• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

How do we feel about the use of Mementos in confidants? I'm kinda bummed that a lot of the side character storylines basically resolve by you going into Mementos and deleting everyone's problems for them. It works alright for your crew members because at least they come with you but I felt kinda unsatisfied when characters like Tae, Kawakami, etc. have all this buildup and character development but then have no real agency in the climax of those stories.

PK Gaming

DBR-QF7XUAAlP4K.jpg

Every day, I get more and more sold on this silly pairing.

Source

While I am personally very happy that Sae is not a romance option--I think she's a much better character for it--Sae fans might want to watch this and just imagine the possibilities:

Potential spoilers? Sae voice clips.

Okay that I love you may be the weirdest one yet in a Persona game. You could slip it into a check list and no one would even notice, 2 Loaves of Bread, Butter, I love you, Milk.

It seems a little weird they had extra lines given how tied to the narrative her link is. But I guess they'd considered making use of the skipped link levels.

MoonFrog

Do sort out of wonder if/how different the story was going to be when Sae was a detective in your apartment building. Was she the main adult? Did Makoto exist as her sister? Are the Makoto/Sae scenes there as a vestige of that apartment setting, in part?

Was she like a Maya/core adult interest?

Idk been curious about the apartment building premise the last couple days because of how it's different sounding from the more P4 like setting we got.

Glad Sae isn't an option personally. Already a bit awkward how effusive and gushing about you she is in the final sequence.

Wish they'd done her getting "right" with the group better, especially Sojiro. As is she is sort of awkwardly hanging on like when outside the cafe at the end or telling you how important you are to her. At least you can also play it as awkward/not completely trusting.

But yeah that's another respect in which I find the ending of P5 awkward.

Jintor

i like kawakami a lot but man the romance thing just really sours me on the whole dealie

pls don't bone your students

(takemi loopholes this because ethically speaking doctors should try and avoid boning their patients but it's probably alright to bone your support staff)

(...but not your underage support staff)

-Horizon-

While I am personally very happy that Sae is not a romance option--I think she's a much better character for it--Sae fans might want to watch this and just imagine the possibilities:

Potential spoilers? Sae voice clips.

Actual-best-non-playable-girl-that-should've-been-playable-and-hopefully-will-be-playable-in-the-obviously-will-be-one-day-released-enhanced-version

Mediking

Makoto is so insistent that Joker pretends to be her boyfriend... ;D

And Haru reminds me of a soft spoken Mitsuru. Just not as directive.

Ending game confidant spoilers:
So during the month of January only the person you romance and non-party Confidants whom you've maxed are actually shown attempting to get you out of Juvie. I think at the end there are a few other scenes like this as well like the going out and saying 'goodbye'.

How come your teammates are shown like this, even if you did max out their confidants?

Aters

Actual-best-non-playable-girl-that-should've-been-playable-and-hopefully-will-be-playable-in-the-obviously-will-be-one-day-released-enhanced-version

The original concept was that MC actually lives with her, but it was scrapped because that would be too similar to P4. Also, Hifumi Togo was originally a playable character. I think the reason they changed that was since MC no longer lives with Sae, they need another party member to establish a intimate relationship between her and the phantom thieves, hence Makoto. And Makoto shares some similar traits with Hifumi (both are the intelligent type), so she's out. This explains that Hifumi has the most half-assed introduction among all supporting characters. Basically MC just heard a rumor about a pretty girl that plays chess and decided to "check her out". I don't think they are gonna change that in a hypothetical remake, although I'd trade Makoto for Hifumi without hesitation.

The original concept was that MC actually lives with her, but it was scrapped because that would be too similar to P4. Also, Hifumi Togo was originally a playable character. I think the reason they changed that was since MC no longer lives with Sae, they need another party member to establish a intimate relationship between her and the phantom thieves, hence Makoto. And Makoto shares some similar traits with Hifumi (both are the intelligent type), so she's out. This explains that Hifumi has the most half-assed introduction among all supporting characters. Basically MC just heard a rumor about a pretty girl that plays chess and decided to "check her out". I don't think they are gonna change that in a hypothetical remake, although I'd trade Makoto for Hifumi without hesitation.

That explains why my feelings for both characters are similar.

But no. I had to end up accidentally romancing Ann. I didn't even like Ann in that way. While Makoto and Hifumi links were left unfinished.

MoonFrog

My expectation going in was that I lived in an apartment building and that Kawakami and Iwai were my neighbors. This comes from reading an old E3 (or something) article years before I had any interest in the game and purposefully avoiding content on the game after I was interested in it. The whole apartment building with Sae thing seems to have been the state of the game when I got my information, although I don't know how much it was just me assuming that the other adults they showed over time also lived in the building and I had either not taken Sae in at all or thought Kawakami was Sae :p.

But in anycase, thinking of an apartment building setting with a variety of adult neighbors is interesting to me. Although I guess that is what it never was if they thought it was too close to P4? Given the Nanako/Dojima parallels they did end up putting you with, I'm guessing Sae must have originally been a female Dojima for them to think it was too close.

Here I was thinking she'd be like a mix of Makoto/Maya when this topic resurfaced, but, again, I was never paying attention to closely back in the day :p.

I also do think it is curious to consider if Makoto existed at all in that old paradigm. I don't think we know either way? I was alluding to a reading similar to Aters in this respect above and it sounds plausible to me, but I don't think we know that?

But yeah, I thought P5 was going to be the apartment building game and was a bit confused when it wasn't and had no idea why I thought that until they brought up what they'd shown in the past. That apartment game in my imagination is definitely further from P4 than what they ended up with :p.

Rainy

Banned
I finished Makoto's S. Link yesterday, I didn't romance her. The social link kinda sucked in general, I didn't like it at all. Didn't care for all the Eiko shit.

Aters

I finished Makoto's S. Link yesterday, I didn't romance her. The social link kinda sucked in general, I didn't like it at all. Didn't care for all the Eiko shit.

Yep. Her link is weaker than many supporting characters'. Make you wonder if she was added in afterwards.

MoonFrog

I don't think her link is that bad, and also the standard of "worse than some supporting characters" is misleading. I'd say that about all of the main cast to varying degrees.

I do think a) the romantic angle is undercooked (something she shares with Ann and most the adults), b) the investigation content is boring when it could've been fun, goofy, and "anime" like it is when she stalks you, c) the Eiko storyline does not turn back on Makoto herself often enough: the whole thing is about her but it would've been better to get more about her dad, her sister, her existential crisis in her link, and d) it is in these respects in stark contrast to her main story content which is one of and perhaps the best done in the group.

I do think Ann and Haru have similarly lackluster links for their own reasons. I don't think Makoto is singular in this respect.

I do wish they'd give it another pass in a Crimson remake. It would elevate an already great character.

Mediking

Kinda lost a little bit of respect for Futaba when she blatantly calls Mishima a "NPC" in her social link. I was like... Jeez. The guy is already a punching bag and has a messed up past. Leave him alone. Tease "Inari" all you want but don't be a savage to Mishima like that.

I still think Futaba is awesome though. But why do we hafta buy stuff for her when she doesn't even battle with monsters???

-Horizon-

I mean I'm perfectly fine with what we got since Sojiro is great but yooooo, I can't stop imagining what could've been now.
Playable Hifumi would've been cool too with her going all chuuni every time she summons her persona or when getting the all out attack cut.

Top Bottom