausible than Sho.
Seems like she would be horribly overpowered as a protag. Same with any of the Velvet Room siblings.

Honestly hope no one from the previous games shows up unless it's a social link character from the previous games like they did in P4.

Lusankya

There's also speculation (pure speculation) one of the P4 characters will be in as a detective chasing the new kids. Dunno about that, but I do definitely think there'll be a detective.

A detective of sorts seems pretty likely, that's usually the case when the main characters are thieves. But why the heck would it be a P4 character? That doesn't make any sense.

Squire

Banned
A detective of sorts seems pretty likely, that's usually the case when the main characters are thieves. But why the heck would it be a P4 character? That doesn't make any sense.

It actually makes plenty of sense that one of those characters would stick with detective work. They were the Investigation Team, remember? Yosuke did the legwork, Chie wanted to be a cop, and Naoto was already carrying a badge.

That's three possibilities right there. You'll also note there are already bringing back elements from P1/2. Returning older characters is also a concept from that area.

I don't nevessrilly think that's what happening, but there's a case (heh) to make.

Jachaos

Take an injection maybe giving you temporary stat boosts?

Huh, might be. That could be cool. So, so far we have speculated either:

- HP recovery (like in Persona Q)
- Fatigue recovery (like in Persona 3)
- Temporary stat boost

All I know is I'm 99% sure it's a selectable option.

Lusankya

It actually makes plenty of sense that one of those characters would stick with detective work. They were the Investigation Team, remember? Yosuke did the legwork, Chie wanted to be a cop, and Naoto was already carrying a badge.
I don't mean it like that. I mean it doesn't make sense for a P4 character (especially a main character) to have a major role in P5. Everything apart from a very short cameo is a stupid decision and I doubt Atlus do this kind of stupid decisions.

artsi

Well... why not? Maybe when P4 protag moved back to his home (presumably Tokyo, "the big city") he became a real detective like his uncle? Or Naoto who already wanted to be (was) a detective?

Squire

Banned
I don't mean it like that. I mean it doesn't make sense for a P4 character (especially a main character) to have a major role in P5. Everything apart from a very short cameo is a stupid decision and I doubt Atlus do this kind of stupid decisions.

Why? It sounds to me like you don't like the idea of it, which is fair enough, but I fail to see how it wouldn't make sense with the right framing and context.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, basically this. Though I'd appreciate it if during some cutscenes conscerning the detective that's on your case you'd just see Naoto in the background yelling at some guys to be more thorough or something. Wouldn't want more than such light cameos.

Jachaos

That's three possibilities right there. You'll also note there are already bringing back elements from P1/2. Returning older characters is also a concept from that area.

I don't nevessrilly think that's what happening, but there's a case (heh) to make.

Since we're pretty sure this game is set in 2016 because of Monday 4/11, I don't see Chie at 22 being done becoming a cop. Naoto at 20-21 would make more sense.

Steel

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised is there is a scene where the group is out of town on vacation and get caught by Naoto or someone working as a police officer doing something of questionable legality. Don't see anything beyond a cameo like that though.

Fandangox

Katsuya_Suou_render.png

Only detective that'd make too much sense for me.

I mean he even has the cat thing going on! Atlus this is a perfect opportunity don't waste it ;-;

Direct Hit!
No but seriously, my GOAT may be P5, but I'm sure I will be pleased with FF15.

Lusankya

Why? It sounds to me like you don't like the idea of it, which is fair enough, but I fail to see how it wouldn't make sense with the right framing and context.

I certainly hate the idea. It's lazy, it would be a huge controversial subject among fans and currently the whole design of P5 tries to be as different as possible as its direct predecessor (within some boundaries of course).

I wouldn't be surprised is there is a scene where the group is out of town on vacation and get caught by Naoto or someone working as a police officer doing something of questionable legality. Don't see anything beyond a cameo like that though.
Cameos galore In P4G and P4 I think. So yeah, callbacks to the previous games as a fun aside.

Squire

Banned
I certainly hate the idea. It's lazy, it would be a huge controversial subject among fans and currently the whole design of P5 tries to be as different as possible as its direct predecessor (within some boundaries of course).

Fair enough. You said it doesn't make sense, so that thre me off. I know plenty f people don't like the idea. Seemed fine when P2 did it, but whatever. I like how distinct P5 seems to be from the others, too.

Edit: Not sure about the "lazy" comment though. I'd argue it takes just as much work, if not more. Old or new, your goal is still to write and portray a character well. Even it was a P4 character, they'd be at a different stage in their life with characterization to match that. Nothing lazy about it in concept. The execution is what matters.

Significant hooks to Persona 4 would make me immensely disappointed in Atlus.

Especially since I'd suspect they aren't doing it for reasons relating to story quality.

Steel

Banned
Heh, I suppose he counts. If there's any one character I could say this about, it's that I'd want Tanaka to return in some form in P5.

I really don't like Tanaka's commodities. Always forcing me to say no to every cell phone call I got on sunday so that I didn't miss his deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom