• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Jiraiza

I chose HIfumi as my romance partner for the first playthrough. Very cute, would romance again.

However, the MVP SL goes to Sojiro.
God bless him and his daughter and new son. Made me shed a tear. Fuck that uncle.

Brakke

Banned
Akechi is literally under the "Party" section of the OP.

Yeah I was gunna say. It's also SUPER OBVIOUS he'll end up joining within like five minutes of meeting him. Hell, once you have his slink unlocked, just go check Confidant screen for his abilities and you'll know.

mdubs

Banned
Finished Makoto's social link. Did the romance route first before reloading.

Rank 10 was cute, but not as cute as Ann's rank 9 and 10.

Makoto is still pretty great though, but I am just an Ann Man

Dmax3901

Ok so a couple of questions.

First, during summer break people keep calling me at night saying they'll drop by tomorrow, it seems to be deepening our bond but never actually going up a rank? Am I doing something wrong here/wasting my precious, precious time?

Second, is it possible to 'run out of time' to max out confidant ranks? For example when I approach the end of the game will there be a deadline as always?

NotLiquid

This might be a hard question to answer cause I have to imagine there's some biases that require overlooking but who do you guys think has the best "romance" links out of the characters? And I mean more than just "I like this character/their design" (though obviously bonus points if your anticipation paid off). For example, I like Naoto the most out of P4's characters but I thought Rise's romantic social link was more rewarding. I'm wondering if any similar feelings might apply for anyone in this game.

DNAbro

Ok so a couple of questions.

First, during summer break people keep calling me at night saying they'll drop by tomorrow, it seems to be deepening our bond but never actually going up a rank? Am I doing something wrong here/wasting my precious, precious time?

Second, is it possible to 'run out of time' to max out confidant ranks? For example when I approach the end of the game will there be a deadline as always?

The hangouts give you more points into a rank up so if you are currently on a "your bond won't grow at this time" it is 100% worth it to hang out with them. You may be "wasting" your time. I still like to do them because you can only see those scenes once.

Also yeah it is very possible to run out of time to max everything. You aren't really expected to do it on the first try. It becomes much easier on NG+.

Pics for all the rip-off costume and persona DLCs.

http://imgur.com/a/XXlg5
Ann Cathering and Makoto Katherine are so good. Too bad I'll have the platinum by the time those costumes even release...

This might be a hard question to answer cause I have to imagine there's some biases that require overlooking but who do you guys think has the best "romance" links out of the characters? And I mean more than just "I like this character/their design" (though obviously bonus points if your anticipation paid off). For example, I like Naoto the most out of P4's characters but I thought Rise's romantic social link was more rewarding. I'm wondering if any similar feelings might apply for anyone in this game.
P4 I expected Naoto to be my least favorite, and she ended up as my favorite character and romantic link. A lot of the reason for the romantic link though is her Valentine's event from Golden.

P5 I expected Futaba to be my favorite character, and for the first time expectations lined up. Though I didnt see coming how great she really was. Such a good character

Sciel

Now that I've plat the game, I guess i'll list down the confidants i liked the most (from top to bottom).

1. Hierophant=Hermit
I really liked these two. Sojiro's for how family-themed it was and Futaba because it had a lot of cute/lul-worthy moments (THAT CATHERINE CAMEO) and lots of character growth.
2. Temperance=Death=Empress
I liked the themes that these confidant's dealt with, especially the first two
3. Emperor
He's hilarious
4. Devil
The reason for this is it has ties to the main story and its implied that her partner was one of Akechi's victims
5. Tower=Fortune
6. Lovers=Chariot=Priestess
7. Star=Sun
Hifumi's chunibyuu antics were cute but other than that both confidants were somewhat boring-ish
8. Hanged Man
I won't lie, I didn't care much for Iwai nor his story.
9. Moon
Not a fan of Mishima

Devil Confidant Abilities are
absolute garbage though. Borderline useless, they really need to rework them to something more useful in the enhanced port. Maybe some reduced shadow aggro distance or something

Dmax3901

The hangouts give you more points into a rank up so if you are currently on a "your bond won't grow at this time" it is 100% worth it to hang out with them. You may be "wasting" your time. I still like to do them because you can only see those scenes once.

Also yeah it is very possible to run out of time to max everything. You aren't really expected to do it on the first try. It becomes much easier on NG+.

So I went back to playing after reading this and I kinda wish I hadn't asked. It really took the wind out of my sails knowing I'd have to go into NG+ to see all the little side stories. I'll get over it I'm sure. (also not blaming you lol)

So I went back to playing after reading this and I kinda wish I hadn't asked. It really took the wind out of my sails knowing I'd have to go into NG+ to see all the little side stories. I'll get over it I'm sure. (also not blaming you lol)
P4G I played with a 1 playthrough max slink guide since after p3 I didn't want to miss anything again. However if I would've realized I would like P4G as much as I did I would've skipped the guide and done the ng+ run. With p5 I skipped the guide and expect to do ng+ since I'm really enjoying it again.

Granted even if you really enjoy it, ng+ can be hard to justify since it can still be another 60+ hours

Dmax3901

P4G I played with a 1 playthrough max slink guide since after p3 I didn't want to miss anything again. However if I would've realized I would like P4G as much as I did I would've skipped the guide and done the ng+ run. With p5 I skipped the guide and expect to do ng+ since I'm really enjoying it again.

Granted even if you really enjoy it, ng+ can be hard to justify since it can still be another 60+ hours

That's the thing I'm enjoying myself, and I feel NG+ could be worth it just for the trophies/perfectionist dopamine, but there's just. No. Time.

Zafir

I went in from the beginning not following a guide because I just knew following a guide would take away a lot of the enjoyment for me. I'm not one for having to follow some super strict schedule, that's just a sure fire way to burn out on something even if I'm a little sad I wouldn't see it all. I just accepted that I wouldn't see everything.

That said I ended up enjoying the game enough that I went straight into NG+. So I guess it didn't matter in the end. In NG+ it's a lot easier to do everything since you aren't being blockaded by the ridiculous social stat requirements anymore. Plus if you'd got the Fortune arcana up in your first playthrough you can just use her to boost affinity as soon as you meet her. I've not been following any answer guides or anything and I've maxed a good amount of social links despite only being in summer.

Thud

Yeah not maxing fortune on the first playtrough was a mistake. I'm following that non spoilers guide and make adjustments.

Last night Ryuuji called for fishing so yeah I rather did that then do Makoto's confidant. It unlocks Ichigaya which I need for that guardian trophy.

Finished a few more

Empress

So Haru comes so late in the game,
I wasn't expecting to be able to finish her confidant off. Her confidant, like the rest of the party members is follow up on her main story plot line and the aftermath of that. She has to know who to trust now that she is the majority shareholder of Okumura foods and she's still stuck getting married to the asshole rich guy. She passes the time with her green thumb and will grow SP recovery items for you. The story comes to a satisfactory conclusion tying in both her love of gardening to her trust in some of the board members and also goes into the further history of Okumura Foods with Haru's grandfather. Really liked this confidant, it's very similar to Mitsuru but Mitsuru is a cartoonish character compared to Haru.

It's also very depressing rejecting her romantic advances, she seems so distraught.

Not a fan of her new Personal, that seems to be a theme with these characters. It just doesn't fit her at all compared to Milady.

Hermit

Again, Futuba is following up on her main story, but this time we have to help her expand her world since she's still afraid of doing things and meeting people. So she creates a promise list, I promise to go out alone, I promise to talk to another person my age, that kind of stuff. It's all really cute.
Rejecting her was also pretty depressing since she seems to have gotten so attached to you, but hey, the promise was that she had to get by without you.

Hanged Man

You got my Yakuza in my Persona game,
SEGA. What if Kazuma Kiryu created a model gunshop instead of an orphanage. Another likeable confidant, with a really touching ending between a father and son.

Strength

So they redid the empress link from Persona 4. Are Caroline and Justine really Margaret and Elizabeth? Who knows, they sure don't tell you. I thought it was funny how your dialogue options are all pretty much "..." , "am I done now" and "where's my prize?". It's a pretty whatever confidant.

Astral

Yeah I was gunna say. It's also SUPER OBVIOUS he'll end up joining within like five minutes of meeting him. Hell, once you have his slink unlocked, just go check Confidant screen for his abilities and you'll know.

Damn I actually would've preferred not to know this. He's felt like such a wild card so far. I can't tell if he's a villain or some kind of anti-hero. He's on the box art but doesn't seem like part of the main party. He's just super shady to me. Knowing that he joins though kinda confirms one of my suspicions of him.

Finished a few more

Empress

So Haru comes so late in the game,
I wasn't expecting to be able to finish her confidant off. Her confidant, like the rest of the party members is follow up on her main story plot line and the aftermath of that. She has to know who to trust now that she is the majority shareholder of Okumura foods and she's still stuck getting married to the asshole rich guy. She passes the time with her green thumb and will grow SP recovery items for you. The story comes to a satisfactory conclusion tying in both her love of gardening to her trust in some of the board members and also goes into the further history of Okumura Foods with Haru's grandfather. Really liked this confidant, it's very similar to Mitsuru but Mitsuru is a cartoonish character compared to Haru.

It's also very depressing rejecting her romantic advances, she seems so distraught.

Not a fan of her new Personal, that seems to be a theme with these characters. It just doesn't fit her at all compared to Milady.
I really liked this character and link far more than I ever expected. Shes so sweet, and despite her naivety she always comes off as realistic and strong. I really agree with your comparison. That rejection though

Hermit

Again, Futuba is following up on her main story, but this time we have to help her expand her world since she's still afraid of doing things and meeting people. So she creates a promise list, I promise to go out alone, I promise to talk to another person my age, that kind of stuff. It's all really cute.
Rejecting her was also pretty depressing since she seems to have gotten so attached to you, but hey, the promise was that she had to get by without you.
When you don't reject her its really cute since it plays off of the list in the most adorable way possible.

Astral

Tears ..
I hope you're ready for them

Speaking of this, how would you guys rank the Valentine's Day scenes as well as the rejections? I'm nowhere near but I wanna prepare myself. Chie has the best date scene and rejection scene in P4. Her rejection was especially brutal. The girl's self esteem was completely crushed.

Thud

Speaking of this, how would you guys rank the Valentine's Day scenes as well as the rejections? I'm nowhere near but I wanna prepare myself. Chief has the best date scene and rejection scene in P4. Her rejection was especially brutal. The girl's self esteem was completely crushed.

Chief?

Didn't know you could romance dojima.

Speaking of this, how would you guys rank the Valentine's Day scenes as well as the rejections? I'm nowhere near but I wanna prepare myself. Chief has the best date scene and rejection scene in P4. Her rejection was especially brutal. The girl's self esteem was completely crushed.
I mentioned it a couple pages back, but chie and Naoto have by far the most brutal rejection scenes. Naoto has by far my favorite Valentine's day scene.

With P5 I've only seen the rank 9-10 romance for Futaba, Ann, and Kawakami. I reloaded after Ann and Kawakami. Futaba has been the best, with Ann being the weakest. I'll harem it up in NG+ just to see everything

whelp, going the harem route, couldn't decide between Makoto, Takemi, and Kawakami...already have a steel heart from my swaggin and baggin from P4G

#noregrets
#sorrynotsorry

Gamefaqs hate Makoto
Why?

I really liked this character and link far more than I ever expected. Shes so sweet, and despite her naivety she always comes off as realistic and strong. I really agree with your comparison. That rejection though

When you don't reject her its really cute since it plays off of the list in the most adorable way possible.
I've got a save of her before rank 9 so I'll be sure to check it out

I almost wish they had picked a different game than Devil Summoner, maybe something like Soul Hackers. Nemissa costumer for Ann? Who says no?

I mean, they didn't even give the Maya jacket to anyone for the Persona 2 outfits, I don't see why you'd think Atlus would make smart decisions about this stuff.

sense

Futaba is like Nanako to me so except her everybody else is getting romanced lol. Don't plan on replaying a 100 hr game for the foreseeable future so going all out and getting ready for a lot of hurt on Valentine's Day I guess !!! Close call between takemi and makoto for best girl though.

aly

Yeah I know she's only like a year younger but there's something gross about romancing Futaba to me. I feel like she needs protection and friends more than romance.

Speaking of this, how would you guys rank the Valentine's Day scenes as well as the rejections? I'm nowhere near but I wanna prepare myself. Chie has the best date scene and rejection scene in P4. Her rejection was especially brutal. The girl's self esteem was completely crushed.

Lol , that imply i would replay the game enough times to see each christmas and valentine event.

I've played this game much but i certainly didn't play that much

Astral

Lol , that imply i would replay the game enough times to see each christmas and valentine event.

I've played this game much but i certainly didn't play that much

I'll probably play the game twice at most. I'm definitely picking Tae as my date since she's my first love and all. I can't imagine the adults being too hurt during the rejection events. Then again I'm surprised how quick they are to date a teenager in the first place. Tae was all like "you're a minor I'll think about it" and then the next day "you are my boyfriend after all."

Curufinwe

Yeah I know she's only like a year younger but there's something gross about romancing Futaba to me. I feel like she needs protection and friends more than romance.

How did you feel about Ayane Matsunaga?
maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom